Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish for EQ3, instead of EQ Next, I don't like any of it ( Poll )

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

First I'll say, I don't know much about this MMO.  But the little I do, I don't like it at all.  I may be slightly off track on my negatives listed below.  But everything about this game turns me off.

- Fully destructible world, I know players are screaming for a change, but this isn't it !

- F2P turns me right off, leave it to SOE to pull this crap.

- Few abilities on your bar ?.....I hate this in the more recent mmo's.....Maybe it's just me, but I like versatility in both talent builds and like to choose and be in control of how I play......I like having something to look forward to, More abilities, not just some minor enhancements.  

- What's so bad about class roles ? It works and it will always work, it has nothing to do with old style.

- The marketing.  Now I know developers like to give long notice about there product. But I don't think SOE even knows much about what they will eventually give us.

I would like to see a real remake of EQ2. Open world and non instanced, Very cool abilities, something never thought of yet. Vanguard had done this, they were innovative, it's just that it ran like dog poo !.....When I first found out about EQ Next, I figured great !....Until I started reading about it.

Comments

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    dude, they are riding the wave of crap that is popular now. haha.  they basically pick crap that is popular and throw it in their game.  hah.  too bad.  I was looking for something old school as well, but they take some thing the kids like, mix it in with things vets like, the mix in some things the wow kids like, and the result is a new MMO. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

From what you wrote I'm getting the impression that you might need to look a bit more into it or at least wait until some more details are released before jumping to conclusions.

Beyond doing the same old thing with a fresh coat of paint, EQN is going away from many/most of the things that have been making games have limited entertainment for many years. While not going back to the boring grind of the old days.

F2P can be done well. Destructible world has never been done, no idea why you wouldn't think that is fun, have you seen anything about the cave/tier system? You seem to also have a small grasp on the class/role system. You can play 40+ classes and mix/match skills, pretty versatile. Roles will be there, just not the boring and forced holy trinity.

EQ3 might have been interesting, but seeing how little interest both EQ/EQ2 have these days, I doubt SOE needs a 3rd EQ title just taking up space on the servers. They are going way out on limb with EQN and doing things new and outside of what "old school" and "new school" have come to love/hate. They are trying to make the next-gen mmorpg, not just another game.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I'm totally with you about the limited skill bar.  But besid ethat, i've played EQNLM and it seem ok... waiting for next now
    Originally posted by time007
    dude, they are riding the wave of crap that is popular now. haha.  they basically pick crap that is popular and throw it in their game.  hah.  too bad.  I was looking for something old school as well, but they take some thing the kids like, mix it in with things vets like, the mix in some things the wow kids like, and the result is a new MMO. 

Voxels, emergent AI, procedurally generated world, multi-class that retains classes/roles, yadda yadda, yep all those are in most games these days...

No idea what people think making an "old school" game would be profitable or successful long term. I think SOE is thinking long term, outside of Vets/WoW kids. The future. And really wow kids? Pretty sure the majority of folks that played it, at least seriously, were not children. Haven't seen many high end raids being ran over by 10 year olds.

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99

Nothing so far about this game has got me interested in it at all. The art direction they are going with pretty much was the nail in the coffin for me, unless they have some kind of insane PvP scheme up their sleeves I doubt I will ever pay this game any attention.

Originally posted by Calex

Nothing so far about this game has got me interested in it at all. The art direction they are going with pretty much was the nail in the coffin for me, unless they have some kind of insane PvP scheme up their sleeves I doubt I will ever pay this game any attention.

Wonder what you think of PnP and MUDs lol. So glad I'm not so picky. Personally think EQN/LM look top notch compared to what else is out there. Beyond Bless/Black Desert which are a totally different type of style, nothing really comes close to the detail SOE has going.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I would rather see a upgrade from EQ1 not 2. Other than that I agree I see nothing about next that does anything for me.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

EQ3 doesnt need to be a clone of 1 and 2 in order to complete the trilogy.

