Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a lot more like Skyrim than ESO ever tried to be. (I had to see it to belie

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

Yes full loot blah blah. In Skyrim you always have more armor than you know what to do with.  In Skyrim you end up leaving armor on corpses constantly just because it's not worth the bag weight to carry it away.  Darkfall too! 

Check out these similarities:

Full loot:  Every time you kill something, you can loot it's entire bag, not just a coin or something stupid like that.  Sure you end up leaving a lot of stuff on corpses, but you did in Skyrim too right?

Open world, with a couple instances.

Free Progression:  Stay with me,  in Darkfall, instead of earning levels, you earn "Prowess Points"  some achievements (kill 160 of this type of mob (humanoid etc), craft an entire cloth set, ETC) give a nice batch of prowess points, most beginner monsters give 1 or 2 points, harder monsters give more and more and more.   - Instead of leveling up, you spend your on skills.  You can put them into a harvesting skill, a weapon skill, a magic spell, your STRENGTH or INTELLIGENCE.   As you level up a skill with prowess points, the next level of the skill slowly increases in cost, not steeply, but consistently.   - Not a grinder? No big deal, run around and do things you want to do, trivial tasks give small amounts of prowess too.  Using harvesting skills, crafting skills, fishing, boating, all give prowess.

Any Gear Any Time:  If I'm a magic user, sure I can put on plate armor, I can even chase you around with a huge battle axe.   I'll be somewhat limited in my performance unless I've put some points into STR  and  Polearms, but I could chase you with it none-the-less.  Maybe even kill you.   I could also pull out my Staff and start casting spells on you,  the armor being worn has impacts on the weapon / spell damage.  Wearing cloth armor with a 2 hander is viable, you do a lot more damage that way, but you also sacrifice your defenses - In melee range :X

Limited health pools:  Players don't have 1920305 HP.  I think the maximum you can have with all the available skills being combined that help HP is about 450.  The game is more about learning to parry, block, and evade, than how to run in the middle of a fight and run back out when you get to 80%.    If you run into the front of a fight, you're probably going to die, you only need to hope you get resurrected before someone gets brave enough to also come to the front and try to loot you.

Endless progression:  I think Skyrim stopped at level 80 something because that was the level that you had 100 in everything?  That's how Darkfall is, except without the levels. You could ultimately put 100 in every skill, every STAT, every craft, you can be 100 at everything.  It would be an incredibly long journey to accomplish, but it is possible.  You would not be almighty from this either, if you did something foolish, you'd die just like the rest of us.

MISCONCEPTIONS: 

"I'm going to lose everything when I die!!!"

The rule of thumb in Darkfall is to not leave town with anything that you're not willing to lose.  This doesn't mean you can't wear your best armor, it just means don't wear your best armor unless you've already got a back-up set in case you lose it.

You have a bank, it has 'seemingly unlimited' capacity.  Not truly unlimited, but for all intensive purposes, you can put as much crap as you want in it.

To elaborate, all items are craftable in this game.  I have 5 sets of my cloth armor that I am currently wearing, along with 2 sets of 'elegant' cloth armor that is substantially more expensive because it requires more mats to craft.  I don't go out alone wearing my elegant, I go out with my clan wearing it because I know if I get killed there's a strong chance I can be revived before I get ganked.  I've lost a set of my elegant cloth before, and a Selentine Staff that I have 3 more of in the bank.  I did not have a strong emotional reaction to the loss because I know I simply have / can create more.

There's a lot better crafted weapons, and a lot better crafted armor than the stuff I'm using, but I'm not willing to lose it, so I'm not willing to invest in it.  The differences in what people are willing to lose in this game varies greatly from one player to the next.  Some of the best items I own came from corpses I looted on the battlefield.  Best by my standards.

GEAR DOESN'T MAKE or BREAK THE GAME.  Being naked is bad, but wearing a poor set of plate armor compared to an expensive set is appropriately nerfing.  You can make an informed decision about if you want to go to this giant castle siege with your best or your worst gear.

GANKFEST!!!  - Kind of.  I've been killed by people I had no chance against in combat, while minding my own business.  I'd say a good 80% of people that have killed me appreciated my willingness to try to fight back and revived me instead of picking through my worthless gear.   I've also been looted a couple of times, usually because I was farming a highly contested mob that drops an expensive crafting material regularly.  I returned to my corpse and found it only looted of the material and managed to recover the rest of my gear.

The games are a lot more similar than I can sit here and explain.  As a Skyrim fan, I abandoned ESO after several hours of guided questing.  Skyrim had a lot of quests, but it was never the primary focus of the entire game, it was the focus of the story, but not of the game.  - In MMorrowind I never even realized there was a quest until I had hundreds of hours in.

I avoided playing Darkfall because of all the bitterness about it I had seen at it's prolonged and delayed release.  I really am frustrated I hadn't tried it sooner.  It's got the freedom of progression only found in that terrible MMO called runescape.  However it pulls it together with the graphics of a modern MMO.

