Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 3 Worst MMO Companies Of All Time

Comments

• HockeyisthegameHockeyisthegame Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Dilweed
    Originally posted by Hockeyisthegame
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

I keep seeing people saying EA.

What MMO's has EA themselves ever created? 

It has nothing to do with actual legit reasons,  it's all about the "cool thing to do" right now is hate on the big bad evil companies...well EA is one of those companies according to them so the sheep follow the other sheep cause it's "cool".

Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis, Bioware, DICE, all gone, I'm probably forgetting a few.... Calling everyone sheep makes you what? cool?

Hmm Dice still involved with BF4 so not gone..getting info from a sheep are you?

Bioware still involved with ME, DA, Swtoe so not gone...getting your info from a sheep are you?

So lying on a post makes you what?  Cool?

Lol, I knew you were gonna say that, whatever dude, like DICE and Bioware are doing great, BF4 is one big bug fest and when was the last time Bioware made a good game like they used too? It is hard to destroy a studio in a few months, give it 2 more years. Anyway, ignorance is bliss, keep blissing, more power to you :)

/edit

Ow, you also missed one, Maxis is still around, remember simcity online? LOL

I hope you don't miss the sarcasm this time like you missed the irony last time

/edit2

I forgot the most important part, I'm already cool, no need to lie :D

Ignorant is bliss? A few months? No need to lie? Well this is the second lie I caught you in so stay cool I guess.

A few months?  They acquired Dice in 2006!!  They acquired BW in 2007!!  A few months hmm.  

So who is being ignorant and lying here??  Sure isn't me.  

Yep, just keep ignoring the other studio's that are also gone....

Has the quality of games from Dice and BW gone up or gone down since they are acquired?

thought so.

Keeping a brand name, doesn't mean the studio is still there, ow btw Mythic anyone?

Keep nitpicking my post and ignore my main point, that is how you do it.

He seems to think that because he sees dice and bioware that it means that the same company that made the games prior to EA are the same ones who made them after.  

Wonder why all the guys that created bioware left soon after EA acquired them.  

BF after EA has been horrible, how is it that the games get worse instead of better after EA gets the studio?  

Or maybe this guy didn't hear about the EA exec that pitched the idea of selling ammo in BF?   Not even as a what if, but a serious belief that that was the future of monetizing games.  

Yah, not liking EA is just about being cool and has nothing to do with them being a genuinely shitty company.  

BTW, my simcity game still doesn't frigging work properly, let alone do what it was advertised to when I purchased it, what, nearly 2 years ago?  

Geez I wish I was part of a genuine shitty company that pulled in over $1 Billion in revenue last year...that's billion with a B! A few here are a little butthurt towards EA but it's obvious a lot still like and play their games.  
  • sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Even though they've never released a game and probably never will, shouldn't Visionary Realms be #1 on the list?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

these discussions remind me of how terrible the AAA space is. It must be one of two possibles.

1. They really are this stupid and where unaware of how they put in special effort to f*ck things up

2. They all work for the NSA (and others) in an effort to dumb down the population by explicitly ruining games that require advanced thinking and replace such games with adolescent indulange and suggestions such as to dumb down the population which in turns makes the population easier to control.

I am going with number 1 but its hard for me to believe, number 2 is almost more believable.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ValentinelessValentineless Member Posts: 51
    Ncosft one of the worst mmo companies of all time to you? you must not know alot of huge or small gaming developers. You should do your research more further if your trying to compare every single company and add of all time. Ncsoft has its points but still exist where others are scarp to the ground and forgotten

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

It has nothing to do with actual legit reasons,  it's all about the "cool thing to do" right now is hate on the big bad evil companies...well EA is one of those companies according to them so the sheep follow the other sheep cause it's "cool".

Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis, Bioware, DICE, all gone, I'm probably forgetting a few.... Calling everyone sheep makes you what? cool?

Hmm Dice still involved with BF4 so not gone..getting info from a sheep are you?

Bioware still involved with ME, DA, Swtoe so not gone...getting your info from a sheep are you?

Lol, I knew you were gonna say that, whatever dude, like DICE and Bioware are doing great, BF4 is one big bug fest and when was the last time Bioware made a good game like they used too? It is hard to destroy a studio in a few months, give it 2 more years. Anyway, ignorance is bliss, keep blissing, more power to you :)

/edit

/edit2

Ignorant is bliss? A few months? No need to lie? Well this is the second lie I caught you in so stay cool I guess.

A few months?  They acquired Dice in 2006!!  They acquired BW in 2007!!  A few months hmm.  

Has the quality of games from Dice and BW gone up or gone down since they are acquired?

thought so.