Only the Lore is needed in EQN to be a straight EQ3. Mechanics, and all the other things the OP mentioned have nothing to do with that. You just dont like what they are doing.  EQN is not ready to launch so we dont know how the lore will continue in that game in relation to EQ1 and 2. If its a spin off then that explains why SOE didnt call it EQ3, but if its a direct sequel then thats fine too. Mechanics dont make sequels, Story does.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like.
    Originally posted by DMKano

EQN is the 3rd iteration, the 2 previous iterations were EQ3 basically.

SOE is hoping to bring in a wide audience to EQN for max profit. It will be an ultra casual game, most likely not even a true MMORPG.COM like EQ1 and 2.

I expect EQN to be a massive disappointment to EQ fans.

I mean if H1Z1 is their idea of a game for SWG fans, it should tell you how out of touch they are.

Were SWG/UO ultra hardcore? I see EQN becoming much more like them then either EQ/WOW.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Only the Lore is needed in EQN to be a straight EQ3. Mechanics, and all the other things the OP mentioned have nothing to do with that. You just dont like what they are doing.  EQN is not ready to launch so we dont know how the lore will continue in that game in relation to EQ1 and 2. If its a spin off then that explains why SOE didnt call it EQ3, but if its a direct sequel then thats fine too. Mechanics dont make sequels, Story does.

EQ2 wasn't a sequel to EQ1. They are all different versions of the EQverse. Probably didn't call it EQ3 because, "Yay we made a 3rd game that no one plays" probably doesn't sound as good as "Yay we made the future of EQ and mmo gaming."

BTW, they've released a decent amount of lore (Novellas), pretty dang good so far.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like.

So true, nothing will please the majority here. People have such a narrow list of expectations that no game will ever make them happy. Sad really. I can see why people like one game or another (I don't like many myself) but some reasons are just silly. 

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Allein

So true, nothing will please the majority here. People have such a narrow list of expectations that no game will ever make them happy. Sad really. I can see why people like one game or another (I don't like many myself) but some reasons are just silly. 

Trying to please the majority is the problem. We need more niche games.

Originally posted by Azoth

Can't disagree, at the same time I think actually pleasing the majority when a game is promised to would be a good option as well. Too many games are for everyone and end up with good PVE, crap PVP or amazing crafting but crap everything else, "hardcore" content but 90% of the game is solo or... No one has really done it well. WoW was probably the nearest to come and then went down hill from within.

Will be interesting to see how Camelot Unchained, Albion Online, Shards and other smaller games turn out. Just think to many are hoping for a AAA game but don't want to bring the crowd that a AAA game pretty much needs these days. Can't always have cake and pie and icecream and eat it all.

If EQN has a wide variety of quality content for many types of gamers, I'll be more then happy. Hard, but not impossible to do.

With all that said, some niche styles, especially older ones, really doubt would work these days. They sound great and the memories are wonderful, but there is a reason none of those games kept players while others took off and continue to do so.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

I want a self-clumping version of EQ... I have multiple cats, they are very picky about their litter.  They don't care if they can make a sand castle in it, they just want it to not stink.  If it stinks, they will piss all over the house about it.  So if it's not self-clumping, it's already on their hate list.

Used to be they would piss in clay and be happy about it, now it has to be the finest sand or it's like walking on broken glass to them.

I vote for self-clumping, non-allergenic, perfume free, biodegradeable sand.

Originally posted by Foobarx

I want a self-clumping version of EQ... I have multiple cats, they are very picky about their litter.  They don't care if they can make a sand castle in it, they just want it to not stink.  If it stinks, they will piss all over the house about it.  So if it's not self-clumping, it's already on their hate list.

Used to be they would piss in clay and be happy about it, now it has to be the finest sand or it's like walking on broken glass to them.

I vote for self-clumping, non-allergenic, perfume free, biodegradeable sand.

I use Fresh Step - Multi Cat - Unscented. Seems to work my my "hardcore" crazy cat that seems to have ADD and works for my "casual" cat that can't be bothered with anything. =)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Can't create a niche game with a 100mil+ cost.

Remember that they scrapped the 2 previous versions - this project has drained SoE of many millions already.

And you can't please these people with low budget. So that leaves devs needing to creates a remake of an old game that is totally new, has AAA budget graphics and features but appeals to what is probably the smallest niche of players in the genre. 

