Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Rift in time for next gen MMOs?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Oculus Rift is ready for release for fall 2015

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/25554/20140619/oculus-rift-consumer-version-release-date.htm

Will MMOs be ready for it?
Are you going to get all the peripheral that will like come with it like devices that detect hand motion and hand game interaction?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    no, im to worried someone I respect will see me wearing all that silly stuff.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Sean you started a similar thread not long ago.  You must be selling these things.

No I will not get it and no I do not think ALL MMOs will use it.  I believe it will be a niche product that some games will use to some extent but most will not.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
      it is awesome gaming hardware but as an medic I am sure it' ll make some seriously side effect for higher percent users,not at all but you 'll seen.
  • Sircampsalot08Sircampsalot08 Member Posts: 20
    I have the OR v1 and  the main limitation with using it with MMO games is using the keyboard when using the OR headset.  That's why I don't use it with MMORPG games, just first person shooters and flight sims.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Sircampsalot08
    I have the OR v1 and  the main limitation with using it with MMO games is using the keyboard when using the OR headset.  That's why I don't use it with MMORPG games, just first person shooters and flight sims.

true and prolong single sitting use is something I think is a valid concern.

That said they are working on interactive UI that can replace the need for the keyboard and mouse which is really cool.

I think a hybrid is a good idea. For example get in the hanger, put your 'helmet' get out of the hanger take it off.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    IDK... why don't we ask Mark Zuckerberg what he plans to use OR for now that he owns it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

the guys at Oculus are extremely confident.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-virtual-reality-will-spread-like-wildfire/1100-6420623/

CEO of Take Two however is concerned but he sees Oculus as possible anti-social to kids instead of his games...which is funny

• HockeyisthegameHockeyisthegame Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-virtual-reality-will-spread-like-wildfire/1100-6420623/

CEO of Take Two however is concerned but he sees Oculus as possible anti-social to kids instead of his games...which is funny

Really?? Oculus thinks something they took millions and millions of dollars from kickstarter then turned around and padded their pockets even more by selling it to FB for a billion dollars thinks it will sell like wild fire?  What in the world do you expect them to say? Oh we just got rich!  Thanks for your donations but this thing is going to bomb!!  /facepalm 

Now in my short tenure here the only time I have ever seen this mentioned, well is when you make a post apparently duplicate post according to the other poster.  Don't you think if this was going to catch on like wild fire more then one person on a video game site would bring it up?  

As  for mmos not a chance will people use this.  People complain about those who use a game pad or controller.  Yeah I can just imagine "dude you suck at healing! " " Sorry man it was waving my hands trying to heal you but it wasn't working!  "

Like the other poster said how much you selling them for?  Get a good commission?  

Originally posted by Hockeyisthegame

Really?? Oculus thinks something they took millions and millions of dollars from kickstarter then turned around and padded their pockets even more by selling it to FB for a billion dollars thinks it will sell like wild fire?  What in the world do you expect them to say? Oh we just got rich!  Thanks for your donations but this thing is going to bomb!!  /facepalm 

Now in my short tenure here the only time I have ever seen this mentioned, well is when you make a post apparently duplicate post according to the other poster.  Don't you think if this was going to catch on like wild fire more then one person on a video game site would bring it up?  

As  for mmos not a chance will people use this.  People complain about those who use a game pad or controller.  Yeah I can just imagine "dude you suck at healing! " " Sorry man it was waving my hands trying to heal you but it wasn't working!  "

Like the other poster said how much you selling them for?  Get a good commission?  

I am sorry I dont mean to be rude but did you even read the article?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

The OR while a nice idea and possibly a fun 'tool', is not really likely to be all that popular, there are several reasons, but the primary one will be the price, not everyone will either be able to afford it, or be willing to pay that much for it if they can, to be at all popular it would have to be no more expensive than the average monitor, which is unlikely.

Using a keyboard and mouse while wearing one is also an issue, the wearer needs to be able to see the keyboard, not that many people are able to type without seeing it, and fumbling around trying to find the mouse is also going to be a bit of a pita.

game support for OR is not that widespread, and while newer games might include support for it, unless the OR does manage to achieve a significant percentage of the player bases ownership, then game developers are unlikely to be all that concerned about including comprehensive support for it, meaning that while it may work with games, it will be little more than a token gesture.

it may just be perceived as a gimmick by most players, and perhaps an expensive one at that.

It might take off, but i don't think it will really have that much of an impact on games, MMO or otherwise.image

Originally posted by Phry

The OR while a nice idea and possibly a fun 'tool', is not really likely to be all that popular, there are several reasons, but the primary one will be the price, not everyone will either be able to afford it, or be willing to pay that much for it if they can, to be at all popular it would have to be no more expensive than the average monitor, which is unlikely.

