Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I left EVE -- and why you shouldn't bother with this game.

Comments

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    Originally posted by kakasaki

There are tons more theme-park MMOs out there than games like EvE. Find one and give EvE a pass if the play style does not suit you. But to come on a forum to cry about it and rag on a great game that many players like... well, says more about you and your character than it does about the EvE player base...

There is no crying in EvE. 

Calling some a crybaby because they are shedding light upon an evil social aspect of a community is a low blow. Refute his argument with evidence no calling him/her names.

Its a game. Going on crusades over things that happen in a game is silly. Condemning an entire gamer and player base over the actions of a few is childish. But I would expect nothing else from most of the MMORPG.com crows. I swear this site is the home of some of the whiniest malcontents this side of the net.

The adult thing to do if you don't like a game is to not play and move on. But oh no, why do that when one can engage in a quixotic crusade... 

Because that is the reason since the birth of human race that have cause many men and women to fight for freedom, against injustice and is the main reason why you today are not a slave but a free man, because many people before you fought against why they considered to be unjust, evil and inmoral. 

It's a game! Look up the word "perspective" in the dictionary and then I suggest you try to find some. Save the righteous indignation for real issues, not video games. 

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Originally posted by Uhwop

There are tons more theme-park MMOs out there than games like EvE. Find one and give EvE a pass if the play style does not suit you. But to come on a forum to cry about it and rag on a great game that many players like... well, says more about you and your character than it does about the EvE player base...

There is no crying in EvE. 

Calling some a crybaby because they are shedding light upon an evil social aspect of a community is a low blow. Refute his argument with evidence no calling him/her names.

Its a game. Going on crusades over things that happen in a game is silly. Condemning an entire gamer and player base over the actions of a few is childish. But I would expect nothing else from most of the MMORPG.com crows. I swear this site is the home of some of the whiniest malcontents this side of the net.

The adult thing to do if you don't like a game is to not play and move on. But oh no, why do that when one can engage in a quixotic crusade... 

Because that is the reason since the birth of human race that have cause many men and women to fight for freedom, against injustice and is the main reason why you today are not a slave but a free man, because many people before you fought against why they considered to be unjust, evil and inmoral. 

It's a game that allows player to fill the roll of a pirate or "the bad guy".   Not real life.  

At some point we should all be able to separate what is real and what is not, so as to not confuse real unjust, evil, and immoral actions from people just playing a game as it's intended to be played.  

I feel that it's far more concerning that some people don't appear capable of making the distinction between the two, and are comfortable equating mining bumping to real world actions that are unjust, evil, and immoral. 

It's a game, not real life; you shouldn't be investing that much emotion into it.  

Thank you. At least some people on here are capable of being rational and having perspective.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Eve Online the best social experiment that proves how low humans can descend.

So you're saying that the OP's experience, and the EVE community is worse than, say, real world genocide?  

Are you saying EVE descends lower than that? 

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor
    If something loud went off in fanfest the world would only grin.

Did you seriously just say that no one would care if someone set a bomb off at fanfest?  

Thats what that sounds like, so I would really like to know wtf is wrong with you?  

And you think you're better than the people playing EvE?  Wtf.  

Loud, as in outcry/noise. But feel free to draw your own conclusion... ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Cool story bro 

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I've played EVE on and off for 10 years and have never experienced the griefing you describe. Like others have said, know the game and know what to expect. If I see a small ship appear in the asteroid belt where I am mining I immediately think scout and get the hell out of there. I don't go to low or null sec as you will get ganked and die, it's the way the game has always been.

You complain about the CODE. You realise this is a RPG and that is how they wish to role play. New players don't stay because they fail to understand how the game works and mistakengly think it like their favourite themepark When it hits home that this game is they complain like a little girl and rage quit.

The game is the way it is, if it's not for you don't play it.

If something loud went off in fanfest the world would only grin.

Did you seriously just say that no one would care if someone set a bomb off at fanfest?  

Thats what that sounds like, so I would really like to know wtf is wrong with you?  

And you think you're better than the people playing EvE?  Wtf.  

Loud, as in outcry/noise. But feel free to draw your own conclusion... ;)

Edit:  I'm just going to do the right thing.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by greatskys
    I did try EVE several years back but didn't find the community very friendly . I heard years later its mostly male so perhaps thats the reason . Too much testosterone . 

Well this would be true, as I understand it the player base is roughly 95% male, one of the highest imbalances in the industry.

Seems to be accurate based on my time in EVE, over many years and corporations.

EVE may not be very friendly, but you'll forge some of the strongest bonds with other people out of any other MMORPG out there.

When it's your corp/alliance against the universe, you really rally together and fight for the common good.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Ahnog
    Been playing the game since 2005. Never been griefed.

you are lucky man

I am was  fcked many times in many ways in game ,  but  , all was main personal mistakes or naives

• oldphartoldphart Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Sybnal

*snip*

My point is, I FELT that shit.  No game before or since could invest me emotionally like that. I actually wanted real revenge..lol.  I didn't bitch or moan or run to the forums crying like a little girl though.  I found out what my mistakes were, vowed to never repeat them, and made the money back in a couple weeks.  Eventually, I found a small merc corp that agreed to grief the suicide ganking prick and his partner at their gate camps. @#$% him.

*snip*

+1

This is pure poetry imho.  

This is exactly the way to express the true essence of EVE.   Sybnal, you just made me want to resub.   

I've played off and on since 2004.  Experienced every single aspect of the EVE universe.   Failed at many things, and excelled at a few.    

I've seen my share of painful situations. I've felt the need for revenge.  I've taken it.   I've caused others to seek revenge as well.   The point is, no other game has even come close to brewing the emotional responses that EVE draws out.   For better or worse.    .... "I FELT that shit."   spot on.    True gratification can only exist in such an atmosphere...

Kudos to you sir.  thank you for talking me into giving it another temporary reactivation ;-)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Everything's fine, seeing as there's been no sudden decline of the EVE playerbase. Believe me, if there was, it would be trumpeted on this forum immediately in half a dozen threads. 

I salute CCP for keeping EVE "EVE" !

Even the degenerates need an MMO to call home... image

I no longer play EVE, but I had 5 years of very enjoyable (and sometimes white-knuckled) gameplay there. I may well return after my long sabbatical, and I certainly hope the game will be every bit as brutal and fascinating as it was when I last played.

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    My philosophy is this. If a game offers everything I could want but the community is horrible, guess what, I don't play the game. I will play a mediocre game with an awesome community before I'll play the perfect game with a community full of ass hats.

Good and well. Your right and choice. However, will you go on a game forum to cry about it and denounce the entire community as asshats? Do you go on a self-righteous crusade to spare the masses from the great evil community? That's my only problem with threads like this.

My philosophy is this. If a game offers everything I could want but the community is horrible, guess what, I don't play the game. I will play a mediocre game with an awesome community before I'll play the perfect game with a community full of ass hats.

But you invested $500 into the repopulation.  Do you really think the community is going to be any better just because each faction has a 3rd of the map as a protected area?  

Why do you think the repopulation won't suffer the same kind of community pitfalls that every other sandbox MMO with a large emphasis on PvP has, what you so eloquently described as "ass hats"?  

To be honest I think it's more a case of pick and choose.  You'll tolerate it in a game that you like, or at least have invested a substantial amount of money into, as opposed to one you don't like.  

I really do believe that the problem isn't the community for most people like the OP, but the game itself; the community is just a convenient excuse because few people are willing to admit its them.  As in, the game isn't for them, and instead of accepting that they blame the community.  

When you get right down to it the OP is really just saying that other people had an impact in a game that thrives on players being able to have an impact on other player, and he didn't like it.  

No one ever says, I played EVE and another player had an impact on me and I didn't like it.  It's always, the community sucks so I'm not going to play and neither should you.  

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I love EVE.

250k less jerks to play the games I do like.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

I love EVE.

So someone like me who spent 7 years in EVE, was even a member of goonwaffe, never did any pvp other than being blown up twice, never scammed anyone, and spent most of my time as an industrialist who built things to sell in null sec, am by default a jerk because I played EVE?  

So if I'm a jerk for playing EVE, then what is someone who will call people they don't know a jerk for playing a game?  

BTW, members of goonwaffe are in every MMO out there.  

And I know it's hard to believe, but people who play EVE also play other games.  You should probably stop playing MMO's, I mean you don't want to play with one of us jerks, right? 

