Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] WildStar: Review in Progress #3

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Next week, we’ll finally slap a score on our WildStar review. I can already taste the disgruntled sentiment of some readers, the tears of joy from others, and the /shrugs of even more.  I’m actually running out of things to talk about here, as between myself and our weekly WildStar columnist Gareth Harmer, I feel like we’ve gone over and over pretty much every aspect of the game.  

Read on for the rest of our WildStar Review In Progress #3

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    'GerBill' chua brilliance!!! i pressume!
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198
    I think the MMO genre doesn't need an overhaul at all, it just needs to improve the formula that ( for me) was introduced by vanilla WoW and TBC. Fluid gameplay, balanced pvp or close to it, challenging and insanely challenging content, a sense of belonging and progress. Add that to voiced over quests like dragon age and sandbox features where player's actions impact the gameworld and you've got a winner. So far MMO's are either themepark OR sandbox, they should be both.
  • Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

I am loving Wildstar so far...  Yes it can feel grindy at times especially if you try to complete every quest at every hub but there really is no need to do so.  My overall enjoyment level hasn't decreased at all and in fact I am stoked to be getting close to end game. 

My one gripe would be the gold farmers and the hackers making it difficult to level gathering professions.  Carbine does need to address this issue ASAP.   I would give this game a solid 8.5/10 (that number would probably be a 9/10 if carbine can  resolve the hacker/farmer issues). 

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

"what I see when I look at WildStar is a bold and feature-rich MMORPG that we don’t get often enough in the genre. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but that’s not what should matter.  What game hits every note for every player? No, what’s important here is that Carbine has succeeded in making an original, irreverent, fun, and feature-filled MMORPG in a genre that many claim needs an overhaul.  Perhaps that’s not at all what it needs though.  Perhaps all the MMORPG needed was the Chua."

Excellent comment Bill :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

"As Rob and I note when we’re playing, there are quite a few wonky/weird interface bug..."

There is an add-on that puts /reloadui on a button. :)

"If there’s one thing that would get my frowny face coming out, it’s the obvious fact that WildStar would love if you bought some CREDD."
    Not sure what you mean "obvious"? There is a picture on the start up screen announcing CREDD is live (since it wasn't turned on at launch), and there is one vendor in the capital. You mean because the announcer makes a big shout-out when someone actually buys CREDD? Or...???

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

"As Rob and I note when we’re playing, there are quite a few wonky/weird interface bug..."

There is an add-on that puts /reloadui on a button. :)

or you can just make a macro with /reloadui

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ScaryboosterScarybooster Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Fanboy Bill! :P
    Signed by me
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    GRAKULEN BUY SOME CREDD OFF ME!!! Only 20 platinum!!!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Spankster77

I am loving Wildstar so far...  Yes it can feel grindy at times especially if you try to complete every quest at every hub but there really is no need to do so.  My overall enjoyment level hasn't decreased at all and in fact I am stoked to be getting close to end game. 

Agree and have decided I will sub. As alholic I'm not even at half road to end game but it does not matter. For me traveling always mattered more then destination. My bigest gripe currently is lag. I know, not all have it, but a lot they do. I.e. when using taxi all i see are just single pictures from time to time, music virtually not heard, just noise, ... terrible lag in Thayd. And can play virtually any other game all maxed out without problems.

Said this game client was worth every single penny and it is worth monthly sub.

My one gripe would be the gold farmers and the hackers making it difficult to level gathering professions.  Carbine does need to address this issue ASAP.   I would give this game a solid 8.5/10 (that number would probably be a 9/10 if carbine can  resolve the hacker/farmer issues). 

I was really pissed of because of mining teleporting bots, but last two days barely have seen 2 and have leveled all my alts that have mining without problem to level 3. Not sure if they are so efficient to remove this criminals (and criminals they are, sure not comparable to murderers, but criminals) from game or something more was included in last patch.

• Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for mentioning the FPS issues; it's the only thing really holding me back from enjoying this game to the fullest.
  • RolleZRolleZ Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Bad FPS, memory leak errors, BSOD/reboots PC = No thanks.
  • MrDrezMrDrez Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Sadly that framerate issue is the heartbreaker for me. My computer is four years old, so I don't expect ultra...but, as this feature also said, I can handle ESO on high during peak hours with framerate well north of 30, but Wildstar chugs when I'm alone on the open plain. Maybe I'll take another look once the game's been optimized, because aside from that, it did seem quite fun...
  • staryoshistaryoshi Member CommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by RolleZ
    Bad FPS, memory leak errors, BSOD/reboots PC = No thanks.

The framerate is perfect and the memory leak errors have stopped (The BSODs were memory-related). I max it at 1440p without issue.

As for the botting issue - they definitely still exist, but they never impact my harvesting goals.

Wildstar is easily the best, freshest MMO since Guild Wars 2. It has rendered all other games obsolete for me. It's a breath of fresh air and the game will only continue to improve over time.

• FoleyX90FoleyX90 Member CommonPosts: 3
    I played a few betas and the game seemed to have a lot of potential... but getting 20-30fps on medium settings using a GTX 760 on a game that looks like WoW is unacceptable. I just couldn't handle it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Originally posted by FoleyX90
    I played a few betas and the game seemed to have a lot of potential... but getting 20-30fps on medium settings using a GTX 760 on a game that looks like WoW is unacceptable. I just couldn't handle it.

The actual client runs a lot better then the BETA one. My GTX 570 runs it on ultra settings with 25-40 fps and my computer is a good 3 years old, nothing special anymore.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer