Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: TESO - The Post-E3 Rumor Mill

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by jacktors

I just reached Veteran 1, and started my second faction area.  I am having a great time playing, and I am only 1/3 done with the pve content. .  I think the game offers great story driven quests. They tie into the whole faction story line, and they are fully voiced.  I haven't even stepped foot into the pvp area, which is where I will spend most of my endgame.  I am not trying to sell the game to anyone, but from what I see, the banks areas are packed with people all the time.  I always see a bunch of people at the crafting tables, or  running around every public dungeon/cave that I enter.  To tell you the truth, I think that this game is doing just fine. 

The game is obviously not for everyone, as seen in the forums and reviews.  But for those who like the game, you will not hear much of their positive reviews, because they are busy playing the game. (I'm at work)  Also, I personally cannot stand FTP games.  I pay the monthly fees in every MMORPG, even the free ones.  I hate being blocked out of content in a game. I would just rather pay a fee, and get 100% of a game.   

I wouldn't count out The Elder Scrolls Online just yet.  We have a lot of content to look forward to in the near future. They are adding a pvp dungeon, plus Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, to name a few.  I think this game will be around as a subscription model, for a very long time. 

I don't understand why people keep resorting to "there's people everywhere" to say that the game is fine.  ESO could have a total of 1000 people playing and it would always look like "lots".  It's kind of the benefit of having only one server, it always looks full.  

The guys who were in charge of the game aren't the decision makers for zenimax, and they can say whatever they like about how "they" intend to monetize the game; ultimately it's not up to them, it's up to the people who run zenimax media.   

The game reportedly cost over 200 million to make.  Zenimax knows exactly how many subs the game needs for the subscription model to remain viable.  

I think people are being really naive if they think the pc release even came close to reaching zenimax's expectations.  

The console release is unlikely to do any better.  The millions of gamers that have played oblivion and skyrim are going to expect a game like oblivion or skyrim, and they aren't going to get it.  

It's not an if, it's a when.  Gamers weren't wrong about tabula rasa, auto assault, WAR, AoC, ToR.   The general consensus is the games not very good, and no amount of denial from the fans is going to change that.  

If they don't redevelop the game it will end up either B2P, F2P, or simply shut down.   Zenimax spent entirely to much money for the game to just linger by a thread like darkfall.  

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I just reached Veteran 1, and started my second faction area.  I am having a great time playing, and I am only 1/3 done with the pve content. .  I think the game offers great story driven quests. They tie into the whole faction story line, and they are fully voiced.  I haven't even stepped foot into the pvp area, which is where I will spend most of my endgame.  I am not trying to sell the game to anyone, but from what I see, the banks areas are packed with people all the time.  I always see a bunch of people at the crafting tables, or  running around every public dungeon/cave that I enter.  To tell you the truth, I think that this game is doing just fine. 

The game is obviously not for everyone, as seen in the forums and reviews.  But for those who like the game, you will not hear much of their positive reviews, because they are busy playing the game. (I'm at work)  Also, I personally cannot stand FTP games.  I pay the monthly fees in every MMORPG, even the free ones.  I hate being blocked out of content in a game. I would just rather pay a fee, and get 100% of a game.   

I wouldn't count out The Elder Scrolls Online just yet.  We have a lot of content to look forward to in the near future. They are adding a pvp dungeon, plus Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, to name a few.  I think this game will be around as a subscription model, for a very long time. 

I don't understand why people keep resorting to "there's people everywhere" to say that the game is fine.  ESO could have a total of 1000 people playing and it would always look like "lots".  It's kind of the benefit of having only one server, it always looks full.  

The guys who were in charge of the game aren't the decision makers for zenimax, and they can say whatever they like about how "they" intend to monetize the game; ultimately it's not up to them, it's up to the people who run zenimax media.   

The game reportedly cost over 200 million to make.  Zenimax knows exactly how many subs the game needs for the subscription model to remain viable.  

I think people are being really naive if they think the pc release even came close to reaching zenimax's expectations.  

The console release is unlikely to do any better.  The millions of gamers that have played oblivion and skyrim are going to expect a game like oblivion or skyrim, and they aren't going to get it.  

It's not an if, it's a when.  Gamers weren't wrong about tabula rasa, auto assault, WAR, AoC, ToR.   The general consensus is the games not very good, and no amount of denial from the fans is going to change that.  

If they don't redevelop the game it will end up either B2P, F2P, or simply shut down.   Zenimax spent entirely to much money for the game to just linger by a thread like darkfall.  

Your statement about having only one server is flawed.  Yes, it is only one server, but it has many instances of one server. And for the sheer size of this game, seeing so many people playing in one play area says a lot.  I stand by my statements when I say that the game is fun. But that is my play style. I loved Skyrim and Oblivion, but i was not so obtuse to believe that ESO would be the same type of game as a single player rpg. 

