Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: TESO - The Post-E3 Rumor Mill

13»

Comments

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Of course this will go f2p at some point; we are only speculating on a time line.  

Can't really judge it based on games like TOR or AOC, etc...

They were titles operated by companies under outside investment, their F2P transitions were based on upping profits to pay back those investments. This is a private company that answers to no one but themselves. IF their income meets their demand they have no reason to change their business plan, it's the same situation as FFXIV:ARR.

Private companies still have investors to answer to. Instead of stockholders, it's a handful of wealthy people and/or investment funds. And in either case, the investors want to make their money back and then some. They will not settle for a weak rate of return when they can experiment with proven ways to generate more cash (i.e., a F2P conversion).

What's more, investors probably see MMOs (that are not WoW) as a 5 year window to make money, with the first two or three containing the greatest potential. As such, going F2P should happen before the end of the second year.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh
    Of course this will go f2p at some point; we are only speculating on a time line.  

They were titles operated by companies under outside investment, their F2P transitions were based on upping profits to pay back those investments. This is a private company that answers to no one but themselves. IF their income meets their demand they have no reason to change their business plan, it's the same situation as FFXIV:ARR.

Private companies still have investors to answer to. Instead of stockholders, it's a handful of wealthy people and/or investment funds. And in either case, the investors want to make their money back and then some. They will not settle for a weak rate of return when they can experiment with proven ways to generate more cash (i.e., a F2P conversion).

What's more, investors probably see MMOs (that are not WoW) as a 5 year window to make money, with the first two or three containing the greatest potential. As such, going F2P should happen before the end of the second year.

This^

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337
    The game is so bad even if it was free they would be over charging. It barely even deserves to be called an MMO. Biggest flop of 2014 with Wildstar as the runner up. Let's hope 2015 is less disappointing. 

That's pretty much how I feel...Thought the game looked great...There was a couple features I liked...But by and large I was tremendously disappointed...F2P would not change my mind unless they made some major changes...

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

The day of the Subscription-Based WoW-Clone (or even the WoW-AnythingEvenCloselyResemblingIt) is over. 

TESO may have been a heap of garbage, but Wildstar is as good of a game as you can make with that style and already the servers are dying. The vocal minority are the ones who still have an interest in that style of game and even they're running out of patience fast.

It's time for the genre to try something new... because, mark my words, any AAA Theme Park MMO that gets released from here on in is going to bomb. Hard. You can quote me on it. I mean, look at Rift/Trion... it is a Theme Park MMO that's every bit as good as WoW, with as generous of a F2P system as you can possibly make, and they're dying too.

That's right: you can't even GIVE away this style of game, let alone charge for it.

Developers really need to take heed and radically alter the course of any developments going on now that follow this model. 

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by greatskys
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

Oh look, more doom and gloom. Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!!!

Save the subbed MMOs from the F2P graveyard, the leeches have enough to play atm with Nevermind (winter) and Tortanic.

And soon they can play Minecraft 2: EQN.

Go F2P - send more players back to WoW, good strategy!

Had to laugh when I saw this post . What on earth makes you think it would send people back to WoW ??? because they are so fixated on paying a monthly fee ??? LOL 

Even after all these years I'm still amazed at the silly things some gamers say . 

Only silly to some.

"One man's meat is another man's poison" as the saying goes.

Example? SWTOR - F2P... Insta leave, sub cancelled, not looked back.

Sorry that I no time to play with freeloaders or the other scum that jump on F2P MMO's like moths to flames.

So not all that silly, arrogant maybe, silly... no! :)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by greatskys

Oh look, more doom and gloom. Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!!!

Save the subbed MMOs from the F2P graveyard, the leeches have enough to play atm with Nevermind (winter) and Tortanic.

And soon they can play Minecraft 2: EQN.

Go F2P - send more players back to WoW, good strategy!

Had to laugh when I saw this post . What on earth makes you think it would send people back to WoW ??? because they are so fixated on paying a monthly fee ??? LOL 

Even after all these years I'm still amazed at the silly things some gamers say . 

Only silly to some.

"One man's meat is another man's poison" as the saying goes.

Example? SWTOR - F2P... Insta leave, sub cancelled, not looked back.

Sorry that I no time to play with freeloaders or the other scum that jump on F2P MMO's like moths to flames.

