Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar (support) Just a heads up

MaldreanMaldrean Member UncommonPosts: 12

So i will try to make this as short as i can. I got hacked on the 12th and was in correspondence with them tell the 29th. first they locked my account 2 days after i told them i was hacked. Then they told me they would not be reinstating my items cash or anything in my alt banks i was lvl 43 and had a lvl 20 banker both crafters up to max to play the auction house on both toons.

now you might say thats starting gear who cares. Well look at it this way they told me they would reinstate 3 times per account. thats 3 items per account and if your account got hacked and you lost all your raiding gear flasks or anything of the like  they will give you a green set of starter gear. for your account. BUT  Dont worrie they will catch the person  that took your stuff and ban there account now because i can feel they hate as i type this i am going to copy a few emails over so you can read them for your self.

Melissa "Schrodinger" (WildStar Player Support)

Jun 24 22:27

Hello,

My name is Melissa and I am one of the Leads for the WildStar customer support team. I want to give you an update on where we are with account compromise restorations. Given the volume of these tickets and the type of update this will be sent as a form letter to share an update with where we are currently at with your and other player’s compromise tickets. This is a lengthy communication, but some of you have been waiting a number of days for an update. I also know that there are some folks that only want an update and aren’t interested in the background details. So my contact will have both cliffnotes and a breakdown with additional information to follow.

Cliffnotes:

•    Anyone that is getting this communication is receiving a set of gear that we’ve put together for your class and level.  This allows us to get you back into the game and playing without waiting days. 
• We will not be able to offer you additional restorations once this is completed. We do not like to do this. For more on why, please read below to better understand the 2 stages of an account compromise restoration.
• We will keep your ticket On-Hold so that you can tell when your ticket is being worked on and the set of gear has been granted.
• If you have not added 2 Step Verification, and we provide you with a restoration, we may not be able to offer you additional restorations if your account were to become compromised again. Here is a link for 2 Step Verification

https://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/53257786-Two-Step-Verification-Setting-Up-and-Rewards

The full details:

At the moment we have account compromise tickets that are over 7 days old, and are still waiting for restorations. Some players have gear and are missing only money, where others have no gear and no money.  Our team has been working hard to recover all players’ accounts to help get you back in the game and able to play in every case.  Others have already received an initial restoration and are now asking for additional materials.   

Given the daily volume of new account comprises tickets is rising, we have had to adjust our views on how we approach these tickets. The alternative would be a wait time that may go over 7 days before you can get your first restoration. We do not want this, nor do we expect that you want to wait this long.

We have worked closely with our developers to create a set of gear that all characters level 10 or higher will be given. These sets of gear take into consideration your class and that you need help getting back into the game and playing. Unfortunately because of the continued incoming volume and the amount of accounts that remain unsecured, this is the only restorations we will be able to offer you. We will start sending out these gear packages later today to each of your characters that are over level 10.
If you do not already have 2 Step Verification on your account, I highly recommend you add it between now and when we begin to offer you the set of items for your characters. As we may not offer this again if your account becomes compromised again - https://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/53257786-Two-Step-Verification-Setting-Up-and-Rewards

This is not the solution that we want to take (we want everyone to be back to where they were before being accessed), but this is the solution that allows us to take the second step in an account compromise investigation. Hunting down and catching the people that did this to your account. Players do not often think about the amount of time needed to track down the people that accessed and stole your items and gold and deal sift justice.

Something that is also not commonly known, all of those gold sellers, boters and teleport hackers are most likely because of an account that was compromised. The Real Money Traders do not care about these accounts, they only care about having gold in their coffers so they can sell to players in game that support this trade. They benefit from players that do not have 2 Step Verification, so please also encourage your guild mates, friends and family to add 2 Step Verification to their accounts as well.

We hope that you understand that this step is not the solution that anyone on our team wants to take. This is the step we are taking to prevent you from having to wait for days. And the benefit allows us to track down and act with justice against those accounts that benefited from your situation.

ok so the long and short of it is. On the 12th i got hacked and on the 14th they locked my account then on the 18th

They unlocked my account after I sent in  another Email saying i had the 2 step and sms on my email on the 22nd they told me

not only Would they not be giving me my stuff back Or my cash. Finaly On the 29th they told me they would give me a refund.