PVP on Land & Sea, you can actually chop trees, refine wood and other materials.  Build parts, create a siege weapon, or create a battle ship complete with cannons.  You can make a fishing boat and take it out on the ocean and catch fish.  You can cook the fish.  If you're careless: someone can board your ship, murder you, and steal it and all it's cargo.  

When you want to siege a castle, a siege stone is laid, all players are given 22 hours notice of the siege.  This gives the opportunity for players to pick sides, or to decide to avoid the area.  Once the siege has been won, the victorious alliance now controls the castle / town, vendors, crafting stations, and bank (common to other banks).

The gates of a town can only be opened by someone in the alliance, and the vendors / crafting stations are only usable to them.  That doesn't stop a brave soul from finding a way to gain access to the city either by blasting himself over a wall, or finding a way to climb in.  - He will probably get killed unless he's amazing though.

Come give the game a try if you were disappointed with Skyrim, it might not be for you, but you're only out the $15 sub fee if it isn't.  The game has no box price just the sub fee, find it on Steam.

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

MISCONCEPTIONS: 

"I'm going to lose everything when I die!!!"

The rule of thumb in darkfall is to not leave town with anything you're willing to lose.  This doesn't mean you can't wear your best armor, it just means don't wear your best armor unless you've already got a back-up set in case you lose it.

Actually by your own account that is not a misconception but rather the cold, hard truth. As with any full loot game.

DF is simply EvE -space ships +more basshats.

But if it licks your happy spot... I am glad for you.

This have been a good conversation

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

With the total absence of magical and unique items, the losses from being killed and looted are mitigated to items you've purchased or crafted.  You make intelligent decisions when crafting or purchasing items based around what type of investment you're willing to make in a build out at that time.  Like EVE - sure.  But it's not like WOW where you finally got that boss drop you've been hoping for after months and months of trying.  

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I keep feeling if this was not full loot PvP it would almost be the perfect game for me.  I will n ever understand why full loot PvP is understood as necessary in games like this.  Alongside the fact new players are at a big disadvantage in dealing with vets with a huge number of prowess is another reason to keep me away.

I'll keep looking and hoping. 

Always good to find a game you enjoy, however, so have fun. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Considering ESO was never trying to be Skyrim...it ain't difficult feat to achieve.

Originally posted by tawess

Actually by your own account that is not a misconception but rather the cold, hard truth. As with any full loot game. DF is simply EvE -space ships +more basshats. But if it licks your happy spot... I am glad for you.

Eww, misconception about misconception :(

EVE Online is nothing like Darkfall, not even slightest. EVE is a sandbox, DF is a PVP game.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Actually by your own account that is not a misconception but rather the cold, hard truth. As with any full loot game.

EVE Online is nothing like Darkfall, not even slightest. EVE is a sandbox, DF is a PVP game.

Unlike EvE..?

Anyway it was a at best passing comparison mostly based on the the fact that both games have a santing rule that you never go out in something you can not afford to loose and that you in both games will be ganked by unsocial grognards.

As for the fact that they do not have "epic longsword +1 of dragonstone slicing" does not lessen the feeling of being robbed for new players... Or ever for some players... And robbed you will be, over and over again... And if you dare to mouth off you will be ganked and robbed and ganked... then ganked some more... and then you will be ganked... Then you quit the game.

This have been a good conversation

Unlike EvE..? Anyway it was a at best passing comparison mostly based on the the fact that both games have a santing rule that you never go out in something you can not afford to loose and that you in both games will be ganked by unsocial grognards. As for the fact that they do not have "epic longsword +1 of dragonstone slicing" does not lessen the feeling of being robbed for new players... Or ever for some players... And robbed you will be, over and over again... And if you dare to mouth off you will be ganked and robbed and ganked... then ganked some more... and then you will be ganked... Then you quit the game.

Basically, DF is what 0.0 space in EVE is...but there is only about 15% of the game population living in 0.0 space. Thus, extrapolated conclusions based on this small part of the game would be silly.

While strictly speaking they may share some mechanics, their implementation is vastly different, resulting in very different gameplay, feel and overall experience. Having no gear progression or better say a power curve, make item loss in EVE very different from other games, uncluding DF.

As I said before, EVE and DF are nothing alike and shouldn't be compared at all.

Originally posted by flizzer

I keep feeling if this was not full loot PvP it would almost be the perfect game for me.  I will n ever understand why full loot PvP is understood as necessary in games like this.  Alongside the fact new players are at a big disadvantage in dealing with vets with a huge number of prowess is another reason to keep me away.

I'll keep looking and hoping. 

Always good to find a game you enjoy, however, so have fun. 

Armor can not be repaired, weapons can not be repaired.  They have enough durability to last for several days on average.  They have to be replaced regularly.  This is part of the thriving economy of the game.  

The fact that your inventory can be looted when you die only accelerates the gear replacement that you would have already had to do anyway.

When you go to a PvP situation you do 1 of 2 things:

1) Take armor that you don't care if you lose.

2) Take really valuable armor that is almost broken that you'll need to replace very soon anyhow.