Using a keyboard and mouse while wearing one is also an issue, the wearer needs to be able to see the keyboard, not that many people are able to type without seeing it, and fumbling around trying to find the mouse is also going to be a bit of a pita.

game support for OR is not that widespread, and while newer games might include support for it, unless the OR does manage to achieve a significant percentage of the player bases ownership, then game developers are unlikely to be all that concerned about including comprehensive support for it, meaning that while it may work with games, it will be little more than a token gesture.

it may just be perceived as a gimmick by most players, and perhaps an expensive one at that.

It might take off, but i don't think it will really have that much of an impact on games, MMO or otherwise.image

I would like to make a few observations on what you said.

1. NASA is using the RIFT. There are a lot of real life applications for the RIFT not to mention gaming.

2. A meh TV costs around $400 (agree)? The Rift costs less and the experience is MUCH higher than a TV could ever dream of. Although I dont agree with Oculus that it will become as popular as smart phones I will say that the dollar for impact is higher than it is for smart phones

1. NASA is using the RIFT. There are a lot of real life applications for the RIFT not to mention gaming.

2. A meh TV costs around $400 (agree)? The Rift costs less and the experience is MUCH higher than a TV could ever dream of. Although I dont agree with Oculus that it will become as popular as smart phones I will say that the dollar for impact is higher than it is for smart phones

While a reasonably cheap HD Tv might cost that much, a decent Monitor for a PC only costs about £140, or about $200'ish, tbh i don't know the prices in America all that well, but if its significantly more than that.. it will struggle to gain a decent market share. Price point is important, and a crucial factor in achieving market share, why else do you think, would Microsoft risk selling their next gen console at a loss, its not because they are feeling generous, but because they need people to buy their console so that developers will be encouraged to develop games for it, so that games bought for it will also generate significant revenue for MS. image

While a reasonably cheap HD Tv might cost that much, a decent Monitor for a PC only costs about £140, or about $200'ish, tbh i don't know the prices in America all that well, but if its significantly more than that.. it will struggle to gain a decent market share. Price point is important, and a crucial factor in achieving market share, why else do you think, would Microsoft risk selling their next gen console at a loss, its not because they are feeling generous, but because they need people to buy their console so that developers will be encouraged to develop games for it, so that games bought for it will also generate significant revenue for MS. image

I think you are missing the point.

Oculus Rftt vs 60" TV screen. Oculus wins.

Its nearly full 360 view. Forbes did a 40 monitor setup within a Oculus enviroment.

Its nearly full 360 view. Forbes did a 40 monitor setup within a Oculus enviroment.

Except the occulus can only be used by 1 person, that Tv which btw, is not a good example, can be watched/used by many, never mind that the average monitor is better resolution than the Tv anyway. the OR is not a supplement or replacement for a Tv, BUT FOR A MONITOR, but that also gets away from the point that the issue is how much it will cost, because that will directly affect how many people will buy it, Whether the thing is better than a television set or not is largely irrelevant.image

Except the occulus can only be used by 1 person, that Tv which btw, is not a good example, can be watched/used by many, never mind that the average monitor is better resolution than the Tv anyway. the OR is not a supplement or replacement for a Tv, BUT FOR A MONITOR, but that also gets away from the point that the issue is how much it will cost, because that will directly affect how many people will buy it, Whether the thing is better than a television set or not is largely irrelevant.image

A good large 60" TV costs about 3 times as much as an Oculus does although you do have a point for families.

Well as most know i have a DK1 and I have DK2 on the way and I plan on buying the consumer edition. I think the value for my money makes its cheap as sin. I literally thought my first VR experience was going to cost around 5k to be frank.

Some people 'get' VR and some dont, for those who dont I feel sorry for them becasue for the money its a home run hit. A lot more value then my smart phone that is for sure.

Then again, I paid twice the cost of Rift for ONE monitor and I have two

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/25554/20140619/oculus-rift-consumer-version-release-date.htm

Are you going to get all the peripheral that will like come with it like devices that detect hand motion and hand game interaction?

I won't buy one at the start, but if it is a quality product it could be the end of the 3rd person view for video games in 3-5 years.  

I really don't know how well hand motion would translate into an MMORPG.   Most of the player activities require precision movement, which probably can't be found for a consumer level price. 

Originally posted by thinktank001

I won't buy one at the start, but if it is a quality product it could be the end of the 3rd person view for video games in 3-5 years.  

I really don't know how well hand motion would translate into an MMORPG.   Most of the player activities require precision movement, which probably can't be found for a consumer level price. 

well the precision of movement is something the Oculus guys are concerned about however I suggest a different view point.

If you take a look at the diversity of content in movies and books and compare it to the diversity and content of games one can clearly see that what we consider a proper game can be fit into a very small box. The very concept that talking about a game 'without combat' is considered not normal is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

In short, VR could bring an entirely different game play and experience rather than trying to fit the small peg from yesterday into the hole of tomorrow.

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    I still think your going to have to wait a generation or two to find people dumb enough to strap that on their face.

