Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deepest Character Customisation Ever!

DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Yes, you can customise you character's genetic code..........

http://www.theonion.com/video/sponsored-groundbreaking-video-game-lets-players-c,36385/

;)

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Darwa

Yes, you can customise you character's genetic code..........

http://www.theonion.com/video/sponsored-groundbreaking-video-game-lets-players-c,36385/

;)

Some good jokes right there... TY for the link.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I've seen some Onion vids before, but this was epic! (not to mention the news strip below, loved the NSA one :) )

Thanks, great find.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    fun link - thank you
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Great fun, thanks for sharing.

For some reason I keep fogetting how funny that site is. Thanks for the reminder :)

On another note could we ever go as far as complety build a character as done in the vid. Not so much a desire for a ES game. But imagine some other sci-fi related game where it would make sense to make really wierd strange creature like characters?

Next step in voxel gaming??

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Reklaw

On another note could we ever go as far as complety build a character as done in the vid.

While not mmo, and it's more than 6 years old, but Spore did that, more or less :)

(in the sense that making / building your creature was the same amount of fun as the rest of the whole game. There were folks even, who never went further than the creator.)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    The kill me part was pretty damn funny.
    Originally posted by Po_gg

On another note could we ever go as far as complety build a character as done in the vid.

While not mmo, and it's more than 6 years old, but Spore did that, more or less :)

(in the sense that making / building your creature was the same amount of fun as the rest of the whole game. There were folks even, who never went further than the creator.)

I have Spore, enjoyed it. And really loved expanding it's universe with the creature's I created. Yes I could "share" yet it was a singleplayer game. Not sure if it could be achieved in MMORPG as of today, maybe.....one day....

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

On another note could we ever go as far as complety build a character as done in the vid. Not so much a desire for a ES game. But imagine some other sci-fi related game where it would make sense to make really wierd strange creature like characters?

I guess it could be done but who would want that?  You would need to design a system from DNA which will create cell organs (i.e. Ribosomes) which build up cells which make up all the other stuff i.e. heart, veins, hair and you also need a way to move the body that means bones, muscles, tendons. Some basic AI maybe based on neurons that tells the heart how often to beat and other stuff would be nice too. Then a system to get, move and use energy to keep the thing going

To do all that I guess you would need a master degree in biology, chemistry, engineering, computer science and maybe a medical degree.

But why waste the ~20 years you just spent learning on a video game? Get your guildmates who also have all those degrees ofc, some atoms and a machine to move atoms then build the thing in real life. Maybe you can even setup something like a Minecraft Nano server to manage the different people working on it. You and your guildmates might need a year to code that but whats a year if the the project will take another 10-20 years? Might want to ask IBM for some hints in moving atoms over the internet:

So can it be done? Sure! As soon as you can put a SSD in your brain to insta learn all those things. Yes, I'm still hoping for a chipjack ; )

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

ESO has a shed load of customization, but clearly Zenimax decided the game had too much! As was shown on a thread on another site if you try to create a female toon that is unattractive you are going to have problems. The design is 'centred' so women cannot deviate from the norm. Men can be as craggy and big nosed as they like.

But that means all girls are babes so it gets by vote of approval. :D

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    It was really fun, thx :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Character customization is definitely silly!
  • TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Great video.  However, I really do wish there was an mmo where you could design toons from the ground up, like an advanced Spore. 
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer
    Great video.  However, I really do wish there was an mmo where you could design toons from the ground up, like an advanced Spore. 

You need to be a little more quiet

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    What sort of MMO would you need genetic customisation for? Anarchy Online springs to mind, some sort of SF MMO, so few of them about not sure if there are any other candidates. Got to be far flung future and not space opera like SWTOR, space opera prefers people doing things due to ability not hi-tech.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Hahaha, play as a giant brainless tumor. Brilliant :p

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I don't need any customization. What I want is body and facial scans, so I can play as myself - except a lot better at combat, magic, crafting.. and everything else. I may dress better than any of my characters, though.

- Nellus

Originally posted by Alumicard

I guess it could be done but who would want that?  You would need to design a system from DNA which will create cell organs (i.e. Ribosomes) which build up cells which make up all the other stuff i.e. heart, veins, hair and you also need a way to move the body that means bones, muscles, tendons. Some basic AI maybe based on neurons that tells the heart how often to beat and other stuff would be nice too. Then a system to get, move and use energy to keep the thing going

To do all that I guess you would need a master degree in biology, chemistry, engineering, computer science and maybe a medical degree.

But why waste the ~20 years you just spent learning on a video game? Get your guildmates who also have all those degrees ofc, some atoms and a machine to move atoms then build the thing in real life. Maybe you can even setup something like a Minecraft Nano server to manage the different people working on it. You and your guildmates might need a year to code that but whats a year if the the project will take another 10-20 years? Might want to ask IBM for some hints in moving atoms over the internet:

So can it be done? Sure! As soon as you can put a SSD in your brain to insta learn all those things. Yes, I'm still hoping for a chipjack ; )

Okay...okay lol not so much like the vid but more as some mentioned SPORE like. I understand it would be to much to actually go as deep to DNA as it's used scientific but can be done with in a more gaming sense in mind. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    lol I enjoyed that link, thanks for sharing it.