In most games, you have 1 set of armor, 1 weapon, and when you find an upgrade you replace it.

In real life you have 9 knives in your kitchen droor, 15~ shirts in your closet.  If one gets ripped you get another, if you break a knife you grab another.

Darkfall is more realistic in that your armor isn't this bejeweled prized possession that you took the time to earn, it's something you purchased at a very low price or gathered mats and crafted 6 of.

I often times pick up a weapon that's better than the one I'm using and put it on, use it until it breaks, then switch back to my old weapon.  

The whole 'gear is everything' mentality is part of what has ruined MMO gaming.  In Darkfall, you continually have to recraft and recreate your belongings whether you die and get looted or not.

If you find something that you're amazed by, stick it in the bank, and it's safe.

Additionally to what I've explained, the 'grind' of this game is disguised very well in your constant hunt for crafting materials.  When you need a particular material often times a certain monster drops it in great quantities.  It's thrilling to have a bag full of expensive materials making your way back to town hoping not to encounter a greedy person :D 
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Darkfall is a great game, but to the masses,..I'd say don't look at this post and just assume this is the game for you.  It is hardcore and you will be ganked.  You have to get in a clan and do your thing.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

correct and I've said this for ages.

True Skyrim MMO is Darkfall, not ESO

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

just curious, since everyone is refering to "SKYRIM" and not "ELDER SCROLLS" here...

does darkfall have dragons? shouts?

because quite franky, that's what SKYRIM was about.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TetheredTethered Member UncommonPosts: 55

I liked the game, I got tired of the ganking... seriously I do not want to invest my time in a game only to have someone hugely more powerful come along and gank me for my mats...

A server where they could control the pvp encounters I would not mind losing to someone who was better then me or got lucky.  Dems da ropes...

If they maybe made it so if someone with high skills who ganked was not able to loot items from low skilled toons, it would be worth playing.

You know you are old when the dev's on the games you play are almost young enough to be your grand-kids.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Damn it all, now I have to resub after I'm done w/ my Divinity playthrough.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Bought this and keep wanting to play it, but the fact that your feet never seem to gain traction on the ground really turns me off. Ice skating all over the world!
    I don't have the ice skating problem, I did in BETA but not since release.  Try adjusting your graphics a little :/
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

In real life you have 9 knives in your kitchen droor, 15~ shirts in your closet.  If one gets ripped you get another, if you break a knife you grab another.

Doesn't mean that people don't have a favorite shirt or weapon at home. I'd be pretty upset if something happened to my Henry Big Boy 100th Anniversary limited edition rifle in RL. But I can see your point, it's not a gun that I really take out to shoot...

I tried Darkfall: Unholy Wars when it first came out but it just wasn't my kind of game. I loved everything except the full loot system. Unfortunately that was the deal breaker for me. Too much frustration with the initial getting started and ganked repeatedly. It's not a bad game by any means, just not for me.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Eve in an extremely Elder scrolls- looking environment? So if I understand you correctly, you're saying Darkfall 2 is perfection incarnate? 

I must admit, I'm not always crazy about full looting element, but it can add a lot of excitement.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

It's the closest to a fantasy version of Eve, with a player driven market, territory control, and clan politics.

Contrary to popular belief, there's a lot to do in Darkfall even if you don't like to PvP all the time. Such as, my clanmate, who became the dedicated crafter/ boat master.

Crafting boats is cool.  I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to deploy my first boat, this game doesn't hold your hand very much.  Turns out you can't put a sea-going vessel in a small pond.

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

It's the closest to a fantasy version of Eve

No, it isn't.

Explained why and there is no reason to repeat misconception the other poster was making.

Originally posted by threefeet
    a sub fee for a game that you can lose all your gear in? lol. no thanks. make it f2p and id give it a whirl.

Not can, will.

If you don't die and lose your gear, it will break anyways from wear and tear.  It's not 6 months either, if you play consistently it may last a couple of days.  I'm a caster so I don't get hit a lot, (I could start using melee weapons any time I wanted it's just not my style, this game allows you to play as you wish) my gear lasts about 4 days it seems if I play several hours a day.

Most people wait until their armor is close to breaking like 4~5 Endurance points out of 60.  Then they go PvP in it.  It would be highly stupid to go buy or craft a brand new set of the best armor you could and then to show up like a Peacock on the battlefield.

And for people who just cant cut it, there're 3 bound items, a staff, a bow, and a sword.  If you don't want to risk anything, you can't lose those.  You could be one of those noobs running around naked on the battlefield trying to loot corpses before you get 2 shot :D  We make fun of those people though but there's something for everyone.

• kraizykraizy Member UncommonPosts: 52
    This game can do so much it wants doesnt matter when people with big mouth and no clue run the company Tasos anyone? :O
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

It's the closest to a fantasy version of Eve

No, it isn't.

Explained why and there is no reason to repeat misconception the other poster was making.

So what's closer?

Originally posted by Holophonist

So what's closer?

Imo, nothing can be considered as close.

There is no point in making a robust sandbox thus there aren't really any developers following similar design.