Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End Game? PvP? Worth buying?

Spector88Spector88 Member UncommonPosts: 112

I've played pretty much 99% of all AAA titles since EQ, DAoC, Asherons Call, etc etc. SWTOR, GW2 so on so on.

I was not even entertaining wild star until I saw a few reviews about it being true to the old MMO core values, and being fun, witty, but also fun combat etc.

The thing im struggling to find (in my not very extensive search) is how raiding and pvp is, especially pvp servers. Is it booming, fun and going to be a hit for the long term? Or is it a SCI FI waiting to be deserted like SWTOR was (know its a diff type of game)

Just curious how the end game is & what people think.

Just FYI:

I loved Asherons Call, WoW : WoTLK, Diablo II, Rift,

Hated:

Guild Wars 2, Aion, AoC, Final Fantasy XIV

Comments

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Your like and dislike lists are very similar to mine, I have been playing wildstar since pre-release and I am loving it.  I haven't got to end game yet just due to time constraints but I am in my mid 20's on one toon and low 20's on another and I have done both dungeons and adventures and they are awesome.  The dungeons remind me of the old school WoW dungeons where you had to pay attention, CC, focus correct kill order, etc.  Leveling is not a fast process as on my higher level 20 I am somewhere around 25 hours played but I don't find it painful either.

I would say based on the games you like you should definitely check it out. 

• Spector88Spector88 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Spankster77

Your like and dislike lists are very similar to mine, I have been playing wildstar since pre-release and I am loving it.  I haven't got to end game yet just due to time constraints but I am in my mid 20's on one toon and low 20's on another and I have done both dungeons and adventures and they are awesome.  The dungeons remind me of the old school WoW dungeons where you had to pay attention, CC, focus correct kill order, etc.  Leveling is not a fast process as on my higher level 20 I am somewhere around 25 hours played but I don't find it painful either.

I would say based on the games you like you should definitely check it out. 

Thanks for the solid feedback

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Imo you are going to like it. One more important thing you must check about the game (and ofc every other mmo)  is the content additions. Their promise is for quality content updates every 4 weeks.

Check the first one landed today: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/85926-update-notes-feel-the-strain-109/

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

I just got into raiding last night.  Wiped all night on one boss, and had a blast learning it.

Getting attuned for the raids is no joke.  It's not like the wow attunement that just took a little bit of time.  I hit 50 in 4 days, and it literally took me 3 weeks to complete it all, and I was going at it probably 8 hours every day.  Getting a silver rating on dungeons takes raid level coordination of interrupting and/or positioning.

Your reward is the 20 man content.  There are plenty of videos of the fights in the Genetic Archive, and while they might look simple in the video (mechanically, they kinda are), they require 100% execution, and especially while I was learning Kuralak, if you lose even 1 DPS when the boss is > 50%, you probably wont make it depending upon the class.

PvP looks like a zerg of aoe on video, but a coordinated team really shines.  It's all about coordinating your team.  You can grapple a healer from the back of the pack, right into the thick of the action to focus them down, or you could grapple a bunch of players, root them, stun them, blind them (turns their screen black, btw), and coordinate a burst aoe.

Class balance is a bit of a concern right now, but today's patch should help a little bit in that direction.  Engineers and Warriors were OP in raids, and Stalker tanks are near unkillable unless completely outnumbered in PvP.

Overall, I'm just having a great deal of fun trying to learn a new game.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• Spector88Spector88 Member UncommonPosts: 112

All good info. I was thinking Spellslinger (dual wielding) but I dont know much about classes.

I am a bit concerned by the constant mentions of the GRIND, attunement, and last levels. I do prefer a game not make me sweat out the last 5-10 levels wanting to kill myself, because as we all know we want to raid.

I am also concerned about the amount of work required just to EXPERIENCE raids, if it is going to vanilla WoW round that can be pretty exclusive and also frustrating, all games have their bad and good but it seems like (From feedback/videos) the game at times may be a little too old school grind wise, but then again most games now are TOO EASY.

I will definately have to consider this game, wish I wasnt older with a 50 hr a week job now.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Kaladin

I just got into raiding last night.  Wiped all night on one boss, and had a blast learning it.

Getting attuned for the raids is no joke.  It's not like the wow attunement that just took a little bit of time.  I hit 50 in 4 days, and it literally took me 3 weeks to complete it all, and I was going at it probably 8 hours every day.  Getting a silver rating on dungeons takes raid level coordination of interrupting and/or positioning.

Your reward is the 20 man content.  There are plenty of videos of the fights in the Genetic Archive, and while they might look simple in the video (mechanically, they kinda are), they require 100% execution, and especially while I was learning Kuralak, if you lose even 1 DPS when the boss is > 50%, you probably wont make it depending upon the class.

PvP looks like a zerg of aoe on video, but a coordinated team really shines.  It's all about coordinating your team.  You can grapple a healer from the back of the pack, right into the thick of the action to focus them down, or you could grapple a bunch of players, root them, stun them, blind them (turns their screen black, btw), and coordinate a burst aoe.

Class balance is a bit of a concern right now, but today's patch should help a little bit in that direction.  Engineers and Warriors were OP in raids, and Stalker tanks are near unkillable unless completely outnumbered in PvP.

When you are older and look back on your life, 8 hours a day in Wildstar or any computer game will seem like such a waste.  Of course, it's your life, but there really is a big wide and interesting world out there.  Gaming should be the gap-filler around other things, not the thing you do with your life.

As I said, it's your life and I'll get flamed for giving you advice/suggestions, but, from someone who is surrounded by people with cancer and terminal illnesses, don't end up wishing you did more with yourself than move graphics around a computer screen on a full-time basis.  You can't get your time back and you never know how much time you really have.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Thanks for all the reasons to NOT play this game.  

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Shatter30

Thanks for all the reasons to NOT play this game.  

This. I've already got a job and a family - no room for second job.