Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar Gamespot Review - "Your charisma has dulled over time, I'm afraid..."

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Little harsh just because you don't like the style isn't it? Reviewers have to try and be at least some what objective. That's why you usually won't hear a serious reviewer say "well the game is really well done and there's tons of content but I don't really like this type of game so I gave it a 5".

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The only mmo that got humor right imo is WoW and it doesnt constantly shove it in your face like its trying too hard, which is what Wildstar does too much.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

Little harsh just because you don't like the style isn't it? Reviewers have to try and be at least some what objective. That's why you usually won't hear a serious reviewer say "well the game is really well done and there's tons of content but I don't really like this type of game so I gave it a 5".

If you have followed the forums for a while you know that the main con about Wildstar (or any other game in that matter) is that it's not a Trion game. Every game in which Trion is not involved starts with 7/10 and goes down from there.

Also, watch this posting getting deleted while i get a warning.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

If you have followed the forums for a while you know that the main con about Wildstar (or any other game in that matter) is that it's not a Trion game. Every game in which Trion is not involved starts with 7/10 and goes down from there. Also, watch this posting getting deleted while i get a warning.

In other words f2p?

Well, the game is done well enough in terms of combat. The combat feels action oriented enough, however, thats where the game then starts to fall short starting from the cost to trying to customize a play style and experimenting.

Issues with the game;

1. Cost to respec

2. Text for quests is too small

3. Not enough VO for at least World story and crafting/housing tutorial.

4. While there are mines and traps that add to environmental effects, I feel it did not play a useful role. Since to pull a group of NPCs over a mine would take time and thus would only be useful in kiting a melee NPC as a melee class which would only happen if it were a boss but even so, bosses move quickly and have a limited range. So you cant kite them, and the dmg from those environmental effects is so minimal that its better of killing the NPCs on the spot without wasting time to manvoveur them over environmental effects. That seems to be case so far up to lvl 45 for me. In other words, mines and other environmental effects should do a lot more dmg to be a useful part of someones combat in their progression/playstyle.

Other than those issues, combat imo is fun with the telegraphs certainly for pve and raids. Pvp needs some adjusting as melee with abilities/cc and adapting to that situation. WHich is why respecing should be a low cost. Im having fun with the game. I would enjoy it more if it felt more populated (on my faction) so I could dabble in more world pvp without having to worry about facing groups alone, or doing mini bosses as they appear.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

I think it's a fair and overall positive review, you can see that Kevin VanOrd, the reviewer, put time and effort in compiling the hotspots and main points of the game. In essence I agree with all the points made.

[mod edit]

If you bother to read, you'll see that Kevin was much more critical than with WS. Read, read.

Wouldn't be bad either to post the Metacritic page for WS, where you'll see something that rarely ocurrs in the MMORPGS scene: There's not to much difference in the official reviews' punctuations and the users' ones:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wildstar

[mod edit]

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Good review and fair score. A 7/10 might have been considered low by following the paradigm of "anything under 8/10 is shit", but I'm happy that gamespot is starting to steer away from that kind of scoring.

I also agreed with the reviewers points: great value, entices you to keep playing but sometimes too hectic and doesn't really present much new under the sun.

Personally I might have played Wildstar for some months, but the "too hectic" did really get to me while I played the beta. I ended up with a serious headache after every session, so it isn't for me.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I think his review is fair and 7 is about right based on his point of view.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by bcbully

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/87307-gamespot-review-of-wildstar-up-its-a-7/

They gave it a 7.

Still too generous for me.

Wildstar is one of the few MMOs that actually annoyed me with how over the top the entire game is. To some this level overstimulation is fine, also the humor was not my bag - it added to the annoyance factor for me.

Probably the only MMO to date where I would actually include an annoyance score as apart of the review.

Wildstar ultimately was more annoying than entertaining for me, and when games fail to entertain me - they fail at their core purpose.

All of this is 100% my opinion.

My score would be about 6 but with annoyance factor it would drop it down to 3.5 for me.

DMK hit the nail here,

I only played the bata, I know I could have played it every weekend during it but the game was totally obnoxious. I Played one round and it made my eyes bleed and gave me a migraine. The next weekend I was thinking that maybe I was in a bad mood so I gave it another try, sure enough.....Migraine !

Maybe the medical field should study this game.....It could be where Migraines actually come from.....DOUBLE KILL !!!!!!!!!!!

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Who...caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares!

Are you all such insecure Muppets?

-"My game is better than that other game, right..isn't it?"

