Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 3 Worst MMO Companies Of All Time

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

I keep seeing people saying EA.

What MMO's has EA themselves ever created? 

You don't see the double standard in knocking NCSoft for Auto Assault and City of Heroes, and then dismissing EA because they were publisher, not developer?

But to list some of EA's MMOs

• Motor City Online
    • Ultima Online 
    • Dark Age of Camelot
    • Earth and Beyond
    • The Sims Online
    • Warhammer Online
    There were also some that never made it out of development, like Privateer Online, UO2 and UX:O.

"Much of the hatred is not so much for what EA creates as for what EA destroys." - Quizzical

Quizzical summed it up very well. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HockeyisthegameHockeyisthegame Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Acidon.Numen
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Much of the hatred is not so much for what EA creates as for what EA destroys.  Find a respected studio, buy it, bleed the life out of it, shut it down.  Fans of the formerly respected studio tend not to like this.

Exactly this.

It's similar to a horse.  EA buys a known and well-liked studio (a good horse), ride it hard until it collapses, and then put two in the head and look for their next horse. 

Yes blame EA...don't you think as you say these "well-liked" studios if they were I don't know "well run" "financially stable" they wouldn't need to be bought but EA?  So you think EA put a gun to their head and made them sell their company?  Most of the complies that were "well-liked" and not "financially sound" would have died well before they did if EA didn't put money into them.  

But I guess to the likes of you being "well-liked" is all that matters in the world of business right???  /facepalm 

Originally posted by Loktofeit

You don't see the double standard in knocking NCSoft for Auto Assault and City of Heroes, and then dismissing EA because they were publisher, not developer?

• Motor City Online
    • Ultima Online 
    • Dark Age of Camelot
    • Earth and Beyond
    • The Sims Online
    • Warhammer Online
    There were also some that never made it out of development, like Privateer Online, UO2 and UX:O.

So because the games you listed were not successful not making money (that is the point of running a successful business FYI)  most before EA ever got involved you are going to blame EA for shutting them down?  Yeah that sounds like a very logical way of thinking...
    Originally posted by Hockeyisthegame

Much of the hatred is not so much for what EA creates as for what EA destroys.  Find a respected studio, buy it, bleed the life out of it, shut it down.  Fans of the formerly respected studio tend not to like this.

Exactly this.

It's similar to a horse.  EA buys a known and well-liked studio (a good horse), ride it hard until it collapses, and then put two in the head and look for their next horse. 

Yes blame EA...don't you think as you say these "well-liked" studios if they were I don't know "well run" "financially stable" they wouldn't need to be bought but EA?  So you think EA put a gun to their head and made them sell their company?  Most of the complies that were "well-liked" and not "financially sound" would have died well before they did if EA didn't put money into them.  

But I guess to the likes of you being "well-liked" is all that matters in the world of business right???  /facepalm 

Peter Moore, is that you?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Motor City Online
    • Ultima Online 
    • Dark Age of Camelot
    • Earth and Beyond
    • The Sims Online
    • Warhammer Online

So because the games you listed were not successful not making money (that is the point of running a successful business FYI)  most before EA ever got involved you are going to blame EA for shutting them down?  Yeah that sounds like a very logical way of thinking...

I didn't blame EA for anything. You're unnecessarily defensive. So much so that you made that comment about a list that included UO and DAoC. He asked what EA released. I listed the MMOs. 

Seems we've got someone with an agenda here. Shame. 

Exactly this.

Nope just a normal joe that understands that being "well-liked" in life and in business does not give you automatic pass to being successful.  Sorry I am the one to give you that harsh life lesson.  

I play Swtor if they came out and said they are shutting it down because it's not profitable guess what I wouldn't shed a tear, I would move on with my life and not miss a beat.  I sure wouldn't cry and act like they are some evil company cause they made a good business decision by shutting down something that wasn't working.  It's really not that hard of a concept.  

Any business not just in video games so purpose is not to be "well-liked" but to be financially successful.  Now based on how financially successful EA is a meager $1billion in revenue it's pretty clear they are also "well-liked" by some people. 

• Acidon.NumenAcidon.Numen Member Posts: 55

Exactly this.

I'm assuming you're serious..

Selling out does not mean they were in financial trouble.  There's no evidence that (most of) these companies were in trouble before EA came in, offered a more than fair buyout proposal, with clever contracts which makes them think they'll still be able to produce games as before, and find out too late that  - yes -  it was too good to be true.

I seriously cba to dig up all of the legitimate articles to support my statement.  If you want to disprove me, by all means try to find articles to the contrary.  White-Knighting EA is most ridiculous thing I've seen a long time - so thanks for that at least.

I'm done.  This is going nowhere.  I could go to the trouble to provide irrefutable evidence to support my statements and it wouldn't be enough for you to admit you were wrong.  So why bother?

Best of luck championing EA, "our great savior".  Or as I like to call them, "The Great Devourer".

EDIT: And bypassing the logical and well-laid arguments and going for cheap shots quoting things out of context doesn't help your cause.  A friendly tip.

Please Note: I'm done arguing with unreasonable people with an agenda and/or those that fail to see logic.

Argue if you must, discount my post with anti-logic and/or Hyperbole. I won't be responding any longer.

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Dilweed

It has nothing to do with actual legit reasons,  it's all about the "cool thing to do" right now is hate on the big bad evil companies...well EA is one of those companies according to them so the sheep follow the other sheep cause it's "cool".

Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis, Bioware, DICE, all gone, I'm probably forgetting a few.... Calling everyone sheep makes you what? cool?

Hmm Dice still involved with BF4 so not gone..getting info from a sheep are you?

Bioware still involved with ME, DA, Swtoe so not gone...getting your info from a sheep are you?

So lying on a post makes you what?  Cool?

Lol, I knew you were gonna say that, whatever dude, like DICE and Bioware are doing great, BF4 is one big bug fest and when was the last time Bioware made a good game like they used too? It is hard to destroy a studio in a few months, give it 2 more years. Anyway, ignorance is bliss, keep blissing, more power to you :)

/edit

Ow, you also missed one, Maxis is still around, remember simcity online? LOL

I hope you don't miss the sarcasm this time like you missed the irony last time

/edit2

I forgot the most important part, I'm already cool, no need to lie :D

Exactly this.

I'm assuming you're serious..

Selling out does not mean they were in financial trouble.  There's no evidence that (most of) these companies were in trouble before EA came in, offered a more than fair buyout proposal, with clever contracts which makes them think they'll still be able to produce games as before, and find out too late that  - yes -  it was too good to be true.

I seriously cba to dig up all of the legitimate articles to support my statement.  If you want to disprove me, by all means try to find articles to the contrary.  White-Knighting EA is most ridiculous thing I've seen a long time - so thanks for that at least.

I'm done.  This is going nowhere.  I could go to the trouble to provide irrefutable evidence to support my statements and it wouldn't be enough for you to admit you were wrong.  So why bother?

Best of luck championing EA, "our great savior".  Or as I like to call them, "The Great Devourer".

EDIT: And bypassing the logical and well-laid arguments and going for cheap shots quoting things out of context doesn't help your cause.  A friendly tip.

A little friendly tip for you also...all these companies had lawyers and that fact you can't produce one link to back up your accusations proves you have no proof of this and are just repeating something you heard on a post one time and thought it sounded cleaver.  

Btw if understanding business is white knighting then I guess I'm guilty.  

Exactly this.

Nope just a normal joe that understands that being "well-liked" in life and in business does not give you automatic pass to being successful.  Sorry I am the one to give you that harsh life lesson.  

I play Swtor if they came out and said they are shutting it down because it's not profitable guess what I wouldn't shed a tear, I would move on with my life and not miss a beat.  I sure wouldn't cry and act like they are some evil company cause they made a good business decision by shutting down something that wasn't working.  It's really not that hard of a concept.  

Any business not just in video games so purpose is not to be "well-liked" but to be financially successful.  Now based on how financially successful EA is a meager $1billion in revenue it's pretty clear they are also "well-liked" by some people. 

You're throwing out insults and snide remarks over a comment I neither made nor defended, primarily because you took it out of context and are backing it with completely false information. In any case, your replies have gone from confusingly crazy to awesomely amusing, so I look forward to your future contributions to this thread. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Well if we want to go there, NCSoft  "really" isn't a development house either. 