I am no fanboy of ESO, by far.  I had many negative things to say about some of their game decisions, right here in these forums.  But the bottom line is, I am having a good time playing the game, and I look forward to the upcoming content in the future. I could care less what anyone else thinks about the game. Just like a movie review, we all have our own opinions.  I just hope there are enough of us to keep the game as a subscription model mmo.   I can only see what is in front of my eyes, and i see a populated game in an extremely large gaming world. None of us know the actual figures, so we can only speculate based on our own biases.  But I will continue to enjoy a great game, and you will keep searching for your next great game.. Good luck. 

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Oh look, more doom and gloom. Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!!!

Save the subbed MMOs from the F2P graveyard, the leeches have enough to play atm with Nevermind (winter) and Tortanic.

And soon they can play Minecraft 2: EQN.

Go F2P - send more players back to WoW, good strategy!

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Maybe I would play TESO if there was a PM2P (pay me to play), but not entirely sure.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Your statement about having only one server is flawed.  Yes, it is only one server, but it has many instances of one server. And for the sheer size of this game, seeing so many people playing in one play area says a lot.  I stand by my statements when I say that the game is fun. But that is my play style. I loved Skyrim and Oblivion, but i was not so obtuse to believe that ESO would be the same type of game as a single player rpg. 

I am no fanboy of ESO, by far.  I had many negative things to say about some of their game decisions, right here in these forums.  But the bottom line is, I am having a good time playing the game, and I look forward to the upcoming content in the future. I could care less what anyone else thinks about the game. Just like a movie review, we all have our own opinions.  I just hope there are enough of us to keep the game as a subscription model mmo.   I can only see what is in front of my eyes, and i see a populated game in an extremely large gaming world. None of us know the actual figures, so we can only speculate based on our own biases.  But I will continue to enjoy a great game, and you will keep searching for your next great game.. Good luck. 

Here's a test for you.  

Tell us all how many instances of a zone there are other than the one you're in. 

Nor did I say anything at all about whether or not the game was fun for you, I certainly said nothing about the server in relation to your fun.  

"Fine", which is the word I used, was in reference to how much it cost zenimax media to have the game developed in relation to the number of people paying a sub.  I am entirely correct in stating that you have no way of telling if the game is fine based on the number of people you see playing.  It could be 1000, or 100,000. It will always look full because of the single server that creates instances of every zone to control population in any given area.  

Just because I've seen multiple dogs eating crap out of a litter box doesn't mean it tastes good.  

• mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

this game had a lot of potential, [mod edit]  They need someone on the team who has an idea how to make a PvP game.  All the bitching about it not being skyrim, made them focus on the PvE, which was the nail in the coffin for this game, because the only real gem was the the PvP zone that they totally neglected.

I wish I could get to manage this game, I would turn this thing into the baddest pvp siege game ever.  so sad to see something with so much potential go to crap because of idiots at the wheel.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Ehh. ESO is the best MMO I have played since vanilla WoW.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Not surprising since most people knew it was going to fail hard.  Another classic case of a developer thinking with their pockets instead of their hearts and minds.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Not surprising since most people knew it was going to fail hard.  Another classic case of a developer thinking with their pockets instead of their hearts and minds.

Not sure how taking a single-player open world RPG franchise, basing it around hardcore grinds and three way RVR,both being niche categories.. is thinking with your pocket... but okay ..you can think that.. don't let me stop ya.image

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Distopia

Not sure how taking a single-player open world RPG franchise, basing it around hardcore grinds and three way RVR,both being niche categories.. is thinking with your pocket... but okay ..you can think that.. don't let me stop ya.image

They tried to make this for the masses and failed pretty hard in doing so. That is what it means.  Has nothing to do with what you are talking about but hey keep on talking, don't let me stop ya!  :)

They tried to make this for the masses and failed pretty hard in doing so. That is what it means.  Has nothing to do with what you are talking about but hey keep on talking, don't let me stop ya!  :)

Why would they think that's what the masses want? : Both of those things are based on long term play, the masses want quick in and out sessions til they move to the next game. These guys weren't industry noobs. I'd say they were seeking a core of niche audiences.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

"Save the subbed MMOs from the F2P graveyard, the leeches have enough to play atm with Nevermind (winter) and Tortanic."

And soon we will be able to add ESO-tanic since it seems to be sinking faster than SWTOR did.

Originally posted by junzo316

"Save the subbed MMOs from the F2P graveyard, the leeches have enough to play atm with Nevermind (winter) and Tortanic."

And soon we will be able to add ESO-tanic since it seems to be sinking faster than SWTOR did.

By what indication? How in the world does one decipher it's actual player-base? All of the typical methods are moot int this case.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

By what indication? How in the world does one decipher it's actual player-base? All of the typical methods are moot int this case.

