Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Dying or Just Carving a Niche?

Comments

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I cancelled my sub. The game is terrible.
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Originally posted by funcon

yeah I can't believe I blew 90 bucks for the imperial edition. it was this freaking site that hyped me up too.

MMORPG : Lol gotcha sucker!!!

Seriously though, I tried to warn everyone.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by DMKano
    It's the same issue with any themepark game with fast leveling.

Once you've done most of the rides, majority moves on.

Post 1st month - your average mmo loses 60% players. It's a decline from that point on in most cases.

3 months in most games will lose 50% of the remaining players (from the ones that stayed after first month)

Yes there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Honestly they probably could have kept me through the summer if the leveling hadn't been so long and drawn out.

But I just wanted to PVP so i'm probably one of the few and far between exceptions.

When I saw it was a quest grinder with no real viable way to PVP to the top I unsubbed week 1.  I'm still a little bitter about buying it and not even sticking with it a week :(  A fast leveling experience woulda been great for people like me who hate single player story content.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    yeah I can't believe I blew 90 bucks for the imperial edition. it was this freaking site that hyped me up too.

Hear hear!

I don't have room anymore for this Big Freakin box in my place.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Heh.;lets not blame the site for your own lack of self control.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

everyone...

just go play Darkfall is more like what ESO should be

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I think most people agreed that the game needed more time before release, and honestly, they took that advice to heart and delayed the console release by a significant amount.  Of the 20mil sales of Skyrim, at least 2/3 or more had to be console sales.  That is where the market for this game is at, and where Zenimax is counting on success.  The game can't be dying if it hasn't been released on the platforms they expect the most sales with.
    Originally posted by Lugors
    I think most people agreed that the game needed more time before release, and honestly, they took that advice to heart and delayed the console release by a significant amount.  Of the 20mil sales of Skyrim, at least 2/3 or more had to be console sales.  That is where the market for this game is at, and where Zenimax is counting on success.  The game can't be dying if it hasn't been released on the platforms they expect the most sales with.

unfortunate planning for them (as well as Sony and Microsoft for that matter). It was hard to predict while they were developing those games and consoles but it appears now that console days are numbered and likely will be in a decline

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

everyone...

Except major pieces are broken and the community is full of L33Tards

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
       I went crazy, bought the boxed Imperial edition, and cancelled after a month. I think I'll return one day but probably not for at least a year or so. I think the PC release was really just an extended beta test for the console versions and in a few years the game will be worth getting back into, if it's still around.  
    Originally posted by Tyggs

everyone...

I agree with the last part.

However other than that it is (as it stands right not) more of a elder scrolls game then ESO is.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Lugors

I have to wonder if a shaky PC launch will work against them though.  There is a lot of hate out for this game.  Its possible some of that could affect console sales?

I'm not sure, but after such a rough launch and all the hate thrown at the game.. I have to think they would have been better off waiting for a more stable PC launch timed closer to the console one.

But what do I know.  Not much about consoles and game launch planning.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

everyone...

However other than that it is (as it stands right not) more of a elder scrolls game then ESO is.

I can agree with that. DF is a great concept in need of some thorough polish to become something truly special.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Manestream

ok some things to know.

1. When World of Warcraft came out there was hardly any end game content either.

2. However it took hardcore players a few months to max out and the casual players 6+ months (usually longer) before maxing out.

3. These days new games come out and your at max level within 2 weeks for casual playing, hardcore are there in a day or two.

4. This does not gicve them time to fix any found bugs so even casual players will hit these and fine the game to be buggy, and this does not give them time to make and do some end game content, rather they would have to rush this out to keep the playerbase from leaving but this brings in many rushed bugs and not much of a good end game.

5. They should go back to the old style of play where it took months before one maxed out their character/s so one could also enjoy the game. Though it also must be done well and interesting. I do not see why hitting max cap in such a quick and short time helps the players? there just going to pout and cry at the end when there is nothing to do. Play the damn games properly and enjoy the ride up.

^ this. 

I think the major issue is that MMOs have become more mainstream then they were when WoW came out in 2004.  The issue is that upon WoW release I don't know the exact numbers but I would imagine on release there were probably like maybe 400 - 500k players max and most of those players were Lineage/EQ/Ultima players that were use to the "grind" and expected it.  Now a days you have people that refuse to play games that have a "grind" and they expect to level to max in a few days played time at most.  My first WoW toon took me 22 days played time to reach level 60 which took me like 3 months to achieve. 

• galacticloregalacticlore Member UncommonPosts: 9

Personally, I stopped playing when my first "free" month ended, and their bugged payment system wouldn't take my money to renew my sub. Contacted their customer support, got told "go buy a prepaid card then". My response: Buh-bye. Plenty other games that actually *want* to take my money thanks. Their payment processing system should have been considered top priority, and the number of problems they had with it was ridiculous. I've never seen such widespread issues of double/triple billing, not accepting payments, etc, and their responses were not acceptable either - usually consisted of putting the onus on the player, which is the wrong answer.

Maybe it's fixed by now. No clue. I lost my "momentum" with the sudden cutoff, and have not regained any urge to go back in. Maybe someday. 

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Really it all comes down to how many people ZOS expected to play.  If they were hoping for a million+ active subscribers, well, they're probably in bad shape right now.  Most developers/publishers won't outright tell you what their expectations were though.
  • brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I don't want to speculate with regards to actual numbers, though I had about seven friends in real life that bought the game -- as well as a medium size RP guild that I keep in touch with from WoW -- that went to ESO when it came out.

None of my friends play, and the guild disbanded some time ago (the leadership and core members are the only ones I really talk to, and they quit; won't speak for others they picked up when the guild was formed).

Though to be fair the same thing occurred with Wildstar -- Had about five friends buy it, and they all decided not to resub when their time is up (though one had purchases a few months of C.R.E.D.D from players -- which will no doubt artificially inflate subscriber numbers).

Same i had friend played and stop in less than 1 month from release.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Played it the first month then cancelled my sub.Not because I didn't like the game but because of bugs and balancing.Subbed again a couple of days ago and now I,m having a great time.Not sure how many play but wherever I go there are loads of people.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

everyone...

Darkfall is in a good spot right now and not broken at all.  You all must not have played it lately.

ESO was just too much of the same old linear quest hub themepark.  No risk vs reward and not true free aim combat.  No consequences for your actions and much too solo focused.  I could go on and on.  It was nicely optimized which was a big positive.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Eso failing on consoles won't be because consoles are failing. Actually eso would thrive as buy to play and no cash shops on consoles, it would be a win for both console and Zenimax.
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    For a subscriber based game niche = failure.  No serious developer puts millions upon millions of dollars into a game expecting to end up stuck in a niche.  Furthermore, when they do find themselves there they slam their collective fist down hard on the blinking red free-to-play button before its too late.
  • SirMartySirMarty Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Vonatar

"The Wheel of Time turns..."

It's always the same with a new headline MMO. Hype and expectation, people dive in in their hundreds of thousands, they hit max level in a week or two, get bored and move on. The massive population drop after a month or two should be expected in any MMO these days and it doesn't mean the game is dying, just levelling out as you say.

People said SWTOR was dying, or died. We had all the jokes about the TORtanic. And yet it seems to be highly profitable these days with its f2p model.

People just don't play MMOs long term anymore. Some do, but there seems to be a large mass of MMO players that move from game to game. The so-called "content locusts".

Profitable =/= successful. SWTOR remains as being the WORST MMO launched of the decade.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

"ESO is a fantastic game, it has the best graphics that have ever been in a MMORPG"

I laughed so hard to this...

That line was indeed utterly clueless, especially when thrown in the face of many recent Asian releases.

I also utterly disagree with the opinions about storyline in ESO in this piece. Personally it felt like a whole lot of unending drivel came out of the NPC's mouths.

One of the main rules in storytelling is show, don't just tell.  I didn't get to the max level in ESO, but it very rarely did that for me: characters often told you that a fight had gone on, but you almost never got to see the actual fight. Add to that the disappointing, camped boss fights and you end up with a less than engaging experience imo.

The constant stream of lore without any substance behind it was the main reason that made me quit the game in fact.

SW:TOR was far more to the point in that regard and actually innovated a whole lot more in terms of presentation. At least they tried to come up with systems to make groups participate in dialogue and allowed you to actually play together.

Now I don't want to hate on anyone who likes the game, but the biggest thing which ESO needs to do, is to actually make it more of a social experience, more of an actual MMO. In my opinion, Zenimax just sort of "tried" a number of things without actually considering the full implications they would have in an online setting.

Perhaps F2P is a way forward for this game, especially if they manage to put in a fair type of hybrid payment system. I for one would in fact consider it again if that happened.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by ChicagoCub
    For a subscriber based game niche = failure.  No serious developer puts millions upon millions of dollars into a game expecting to end up stuck in a niche.  Furthermore, when they do find themselves there they slam their collective fist down hard on the blinking red free-to-play button before its too late.

true that.

plus there isnt a single feature in that game that would suggest 'niche'.

My suggestions to game journalists is to tell their dev friends at lunch that its easier to just make a good game then it is to try an convince people your game is when in fact its not

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Including myself I only knew 4 people who bought the game, 3 (including me) have quit...One remains for now...

I absolutely think ESO is on trouble...I don't think you can sustain the needed Subs by being a niche game...I think there are elements of the game that are very cool...And I thought the graphics were great...But that's not enough to keep folks from quitting...And the quitting is what kills MMO's...