Unfortunately, you seem to forget some real key things about these companies. First, SOE SAVED Vanguard. The fact that Brad McQuaid is a waste of skin can't be blamed, to any degree, on SOE. They believed in the concept he pitched. Unfortunately, we see that the delta between vision and reality for Brad is outside his own reach (as with Pantheon). As far as SWG goes, I think that Smedley admitted that there were mistakes made, and I never fault anyone for remaining accountable. Smed might be one of the few, true MMO advocates that there are out there right now. Regardless what you think, this guys really does geek out on MMOs. Also, SOE is a company who is still trying to trail blaze. They're one of the few companies actually taking risks. They've got their All Access pass, which is pretty damn awesome. With they published WoW. What's your gripe man? That one game they did only survived a few years? Geez! That's an eternity for most games in this genre. Get a clue! 

As for NCSoft, Guild Wars and CoH. Nuff said. Again, it was around for nearly a decade!!! 

As far as Cryptic goes, if you consider CoH mediocre, IDK what you're looking for. Call Neverwinter mediocre, sure, but CoH was great. STO, never really got into it, but it still lives on today. What are we at now? 5 years? 

I really don't get your arguments, they seem to center around a single game that the company did that people still tend to whine and gripe about. Personally, I'm tired of hearing about SWG because the support for the game, outside of an extreme niche, was never really there. After the initial box sales were done, it was only downhill from there. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Exactly this.

You're throwing out insults and snide remarks over a comment I neither made nor defended, primarily because you took it out of context and are backing it with completely false information. In any case, your replies have gone from confusingly crazy to awesomely amusing, so I look forward to your future contributions to this thread. 

What information is completely false?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by GrayImpact

I feel like this wasn't given much thought or only mentioned big names.

What about Nexon, frogster, Ankama? They're all much worse then any of these.

I totally agree on nexon and gameforge, but I can't say I ever heard of ankama, 

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

It has nothing to do with actual legit reasons,  it's all about the "cool thing to do" right now is hate on the big bad evil companies...well EA is one of those companies according to them so the sheep follow the other sheep cause it's "cool".

Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis, Bioware, DICE, all gone, I'm probably forgetting a few.... Calling everyone sheep makes you what? cool?

Hmm Dice still involved with BF4 so not gone..getting info from a sheep are you?

Bioware still involved with ME, DA, Swtoe so not gone...getting your info from a sheep are you?

Lol, I knew you were gonna say that, whatever dude, like DICE and Bioware are doing great, BF4 is one big bug fest and when was the last time Bioware made a good game like they used too? It is hard to destroy a studio in a few months, give it 2 more years. Anyway, ignorance is bliss, keep blissing, more power to you :)

/edit

/edit2

Ignorant is bliss? A few months? No need to lie? Well this is the second lie I caught you in so stay cool I guess.

A few months?  They acquired Dice in 2006!!  They acquired BW in 2007!!  A few months hmm.  

So who is being ignorant and lying here??  Sure isn't me.  

Yep, just keep ignoring the other studio's that are also gone....

Has the quality of games from Dice and BW gone up or gone down since they are acquired?

thought so.

Keeping a brand name, doesn't mean the studio is still there, ow btw Mythic anyone?

Keep nitpicking my post and ignore my main point, that is how you do it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Shaigh

Yeah, but just remember, this is one person's opinion based on their experience. I don't think it was really meant to be a research project. That's why it's in a discussion thread and not a published article. We can all weigh in with our own experiences whether they are in line with the OP's or not.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Doesn't matter, after the TOR boondoggle, EA won't be getting involved with another MMO for some time.

Nothing makes a company gun shy more than all the executives of a project (but one), getting fired.

So who cares.

(Also, at some point in the last couple years of SWG, SOE tried to put zombies in that game (and did ANOTHER vet trial), even tho it made no damn sense. Didn't work, and no one cared, because it was slapped together crap that didn't fit with the rest of the game.

(So now SOE is doing a whole game of that and expecting SWG vets to return? Yeah right....)