I'd have to disagree.  Just do a google search of ESO and you can see the countless articles proclaiming the doom of the game.  Even Forbes wrote an article on it.  Search the forums here and see the countless threads of people who have left the game dismayed.  The evidence is there, one just needs to take the rose-colored glasses off to see it.

• InnkwellInnkwell Member Posts: 59

I could also do a Google search on people who have seen or interacted w/ aliens, been probed, and had rectal examinations on a spaceship and a ton of  "Results" would come up....

I think the point he was making was for estimates from a reliable, PROFESSIONAL source. 

Granted that Forbes writes articles on finance, industry, investing, marketing topics, technology, communications, science, and law; they have proven time and time again to be wrong about 90% of the time when they talk about anything that does not fall under the umbrella of the above listed topics.... Including the subtle nuances of video/PC games. 

That is all.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    It's just a game, no reason to get upset. Some are going at it like Republicans vs Democrats up in here.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Retired
    It's just a game, no reason to get upset. Some are going at it like Republicans vs Democrats up in here.

thats because half these people need to go see a psych. Ive seriously never seen so many people in one area who want things to fail so miserably  besides political conventions.  Some people on this site take gaming WAY too seriously.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    This article lacks every bit of evidence for... everything. People starting "I have heard a rumor" in any MMO case are the most boring kind of all. Stop it. Give evidence, links, believable quotes or just stop talking. Useless article. This is only slightly better written as every second or third thread in any given fanforum. *sigh*
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    So someone posted alot of unsubstantiated thoughts.. why should we be interested in this, or give it anymore weight than what we ourselves believe?
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

"Does TESO provide an online experience that's familiar enough to satisfy console gamers, especially those who aren't serious about MMOGs and whose expectations for the IP have been shaped by the single-player RPGs?"

I don't think so. I'm an mmorpg player and an ES fan. I'm subbed to ESO still and I like it better than any other mmorpg out now.

My son, on the other hand is a console player and a big ES fan, but not into mmorpgs because he doesn't like grind. He was home for holidays, so I asked him if he wanted to roll up a character and try the game. He asked me if it was "one of those grindy games."

What could I say?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    So someone posted alot of unsubstantiated thoughts.. why should we be interested in this, or give it anymore weight than what we ourselves believe?

This article is nothing but the usual F2P propaganda from this guy hopping on every F2P bandwagon passing by. Unlike other authors, I never saw him post a single reply EVER, which for a "community site" would be enough reason to cancel his crap by now.

I seriously dont know why mmorpg.com still features his rubbish, which is nothing but a constant agenda against anything which is not F2P or asian grinder. His articles were at least mildly entertaining back then when he literally insulted people who weren't of the same "F2P will save the world" mindset he is.

I remember when alot of people got upset about his articles and someone from the staff said that they would look into having more articles that would likewise feature the pros of other payment methods. But for a single "top5 why P2P still rules" or something, of course nothing ever happened.

I guess the F2P lobby pays well.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

I'd have to disagree.  Just do a google search of ESO and you can see the countless articles proclaiming the doom of the game.  Even Forbes wrote an article on it.  Search the forums here and see the countless threads of people who have left the game dismayed.  The evidence is there, one just needs to take the rose-colored glasses off to see it.

Of course you can't deny the vast amount of negative feedback on ESO. On the other hand it is always wise to keep in mind that players who like a game usually remain silent and simply enjoy the game.

I see the biggest problem in Zenimax having tried to sell ESO to a broad audience. The game seems to cater to a more hardcore oriented player base. A mix of AvA-centric players aged 30+ with the patience to enjoy the long lasting story driven content.

Having achieved VR7, I still like the game and enjoy the story driven content. Also, currently there are enough players to enjoy the game at full scale. As long as Zenimax continuously delivers content, the game should do well. Even with a subscription model.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

Given the nature of the games design it should have been buy to play from the start . I suspect even though it would have had a rocky launch Zenimax could have avoided a lot of the negativity surrounding the game . 

They could still switch now and just charge for DLCS . I doubt they will though . They'll try and pull off a console launch first if that doesn't work out well then it'll go free to play sometime in 2015-2016 . 

• Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    The game is so bad even if it was free they would be over charging. It barely even deserves to be called an MMO. Biggest flop of 2014 with Wildstar as the runner up. Let's hope 2015 is less disappointing. 
  • greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

Oh look, more doom and gloom. Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!!!

Save the subbed MMOs from the F2P graveyard, the leeches have enough to play atm with Nevermind (winter) and Tortanic.

And soon they can play Minecraft 2: EQN.

Go F2P - send more players back to WoW, good strategy!

Had to laugh when I saw this post . What on earth makes you think it would send people back to WoW ??? because they are so fixated on paying a monthly fee ??? LOL 

Even after all these years I'm still amazed at the silly things some gamers say .