Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie Influenced the Design of the PlayStation 4

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gametrailers.com/news-post/76049/bungie-influenced-the-design-of-the-playstation-4

"They worked with us, of course, on core systems and the controller itself – making it better for shooters, helping improve that for players, helping include and improve the social aspects of the game," Osborne said regarding Bungie's influence on the PlayStation 4. "But when we lined our pillars up with what we believed we wanted Destiny to do and put them against their pillars with what they wanted the PS4 to do it was like looking into a mirror."

Comments

• HockeyisthegameHockeyisthegame Member Posts: 84

So they are trying to help it be a better multiplayer shooter like the xbox. Nothing wrong with that good for them. It's a well known thing that the xb has always been /still is a better multiplayer console thanks in part to bungie and halo, xb doesn't need help to make multiplayer shooters  great on their console they already have that taken care of.

Edit- it also looks like the days of the ps fan holding onto 1080 vs 920/720 is over.  I always thought that was a poor talking point anyways the difference while playing was practically impossible to see with the human eye.  Xb1 released the sdk update which will put it at 1080 along with the ps4.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Hockeyisthegame

I always thought that was a poor talking point anyways the difference while playing was practically impossible to see with the human eye.

Really because I was changing the resolution of Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 from 1080 to every res below that one at a time on my 42 inch 1080P TV just a moment ago and I most certainly see differences like edges getting more jagged and overall picture quality more dingy and blurry.  I did the same with other games on my PC.

This site did a comparison with pictures and gifs of multiple different games to show the differences between resolutions.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/23/1080p-vs-900p-vs-720p-screenshot-comparison-can-you-tell-the-difference/

Another example I can say is get a 1080 wallpaper and put it on a 1080 monitor and set it on Center and it will look normal, nice and clear and fills up the whole screen as it should.  Then get a 720 or anything below 1080 and center it, it will not fill up the screen and will retain the same quality as the 1080P, but if you stretch the image to fill up the screen, it will sacrifice quality and will be blurry and edges will be jagged.  The same thing applies to games with resolutions below 1080 being played on a TV that supports 1080, it will stretch the image to make it self 1920x1080 but sacrifice quality because its not native 1080.

Its great that its getting 1080P update though but it still doesnt solve the problem of having inferior hardware to the PS4.  For example

• The Xbox One GPU has 12 compute units vs. 18 on the PS4 (Think of compute units as “Cores” you hear about on CPUs).
    • The Xbox One has DDR3 RAM vs. the PS4 GDDR5 RAM. Translated, this means that the Xbox one can transfer 68 gigabytes of data per second while the PS4 can transfer 176 GB/s.
    1080P resolution is great but in the long run of the consoles life spans, its the hardware that really matters, not just for games but for things like VR Headsets, which is probably why Sony already has been developing a VR headset while MS only has articles rumoring they are developing one.

In the end I have no doubt both consoles will have great looking exclusives and I say all this as someone who has both consoles.  But im not going to deny that PS4 is overall more superior console and has more potential for the developers to work with.
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

I always thought that was a poor talking point anyways the difference while playing was practically impossible to see with the human eye.

Really because I was changing the resolution of Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 from 1080 to every res below that one at a time on my 42 inch 1080P TV just a moment ago and I most certainly see differences like edges getting more jagged and overall picture quality more dingy and blurry.  I did the same with other games on my PC.

This site did a comparison with pictures and gifs of multiple different games to show the differences between resolutions.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/23/1080p-vs-900p-vs-720p-screenshot-comparison-can-you-tell-the-difference/

Another example I can say is get a 1080 wallpaper and put it on a 1080 monitor and set it on Center and it will look normal, nice and clear and fills up the whole screen as it should.  Then get a 720 or anything below 1080 and center it, it will not fill up the screen and will retain the same quality as the 1080P, but if you stretch the image to fill up the screen, it will sacrifice quality and will be blurry and edges will be jagged.  The same thing applies to games with resolutions below 1080 being played on a TV that supports 1080, it will stretch the image to make it self 1920x1080 but sacrifice quality because its not native 1080.