• sedriksedrik Member UncommonPosts: 9

for me the worst company are :

Prosiebensat

Nexon

Gpotato

special mention : GOA

• zach_bzach_b Member Posts: 28

Trion

NCSoft

PWE

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Doesn't matter, after the TOR boondoggle, EA won't be getting involved with another MMO for some time.

Nothing makes a company gun shy more than all the executives of a project (but one), getting fired.

So who cares.

(Also, at some point in the last couple years of SWG, SOE tried to put zombies in that game (and did ANOTHER vet trial), even tho it made no damn sense. Didn't work, and no one cared, because it was slapped together crap that didn't fit with the rest of the game.

(So now SOE is doing a whole game of that and expecting SWG vets to return? Yeah right....)

I just can't help but wonder.........

Was Smed intentionally pissing in SWG fan's Cheerios with his new "SWG" fan's game announcements or is he just THAT ignorant / arrogant?

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I honestly would rate those three companies my favourite.  (As for MMOs).  SOE brought us Planetside, which was my favourite game for years, and years.

EA takes the cake for me.  I will never buy an EA product again, ever.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

What a jaded list.  

Cryptic was working with EA to make a real marvel mmo, EA screwed them over and they tried to make something of the work they they'd already done and made CO.  

NCsoft is the only other company to ever achieve the near level of success that blizzard has, and the only one to ever take a chance doing something other than WoW styled mmo's.  tabula rasa and AA were failing right out the gate, and you ignore what actually happened with those games in favor of a revised version of history.  

Its time to get over SWG, seriously, it's beyond pathetic at this point.  

You didn't even put EA in the you list, which really just boiled down to regurgitating the same tired tripe people have been spewing for years now.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Burntvet

So who cares.

Meh, I don't know about that. Are there even any SWG vets still living? I seriously doubt that SOE is about to cater to a 5-digit audience. I think that the SWG crowd believed that the whole "spiritual successor" quote meant something a little closer to the original than what it turned out to be. That was probably a poor choice by Smed, though. Personally, I would have at least expected a sci-fi game. 

As for SWTOR, I'm not sure what the definition of boondoggle is, but if the definition is making $200 million annually, then yeah, it's bookdoggling the hell out of it. I don't think it's EA's space, but SWTOR has consistently generated good returns since it was released. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

/edit

/edit2

Ignorant is bliss? A few months? No need to lie? Well this is the second lie I caught you in so stay cool I guess.

A few months?  They acquired Dice in 2006!!  They acquired BW in 2007!!  A few months hmm.  

So who is being ignorant and lying here??  Sure isn't me.  

Yep, just keep ignoring the other studio's that are also gone....

Has the quality of games from Dice and BW gone up or gone down since they are acquired?

thought so.

Keeping a brand name, doesn't mean the studio is still there, ow btw Mythic anyone?

Keep nitpicking my post and ignore my main point, that is how you do it.

He seems to think that because he sees dice and bioware that it means that the same company that made the games prior to EA are the same ones who made them after.  

Wonder why all the guys that created bioware left soon after EA acquired them.  

BF after EA has been horrible, how is it that the games get worse instead of better after EA gets the studio?  

Or maybe this guy didn't hear about the EA exec that pitched the idea of selling ammo in BF?   Not even as a what if, but a serious belief that that was the future of monetizing games.  

Yah, not liking EA is just about being cool and has nothing to do with them being a genuinely shitty company.  

BTW, my simcity game still doesn't frigging work properly, let alone do what it was advertised to when I purchased it, what, nearly 2 years ago?  

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Shaigh

Yeah, but just remember, this is one person's opinion based on their experience. I don't think it was really meant to be a research project. That's why it's in a discussion thread and not a published article. We can all weigh in with our own experiences whether they are in line with the OP's or not.

It may just be opinion, but most of it comes from forum history not real history.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DMKano

I don't see how you could say that about SOE - I mean they are giving SWG fans what they've been waiting for after all these years

A zombie survival game!

Yay..........

Umm. yeah.

Especially when EQN:L, excuse me L is a sandbox with adventure, danger, and pvp in a fully destructible world. It's amazing.  You can make you own mmorpg for only $60!

(none of this stuff is actually in game, and wont be in the game anytime soon. That's if we decided to do it at all sukas!. Smed)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"