Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: Inquisition: First "Fully Gay" Male Love Interest Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Dragon Age: Inquisition site has been updated with a new post to introduce fans of the upcoming title to Dorian, a Tevinter mage who is the first "fully gay" character to be included in the series. The site includes an interview with writer David Gaider to talk about Dorian's contributions to the overall party and how the decision to include a male-only love interest adds a new dimension to the game.

[DG]: Dorian is gay—he is, in fact, the first fully gay character I've had the opportunity to write. It added an interesting dimension to his back story, considering he comes from a place where "perfection" is the face that every mage puts on and anything that smacks of deviancy is shameful and meant to be hidden. Dorian's refusal to play along with that façade is seen as stubborn and pointless by his family, which has contributed to his status as a pariah.

[DA]: Are you happy with how his character turned out?

[DG]: I suppose this aspect of Dorian will make him controversial in some corners, but I was glad to include it. It made writing Dorian a very personal experience for me, and I'm hopeful that will make him seem like a fully realized character to fans in the end.

Read more about Dorian on the Dragon Age: Inquisition site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    finally my dreams come true
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    So I suppose this is their marketing division trying to create a controversy and a backup plan to dismiss everyone who doesn't like their game as bigots, just like they did when the oh-so-progressive DA2 came out. I had hoped they'd stop screaming "WE'VE GOT GAY CHARACTERS" at the top of their lungs and simply make a good game, but eh. Maybe I'm just tired of BioWare, their poorly-written romances and EA's stale marketing.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    So I suppose this is their marketing division trying to create a controversy and a backup plan to dismiss everyone who doesn't like their game as bigots, just like they did when the oh-so-progressive DA2 came out. I had hoped they'd stop screaming "WE'VE GOT GAY CHARACTERS" at the top of their lungs and simply make a good game, but eh. Maybe I'm just tired of BioWare, their poorly-written romances and EA's stale marketing.

Why would there be a controversy ?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Xarko

Ya! Can't wait either.... *rolls_eyes*

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Marketing ploy or not.... Normalization is always good. Now i reserve my full judgement until i see how the story is written but at face value it does not look that bad. After all it is not like it is the first time we have same sex relations in a BW game.

This have been a good conversation

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Xarko

Ya! Can't wait either.... *rolls_eyes*

Actually, this is good information, for all of us.

Now we all know ahead of time who to pick OR not to pick for the in-game team once we start playing the game.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Azoth

Why would there be a controversy ?

Because Bioware and many in the gaming press will create it with the bogey-man of the "intolerant gaming community". Heck, they may even drum up some miniscule church group from Jerkwater, USA to protest the game.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    They can say what they want, but the bottom line its just marketing.  
  • CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    It's about time! I think it's  absolutely fantastic and encouraging to see a character who happens to be gay, I fully expect homophobe gals and guys will criticize the decision but those people live in the 1950's. It's 2014, let's wake up 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    As a melee-based character (always!), I love Dorian's total badass-ness and could care less who he sleeps with. I just want the powah! :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

This

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    [mod edit]
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I don't see why they have to make an 'annoucement' unless they are looking to create some controversy. If it is a normal thing nowdays why not just talk about the game instead of who is gay or straight.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Nice to see Bioware finally making an effort when writing characters. Till now, while it was nice to have gay relationships, they were going down the easy path by making everyone bisexual. Which, once again was nice cause it gave people options, but was annoying because that is not how people work. There are straight people, gay people and bi people. Maybe this means that they are putting more time in fleshing out each and every character.
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I don't see why they have to make an 'annoucement' unless they are looking to create some controversy. If it is a normal thing nowdays why not just talk about the game instead of who is gay or straight.

The new thing about this character is that he is gay, not bi. Everyone in Biowares previous games was bi.

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    'Fully' gay? Will make a change from those annoying half gay characters then.  image
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Still don't understand the draw of love interests in games like DA, ME, and Fable. Do people actually do this in game?
    Originally posted by Utinni
    Still don't understand the draw of love interests in games like DA, ME, and Fable. Do people actually do this in game?

Yea why would anyone roleplay in an RPG, seems like such a waste of time, just show me the targets to kill.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Agreed.

I guess some people do. Personally I do not care if they are gay, straight, or Bi. Concentrate on actually making a good game and the rest will fall into place.

I guess BW feels the need to "announce" this as "news" to stir the pot some.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

This

It's only a controversy if you make it one. Marketing department or no marketing department.

If people are stupid enough to make this into an issue, then they deserve all the attention it gets them.

Especially in a gaming industry where the big fat majority of the playable characters is a white featureless male with a dark past and most attempts to change that are met with bullshit excuses.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

They have a paragraph on romance options with most of their char bios. This one is no different, it's just one paragraph. The announcement is in MMORPG's title, not theirs.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Yea why would anyone roleplay in an RPG, seems like such a waste of time, just show me the targets to kill.

Funny how gamers managed to role play for decades without "romancing" a character in a video game. We must have been doing it wrong all these years. Man on man love will surely make the entire experience better. Or for that matter some cheesy cut scene for man or woman in a tent "romancing" could have been left out and the game would be just fine.

Roleplaying games are about playing roles. The most important elements of an RPG is the lore, characters and the so called world building in general. A game that lacked romance, just like a book that lacked romance would feel odd or incomplete to me. Romance is just another facet of characterization, a character would be poorer without it.

Originally posted by jdnewell

Funny how gamers managed to role play for decades without "romancing" a character in a video game. We must have been doing it wrong all these years. Man on man love will surely make the entire experience better. Or for that matter some cheesy cut scene for man or woman in a tent "romancing" could have been left out and the game would be just fine.

I am all for choices, the more there is the better. You don't have to take part in those romance, it's all optional. It certainly bring a new dimension to many people who enjoys it, I don't see why you would care if it's not the case for you.

Originally posted by jdnewell

What the hell are you talking about...There were relationships in old cRPG games and there were and are relationships in pen and paper RPGs.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Good to know, another game to avoid.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

This discussion has been closed.