Its great that its getting 1080P update though but it still doesnt solve the problem of having inferior hardware to the PS4.  For example

• The Xbox One GPU has 12 compute units vs. 18 on the PS4 (Think of compute units as “Cores” you hear about on CPUs).
    • The Xbox One has DDR3 RAM vs. the PS4 GDDR5 RAM. Translated, this means that the Xbox one can transfer 68 gigabytes of data per second while the PS4 can transfer 176 GB/s.
    1080P resolution is great but in the long run of the consoles life spans, its the hardware that really matters, not just for games but for things like VR Headsets, which is probably why Sony already has been developing a VR headset while MS only has articles rumoring they are developing one.

In the end I have no doubt both consoles will have great looking exclusives and I say all this as someone who has both consoles.  But im not going to deny that PS4 is overall more superior console and has more potential for the developers to work with.

Well I'm new here and I try not getting into a discussion with someone who clearly has a bias opinion like yourself (A long history you have of pushing anything ps you have) but here is my reply to your post...

Your link was gifs?  Do you play your video games frame by frame?  Do you pause the games side by side pull out a microscope to try and see the edges?  If you play a video game like a normal person you don't see the difference on your couch from 15 feet away!  Ps fans will need to find a new experiment to justify their purchase as the SDK now helps the xb1 get 1080 so your little gif comparison will be even more worthless then they are now.  

Also want to compare my PC specs with your ps4 and xb1 (you apparently have)?  If I care about graphics I play my PC.  Yeah good luck with your VR that is nothing more than a little fad not something most people are really excited for.  Plus it's years out well the ps version is the rift may be out sooner.  

Well I'm new here and I try not getting into a discussion with someone who clearly has a bias opinion like yourself (A long history you have of pushing anything ps you have) but here is my reply to your post...

Your link was gifs?  Do you play your video games frame by frame?  Do you pause the games side by side pull out a microscope to try and see the edges?  If you play a video game like a normal person you don't see the difference on your couch from 15 feet away!  Ps fans will need to find a new experiment to justify their purchase as the SDK now helps the xb1 get 1080 so your little gif comparison will be even more worthless then they are now.  

Also want to compare my PC specs with your ps4 and xb1 (you apparently have)?  If I care about graphics I play my PC.  Yeah good luck with your VR that is nothing more than a little fad not something most people are really excited for.  Plus it's years out well the ps version is the rift may be out sooner.  

I actually made a valid argument.  I gave you links, I gave you examples to get my meaning across.  I even told you I been scaling down the resolutions on the games on my PC just to see for my self if its noticeable on my 1080P TV, hell you can do that for your self and see and anyone on this website can do that with their games on a 1080P monitor or TV and see for them selves.  Here is my PC specs just in case you were wondering:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660  
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 660
    Display Memory: 4037 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
    Monitor Model: LG TV
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Hell I even told you I own both consoles because I do love games on both consoles.  I love Halo and Gears of War for example on xbox. 

Your going to say VR isnt something most gamers arent is excited for?  If thats true why is there so much talk of the Oculus Rift on this website and pretty much any gaming website?  Hell even Jimmy Fellon presented Project Morpheus on his show.  If most people werent excited for VR than why would a large company like Facebook buy the Oculus Rift?

But just because I enjoy games on both consoles doesnt mean Im gonna sit here and deny the facts about resolutions and the consoles hardware.  You can call me biased or whatever it doesnt matter because nothing I said was a lie.  The real fanboy here is you, who is clearly getting angry and the only thing you could resort to is throwing out words like bias.  If telling the truth means im biased than so be it.

Its like telling someone hes biased if he comes here and said a keyboard and mouse is more accurate than gamepad in FPS games.

The funny thing is you said this my opinion, but what part was opinion?  I gave you some system specs of the consoles, are those opinion? How is it opinion when there are clearly jagged edges when you scale down a games from 1080P to 720P? 

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Regardless of what console you like or whatever, it doesn't take a microscope to see the difference between 720p and 1080p. I was fairly certain this argument was only made by moms to their kids as they tried to dissuade them from wanting a new console. It doesn't deserve further discussion, the difference is obvious. I can also tell the difference between your 1080p and my 1440p. Resolution is hands down the most important factor to improving the look of a game.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Edit- it also looks like the days of the ps fan holding onto 1080 vs 920/720 is over.  I always thought that was a poor talking point anyways the difference while playing was practically impossible to see with the human eye.  Xb1 released the sdk update which will put it at 1080 along with the ps4.

But if that is the case then why update it?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Hokie

Because xbone fans will make any excuse to say they are not less than the ps4.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Originally posted by strawhat0981

Well I see the Sony ponies have infested another game site with their insecurities. 

Why  would they do an update?  Really that's your response?  Yeah why continue to improve something right?  I guess coming from Sony ponies your ps4 is a perfect piece of machinery right?  The greatest thing ever created by man right?  They will never ever have to do an update for the Sony ponies right?

Like you have never updated your PC?  It's always enjoyable watching these Sony ponies try to justify their purchase.  

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/xbox-720/thumb/c/c8/Ghosts-X1vPS4-2.gif/228px-Ghosts-X1vPS4-2.gif

Wow the difference in that gif is so...not going to make a person pick one over the other...my point!  Keep it real Sony ponies! 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Well I see the Sony ponies have infested another game site with their insecurities. 

I guess you are a xbone "pony" since you are getting so mad.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I bought the ps4 over the xb1 because it was more powerful, it will have better and more diverse game library, the controller with mouse is slick, and it was $100 less. Compare to pc , a single graphics card costs more than the entire system. Pc has a massive library, but I like new and Ps4 will bring it, heck I'm actually having fun playing indie titles now too. Trine 2 - that game is amazing and it's probably going to have an influence in the gaming world on all platforms.

Sony ponies

Good Job you win the thread, have a cookie

Anyway, this thread was about bungie being part of the design influence for the PS4, I didnt say anything about MS or Xbox.  But that didnt stop you from coming and trying to hijack the thread and making it about xbox then turning it into a console war.  Yet im the biased fanboy...

Feel free to make threads about xbox news.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by Crusades
    I bought the ps4 over the xb1 because it was more powerful, it will have better and more diverse game library, the controller with mouse is slick, and it was $100 less. Compare to pc , a single graphics card costs more than the entire system. Pc has a massive library, but I like new and Ps4 will bring it, heck I'm actually having fun playing indie titles now too. Trine 2 - that game is amazing and it's probably going to have an influence in the gaming world on all platforms.

I'm planning on getting a PS4 eventually as well.  I just got a Wii U since they are finally getting a decent library going on the system (Mario Kart 8, Windwaker HD, etc) and have some fun games coming out later this year.  The fact is that as much as I like playing on PC, the consoles get a free pass when it comes to DRM systems and they have some titles that just feel natural to play on them. 

Originally posted by Crusades

Well not sure about the more diverse library...that point has been proven false over and over.  But the Sony ponies continue to go with it...here is a little light reading before bed for you...

http://twthereddragon.com/sony-expect-fewer-aaa-games-?-new-features-?-ps4-news-review/

more light reading about indie games...

http://m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/limbo-devs-new-inside-leads-dozens-indies-coming-xbox-one/

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Sony ponies

Good Job you win the thread, have a cookie

Anyway, this thread was about bungie being part of the design influence for the PS4, I didnt say anything about MS or Xbox.  But that didnt stop you from coming and trying to hijack the thread and making it about xbox then turning it into a console war.  Yet im the biased fanboy...

Feel free to make threads about xbox news.

When I buy one with the halo master chief combo I most certainly will until then I will post where I see fit...thanks though. 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

So they are trying to help it be a better multiplayer shooter like the xbox. Nothing wrong with that good for them. It's a well known thing that the xb has always been /still is a better multiplayer console thanks in part to bungie and halo, xb doesn't need help to make multiplayer shooters  great on their console they already have that taken care of.

It's odd, I used to own both a PS3 and XB360, and I sold the 360 'cause I felt I was then paying a subscription for what ended up being basically the same thing. Only really kept it around 'til Gears of War 3 anyway to see how that all turned out.

I've never talked to anyone in person that owned a 360 talk about the better multiplayer, just better games to them.

EDIT: Not meant to be a PS3 is better post. Xbox systems are quality. I just don't agree with them having the better multiplayer/online console.