Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone think combat would suck but enjoyed it?

woodyflywoodyfly Member UncommonPosts: 62
From what I've seen, combat seems to be slow and boring but I do consider that I might enjoy if I personally try it. Did anyone think they would hate the combat but actually liked it when they played the game?

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I did, but within the mechanics of the game it works fine. Even if you could blast off every skill, you'd still run out of MP/TP and have to wait on it to recharge anyways. I like the combat. Not as much as GW2's combat, but it is a good old fashioned trinity combat system imo.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by woodyfly
    From what I've seen, combat seems to be slow and boring but I do consider that I might enjoy if I personally try it. Did anyone think they would hate the combat but actually liked it when they played the game?

I don't think the combat sucks just a little slow for my taste. Hey you never know you might like it. Its not a bad game. The bard is pretty cool. 

Heh... compared to version 1.0, the combat in version 2.0 is extremely fast lol.

Really digging the combat system now. Much better than it was in the old version.

Towards level cap, you can reduce the GDC a bit tho with the right gear. Not much, but still a bit.

Forgot the name of the stat at the moment.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I didn't really have an opinion about the combat before I played it, but when I did, some of the classes felt too slow for me. I tried quite a few and other classes seemed to flow better. Also once leveled up enough and more skills, combat even seemed swift. Especially end levels on raids with all the movement, always doing something.

If you do play, I suggest the archer/bard. They can move freely during their skills, a lot of mobility and just seem to be a faster class. Healers actually felt pretty good to me too. I really liked white mage.

Some of the classes that I found horrific to start such as the thm/black mage ended up a lot better higher end. It was a chore getting thm to 26 for swiftcast for my whm,. Later on I decided to level it up to 50 and once I got in mid 40s it picked up and was really fun at 50.

Overall, I think most of the combat feels faster once the characters level higher and get some skills under their belts, but some seem better than other. Just running in circles shooting a mob at like level 3 or so on archer seems better than thaumartage. Hell, even the conjurer (whm) just nuking with stone only seems smoother than a lot of classes, lol.

You can probably pick it up really cheap somewhere like $10, maybe less. Think I heard someone say they got it for $3 on steam, lol. Well worth the price to just try.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    The combat is too fast. I thought I would hate it. When I played it I hated it. It's like street fighter except no combos.
  • ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

only at begining of the game, I found it kinda boring. then mid-way through the game, I just decided to stop comparing it to WoW-other MMOs, and just consider it FFXIV. and I loved it ever since, I actually understood their system is not about mashing buttom but more tactical on the positions and timing your skills/spell constently in your fight.  It is really fun if you master it and you will be doing good in end game raids, other wise you will be blocked by the wall of " Titan " :P

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95
    The combat is great, I love it personally. You will like it especially if you are used to the tactful, deliberate combat of other final fantasy games. Some people will like the combat of games like GW2 or wildstar more but I found the combat in those games really boring compared to FFXIV because of the simplicity of their combat systems (and also because I felt that the classes all played the same in those games), it's all just going to come down to what you like in a combat system. One thing that is weird when you first start playing is that the skills are kind of "locked in" to their animations, it takes a bit to get used to. They are getting rid of this for a lot of the instant skills though. Another thing to keep in mind is that the classes feel very different from each other so the monk or bard for example is going to be much more mobile and fast-paced than a black mage. You should try out a couple different ones to level 15 or so, it's very easy to switch classes in this game.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Combat would be really fun if they halved the gcd and cast times.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Couldn't agree more, however, I can't really remember the last time a new big budget game came out featuring slow paced combat so it certainly fills a niche.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Personally, I prefer an MMORPG that puts a lot more focus on other aspects than the combat.  On top of that, I prefer slower combat and time to kill ratios.  It's great not only for people with slower reflexes, but it's fantastic for more clear headed strategizing and allowing for more socializing / chatting while playing.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

combat is awfully slow because almost all the skills are like 2-2.5 second cooldown and take the same time to cast.

Changing that would significantly improve the overall combat. But its not terrible, it just needs a cooldown tweak.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Foomerang Combat would be really fun if they halved the gcd and cast times.
    Couldn't agree more, however, I can't really remember the last time a new big budget game came out featuring slow paced combat so it certainly fills a niche.

Yeah it didn't always have to be about me hehe. Besides, wildstar's combat scratches that itch well.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Do they have skillchains, magic bursts or at the very least, combos?
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

Was the exact opposite for me. I thought I would like the combat and I did for awhile but it gets old fast.

Dodge the red circle isn't that fun after awhile.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Yes. That is my only response. Yes. Favorite MMO, due in no small part to combat. 
  • RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    It is sort of an acquired taste. I was hesitant at first, but now I enjoy it. It is definitely not for everyone though.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I don't think they should change combat pacing at all.  I can't speak for other classes but Bard/Dragoon have enough abilities that are used off GCD so that I'm not sitting there waiting a sec for GCD and am constantly pressing something.  From what I've heard monk is very fast as well. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

It's slow when you start. I'm at extreme primals however and slow is definitely not the word I would use for what I'm going through. 

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    as many have said it starts out feeling kind of slow but once you get a bit higher in level it gets better and way more fun.. take dragoon or monk for instance.. they've got combos and they require you to flank or be behind the target wich makes for some interesting combat. also later on you'll get skills that are'nt on the gcd.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    as many have said it starts out feeling kind of slow but once you get a bit higher in level it gets better and way more fun.. take dragoon or monk for instance.. they've got combos and they require you to flank or be behind the target wich makes for some interesting combat. also later on you'll get skills that are'nt on the gcd.

Pretty much this.  The combat is enjoyable, they just hamstring it a bit too much early on and underestimate peoples ability to cope with new abilities and patterns.  I was forgiving to the whole ordeal because unlike some other titles, they revamped FFXIV in about two years, so there wasn't a whole lot of time to finely tweak the learning curve.

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Yoshi P mentioned some combat balancing is happening in the future, so keep you eye open for changes.  2.4 brings these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHye3NcO2hU did the Ninja jump on the mobs head, yes it did....
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

The GCD was my only problem with combat.  My summoner had a lot of instants and the GCD felt like it messed up the rhythm of my rotation.  

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I went in expecting a somewhat basic combat system, and was surprised to find it amazing.

Combat is moderately fast-paced with a lot of moving around with telegraphing from enemy abilities. The best part about the combat not being crazy fast, is that I am not constantly staring at the floor waiting for these telegraphs. I watch the enemy as it does animations to give an idea of what's happening, or read the dialogue as well, so it's not a singular non-stop distraction like WildStar.

But if you're into a game where you don't stand around at all as you shoot off your abilities, then there are likely better games for you.

But the Primal fights in FFXIV are also really tough and require quick responsiveness and coordination to get through. They're just not the majority of the game.

It also helps the combat system that the character models and animations are some of the best there is at the moment and really sells it.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by woodyfly

I was the opposite, I thought I might like it but when I tried it I found it slow and hated it.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    For anyone who thinks the combat is slow play a pugilist./monk. If you played that class and think the combat is slow it means that you like action combat and stop lying to yourself. Besides Western devs don't do real hand to hand martial artist classes anymore which absolutely sucks. I like guns too but can a man get all kung fu fighting please?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

This.  While the combat is vastly superior to FFXI and XIV 1.0, the 2.5 second GCD is holding it back.