Its a great game and a lot of fun But Again if you were raiding for a year and got hacked lost everything and then they tell you to bad.

we have to tell the companey. THATS NOT OK. they told me they would give me 3 items back lol.

I told them give me my 60 bucks back. and my brother my buddy and 4 of my guild all spoke with are wallets.

I had high hopes with this game but no phone support

no direct support as in web chat. In the rush to raid losing 18 days because they will not give you your stuff back no thanks.

good luck to you if you play and good luck to you if you dont 

oo and by the way you can get hacked with a authenticator on your account if you don't believe me Google it.

Comments

• RoedRoed Member UncommonPosts: 4

Shoulda used an authenticator ;)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Roed

Shoulda used an authenticator ;)

Also, format your post....

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

If you got hacked, it is probably your fault.  Here are some tips for preventing getting hacked in the future:

Use a unique password for every game.

Use a complex password involving at least one special character, number, uppercase, and lowercase which doesn't spell anything and can't be guessed by typing sequential keys on a keyboard.  The password, 1qaz@WSX is not a good password.

Don't pirate anything or download torrents or access media (flash drives, portable hard drives, etc) if it has been contaminated by computers used to torrent or pirate.  

Don't rely on your virus scanner to pick everything up before it infects you.  Even Symantec admits virus scanners are less than 50% effective.

Lastly, make sure your email account is secure.  Most of the time, all the game account hackers need access to is your email account.

There is probably a lot more that people could add to this list but those are just the basics.

• raggnirraggnir Member UncommonPosts: 51

everyone will tell you the same thing, which is that it's your fault that you got hacked. i won't bother to list the possible actions you took that led to the loss of your account, but you probably have in mind the reason. 

just take it on yourself, don't do that bullshit ever again and farm up all that you lost

• SuperchieftianSuperchieftian Member Posts: 88
    Your fault for not using authenticator. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Superchieftian

Why does everyone want to jump to this retort every time the word hacked is mentioned?. Does it really matter who was at fault for the hack? The hack isn't the point here, the point is how it's handled by support, in this case it's more about what to expect.

Getting hacked can happen to anyone, even those with authentication methods in place, yes it's less likely, but it still happens. What purpose does it serve to jump in to these discussions just to pointedly say "it's your fault"?

This is very much a part of this genre, any company should have a smooth process in place to account for these cases (as smooth as possible anyway). They know it's going to happen.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Distopia

Why does everyone want to jump to this retort every time the word hacked is mentioned?. Does it really matter who was at fault for the hack? The hack isn't the point here, the point is how it's handled by support, in this case it's more about what to expect.

Getting hacked can happen to anyone, even those with authentication methods in place, yes it's less likely, but it still happens. What purpose does it serve to jump in to these discussions just to pointedly say "it's your fault"?

This is very much a part of this genre, any company should have a smooth process in place to account for these cases (as smooth as possible anyway). They know it's going to happen.

You make it sound as if it is normal to have an account compromised.  If government agencies treated their accounts this way, the world would be in a lot of trouble.

The truth is that hacked accounts are not being "hacked" in the true sense of the word.  People get their passwords captured by keyloggers, phishing sites, or they use the same credentials on other web sites.  If the third happened, it is possible someone compromised a web site with real hacking, but the lists are likely shared/sold on black market sites.  All the attackers are really doing is using their lists of account names and passwords to attempt to log in to an account.

The only real hacking I know of was a session token exploit in World of Warcraft.  I'm not saying other games haven't been hacked.  It just isn't worth the time and effort to truly hack a game if they can't get money out of it.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Distopia

It just seems like the natural reaction from quite a few members now a days.  Can't we all just get along?

Originally posted by Maldrean

So i will try to make this as short as i can. I got hacked on the 12th and was in correspondence with them tell the 29th. first they locked my account 2 days after i told them i was hacked. Then they told me they would not be reinstating my items cash or anything in my alt banks i was lvl 43 and had a lvl 20 banker both crafters up to max to play the auction house on both toons.

now you might say thats starting gear who cares. Well look at it this way they told me they would reinstate 3 times per account. thats 3 items per account and if your account got hacked and you lost all your raiding gear flasks or anything of the like  they will give you a green set of starter gear. for your account. BUT  Dont worrie they will catch the person  that took your stuff and ban there account now because i can feel they hate as i type this i am going to copy a few emails over so you can read them for your self.