So not all that silly, arrogant maybe, silly... no! :)

I agree with your sentiment but I think ESO is on its way to B2P before console release...

I was hoping we would have 2 very successful sub launches this year (ESO and WS) and that it would be the eturn of the sub model in gaming ...I fear the worst now. Honestly ESO has been a failure it looks it (regardless of your like or dislike of the game itself) and I certainly see the only viable path being the B2P model- Although I dont like this nor think its a 'good' thing.

Its the sad state of gaming at the moment...

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

You keep posting this BS.  Here's the truth:

"Our project is fully funded from now until launch, which is a luxury unheard of in the gaming industry. With our corporate structure, we're very stable and can concentrate on making games instead of raising money.

How are you paying for this?

ZeniMax Media recently announced a $300 million investment from Providence Equity Partners, and of course the massive success of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 only adds to the assets that helped fund ZeniMax Online. Suffice it to say, we're covered.
    "

That's from http://www.zenimaxonline.com/faq.html... THEIR OWN FAQ PAGE.  If you check with Providence Equity Partners, you'll find they received a significant holding in SHARES.

Zenimax is VERY beholden to investors.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

You keep posting this BS.  Here's the truth:

"Our project is fully funded from now until launch, which is a luxury unheard of in the gaming industry. With our corporate structure, we're very stable and can concentrate on making games instead of raising money.

How are you paying for this?

ZeniMax Media recently announced a $300 million investment from Providence Equity Partners, and of course the massive success of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 only adds to the assets that helped fund ZeniMax Online. Suffice it to say, we're covered.
    "

That's from http://www.zenimaxonline.com/faq.html... THEIR OWN FAQ PAGE.  If you check with Providence Equity Partners, you'll find they received a significant holding in SHARES.

Zenimax is VERY beholden to investors.

Oh, my bad... I made a mistake, I'm sorry, now calm down...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I don't believe TESO will go F2P as in Free-to-Buy + Cash Shop. Such a move could damage sales of future Elder Scrolls titles; devalue the brand.  I believe the same can be said about Final Fantasy - so they invested money and fixed FFXIV.

And if they do switch there are no guarantees - especially if they delay the announcement as this will hurt sales. There is only so much "free" publicity. The console re-launch probably represents TES's last chance saloon.  

Pre-launch I thought they would simply stick to a subscription model once they opted for a sub model. Post-launch if TESO has under-performed (and we don't know of course) ...

It certainly should be able to switch to a B2P model; with future content delivered as paid for DLC. They could go with a premium membership option as well (Battlefield, Titanfall style etc.). Do something for PC subscribers based on what they have paid etc.

A lot could depend on when the console version launches - this year is not guaranteed as they have said. Pre-Christmas is busy lots of titles; post-Christmas sales are lower. If they have the option they will have a decision to make; they will need publicity if they plan to change course. 

• LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90

This is like sport reporters talking about LeBron James and Johnny Manziel every day of the week, it get's annoying and nobody cares anymore.   Just admit TESO failed miserably and move on with your lives. TESO won't do any better on console, you expect people that bought their next gen console for 400-500$ to pay a monthly fee on a game that most likely won't be finished still?  C'mon people, there are way better titles out there, and forgive me Lord for saying this, that are F2P. 

Bethesda are like CCP, because they "think" their PC game is the best thing ever to be released that they can simply go out of their way and release cheap spin off's that aren't any where near expectations.    Let it be a lesson of life, stick to what you do best and don't become a pile of trash like EA.      

The premature release of TESO harmed Bethesda on so many levels, because let's say 3-4 years from now they release a new Elder Scrolls, I'm not too sure that it will sale anywhere near the numbers Skyrim sold, because people will have doubts about it, thanks to TESO. 

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    if ESO going f2p... my going to real life..
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

People still love to hate this game it seems. If it sucks don't play, why contemplate for hours the reasons you don't love a game. At least respond with some accurate criticism (which some of you do, so don't get too mad)

ESO is a well made game that needs some time to reverse STUPID decisions. That is what is killing ESO. If they balance the classes (1.2 is a step in the right direction), fixed Vet levels (make only 2 campaigns to Vet10, not 3) And made PvP more rewarding to attract more players, this game would be a solid 9/10 for sure.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile