Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering buying, questions from a dedicated healer.

BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

So, I'm thinking about picking this game up. I need a game to kill time. First, I'll say what my priorities are in the game:

- I like playing a dedicated healer

- I'm most interested in playing the Esper from everything I've read.

- I want to PvP heal and PvE heal when I get to endgame, and from what I understand, you get two "specs" to quickly switch between, so I'm assuming I'll want to make one spec for PvP healing and one for PvE healing right?

So, in regards to that last point, am I pretty screwed on that plan considering the leveling to endgame situation? I currently don't have a guild or any friends rolling a char with me, and even if I did, I like to just get on and level and not wait an hour for a friend or guildie my level to join me... Unless this game is radically different, solo leveling as a healer won't be viable. So what is my best option? Should I roll some esper dps leveling build (I can google that I suppose, unless you have a suggestion), get to 50, and then do some kind of respeccing both specs to healing and start healing then (guessing I'll have to buy healing gear to start then?).

I'm probably way off, but you all get where I'm trying to go with this. The only exception I could've thought of is if there is some very active LFG system where it's easy to find group PvE and then I could just stay a healer leveling. From all of the vids/streams I watched though, seems like everyone is just solo questing to 50 (by the way, when does grouping really start happening, is that at 50, or is everyone else grouping at some earlier level for pve content?).

I will end up getting a guild eventually, but most of the time they're pointless until endgame.

Also, what do you suggest in regards to crafting/gathering? I read one person say every esper should pickup tailoring to build themselves an outfit, another person said pickup two gathering so you can afford your mount.

Comments

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Well I'm not a healer, but from what I understand

You get one spec right away and a second sometime between level 10-15 (I don't remember exactly which level), at 50 you can buy spec 3 and 4 for elder coins, so max 4 specs.

specs are mainly for amps (talents), as skills can be swapped out freely.

Questing seems to be the fastest way to level at the moment, but you'd need a constant group to be a dedicated healer.

At level 6 you can start pvping and many people have leveled to 50 just pvping. Dedicated or hybrid healing are always welcome.

One downside with pvp leveling is you get no faction rep, which is one of the attunement req. for raiding. So you'll have a grind there.

At level 15 you can start queuing for adventures/dungeons.

You could level this way, but they are very challenging and not proportionately rewarding (although today's patch added faction rep to dungeons).

Expect a lot of failed groups an slow progress here. Skilled dedicated healer are very welcome here. 

As for tradeskills, I went double gatherer and was just barely able to afford my mount at 15. That said mounts aren't as game changing as other mmos and you can get by with sprint for quite awhile. As for gear, I don't have top of the line gear at the moment (level 47) but I do have a full set of tanking and a full set of dps gear that's level 40-45 mostly blues without having to buy anything just from questing, and you can buy pvp gear with pvp currency as you level if you pvp.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I have a limited experience here so take that for what it's worth.

I leveled a Medic.

There isn't a pure healer like anything previously.  The best description I could give would be a Paladin or Cleric rather than a Priest type.  (make sense?)

You will mostly DPS spec all the way.  Around level 20ish Storm Talon is the first dungeon you'll hit.  It's brutal for PUGs if people don't understand their group mechanics.  That being said, it's completely PUGable.  But medics do DPS damage in between heals.  I'm not standing still watching bars, I'm trying to steer myself where I can hit teammates with my beam heals and also hitting the monsters for damage.

Not sure about PvP.  Personally, I was super excited for WS, but once again fairly let down (mostly because of my own expectations).

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503
    Originally posted by Siris23

You get one spec right away and a second sometime between level 10-15 (I don't remember exactly which level), at 50 you can buy spec 3 and 4 for elder coins, so max 4 specs.

So if I get two of these by level 15, then I could do the first starting out spec as a leveling DPS spec with my esper, the second spec as a healing PVE spec and doing dungeons with that starting at level 20 or whatever. This sounds like the best option considering I'll need that faction rep for endgame raiding/attunement.

But this elder coin thing, I'm assuming that's a massive time sink or something. Is it possible when I get to endgame to just respect that first spec I had to a PvP healing spec instead of buying a third spec? Or is that more costly than buying a third spec?

Thanks for the replies.

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Baseline

So if I get two of these by level 15, then I could do the first starting out spec as a leveling DPS spec with my esper, the second spec as a healing PVE spec and doing dungeons with that starting at level 20 or whatever. This sounds like the best option considering I'll need that faction rep for endgame raiding/attunement.

But this elder coin thing, I'm assuming that's a massive time sink or something. Is it possible when I get to endgame to just respect that first spec I had to a PvP healing spec instead of buying a third spec? Or is that more costly than buying a third spec?

Thanks for the replies.

You get elder coins from xp after you hit 50 instead of levels, you are capped at 140 coins a week. I can't chck right now but I think each additional spec is more than the weekly cap.

But you can reset your existing specs, at level 50 it costs 50g. So dps/pve healing for leveling and pvp healing/pve healing at 50 without buying extra specs is no problem.

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Thanks for the replies.

You get elder coins from xp after you hit 50 instead of levels, you are capped at 140 coins a week. I can't chck right now but I think each additional spec is more than the weekly cap.

But you can reset your existing specs, at level 50 it costs 50g. So dps/pve healing for leveling and pvp healing/pve healing at 50 without buying extra specs is no problem.

How long does it take to farm 50g at endgame? Are we talking a days worth of work to respec or a week?

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

Thanks for the replies.

How long does it take to farm 50g at endgame? Are we talking a days worth of work to respec or a week?

Once you are elder gem capped ( takes a evening at most if you just do veteran adventures / dungeons / dailys ) have 140/140 gems you will instead of experience, gain extra gold from EVERYTHING. So basicly 50g is .. 1 day of dailys on the isle (takes 30m - 1hr depending on your kill speed and having a group) so its quite easy to get 50g. Also not sure why you would want to respec all the time

You have up to 4 specs (2 from elder gems) and abilitys you can swap out AT ANY TIME NOT ANY COST the only thing is "TALENTS" that can be reset and costs money.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

I have to agree with most of the replies here. Leveling in a DPS spec is generally faster. I experienced this as a tank first hand. I leveled to about 25 in a tank spec and it took forever. Then, once I switched to a DPS engineer spec I was plowing through mobs with no problems and leveling 2-3x faster.

I think it's also important to mention xp buffs that you can acquire through the housing system. Once you unlock your House at lvl 14 you can log out there and get a rest xp bonus. In addition to this, there is a terminal near the transporter on your property that will let you choose either a 5% or 10% bonus for xp or prestige etc. that lasts 24 hours and persists through death. Also, you get a 2% xp bonus for adding an authenticator to your account.

I highly recommend taking advantage of these xp bonuses. I usually have like 1.5 levels of rest xp waiting for me when I log on. That coupled with the other buffs makes leveling much less of a grind. I'm still loving this game. Hope this helps! image

• ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87

You'll need a DPS build + gear and Healing build + gear

In order to do quest and dailies at lv 50 you'll be running DPS build.

Also if you plan to pvp at all spend your Amp points so they are effective for both PvE and PvP until you can buy another action set with elder points.

You could level on PvP and only have a healing build, but once you get to 50 you'll still need a DPS build for dailies.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

all I can say is thank goodness for the beta I played and I passed this game.

I don't have anything new that are great to play but ill rather wait for destiny than buy the over prised average crap wildstar.

I bought all the new games when I was a noob to gaming now I see most games are average expensive crap.