Melissa "Schrodinger" (WildStar Player Support)

Jun 24 22:27

Hello,

My name is Melissa and I am one of the Leads for the WildStar customer support team. I want to give you an update on where we are with account compromise restorations. Given the volume of these tickets and the type of update this will be sent as a form letter to share an update with where we are currently at with your and other player’s compromise tickets. This is a lengthy communication, but some of you have been waiting a number of days for an update. I also know that there are some folks that only want an update and aren’t interested in the background details. So my contact will have both cliffnotes and a breakdown with additional information to follow.

Cliffnotes:

•    Anyone that is getting this communication is receiving a set of gear that we’ve put together for your class and level.  This allows us to get you back into the game and playing without waiting days. 
    • We will not be able to offer you additional restorations once this is completed. We do not like to do this. For more on why, please read below to better understand the 2 stages of an account compromise restoration.
    • We will keep your ticket On-Hold so that you can tell when your ticket is being worked on and the set of gear has been granted.
    • If you have not added 2 Step Verification, and we provide you with a restoration, we may not be able to offer you additional restorations if your account were to become compromised again. Here is a link for 2 Step Verification

https://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/53257786-Two-Step-Verification-Setting-Up-and-Rewards

The full details:

At the moment we have account compromise tickets that are over 7 days old, and are still waiting for restorations. Some players have gear and are missing only money, where others have no gear and no money.  Our team has been working hard to recover all players’ accounts to help get you back in the game and able to play in every case.  Others have already received an initial restoration and are now asking for additional materials.   

Given the daily volume of new account comprises tickets is rising, we have had to adjust our views on how we approach these tickets. The alternative would be a wait time that may go over 7 days before you can get your first restoration. We do not want this, nor do we expect that you want to wait this long.

We have worked closely with our developers to create a set of gear that all characters level 10 or higher will be given. These sets of gear take into consideration your class and that you need help getting back into the game and playing. Unfortunately because of the continued incoming volume and the amount of accounts that remain unsecured, this is the only restorations we will be able to offer you. We will start sending out these gear packages later today to each of your characters that are over level 10.
    If you do not already have 2 Step Verification on your account, I highly recommend you add it between now and when we begin to offer you the set of items for your characters. As we may not offer this again if your account becomes compromised again - https://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/53257786-Two-Step-Verification-Setting-Up-and-Rewards

This is not the solution that we want to take (we want everyone to be back to where they were before being accessed), but this is the solution that allows us to take the second step in an account compromise investigation. Hunting down and catching the people that did this to your account. Players do not often think about the amount of time needed to track down the people that accessed and stole your items and gold and deal sift justice.

Something that is also not commonly known, all of those gold sellers, boters and teleport hackers are most likely because of an account that was compromised. The Real Money Traders do not care about these accounts, they only care about having gold in their coffers so they can sell to players in game that support this trade. They benefit from players that do not have 2 Step Verification, so please also encourage your guild mates, friends and family to add 2 Step Verification to their accounts as well.

We hope that you understand that this step is not the solution that anyone on our team wants to take. This is the step we are taking to prevent you from having to wait for days. And the benefit allows us to track down and act with justice against those accounts that benefited from your situation.

ok so the long and short of it is. On the 12th i got hacked and on the 14th they locked my account then on the 18th

They unlocked my account after I sent in  another Email saying i had the 2 step and sms on my email on the 22nd they told me

not only Would they not be giving me my stuff back Or my cash. Finaly On the 29th they told me they would give me a refund.

Its a great game and a lot of fun But Again if you were raiding for a year and got hacked lost everything and then they tell you to bad.

we have to tell the companey. THATS NOT OK. they told me they would give me 3 items back lol.

I told them give me my 60 bucks back. and my brother my buddy and 4 of my guild all spoke with are wallets.

I had high hopes with this game but no phone support

no direct support as in web chat. In the rush to raid losing 18 days because they will not give you your stuff back no thanks.

good luck to you if you play and good luck to you if you dont 

oo and by the way you can get hacked with a authenticator on your account if you don't believe me Google it.