Keeping a brand name, doesn't mean the studio is still there, ow btw Mythic anyone?

He seems to think that because he sees dice and bioware that it means that the same company that made the games prior to EA are the same ones who made them after.  

BF after EA has been horrible, how is it that the games get worse instead of better after EA gets the studio?  

Or maybe this guy didn't hear about the EA exec that pitched the idea of selling ammo in BF?   Not even as a what if, but a serious belief that that was the future of monetizing games.  

Yah, not liking EA is just about being cool and has nothing to do with them being a genuinely shitty company.  

BTW, my simcity game still doesn't frigging work properly, let alone do what it was advertised to when I purchased it, what, nearly 2 years ago?  

Geez I wish I was part of a genuine shitty company that pulled in over $1 Billion in revenue last year...that's billion with a B! A few here are a little butthurt towards EA but it's obvious a lot still like and play their games.  

Coke makes billions, doesn't mean they haven't literally taken all of the clean drinking water in several towns in Africa, used it all to make coke products and leaving none for the people to drink, and then shut down the factory that was the only source of income for most of those people, who now have to buy coke products as its the only thing that's safe to drink.  

Or maybe the billion dollar water companies that go into South American countries, buy all the water rights, and then prevent people from drinking that water unless they pay for it, been though they can't afford it.  Or maybe the water company that was responsible for a revolt in one country after they paid the government to outlaw the collection of rain water.  

Oh, did you know those same companies are doing that very same thing here in the US?  Indeed, they recently passed a law that makes it illegal to collect rain water in some parts of MD.  

Or how about Pepsi who wanted to buy the rights to the water in one of the Great Lakes, that was already publicly owned, so they could use it to make Pepsi products.  So much so that they started stealing the water and the community in the area had to go through a legal battle to get Pepsi out of the area.  Pepsi is another company that will use all the water in an area to the point that they are willing to drain entire lakes.  

Wtf does being a shitty company have to do with profits?  Generally speaking the shittiest companies in the world are the most profitable.  They get that way by being shitty companies, run by shitty people, who don't give a shit about the people they sell their products to.  

But hey, coke makes a lot of profit so who cares that they supported paramilitaries in foreign countries because they killed union officials, which helped to keep cokes operating costs down.  You don't have to believe me, the court records are public.  

Most people live in a bubble where they don't care what a company does as long as its not negatively impacting them.  Eventually your bubble will run out of air.  

PS I could also tell you about G. W. Bush exempting natural gas drilling from the EPA clean water act because Halliburton was the only company that produced all the stuff needed for fracking, the same stuff that caused the drinking water in many areas to become toxic after it was contaminated with chemicals and methane.  I guess I shouldn't care they're about to do the same shit to my water because they're billion dollar companies, one of which my former Vice President used to be the CEO of.  

• HockeyisthegameHockeyisthegame Member Posts: 84

/edit

/edit2

thought so.

Coke makes billions, doesn't mean they haven't literally taken all of the clean drinking water in several towns in Africa, used it all to make coke products and leaving none for the people to drink, and then shut down the factory that was the only source of income for most of those people, who now have to buy coke products as its the only thing that's safe to drink.  

Or maybe the billion dollar water companies that go into South American countries, buy all the water rights, and then prevent people from drinking that water unless they pay for it, been though they can't afford it.  Or maybe the water company that was responsible for a revolt in one country after they paid the government to outlaw the collection of rain water.  

Oh, did you know those same companies are doing that very same thing here in the US?  Indeed, they recently passed a law that makes it illegal to collect rain water in some parts of MD.  

Or how about Pepsi who wanted to buy the rights to the water in one of the Great Lakes, that was already publicly owned, so they could use it to make Pepsi products.  So much so that they started stealing the water and the community in the area had to go through a legal battle to get Pepsi out of the area.  Pepsi is another company that will use all the water in an area to the point that they are willing to drain entire lakes.  

Wtf does being a shitty company have to do with profits?  Generally speaking the shittiest companies in the world are the most profitable.  They get that way by being shitty companies, run by shitty people, who don't give a shit about the people they sell their products to.  

But hey, coke makes a lot of profit so who cares that they supported paramilitaries in foreign countries because they killed union officials, which helped to keep cokes operating costs down.  You don't have to believe me, the court records are public.  

Most people live in a bubble where they don't care what a company does as long as its not negatively impacting them.  Eventually your bubble will run out of air.  

PS I could also tell you about G. W. Bush exempting natural gas drilling from the EPA clean water act because Halliburton was the only company that produced all the stuff needed for fracking, the same stuff that caused the drinking water in many areas to become toxic after it was contaminated with chemicals and methane.  I guess I shouldn't care they're about to do the same shit to my water because they're billion dollar companies, one of which my former Vice President used to be the CEO of.  