The experience is MUCH better then a tv could ever dream of hmm? Are you sure you don't need a lesson on subjective?  Now personally when I'm watching tv a movie or sporting event part of that is experiences it with other people.  If it's a movie the wife and I get a bowl of popcorn and hangout together.  If it's a sporting event I have a few friends over with beers and BBQ.  So how exactly is the oculus rift going to make that a "MUCH better experience ".  So again you sure you don't need a lesson on subjective?  

Also so you say you have both dev models and claim the picture when watching tv is amazing...yet in most of the review about watching tv or a movie they clearly state how it's not very good now but could have potential in a few years.  So let's try not to exaggerate the truths here that's not going to help you sell some units. 

The experience is MUCH better then a tv could ever dream of hmm? Are you sure you don't need a lesson on subjective?  Now personally when I'm watching tv a movie or sporting event part of that is experiences it with other people.  If it's a movie the wife and I get a bowl of popcorn and hangout together.  If it's a sporting event I have a few friends over with beers and BBQ.  So how exactly is the oculus rift going to make that a "MUCH better experience ".  So again you sure you don't need a lesson on subjective?  

Also so you say you have both dev models and claim the picture when watching tv is amazing...yet in most of the review about watching tv or a movie they clearly state how it's not very good now but could have potential in a few years.  So let's try not to exaggerate the truths here that's not going to help you sell some units. 

Speaking personally and speaking on behalf of others I know with an extensive TV/Movie viewing experience, watching TV?Movies is a solitary engagement in which other people happen to also be in the room. 

You think a movie theather is designed for social interaction?

Things that I say such as 'indie games are better than AAA' its barely subjective but it is subjective. In this its not.

How do I proove it? I cant anymore than I can proove actual sex with a beautiful woman is better than sex with an animal.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

Speaking personally and speaking on behalf of others I know with an extensive TV/Movie viewing experience, watching TV?Movies is a solitary engagement in which other people happen to also be in the room. 

Things that I say such as 'indie games are better than AAA' its barely subjective but it is subjective. In this its not.

How do I proove it? I cant anymore than I can proove actual sex with a beautiful woman is better than sex with an animal.

Ummm gonna pipe up here a movie Theater isn't meant for social interaction? How many dates have you gone on in your life? How often do you see just one person goto see a movie alone? Like 99% of people who goto movies, go with friends, dates, family, kids...yes with a REAL wife or husband! 

Even sitting in the house playing an MMO...well if you have a family or any kind of social life outside the games...you're not going to sit around wearing that redonkulous headset that shuts them off from the world.

And as a final question.....how many times have you had sex with an animal or woman that you can bring up comparing the two?

Yeppers you need a lesson in subjective that is for sure. To you indie games are better not to everyone so very subjective. To you strapping on a headset being alone watching tv or a movie is better then being with the company of others laughing together, being in suspense together, cheering together but other prefer to be around others even so yes again your views are very subjective.

Movie theaters you say? When was the last time you went to a theater? All the ones around me are installing nice comfy recliners that have middle arm bars that go up?  Why is that you ask so two people can be close while they watch a movie.  Again you enjoy being alone in that experience others enjoy being with others so yes that is very subjective.   

As  for your other immature comment based on your subjectivity towards being alone I won't comment on it.  

Yeppers you need a lesson in subjective that is for sure. To you indie games are better not to everyone so very subjective. To you strapping on a headset being alone watching tv or a movie is better then being with the company of others laughing together, being in suspense together, cheering together but other prefer to be around others even so yes again your views are very subjective.

Movie theaters you say? When was the last time you went to a theater? All the ones around me are installing nice comfy recliners that have middle arm bars that go up?  Why is that you ask so two people can be close while they watch a movie.  Again you enjoy being alone in that experience others enjoy being with others so yes that is very subjective.   

As  for your other immature comment based on your subjectivity towards being alone I won't comment on it.  

dude!

nearly EVERTHING Is 'subjective'

Is living on earth better than living in the vacum of space with nothing more than 30 mins of air? well most would say yeah but its technically subjective.

Or more exactly you are saying the difference between watching a movie on a smart phone or a $30,000 theather system in the same room is 'subjective'

Or another good example: Is running at 480[ on a 14" monitor better than 4k on a 30" monitor?...oh its subjective.

horseshit. there is a point where it starts to get asine

dude!

nearly EVERTHING Is 'subjective'

Is living on earth better than living in the vacum of space with nothing more than 30 mins of air? well most would say yeah but its technically subjective.

Or more exactly you are saying the difference between watching a movie on a smart phone or a $30,000 theather system in the same room is 'subjective'

horseshit. there is a point where it starts to get asine

Yep I believe that point came when you said

"watching movies/tv is a solitary engagement". 

Or when you said

" watching tv in the rift is a MUCH better experience then tv could ever dream of". 

Or

"Movie theaters are not for social interaction" 

Im sure there are a lot of other examples.  

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

The fact that NASA is using it proves that it's a waste of money.

The government is not known for making smart decisions... they're spending your money because it's your money.  They wouldn't be so quick to throw money around if it came out of their own pocket.