Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a gay gamer "gay gaming news" annoys me

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Why does it annoy me? Because it's blatant marketing in my eyes. If it wasn't they'd have news about straight romances and marriages too, but they don't. Companies act like it's them trying to normalize the idea, but if they were truly trying to "normalize" the idea of LGBTQ romances/marriages in MMORPGs and games then they wouldn't make press releases about adding them into their games. They would just release it as is with it included like they do with straight romances/marriages in games.

The fact that MMORPG.com felt as if they needed to publish that Bioware revealed it's first "Fully Gay" (and MMORPG.com for some reason, seriously felt the need to add quotes around "Fully Gay," not even joking) love interest in DA: Inquisition shows a lack of normalization when it comes to the gaming community and the LGBTQ community. It shows how "gay gaming news" is just used for sensationalism and to get those clicks on an article. Frankly it's insulting. 

I was also under the impression that everyone already knew that DA: Inquisition would have gay romance options since the previous two did and since Bioware is known for adding both straight and gay romance options into their games. So I really don't understand why it needed to be announced as if it were something that was even news worthy. Well, I actually do know why. It should be obvious since like I mentioned before,  MMORPG.com felt like they needed to put quote marks around "Fully Gay" as if to draw people in. They were trying to drum up clicks and controversy and boy did they do a good job.

I can't wait for the day when gaming sites stop trying to make mine and other people's sexual identities into noteworthy news under the softly shadowed pretense that it's to try to make it seem like they're attempting to normalize people's sexual identity. It just has the opposite affect because it makes me feel (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that my sexual identity isn't normal in the eyes of gaming sites since they feel the need to makes news out of it.

Smile

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

It seems to me, you have a problem with sexuality being mixed with games in general. Depicting female cleavage for instance is 'gross' to you as well.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by StonesDK

It seems to me, you have a problem with sexuality being mixed with games in general. Depicting female cleavage for instance is 'gross' to you as well.

You clearly didn't read anything I wrote if that's what you got out of this.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

I'm just comparing notes to some of your older posts as well. It does seem sexuality is a big issue with you when it comes to games. Gay, straight or otherwise

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

cleavage =/= sexuality

Although society tries real hard to convince people otherwise.

OP, I respect your view. I think I am done commenting on this stuff for a while. Mainly because I identify as a sys white male and I need to check my privilege.

I'm just comparing notes to some of your older posts as well. It does seem sexuality is a big issue with you when it comes to games. Gay, straight or otherwise

It's not at all. The fact that you even made that comment when I never took offense to sexuality in of itself in the entirety  of my original post is rather odd. I've never even expressly said that I have an issue with sexuality anywhere so again, your comment is strange.

Smile

It's not at all. The fact that you even made that comment when I never took offense to sexuality in of itself in the entirety  of my original post is rather odd. I've never even expressly said that I have an issue with sexuality anywhere so again, your comment is strange.

I never said you took offense with it. I said you had an issue/problem with it, which you do

I never said you took offense with it. I said you had an issue/problem with it, which you do

Actually, I don't, and please keep from stating what I have a problem with as if it were fact when you don't know me at all. Anyways, it's sort of clear you're just attempting to derail.

Smile

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    They were trying to drum up clicks and controversy and boy did they do a good job.

I can't wait for the day when gaming sites stop trying to make mine and other people's sexual identities into noteworthy news under the softly shadowed pretense that it's to try to make it seem like they're attempting to normalize people's sexual identity.

Should I ask all the gay people I know if they like this or are bothered by it?

I suspect it could be 50/50. maybe even 33/33/33. Some loving it, some hating it and some indifferent.

And your making a new thread instead of just commenting in the news thread just adds to the sensationalism/controversy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    They were trying to drum up clicks and controversy and boy did they do a good job.

I can't wait for the day when gaming sites stop trying to make mine and other people's sexual identities into noteworthy news under the softly shadowed pretense that it's to try to make it seem like they're attempting to normalize people's sexual identity.

I suspect it could be 50/50. maybe even 33/33/33. Some loving it, some hating it and some indifferent.

And your making a new thread instead of just commenting in the news thread just adds to the sensationalism/controversy.

It's not really when I'm gay myself just stating that I find it counter-productive. It's stating my opinion in a forum for opinions,ideas, etc. 

Smile

Actually, I don't, and please keep from stating what I have a problem with as if it were fact when you don't know me at all. Anyways, it's sort of clear you're just attempting to derail.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5715398

Quote:

"I find the female body sexually repulsive"

But keep trying deny it. You also have a knack for telling everybody you are gay in several posts, even though not a soul on this site cares about your sexual orientation. We are gamers. We care about games

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

theres this trend going on where everyone's supposed to be tolerant these days so it's not really a surprise that that some developers try to get attention to their product through things like this... SWTOR has had a pretty big success in the lbqt community or whatever the abbreviation is by introducing some gay romances in the game.. and there's even been quite a few topics on their forums asking for more of that...

me personally i dont really see the appeal of romancing in games at all

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I agree with the OP.

I am straight as an arrow, but I see a lot of this gay stuff just as a marketing ploy for attention. A persons sexuality has no place to be discussed in games, or game related material.

People coming out as "gay" in game chat, is one of my grips about a game community, all it is, is seeking drama.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    But the truth is in all communities Gay, straight, atheist, political, religious, female , male, young , old , guns , no guns you will always have the vocal minority demanding they are heard.  In some of these groups the vocal minority tarnishes the reputation of the rest.  So instead of offending the vocal minority that complain about no gay relationships these companies are forced to promote it.  

Quote:

But keep trying deny it. You also have a knack for telling everybody you are gay in several posts, even though not a soul on this site cares about your sexual orientation. We are gamers. We care about games

That's not having an issue/problem with sexuality, that's called being gay you nitwit. Am I going to find a girl's pickachu hot-to-trot? You do the math.

And the only time I've said anything about my sexuality was when it related to a topic or was relevant. Considering I started this thread for a specific reason, it's relevant. I'm getting a strong vibe that you, yourself have a problem with sexuality if it doesn't fit your view of what's "okay" seeing as how you find the need to dig up old posts in a a failed effort to prove that I somehow have a problem with other people's sexuality, which I don't, as I've stated for like the third or fourth time now.

Smile

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Quote:

That's not having an issue/problem with sexuality, that's called being gay you nitwit. Am I going to find a girl's pickachu hot-to-trot? You do the math.

And the only time I've said anything about my sexuality was when it related to a topic or was relevant. Considering I started this thread for a specific reason, it's relevant. I'm getting a strong vibe that you, yourself have a problem with sexuality if it doesn't fit your view of what's "okay" seeing as how you find the need to dig up old posts in a a failed effort to prove that I somehow have a problem with other people's sexuality, which I don't, as I've stated for like the third or fourth time now.

Repulsive is a rather strong word.  If I was to say I find Homosexuality repulsive you would say I had a problem with homosexuality instead of saying I just did not want to have gay sex.

• WelshyJTWelshyJT Member UncommonPosts: 28

its funny when companies try to preach equal rights, but the way they present it is... unequal.

like you said, true equality is not even mentioning homosexual relationships in any way. 

the word "relationships" or marketed feature "we have relationships" should suffice, its all encompassing.

Originally posted by Horusra

Quote:

Repulsive is a rather strong word.  If I was to say I find Homosexuality repulsive you would say I had a problem with homosexuality instead of saying I just did not want to have gay sex.

I can understand how you could see that, but the way I meant it was in a sexual way, not them themselves as I do find girl's pretty, just not in a sexual manner.

Smile

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by toddze

I agree with the OP.

I am straight as an arrow, but I see a lot of this gay stuff just as a marketing ploy for attention. A persons sexuality has no place to be discussed in games, or game related material.

People coming out as "gay" in game chat, is one of my grips about a game community, all it is, is seeking drama.

Actually if the gay thing would be in without a warning or them making a statement they would get a lot more attention. So I doubt them telling everyone about it is a marketing ploy. In fact I would not be suprised if it would actually be discussed in the US senate ><

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I agree with the OP.

I agree it doesn't belong in public chat...no matter what your orientation, beyond the typical that's what she said type of comment ( you know, puddle deep type of stuff ) but it belongs in RPGs that focus on personalities and player interaction. It's a part of life..with out it we wouldn't be here.

The problem is it's still pretty new that being openly gay is "acceptable" so it still makes news. Give it time and people will go back to not caring either way. No normal person cares if a black person goes to their school or sits at the front of the bus ( nor should they ) but it was news once. Now hopefully most people just see a person, if they notice them at all.

It's been said many times but the only way to have truly equal rights is when no one gives a fuck what you are either way.

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

Yeah, I tend to agree with the OP - but I also think that sometimes when this is done the heart of the people doing it is in the right place, just that their actions do nothing but point out differences.

Not on the original DA (or even gay/straight) point, but take Facebook for example. That story about the 50 gender options was incredibly ridiculous. Here's an idea! Remove the gender radio buttons entirely - and either let people form their own opinions based on picture and/or orientation (not recommended) or.. and this is crazy... TALK TO THE PERSON! But apparently that idea, much like a quality MMO, is a thing of the past. I just always found the whole thing odd. I have guy friends, chick friends, lesbian chick friends, gay male friends.. I never introduce them as "This is my lesbian friend Kelsey who identifies as female". Then again, she'd laugh if I did.. and some people are apparently annoyed to be labeled as "female". But like I said, somewhat besides the point.

As far as gay/straight in the media goes.. there are times where I understand it, like the NFL Draft this year (because of the perceived alpha male locker rooms, even though I think it went way overboard attention-wise) and times where it serves no purpose to point it out, such as this one. "Hey, these pixels forming a guy like these other pixels forming a guy!"

- Nellus

Originally posted by DamonVile

I agree with the OP.

It's been said many times but the only way to have truly equal rights is when no one gives a fuck what you are either way.

This is exactly as I feel. I just find it rather annoying because I would have though by 2014 that it wouldn't really be news, but apparently people still do give a fuck.

Smile

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

Why does it annoy me? Because it's blatant marketing in my eyes. If it wasn't they'd have news about straight romances and marriages too, but they don't. Companies act like it's them trying to normalize the idea, but if they were truly trying to "normalize" the idea of LGBTQ romances/marriages in MMORPGs and games then they wouldn't make press releases about adding them into their games. They would just release it as is with it included like they do with straight romances/marriages in games.

The fact that MMORPG.com felt as if they needed to publish that Bioware revealed it's first "Fully Gay" (and MMORPG.com for some reason, seriously felt the need to add quotes around "Fully Gay," not even joking) love interest in DA: Inquisition shows a lack of normalization when it comes to the gaming community and the LGBTQ community. It shows how "gay gaming news" is just used for sensationalism and to get those clicks on an article. Frankly it's insulting. 

I was also under the impression that everyone already knew that DA: Inquisition would have gay romance options since the previous two did and since Bioware is known for adding both straight and gay romance options into their games. So I really don't understand why it needed to be announced as if it were something that was even news worthy. Well, I actually do know why. It should be obvious since like I mentioned before,  MMORPG.com felt like they needed to put quote marks around "Fully Gay" as if to draw people in. They were trying to drum up clicks and controversy and boy did they do a good job.

I can't wait for the day when gaming sites stop trying to make mine and other people's sexual identities into noteworthy news under the softly shadowed pretense that it's to try to make it seem like they're attempting to normalize people's sexual identity. It just has the opposite affect because it makes me feel (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that my sexual identity isn't normal in the eyes of gaming sites since they feel the need to makes news out of it.

Very excellent post.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Gay content isn't exactly the norm in games, so I guess there's no harm in informing people in advance that our game is going to have content like this, if for whatever reason someone feels like he/she should be aware of this, and at the end of the day it's just piece of information like any other "our game will have this and that content" we see every day.

If this upsets you, there's no real problem here, you just are one of the people who gets upset over nothing and then proceeds to fabricate some drama out of the situation.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Tbh I think this kind of advertising just makes the product being advertised look stupid and out of touch.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Sovrath

It's not really when I'm gay myself just stating that I find it counter-productive. It's stating my opinion in a forum for opinions,ideas, etc. 

Oh, I got that. I suppose my point was that they can't please everyone.

I live in the Boston area and there is a Gay Pride parade very year. I know gay people who LOVE this thing and there are participants who go "all out" so to speak.

I also know gay people who look at it and just roll their eyes.

The discussions are going to happen and they aren't always going to fit what everyone in a demographic believes should be "the message".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
This discussion has been closed.