Holy MSNBC Batman!!! You good after that little rant?  Btw I never mention profits I said revenue there is a difference.  From my knowledge EA is not taking clean water away from your little beloved African countries.  I mentioned revenue to point out a lot of people don't feel it's a horrible company and still support their games.  

Now you want to politics go back to msnbc this is not that site for your propaganda.  

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

1. EA, greedy greedy...

2. NCsoft, no innovation and seems have a lot farmers/bots in games.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1.NCsoft : they  kill TR for personal fight with  asshole RG

2.Cryptic/PW ; here not need coment

3.SOE - they making good mmo's but ruined it with time

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by DMKano
    I don't see how you could say that about SOE - I mean they are giving SWG fans what they've been waiting for after all these years A zombie survival game! Yay.......... .... .. Umm. yeah.

Especially when EQN:L, excuse me L is a sandbox with adventure, danger, and pvp in a fully destructible world. It's amazing.  You can make you own mmorpg for only $60!

(none of this stuff is actually in game, and wont be in the game anytime soon. That's if we decided to do it at all sukas!. Smed)

Are you seriously complaining about features not being available In ALPHA?

Just shoot me. Somebody please...

I would also like to point out that EA did not "release" ultima online or daoc. They bought out origin and mythic years after the games had come out. Not sure how daoc is doing but UO isn't even recognizable anymore.

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

/edit

/edit2

thought so.

Holy MSNBC Batman!!! You good after that little rant?  Btw I never mention profits I said revenue there is a difference.  From my knowledge EA is not taking clean water away from your little beloved African countries.  I mentioned revenue to point out a lot of people don't feel it's a horrible company and still support their games.  

Now you want to politics go back to msnbc this is not that site for your propaganda.  

Dude, I agree that his wall of text might be a little bit off-topic but you are really good in missing the point.

His point is that a billion dollar revenue/profit/whatever company not automatically means that it is a good company.  Maybe a cigarette company would have been a better example.

Anyway, stop missing/dodging the point, makes for a better conversation.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

1.NCsoft : they  kill TR for personal fight with  asshole RG

2.Cryptic/PW ; here not need coment

3.SOE - they making good mmo's but ruined it with time

Not sure what the slash PW is here. Perfect World != Cryptic

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

and when CoH had seemingly reached its peak they pulled the cape right from under our heroes feet and we would never walk again. 

I don't think I've ever read a more factually inaccurate statement. CoH was far past its peak by the time it closed.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

My number one on this list is EA with out a doubt, they made my love for warhammer die very early, they didn't make a great job with APB either. The list for failures from this company is loooooooong.

Perfect world is second with all of there really shitty games. 

In third I will put blizzard just because of there greed, they are like Scrooge McDuck just doing everything to make there money grow bigger and never ever giving anything for a fair price.

ps NCsoft rules :)

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

As much as I hate EA, I dont consider them one of the worst MMO companies because they have, in most situations, only been subjectively accused of ruining certain MMO's. Alot of the information about Warhammer and DAOC proves that it was Mythic's poor choices that ruined both games.

I think of people hating EA for Warhammer - as I do people hating SOE for Vanguard. 

Vanguard was done long before SOE got their hands on it. If anything they pulled its head out of the water before dunking it back in again for its final gasping, water-clogged, breath.

Again there's reasons to hate SOE and EA, but these games are not the reason. Both games had problems from the core development team at Mythic and Sigil - respectively.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

wouldnt EA be on the the list just because its EA  lol

but its nice to see SOE is still leading in something

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

If you are talking strictly Developers. my list would be

Mythic

Cryptic

Zenimax

If you are talking Publishers/Developers, my list would be

NCSoft

EA

SOE

Adventurine makes that list also

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I have become death, the destroyer of virtual worlds
    - uncredited (and fired) EA exec.

...Vanguard was done long before SOE got their hands on it. If anything they pulled its head out of the water before dunking it back in again for its final gasping, water-clogged, breath.

SOE threw Vanguard a life preserver so it could take a few gasps of Air before SOE attached 100 pound weights to it. (Quest hubs + lots more).

Originally posted by FelixMajor
    ...SOE brought us Planetside, which was my favourite game for years, and years...

I've been playing it all week. Hope you are too (see my signature).

(Coke and Pepsi are doing base deeds)]

Wow. Interesting. Thanks.

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    SOE SAVED Vanguard.

See my first comment, above.

I think that Smedley admitted that there were mistakes made

Admitting mistakes is pointless unless one demonstrates they've learned from them.

