Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big drop in price?

13»

Comments

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by NeithWeaver
    Originally posted by Deadlyne

Because Wildstar just came out.  Now there is some real competition.

Pretty much this.

This^

You will notice Wildstar massive price drop too when Warlords come out.

This is it right here

People need to be reminded just how powerful Wow is. The same thing happened with GW2. When mist came out the playerbase got alot smaller in days.  Alot of people are checking out Wildstar and waiting for the new Wow espansion just like in GW2. Wildstar and ESO will never knock wow off the top of the mount.

I know right? Actually Dino Horde just did the same thing on steam this past weekend. They were offering 95% off! Damn Wildstar is making everyone drop their prices /sarcasm

Let's be honest, ESO is a subscription game, the box price will make a dent in their dev costs, but after launch there really isn't going to be much reason to even have a box price, your focus is obtaining/retaining subscribers. If they were really concerned about people leaving their service for Wildstar they would have dropped their subscription fees, not their box price. 

If they sell a million or more copies it can actually almost completley cover the development cost the problem is ESO only sold 400k  copies

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70799/the-elder-scrolls-online/

That is really not a good start for a MMO.   Warhammer Online managed to sell 750k copies its first month.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by bobdole1979
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by NeithWeaver
    Originally posted by Deadlyne

Because Wildstar just came out.  Now there is some real competition.

Pretty much this.

This^

You will notice Wildstar massive price drop too when Warlords come out.

This is it right here

People need to be reminded just how powerful Wow is. The same thing happened with GW2. When mist came out the playerbase got alot smaller in days.  Alot of people are checking out Wildstar and waiting for the new Wow espansion just like in GW2. Wildstar and ESO will never knock wow off the top of the mount.

I know right? Actually Dino Horde just did the same thing on steam this past weekend. They were offering 95% off! Damn Wildstar is making everyone drop their prices /sarcasm

Let's be honest, ESO is a subscription game, the box price will make a dent in their dev costs, but after launch there really isn't going to be much reason to even have a box price, your focus is obtaining/retaining subscribers. If they were really concerned about people leaving their service for Wildstar they would have dropped their subscription fees, not their box price. 

If they sell a million or more copies it can actually almost completley cover the development cost the problem is ESO only sold 400k  copies

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70799/the-elder-scrolls-online/

That is really not a good start for a MMO.   Warhammer Online managed to sell 750k copies its first month.

No.

They needed to sell over 5 million copies to cover the 200+ million dollar cost - remember that on a $60 physical copy less  than $40 actually goes to Zenimax.

There is a LOT of overhead in retail box business - which is why if you can recoup your profits with 100% digital sales - that's the way to go.

Bottom line - you don't want to be on the store shelves - as if your product doesn't sell after X number of weeks - guess what, you have to buy it back from retailers at 100% retail cost.

Yeah it sucks.

Depends on the retailer Walmart will only give them about $20 but other stores its much higher.   But lets not get into a whole economics debate 

The point I was making is that the game only sold 400k copies (maybe double that with digital sales but even then thats not a lot)   so that after the intial first month or two when ALL mmos see a 50% drop or more in subs things are not looking good. 

Edit btw did they ever release their budget?  I'm not saying you are wrong with the 200 million but  I don't  remember them releasing anything.  All I know is that some of my friends at Zenimax told me they were throwing money at ESO as if it was the cure for cancer.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Edit btw did they ever release their budget?  I'm not saying you are wrong with the 200 million but  I don't  remember them releasing anything.  All I know is that some of my friends at Zenimax told me they were throwing money at ESO as if it was the cure for cancer.

There was an infamous twitter leak - where it was posted $200 million but quickly got removed - however as most things on twitter it got read and screenshot by lots of people.

http://camelotpost.com/2014/01/02/the-elder-scrolls-online-budget-200-million-do-more-damage-than-good/

Also with 6 month console delay - the new rumor is that the final dev cost will exceed 250 million.

So that article is literally 'there are rumors that it's 200m' and it's substantiated by 'more rumors'.

No offense, I don't like ESO, but I don't think they spent 200million on it, they even said it wasn't 'close to 200 million' before when teased.

Also, your article was posted Jan 2. 

Interestingly enough on Jan 1st this article was published.  http://www.p4rgaming.com/zenimax-debunks-elder-scrolls-online-200m-budget-rumor-we-couldnt-have-wasted-that-much-money/

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Mahlo
    Loaded question much?

correct

I self identify as a monkey.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

There was an infamous twitter leak - where it was posted $200 million but quickly got removed - however as most things on twitter it got read and screenshot by lots of people.

http://camelotpost.com/2014/01/02/the-elder-scrolls-online-budget-200-million-do-more-damage-than-good/

Also with 6 month console delay - the new rumor is that the final dev cost will exceed 250 million.

So that article is literally 'there are rumors that it's 200m' and it's substantiated by 'more rumors'.

No offense, I don't like ESO, but I don't think they spent 200million on it, they even said it wasn't 'close to 200 million' before when teased.

Also, your article was posted Jan 2. 

Interestingly enough on Jan 1st this article was published.  http://www.p4rgaming.com/zenimax-debunks-elder-scrolls-online-200m-budget-rumor-we-couldnt-have-wasted-that-much-money/

Did you just really post a P4Rgaming link?

LOL - did you even READ that ????

Priceless!

(hint - P4Rgaming is a SATIRE site)

The twitter leak was real - it cost over 200mil - ZOS damage control failed.  (The twitter leak where Matt says there is no way that they spent 200 million is real, yet then you think that some how confirms that it DID cost over 200 million dollars, so what Denying is admitting to you?

Yeah, I know it's satire, the link they used was real, exactly.

Matt DID say that there was no way that they spent 200m ON TWITTER.

/facepalm

Edit:  My point is there is NO NUMBERS!  EITHER WAY!  You are literally linking a rumor based off a rumor based off what some guy over heard his room mate say while on video chat with his nephew who knows a guy at ZoS.  I.E. Bullshit.

My point in linking the first article was to point out to you that both of them, are equally stupid.  /sigh

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Everyone that purchased the game off the get get should get something big back, one of the most broken launches i've seen in quite sometime.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

The twitter message was not posted by a ZOS employee iirc but a game journalist (form Kotaku).  Which was then picked up by even more and spread like wildfire without any evidence given (possibly why it was removed).

ZOS never released any information on it's budget, over than it's not $200 million (implied less, though not stated).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by rbialo

Because $30 for a video game is a proper price and any thing above is just cash grab no matter how good a game is?

We were paying 50- 70 bucks for old Sega and Nintendo  games back in the day on a 8/16/32 bit cartridge.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    You can pick it up at wallmart for 9 bucks..why pay 30 for it? ESO isn't even worth 30 bucks.

9 Bucks for a new released mmo in less than 3 months is bad news for this game. It doesn't matter what fanboys say. This is not a good thing and Zenimax most be going to say something soon about the game. Some shake up must be coming and they are waiting to get as much money as they can first. I have never seen a price drop this fast for any mmo. If you can get it for 9 bucks somewhere than its pretty much over for making huge money on this game. And didn't they do some huge layoffs at the mmo branch of the company too? Not looking to good i think.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    The earlier you get into a game, the more you pay for it.  With subscription games especially, the box price tends to drop or even go away entirely after a while just to get people into the game so they can start paying the subscription fee.
  • KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Scot

Unlike a B2P where you can keep the box price high a P2P will drop of quickly. If someone wants to present evidence that TESO is dropping of faster or slower than average then fine. If not I think it is fare to say its dropping at an average rate.

Most stores like Walmart are allowed to set their own price, so I would not be surprised if you found a copy for 2$ if they wanted to get rid of old stock. In gaming 'old stock' means last months release.

Let's be fair and compare it to an 11 year old P2P Fantasy MMO with only 500k subscribers.

----

Final Fantasy XI still sells for $30 on amazon. 

----

TESO is like that half dead mouse your cat drops on your doorstep because it got tired playing with it.

Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

Unlike a B2P where you can keep the box price high a P2P will drop of quickly. If someone wants to present evidence that TESO is dropping of faster or slower than average then fine. If not I think it is fare to say its dropping at an average rate.

Most stores like Walmart are allowed to set their own price, so I would not be surprised if you found a copy for 2$ if they wanted to get rid of old stock. In gaming 'old stock' means last months release.

Let's be fair and compare it to an 11 year old P2P Fantasy MMO with only 500k subscribers.

----

----

TESO is like that half dead mouse your cat drops on your doorstep because it got tired playing with it.

they should have launched as a Buy 2 Play game with a cash shop instead of a Pay To Play game with a cash shop. 

who knows maybe it will be a huge success on console.  

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

----

----

Final Fantasy XI is actually an example of what happens to a lot of products as they become "scare" - namely the price goes up somewhat as the product nears the end of its life cycle. You want some old RAM for example - good look finding any of that cheap.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

The price drop is actually a great idea...This is what I was waiting for with ESO...didnt think it deserved 60 bucks, but when dropped ot 30.00 and even 10.00 in select Wal-Marts, I was more than excited to get it.  It's a really good game, just not great.

P.S. - Wildstar sucks

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by gervaise1

----

----

Final Fantasy XI is actually an example of what happens to a lot of products as they become "scare" - namely the price goes up somewhat as the product nears the end of its life cycle. You want some old RAM for example - good look finding any of that cheap.

