Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Eorzea, My Grandest Company

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Let’s welcome back the Final Fantasy XIV column to MMORPG.com by getting everyone up to speed with Patch 2.3: Defenders of Eorzea. We’ve got new activities to enjoy, a fearsome primal to defeat, Moogle and Hildibrand goodness to experience, and personal chambers to decorate with awesome crafted goodies.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Final Fantasy XIV: Eorzea, My Grandest Company.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    very good and well written wrap up to what is going on with FFXIV . kudos
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    SE has really stepped up and done a hell of a job with this game.  One of the best PVE themeparks available, it's nice to see a column dedicated to it.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Don't like leveling of weapons,i have already witnessed this design in FFXI and it stinks.The emote in new area idea is nothing more than a cheaper version of rehashing the Summoner quest in FFXI.

Companies is just a design based around dailies,so a Wow copy again not good to copy Wow ever.

This game is the best looking game out there,it also has a lot of upside but the main problem that ruins it for me is the combat/class design.Both combat and class were rushed on the original release and imo will never be changed for the better so no matter how much content or how many patches,it remains that same rushed design.

Obviously not everyone is like me and looks to combat and class for the most pleasure but i do believe it is a VERY important factor,FFXIV is simply a much weaker combat/class version that FFXI is/was and in cases worse than some games i already don't like.

I do realize there were a lot of fundamentals that needed to be addressed after the released debacle  however imo combat/class should have been completely over hauled or given a LOT more attention.No matter what class i played ,every single one felt identical,even the stats on weapons were identical for their levels and using a lame stat like potency also makes everything feel the same across all classes.There is of course much more to it but that is just one example of how bad the design was made,it looks to me like a design made for EASE of manipulation and control,keeping everything in check and the same.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am not trying to knock on the game,i really enjoyed for a short while and Square is the best developer out there for creating content and ideas.It simply depressed me knowing that no matter the game has more content or improves at a better pace than ANY other game in the market,it is class/combat, those 2 areas of great concern for me that i know will never be to where it needs to be that keeps me from playing and probably will never return.

Sad gamer,myself and many others just wanted another FFXI with these graphics and a few tweaks to make it better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Any more rumor on an XB1 version? Last I heard (during/right after E3) they were still in talks with Microsoft on making it happen. *crosses fingers*
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Any more rumor on an XB1 version? Last I heard (during/right after E3) they were still in talks with Microsoft on making it happen. *crosses fingers*

Still in negotiations. Hope they work it out.

Microsoft has a good reason (Security) to keep their XBOX Live network closed, but hope they can find a solution to open it up a bit in a such a way that cross play for FFXIV becomes possible, without compromising security.

It can be done, but it will require some effort on both sides.

Back to the article. I am resubbed and greatly enjoying myself again.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Microsoft has a good reason (Security) to keep their XBOX Live network closed, but hope they can find a solution to open it up a bit in a such a way that cross play for FFXIV becomes possible, without compromising security.

Welcome back to the game!

I actually spend so much time farming materials crafting that I've left the story behind somewhat. This game brings out my hoarding instincts even for low-level materials!

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I think they were saying about security cause they had any online activity you had to pay. 

Now that is gone and ESO is coming to Xbone . I can see this game coming in the future to be released on Xbone. 

Another thing i can see why they are talking security is the sharing between PC and PS3/4 feature. I do think they will take that away unless Xbox 360 and PC share accounts in FF11- i am not sure on that one.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

It's a different in philosophy.  YoshiP wants EVERYONE to play on the same servers.  Whether you're PC, PS3 or PS4.  The systems in the game, especially frontlines, pvp, Duty finder, party finder won't work as well if you splitting up your players in completely different servers.

The more people on the same server and group of servers, the smoother it is for people to find parties and do the content.

Xbox is a closed system.  The game has to be played on their servers or they won't agree. Though this provides a stable internet experience for most games on Xbox (FPS, games etc), it is horrible for MMOS.

If only 30k people buy the game for Xbox, that is the extent of your player pool.  So hundreds of thousands of people play on the PC, PS4 and PS3, while Xbox players have 30k (hypothetically).

If this game comes to Xbox, and they're not on the same servers as everyone else.  DONT BUY IT.  It will be a horrible experience.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Regarding the Xbox version, I think unless Microsoft and SE could work out an agreement to where players don't have to have a Gold account to play that this will never come to fruition.  This is probably the biggest obstacle more than anything else.

On topic:  I'm excited for this patch.  Lots of things being implemented, and the Hunt is one thing I'm really looking forward to that'll actually entice me to login everyday.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by nbtscan

Regarding the Xbox version, I think unless Microsoft and SE could work out an agreement to where players don't have to have a Gold account to play that this will never come to fruition.  This is probably the biggest obstacle more than anything else.

On topic:  I'm excited for this patch.  Lots of things being implemented, and the Hunt is one thing I'm really looking forward to that'll actually entice me to login everyday.

I dont see why they cant work that out since Final Fantasy 11 did not need a GOLD account on Xbox 360.  I was a silver member when I played it on 360.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by nbtscan

I dont see why they cant work that out since Final Fantasy 11 did not need a GOLD account on Xbox 360.  I was a silver member when I played it on 360.

This. I think SE just pays a percentage of their received Subscription fees to Microsoft as compensation.

So same thing will probably happen if FFXIV comes to XBox One.