Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you guys miss playing the same MMO for years straight?

penthepenthe Member Posts: 25
I remember when I played WoW for many years straight, feeling like every minute spent in game is an investment. Now I play many different MMos and my characters dont feel like mine, it doesnt feel like home. I cant play games for many years straight anymore I get bored after a few months, am I getting older or just the genre has changed ?

Comments

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

everything gets old eventually.. even genres.

and now there's so many shiny new titles coming from every corner of the world it's hard to focus on just the 1 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

and now there's so many shiny new titles coming from every corner of the world it's hard to focus on just the 1 

No thats not true.

i would still be content with playing 1 title. It's just that everything released is utter bullshit and not intresting to play for very long.

i would love to have a game wich would take me a year to get to cap for instance.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by xeniar
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

No thats not true.

i would still be content with playing 1 title. It's just that everything released is utter bullshit and not intresting to play for very long.

i would love to have a game wich would take me a year to get to cap for instance.

for most it is.. there's still games out there though that can keep people interested for years it's just a matter of taste.

i've been playing Swtor since 2011 for example

if a game would take you a year to reach cap i would imagine it would have very little to do once you hit cap

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

I've never played a game for years and I don't quite understand how people can.  My longest run was probably wow and I played 4 months in vanilla and about another 4 in TBC.  

SWTOR I have played very casually for a couple of years, but with long gaps between periods of play.    

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

i played Asheron's Call for years, was my first mmo. and then VG from release until a year or so ago. if you find a game that you like, why look elsewhere? you can get attached to your characters and the longer you play a decent game the more you get into the mood of it.

just hope that esol will take over from VG in keeping me interested for the next year or two as it might well be my last game. tried rift, nw, gw2 but the interest didnt last a year although did enjoy the games at first.

i think these days there is so much mass produced pap out there that people are getting a bit disalusioned with the same old stuff. when we see something that looks shiny and new and has a couple of new bells and whistles on it, we are tempted to try it in the hope that it will finaly give us something to spend our time and money on for more than a month or three

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    The games I have spent the most amount of time in are Everquest, Everquest 2,FFXI,City of Heroes/Villains,SWTOR  and WoW. I do miss playing with the same people like I did in Everquest. I miss the people most of all not so much the game but the people I associate the game with that is what I miss most of all and I think that is also the reason I no longer play any game very long.
    Chamber of Chains
  • When most MMOs that have come out in the last many years have played so much like that one game you played to death for many years, it's no wonder you can't play them for long without getting bored.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I have never been interested in mmos more than a month or two but I can see that the old mmo games were more interesting and felt like great places to be in,unfortunately WOW made mmo copies of the game the crap we see now cause all the devs see is$ sighns instead of making games people would spend a long time in.
  • lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I feel you OP. I played RO for 3 years, then WoW for 2 years, good ol' times. After the Cataclysm, I hop around the new mmos. The longest I can stay was Aion and GW2, around 6 months each. As for the rest, ranging from 2-5 months. I never leave a game after a month, except if it's utter typical F2P craps which I uninstalled in 15 minutes.

• Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by Axxar When most MMOs that have come out in the last many years have played so much like that one game you played to death for many years, it's no wonder you can't play them for long without getting bored.
    Except that the new ones are a lot crappier versions compared to the originals.

UO, EQ1, DAoC, AC, SWG - all generation 1 games - and IMO - all of them are still some of the best MMORPGs I've ever played.

Wildstar - compare to EQ1 - absolute crap (my opinion). Anyone who has watched Idiocracy - Wildstar is an "idiocracied" version of EQ1 - it's loud, has lots of bright flashing colors, has language that matches (I am surprised that they didn't use the word "Scro" in wildstar). 

ESO - compare to DAoC - absolute crap (my opinion) - a MMO so heavily phased where you can't interact with your own group members.

AC - nothing to campare it to

SWG - nothing to compare it to (please don't even THINK H1Z1 - what an insult)

The new games are watered down pale shadows of their predecessors.

Yeah, it doesn't help when newer "versions" of the same game are lower quality as well.
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Problem is with those new themeparks the "Endgame is the game" attitude came. Also the "It's a game, not a world" stuff. I remember my years in Anarchy Online, descenfding to Rubi-Ka, being shot down by aliens. You did missions to do what you do, not to have something to do. Got an old-school drive atm and playing Ryzom. Total freedom, crafting your own stuff, interacting with others and passing by players even give you a short wave-emote, to greet you. Real Sandbox with optional PvP. New games seem to be targeted at people who play a game to the end, then throw it away to start the next game... Back then we were many (P&P-)RPGers, now most are just gamers...

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Of course i miss it but those days are gone.  You truly can never go home again.
  • TherealshurTherealshur Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Alders
    Of course i miss it but those days are gone.  You truly can never go home again.

This

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

This post could have used a Poll.