Smed might be one of the few, true MMO advocates that there are out there right now. Regardless what you think, this guys really does geek out on MMOs. Also, SOE is a company who is still trying to trail blaze. They're one of the few companies actually taking risks.

If by risk, you mean risking the future of SOE, then yes I agree. If Smed really does have great ideas, and is being held back by his higher ups, then he needs to take some advocation classes. The only new thing I see from SOE is rhetoric and hype. I will be shocked if EQ Next is anything other than an obvious WoW clone + some gimmick.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

when i see:

gPotato

gameforge

NCsoft   , then i know things will go bad or there will be a scum ...

the fun factor is that i love GW2 and i have pre-purchased, maybe cause i was trusting the developer and not the publisher...

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Sorry, but no company has a worse MMO record than EA.

They destroyed Earth and Beyond.

They destroyed Mythic (along with Imperator, WARHammer, and the DAoC classic server that was in development).

They ruined Ultima Online.

They somehow failed at making The Sims Online.

And they're the company behind the biggest MMORPG flop in history, SWTOR.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

EA for sure, followed by NCSoft, and both for similar reasons.

EA shut down one of the best MMOs of its time, Earth & Beyond, because it 'wasn't profitable enough'. It had a steady player base, and made EA money each month, just not the bajillions they were hoping for. They killed off the MMO, then killed off Westwood Studios shortly thereafter.

NCSoft for pulling the rug out from underneath Tabula Rasa just as it was getting good and picking up steam, then cancelling CoX for reasons similar to those used by EA for E&B.

Cryptic for the joke that is Neverwinter, with PWE right beside them.

Even though they're no longer around, Flagship Studios, specifically Bill Roper, get an honorable mention. Hellgate was a fun game with a few flaws (mostly fixed) killed off by complete and utter incompetence on the part of Flagship's management. They released the game too early, took their sweet time fixing it, and took on an extra project (which also eventually closed) before even making sure they could bankroll it.

Where the fuck is my hundred bucks, Roper?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

EA for sure, followed by NCSoft, and both for similar reasons.

EA shut down one of the best MMOs of its time, Earth & Beyond, because it 'wasn't profitable enough'. It had a steady player base, and made EA money each month, just not the bajillions they were hoping for. They killed off the MMO, then killed off Westwood Studios shortly thereafter.

NCSoft for pulling the rug out from underneath Tabula Rasa just as it was getting good and picking up steam, then cancelling CoX for reasons similar to those used by EA for E&B.

Cryptic for the joke that is Neverwinter, with PWE right beside them.

Even though they're no longer around, Flagship Studios, specifically Bill Roper, get an honorable mention. Hellgate was a fun game with a few flaws (mostly fixed) killed off by complete and utter incompetence on the part of Flagship's management. They released the game too early, took their sweet time fixing it, and took on an extra project (which also eventually closed) before even making sure they could bankroll it.

Where the fuck is my hundred bucks, Roper?

E&B had walking in stations too right? I never understood how EVE didnt launch with that when E&B had it?!

I remember there being some hardcore fans of that game as well, specifically in my high school there was this really nerdy black kid who always wore a E&B t-shirt to school, he was one of the tech kids and would sit in the back of my typing class and play E&B because he finished all his work so fast.

I walked by him once and asked him what he was playing, he said "O its Earth and Beyond, its an Online game with hundreds of other players." So I replied to him "O you mean like SWG?!" 

To which he said, "Yeah except it doesnt suck!" hahaha

I always thought it was a funny exchange because shortly after E&B was closed down and SWG got the NGE, so in the end we both kinda lost haha.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I agree with OP, but I'd have Cryptic at 4, and Funcom as 3...but they're close.  I still to this day haven't installed anything SOE in 6 years :)  I feel sorry for those who are hyped for EQN,  I'd like the game myself, since I loved EQ, but it is SOE.  There's only one thing SOE is good at and that's ruining games.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by threefeet

soe did or is about to get out of the mmo business

That couldn't be more wrong.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    have you forgoten about snail games? really....

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I know I seem like a different type of gamer around these forums but I really can not understand these type of topics.

All the gamecompany's anyone has mentioned, especially the bigger well known ones have brought hunderds,thousands, million of players fun games, regardless that I might have not liked some of them or some of the decissions made to those games I simply can not consider entertaining companies to be listed as worst company's.

I just view some company's as not making the type of MMORPG's I would have liked. Still doesn't make them worst.

I didn't like what SOE did with the NGE, but anyone active back then could have already know things might change due to the most common complaints I read on the forums back then. Still doesn't make SOE be part of the worst company, especially since they have given me the longest entertainment hours no other MMORPG has ever matched (SWG for me)

I might have certain preferences in gamecompany's to look out for games they develop