If YOU like a game, play it. If YOU don't like a game, don't play it. if YOU like both games, play them.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Incomparable

Issues with the game;

1. Cost to respec

2. Text for quests is too small

3. Not enough VO for at least World story and crafting/housing tutorial.

1.  All games cost money to respec, and it usually scales the more you do it.  My "main" is only 29, and I've got plenty of cash to make it rain.

2.  Who reads that stuff anyway?

3.  Who listens to that stuff anyway?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/87307-gamespot-review-of-wildstar-up-its-a-7/

They gave it a 7.

In so far as it isn't a 9 yes. And I think people who commented on Wildstar's initial review scores recognised that it would almost certainly get lower scores as well.

And comparatively it is an "OK review" - Gamespot gave TESO a 6 for example.

Doesn't mean that WIldtstar is a "good" game of course. And it says nothing at all about the "long term" prospects of Wildstar. At the end of the day the charisma of any game dulls over time no matter how good they are.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I did post this on the review section. Today I followed Judge Kain about watching him interact. It is these little details I love about Wildstar.
    Chamber of Chains
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

They gave it a 7.

Still better then ESO and AoW combined. Both those games are steaming piles of shit.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

They gave it a 7.

Wildstar is one of the few MMOs that actually annoyed me with how over the top the entire game is. To some this level overstimulation is fine, also the humor was not my bag - it added to the annoyance factor for me.

Probably the only MMO to date where I would actually include an annoyance score as apart of the review.

Wildstar ultimately was more annoying than entertaining for me, and when games fail to entertain me - they fail at their core purpose.

My score would be about 6 but with annoyance factor it would drop it down to 3.5 for me.

100% Agree (though not commenting on the score).

The main thing that got me interested in the game was how they were making a big deal about lore and story; this matched with the sci-fi/fantasy feel and the creative trailers made me look forward to the game.

However when I played it, I noticed myself becoming more irritated than anything.  The first time you level up you're greeted with the "Oh S**T!  You just leveled up!  Good job, cupcake!"... Okay.  Well, that's fine, I guess -- I thought.  Though these things matched with the "DOUBLE KILL", "TRIPPLE KILL" mechanics and many others... The fourth wall was broken far too much for me to really be immersed in the game and enjoy what I was originally excited for.

I loved the aesthetics of the game and how it looks like a Saturday Cartoon or something.  But they just went too over the top with a lot of their comedy and such to the point where I felt like it was insulting one of my favorite genres and those who enjoy lore and immersion.  It made me start to think the whole game is just some giant satire that makes fun of itself and the genre of the whole (also the people who enjoy it).  There's a lot wrong with the genre, but I couldn't break away from the feeling that the game just didn't take itself or the genre seriously.

Though that's all my opinion as well.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

They gave it a 7.

100% Agree (though not commenting on the score).

The main thing that got me interested in the game was how they were making a big deal about lore and story; this matched with the sci-fi/fantasy feel and the creative trailers made me look forward to the game.

However when I played it, I noticed myself becoming more irritated than anything.  The first time you level up you're greeted with the "Oh S**T!  You just leveled up!  Good job, cupcake!"... Okay.  Well, that's fine, I guess -- I thought.  Though these things matched with the "DOUBLE KILL", "TRIPPLE KILL" mechanics and many others... The fourth wall was broken far too much for me to really be immersed in the game and enjoy what I was originally excited for.

I loved the aesthetics of the game and how it looks like a Saturday Cartoon or something.  But they just went too over the top with a lot of their comedy and such to the point where I felt like it was insulting one of my favorite genres and those who enjoy lore and immersion.  It made me start to think the whole game is just some giant satire that makes fun of itself and the genre of the whole (also the people who enjoy it).  There's a lot wrong with the genre, but I couldn't break away from the feeling that the game just didn't take itself or the genre seriously.

Though that's all my opinion as well.

I think the game is clearly targeted to a younger audience. That´s for sure.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Sure thing...

Because we always tell kids stories about tourture, pregnant women being blown up, enslavement and not to mention the wanton destruction of a ancient self aware AI.

Kids stuff all around...

Edit: Ok we actually used too... before Disney came along.. =P

This have been a good conversation

• mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

I think you have to score WS higher then ESo, just because it is programmed better.  I mean at least shit in WS is pretty smooth.  However I found the game too cookie cutter for my tastes, and stopped playing it soon after I got into closed beta, and never looked back.  It was just too hokie looking for me on top of the lack of diversity in characters.  I thought they did an amazing job with the engine though, the game plays great, it just wasnt my cup of tea. 