It's no wonder they're getting ignored.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

EQ2 wasn't a sequel to EQ1. They are all different versions of the EQverse. Probably didn't call it EQ3 because, "Yay we made a 3rd game that no one plays" probably doesn't sound as good as "Yay we made the future of EQ and mmo gaming."

BTW, they've released a decent amount of lore (Novellas), pretty dang good so far.

oh ok, I didnt play EQ1 and played very little EQ2 to get into the lore so i didnt know they were just alternate versions of the EQ world. But you get the idea, OP seem to be confused with that too which is why i used the example of sequels. Ty for clarifying that tho.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Im kind of on both sides in a way. I would much rather something more old school with some more recent updates (i was big on EQOA and FFXI...nothing has kept me for even a fraction of time as those). Of course some of the things they suggest still sound amusing enough for me to at least give it a try, so i will, but chances are i will tire of it fast (if it ends up too damn casual/ for the masses as most games have been recently.

Nowadays i just hope for MMOs these days will just keep some of the old stuff i liked and try to get over the overdone "me too" designs. I still find it funny that pretty much every MM) trys so hard to "be for the masses" yet almost every single one since WoW blew up has either shut down or went F2P and scraping by 6-12 months later. If i was making an MMO i would point that out and build a game that would appeal to the niche and craft my budget around that fact, instead of blowing 100s of millions on the same thing as everyone else with some tweaks.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

Can't create a niche game with a 100mil+ cost.

Remember that they scrapped the 2 previous versions - this project has drained SoE of many millions already.

That's why I have no hope at all for EQN myself.  But it will probably please a lot of people for a couple weeks.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I have learned some things from past experiences...

Dedicated roles (trinity) in group PvE works well..... Much better then the all need to do everything group style of GW2, which failed me in groupbased PvE, but was fun in PvP...

GW2 has learned me that if you take away the trinity, you need to replace it with something else...  For group based PvE.

a low number of skills in total kils a lot of the tactical gameplay, most of us love

a low number of hotbar buttons does not equall a low nuber of skills..  

I can make a lovely system with just 8 buttons, and over 300 possible skills accesible...

SOE indeed so far has one of the worst implementations of free to play in their games

Their world design however, with factions, destructable stuff and real changes, seems promissing.

my biggest problem with the development team is that they somehow fail to listen to the criticisme, their questions for the playerbase mostly are useless ....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

SOE indeed so far has one of the worst implementations of free to play in their games

I'm not a huge defender of modern SOE , but what? Cosmetics and some potions are "one of the worst" ?? One price gets you premium everything + $$ in their shop on all games they own? I'd say thats probably one of the best F2P models...

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    All I see are overweight Sony emplyees desparate trying to convince their audience that they are bringing us exactly what we ask for and they are actually listening to their player base. Instead of being given real information about the game we are being fed marketing buzz talk. it is almost painful to watch their round table (and other) videos.

It takes one to know one.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by delete5230

1- Fully destructible world, I know players are screaming for a change, but this isn't it !

2- F2P turns me right off, leave it to SOE to pull this crap.

3- Few abilities on your bar ?.....I hate this in the more recent mmo's.....Maybe it's just me, but I like versatility in both talent builds and like to choose and be in control of how I play......I like having something to look forward to, More abilities, not just some minor enhancements.  

4- What's so bad about class roles ? It works and it will always work, it has nothing to do with old style.

5- The marketing.  Now I know developers like to give long notice about there product. But I don't think SOE even knows much about what they will eventually give us.

1. You have never played an MMORPG with a fully destructible world so your opinion is based on what? Yeah.

2. I don't like F2P either but with as many sub based games that have been crap the last 4 years, does it actually matter anymore? Sub does not equal quality anymore nor does it increase the chances of it being quality.

3. I agree with the lack of abilities on hotbars but we don't know if there is an ability to have multiple bars or not yet.

4. Class roles = outdated limited gameplay created to hide poor design.

5. Now you are just looking for reasons to bitch.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by time007

I agree with most of what you're saying. Yes they are lacking actual creativity, just grabbing the current fads. "action combat", "console-centric", cartoony, even that ridiculous freakin "parkour" nonsense... Maybe the WoW kiddies will swoon I don't know... I will follow the development but doubt I'll end up liking it.