I believe you.  I will tell you why.  Today, I received an e-mail from nc-soft that my account has been spotted using some 3rd party software.  And my account is suspended for a day.  Funny thing, I haven't even been online in Wildstar for almost 2 weeks.  Even then, I never used a single add-ons since closed beta.  I also cleared out all the beta add-ons before launch.  I just changed my password and I'm gonna all them monday.  But, it seems like they are making some mistakes, or my account was compromised at some point.

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201

Hard core game with hard core staff, with this response ppl will learn how to protect their accounts.

But I do feel sorry for you, that you will be one of the example to make the point.

----

----

Originally posted by Bigboo

Hard core game with hard core staff, with this response ppl will learn how to protect their accounts.

But I do feel sorry for you, that you will be one of the example to make the point.

Your arrogance amuses me.  I use a long. non-generalized password.  I use a unique for every game, e-mail and account.  No matter what you do, if someone wants your account.  They will get it.  This is the first time something like this has happened to my one of my mmo accounts. I've been playing since Ultima days.  Funny thing is, I still have full access to my account.  So, I must of caught and changed the p/w before some oxygen thief  (such as yourself) could pilfer my account.

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

Your arrogance amuses me.  I use a long. non-generalized password.  I use a unique for every game, e-mail and account.  No matter what you do, if someone wants your account.  They will get it.  This is the first time something like this has happened to my one of my mmo accounts. I've been playing since Ultima days.  Funny thing is, I still have full access to my account.  So, I must of caught and changed the p/w before some oxygen thief  (such as yourself) could pilfer my account.

So if its not on your client side, its on the server side, its possible ofc. 

That means Carbine have a huge problem to solve!

----

----

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Listen... its hard to address this stuff. Let us be blunt here. If you got hacked, it is YOUR FAULT. There is a reason why every site tells you to use a unique password. That said, in some part it is the fault of companies that do get hacked having people get your username and password information in a lot of cases,stuff you reuse in many places giving hackers free reign on everything you have with that information. There are others who do get hacked by rats, but I'd like to assume most people are that stupid with downloading things to get themselves keylogged as often.

The support system takes time to iron it out. You better believe those botters and hackers are purposely trying to throw in their own tickets to get the accounts returned to them,  particularly players who were trying to cheat the system and got caught (case in point, look for the "I was falsely banned" threads. Those are the people that in most cases got banned legitamently for being hacked and are trying to cause and uproar in hopes of getting their account back despite doing wrong). It takes time, it sucks, but honestly theres not much that can be done. They should be swift but at the same time expect some time to be done to investigate into the issue.

The most important part: Use the authenticator, and most of all do not reuse the same passwords for every site.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm assuming that if you use the authenticator, in the event that you do get hacked, they will give you completely everything, yes? If not, then its not worth getting. Bad support is just bad though, regardless of who's "fault" it is for getting hacked. Only giving the guy 3 items back is silly when they could easily just give him one rollback without authenticator.
  • TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Some of the responses to these type of threads irritate me beyond belief.  If it was any other product and the support was this bad people would be furious, but for some reason (according to many mmorpg.com regulars) it is acceptable to be incompetent in the mmo world.  The support on that game is pathetic.  
  • UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Not all of us have a smart phone or other device capable of using the Authenticator.  What a crock tell people to use one.  Other games do not require such expensive tools to protect their assets.  I begin to suspect WildStar is just truely a poor design.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

So if its not on your client side, its on the server side, its possible ofc. 

That means Carbine have a huge problem to solve!

Exactly the issue.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

I find it hysterical that hackers waste their time on gaming sites... I mean the real money, and I do mean real money, is sitting in the online banking and e-trading sites.  Do you think people are using authenticators with those?  Are using passwords any more complex (if not the same) as the ones on their online gaming site?  Same key loggers capturing your login id to WoW is also doing the same for Chase bank.  And yet, they prefer to strip your WoW account of virtual gold instead of setting up an online bill pay to an account in the Caymans.

Virtual ganking, where your character doesn't get killed but is forced to sell off all your worldly goods and bow before it's virtual oppressor.  LOL, apparently players have taken MMOs into a new direction... and it didn't involve housing or sand.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    In all my life I had never had an account compromised until my WoW account was hacked recently (wasn't even subbed I am on a break).  Still not sure how it happened being that I am very cautious about computer security.  Only thing I can think of is add ons.  Its the only game I had ever used add ons in.  Might be the same thing with your WS account.