I was so into TESO when it was in beta, I totally loved it, until it launched and they fucked everything up in that game.  They absolutly destroyed the pvp zone, and the game was like it was programmed by high school kids, and not a real company.  I dont know how you spend so much money and get a turd like they made.  Its quite sad too, the game had a lot of potential, but its totally mismanaged and run by people who have no clue how to make a good pvp game.  pve was total garbage in teso, from my point of view.

and someone mentioned TRION, lol, talk about another trash company that cant make a good pvp game...

ah, seems like all the good pvp games are dead and long gone...

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well, you might want to work on propaganda (seeing as your evident ESO fanboyism which you even throw in your signature silly enough) since when you throw up a missleading title as you did, then give the score of a 7 which is far from bad (specially compared to ESO) you aren't doing a very good job degrading the game.

At least I assume you are, considering your post had absolutely nothing of discussion outside throwing someone's review up giving no impression of your own, ignoring any good and just finding a negative quote to be your driving point. I mean come on, be a bit less bias and at least tell of the score rather then use the negative quote (a rarity in the review) as the title (even as stupid as scores are). The only reason I even mention anything is just due to the fact you purposely are flaming a game while linking a review that is actually primarily positive. You know, the Fox news spin.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by kikosforever

They gave it a 7.

Still is a good score and better than ESO 6/10 http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/1900-6415741/

IGN gave WS 8,7 http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/wildstar-review and ESO 7.8 http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-review

PCGamer gave WS 89/100 http://www.pcgamer.com/review/wildstar-review/ and ESO 68/100 http://www.pcgamer.com/review/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/

Metacritic WS overall critics score 85/100 & User score 7.9 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wildstar while for ESO oevrall critics is 71/100 and user score 5.8 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

So imo WS is doing just fine :)

Instead of relying on a single columnist and his staff to predict the potential of a game, I like to see what players actually feel. One of my favorite places to go is IGN. Here, you can get an idea of what players feel.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

personally i'm loving wildstar.. having a healing esper 2/4 dungeon attuned with the other 2 should be done by mid week this week and a 50 spell slinger DPS who just got up to his dungeon attunements, i love the challenge the game presents and that everything is not a cakewalk and handed to you like a lot of other games these days.

i honestly am having much more fun and spending a lot more time playing this then i did with ESO even though i have a vet 10 sorc, i couldnt bring myself to login much after capping vet 10 and  doing the vet dungeons etc... the challenge just wasnt great enough i left like 2 weeks before the content patch dropped.

i could care less what people are reviewing the game as because i'm going to play it regardless of if they give it a 1 or a 10... i'm in a highly active guild with everyone close to being ready to get into raids and basically 2 20 man teams should be ready to go in the next week or so, so then that content will be fun.. and should be well prepared for 40 man content when it's time to jump into that too.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by kikosforever

They gave it a 7.

Still is a good score and better than ESO 6/10 http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/1900-6415741/

IGN gave WS 8,7 http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/wildstar-review and ESO 7.8 http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-review

PCGamer gave WS 89/100 http://www.pcgamer.com/review/wildstar-review/ and ESO 68/100 http://www.pcgamer.com/review/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/

Metacritic WS overall critics score 85/100 & User score 7.9 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wildstar while for ESO oevrall critics is 71/100 and user score 5.8 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

So imo WS is doing just fine :)

Instead of relying on a single columnist and his staff to predict the potential of a game, I like to see what players actually feel. One of my favorite places to go is IGN. Here, you can get an idea of what players feel.

The best comments were from Colin&Co. trying to push dumbfuck GW2 over Wildstar. :)

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Any type of review is flawed due to it's very nature, it's 100% completely subjective.  It's like rating food , what tastes terrible to one may be delicious to another.  So I don't really care if gamespot gave Wildstar a 7 or a 1, I am having a ton of fun playing and that's all that really matters. 

P.S. - As long as we are talking about opinions, here is mine.  GW2 should be rated below most MMOs including Wildstar, Rift, and WoW, and running neck and neck with ESO as they are both beautiful games with great storyline and that's about all they offer.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Wildstar is a game I should have liked. Always been a fan of WoW style questing and actually enjoyed that part of WS.

But I just couldn't get behind putting time in to a character when I knew there would be nothing of interest in the game once I reached max level.
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    Wildstar is a game I should have liked. Always been a fan of WoW style questing and actually enjoyed that part of WS.

But I just couldn't get behind putting time in to a character when I knew there would be nothing of interest in the game once I reached max level.

Are you freaking crazy? This game has tons of end-game and hard to reach goals <o> People even cry out because of the difficulty. Whatever you are smoking man, I want some too, lol.