Seriously, they should just close these threads.  

They only ever have the same result.  A platform for people to berate and stereotype others for playing EVE.  

How many posts need to be made calling EVE players ass hats, jerks, sociopaths, scum, etc. before someone realizes that these threads serve no purpose other than for people to insult an entire group of gamers.  

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I love EVE.

So someone like me who spent 7 years in EVE, was even a member of goonwaffe, never did any pvp other than being blown up twice, never scammed anyone, and spent most of my time as an industrialist who built things to sell in null sec, am by default a jerk because I played EVE?  

So if I'm a jerk for playing EVE, then what is someone who will call people they don't know a jerk for playing a game?  

And I know it's hard to believe, but people who play EVE also play other games.  You should probably stop playing MMO's, I mean you don't want to play with one of us jerks, right? 

Did I specifically call you a Jerk or are you assuming I think you are one of the 250K?

I love EVE.

Did I specifically call you a Jerk or are you assuming I think you are one of the 250K?

Not at all, I think you're just trying to insult the EVE community.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Good and well. Your right and choice. However, will you go on a game forum to cry about it and denounce the entire community as asshats? Do you go on a self-righteous crusade to spare the masses from the great evil community? That's my only problem with threads like this.

I don't think that anyone who's reasonable or logical thinks that an entire community are simply horrible people. There are undoubtedly good willed, good natured people playing the game. However, I don't believe that it's a game that's for the faint of heart and I do think that the community is regarded as somewhat toxic, and not really getting better. 

I think that a lot of it is probably perceptual, something like Everquest when it was first released and how it was corrupting our youth and how horrible people were in that game. 

As I mentioned, EVE does a LOT of things REALLY well. The CSM is genius. I wish more games would do player councils. The question is whether CCP will allow their game to die at the hands of the players, because I'd argue that's where it's going. You must admit that, as a new player, if you don't have someone who can mentor you, you're basically screwed. It's NOT a solo game and if you go into that way, then it can, very much, be an experience like burning ants with a magnifying glass, and you're the ant. 

I honestly don't think that there are enough "good" people to significantly change the game for the better, or make it noob friendly. Take a look at the CSM members. At least we know politics are alive and well in EVE.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

Wow EVE sounds like an amazing game.     to bad im so casual,sounds like you need to invest alot into the game.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• HejietHejiet Member Posts: 49

I had a similar experience from a new player's POV. This is from like 3 years ago.

I tried EVE on a free trial account and liked it enough to subscribe, I even took 2 accounts so that I could mine and transport rapidly with 2 vessels.

I guess I didn't know much how to transfer stuff in space from one ship to another so what I would do is put the ore in space and grab it with my other vessel.

Then some guy came around (Mr.Pain his name was if I remember correctly) and did something to the can which made it "his" so when I took my stuff from it, he could attack me in High Sec.

He disabled my vessels (I had no fighting capabilities as I was just mining) and demanded that I give him 1mil credits which I didn't have as I had just started the game and recently bought the new mining vessel.

When he blew me up, I deleted my subs and uninstalled the game.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by rensta

Wow EVE sounds like an amazing game.     to bad im so casual,sounds like you need to invest alot into the game.

EVE is very time intensive if you really want to get into the deep and fun stuff.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I love Eve.  Only Eve could evoke such hateful posts from it's detractors.  Keep it coming kiddies!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

99% of the other MMO devs took the wimpy safe route of just copying WoW. why would you want one of the few games that has the balls to do otherwise bow down to pressure from carebears and become like the rest? The game clearly isn't for you...there's a TON of other choices out there, pick one.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Seriously, they should just close these threads.  

They only ever have the same result.  A platform for people to berate and stereotype others for playing EVE.  

How many posts need to be made calling EVE players ass hats, jerks, sociopaths, scum, etc. before someone realizes that these threads serve no purpose other than for people to insult an entire group of gamers.  

I agree.

I never understood why someone leaving an MMO for whatever valid or no valid reasons feels the need to come here and enlighten us about the tribulations he thinks he suffered urging us to heed his words so we can avoid a horrible experience. 

When will people understand that how someone perceives and experiences games especially MMO's like EVE is an entirely subjective thing. 

STOP trying to enforce your opinion on others!