FFXI is not scarce or rare. It's the newest edition with all expansions. It's also not near the end of its life-cycle it just released a new expansion and is going strong on subscribers.

----

It's one of the longest running successful MMOS.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    rumors come and go, but a reliable source has pointed at this game going f2p 2-3 months before console launch, and will launch on consoles as an f2p game.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Originally posted by Crusades
    rumors come and go, but a reliable source has pointed at this game going f2p 2-3 months before console launch, and will launch on consoles as an f2p game.

Crusades, can you stick to WS which clearly you are a fanboy of having checked your previous posts:

"(Wildstar) The game is actually a beautifully orchestrated masterpiece of an mmorpg. It's going to go down as one of the greatest in history."

In your signature you mount a diatribe against ESO and clearly want it to fail so WS does well, if the games that good, why are you posting on the ESO forums and not playing WS?

----

----

FFXI is not scarce or rare. It's the newest edition with all expansions. It's also not near the end of its life-cycle it just released a new expansion and is going strong on subscribers.

----

You cannot compare any old MMO with a new one in the area of price. SWTOR, RIft, TSW (was it P2P?); they are the only comparable MMOS I can think of. TESO is 30$ on Amazon atm.

Also still no proof of all these 10$ copies from Walmart that are supposedly on sale when the game is ~40$ on Walmart online.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

----

I should have been more explicit. The retail box copy - and this thread is about retail boxes - of FFXI is no longer being made. A mixed bag of retailers still sell it at a mixed bag of prices. "High" prices in several cases. What you can buy at amazon .com for $29.99 is the digital download.

We can expect the same to happen for TESO. Currently the price has dropped because retailers have more stock than they want. They make no profit on unsold stock; infact it costs them money: insurance, warehouse space, making sure it doesn't get damp, staff etc. So they reduce the price, pulp it, sell it on to TKMaxx - whatever - clearing space for the next "big thing".

When the retail box copies of TESO are "mostly sold or pulped" the retail box copies will become harder to find and the prices will probably go up. Just like FFXI. You will still be able to buy the digital download however - currently $59.99. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

----

----

----

You cannot compare any old MMO with a new one in the area of price. SWTOR, RIft, TSW (was it P2P?); they are the only comparable MMOS I can think of. TESO is 30$ on Amazon atm.

Also still no proof of all these 10$ copies from Walmart that are supposedly on sale when the game is ~40$ on Walmart online.

More than likely they are just selling old stock that they need moving, its kind of telling that Amazon UK is selling the game for £20 now, which is well below the original price, even Wildstar is selling for £27, but i think one of the most telling features is that Amazon UK is not offering customers the option of buying the digital download version. Of course the other problem is that even at the reduced price, the game doesn't seem to be shifting any boxes, maybe Amazon will eventually do the Walmart thing and reduce the price yet again, their only other option is probably going to be to get their money back from Zenimax for unsold boxes.image

Originally posted by Phry

----

----

----

More than likely they are just selling old stock that they need moving, its kind of telling that Amazon UK is selling the game for £20 now, which is well below the original price, even Wildstar is selling for £27, but i think one of the most telling features is that Amazon UK is not offering customers the option of buying the digital download version. Of course the other problem is that even at the reduced price, the game doesn't seem to be shifting any boxes, maybe Amazon will eventually do the Walmart thing and reduce the price yet again, their only other option is probably going to be to get their money back from Zenimax for unsold boxes.image

Wildstar is now only £24.55 on Amazon in fact, OMG the price is falling, the game must be crap! In the four hours since Phry posted it dropped £2.05. Obviously I have no proof there was a price drop, but you don't need proof to post anything on here!

Will we do that sort of post on the WS forums? I should hope not, but they deserve some of the same nonsense we are getting.

Wanting to shift stock is always going to make the price go down, when are our gaming pundits going to realise this? Well they think of themselves as pundits anyway. :)

• icanread88icanread88 Member Posts: 10

The reason for the price drop is the same reason for the lawsuits, for double charging customers for their second month & not giving it to them, for locking the horse and imperial race behind a paywall, launching the game when it should still be in beta, etc. They are desperate to make back the money they have invested in this game. Millions were invested in this game because it was a rather safe investment with all the TES fans out there, they figured it would be easy to make their money back. Unfortunately though they decided to make DAoC2 with TES lore, instead of a TES game, and many TES fans either beta tested the game, or knew someone who did. The TES fans weren't fooled into buying this garbage as easily as the investors had hoped, so now they're pulling out all the stops to make their money back on this game before they decide to pull the plug.

I actually pity anyone who bought this game thinking they would get a TES game. You've been had.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Buying the game for $30  Versus someone who bought the game when it first came out, you've only saved yourself $30 and didn't enjoy the first few months of play.

If and when this game goes free to play or no box fee, you still had to wait to play.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Nvm-found it-