Yes I miss playing a single MMO for years. Why isn't this happening any more? Because the relationships are simply not present. Game mechanics of late do not foster relationship-building.

I suspect a correlation. Quest hub games make their money in volume and churn, provided they invest heavily in marketing. Non-quest hub games make their money in customer retention, provided there is sufficient content and slow leveling.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Yes.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i dont miss playing the same mmo for years. However, i would love to play Age of Wushu for a very long time and be invested in it. But that will not happen thanks to snail games and their horrendous F2P management.

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128

I agree.

The reason, I believe, is that today's games are designed more for fast consumption. Things like lore, the game world, community are not as central as they used to be and these are what gave the games of the past the longevity. It wasn't killing thousands of Orcs or picking dung or something, it was the world and the community.

WoW had a very strong lore component and communities tightly knit around it. The ideas of comradery, adventure, overcoming tough challenges with the help of friends established living and breathing worlds with communities. You'd feel you belonged to a world and to a community. 

It unraveled once Blizzard started to dumb down the game for the sake of what they called "accessibility". And the other developers (most, if not all) followed the footprints of the MMORPG behemoth.

When you do not get that feeling of  "belonging to a living and breathing world", there is no longevity. You get bored of what is basically more of the same quickly and move on.

The only game, among the ones I have played, that I know that still has that "belonging to a world" feeling is EVE which is a very unique game. It is a great game if you can get into it, but it certainly is not for everyone. I might add Lord of the Rings Online due to its' lore.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

My theory is that we kept playing the same MMO for years, because we didn't fully understand the limitations of the design until we were done with it and had time to reflect on the experience.

Once you learn the limitations of a computer game, and especially a themepark gear treadmill design - you will lose interest in spending all your free time with it.

Problem with modern MMOs is that they're not bold and visionary enough - and, at the same time, the players don't understand their own psychology well enough, so they won't even allow a new approach to MMO design, because it will be compared to the "old home" - based on nostalgia more than anything else.

So, if we're ever going to find a new MMO home, and I truly doubt we will, it'll take a very bold vision and a very talented development team with a ton of resources.

That sort of thing doesn't happen very often - and the investment is prohibitive to many publishers.

I suppose it'll happen eventually, but I don't see myself falling in love for the first time ever again.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No. I am glad i have many games to play now. That is less boring to me.

I am glad the days of one-MMO is over (for me at least).

Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by Multibyte

When you do not get that feeling of  "belonging to a living and breathing world", there is no longevity. You get bored of what is basically more of the same quickly and move on.

The big question is why game dev's are not clue-ing into this phenomenon, but keep marching off the cliff like a bunch of lemmings.  Is it the marketing suits that drive the kind of failed linear designs and just don't get it?

Because it is more than for many players to play a series of games, than "living" in a world?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    The question assumes that no one is playing these mmos for years. Log into any one of them and you'll find out pretty quick how wrong that assumption is.
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Multibyte

The big question is why game dev's are not clue-ing into this phenomenon, but keep marching off the cliff like a bunch of lemmings.  Is it the marketing suits that drive the kind of failed linear designs and just don't get it?

Because it is more than for many players to play a series of games, than "living" in a world?

I'm done with game-hopping and forking out $60 for a faux-mmorpg that drops in subs after three months because of crappy linear design..  My gaming needs demand a long-term viable semi-social (or better) game with a LIVING BREATHING WORLD.

The flash-in-a-pan stuff might work for some, but not for me.

Holding out for EQ Next or its counterparts, and I'm guessing I'm not alone.  Probably one of a very large crowd.

doubt it ...

LoL, WoT, D3, CoD and many others have no worlds, and are more popular than true persistent world MMO (heck the biggest one is Eve, and it is tiny compared to these games). It suggest to me that players like games more than worlds.

You got one thing right .. you are not alone. There are probably a few hundreds here who have the same preference .. but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the sizes of real popular games out there.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

I've never played a game for years and I don't quite understand how people can.  My longest run was probably wow and I played 4 months in vanilla and about another 4 in TBC.  

SWTOR I have played very casually for a couple of years, but with long gaps between periods of play.    

Same here - longest I've played a game is maybe 7 months, and it was only that long because it was the first time I was a guild leader, which took time to learn how to do, as well as time to run around helping lower-level members, and the game also had some elaborate crafting mechanics and distracting holiday events I spent hours dicking around with.  I don't really understand how someone could play an MMO for a year unless they play really differently from the way I do.  I guess if you could somehow combine all the good parts from several currently existing MMOs you could get one that had enough entertainment value to last a year, but IP laws and market forces wouldn't actually allow that to happen.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I can barely stomach themeparks at all anymore and that's pretty much all there is.  
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by penthe
    I remember when I played WoW for many years straight, feeling like every minute spent in game is an investment. Now I play many different MMos and my characters dont feel like mine, it doesnt feel like home. I cant play games for many years straight anymore I get bored after a few months, am I getting older or just the genre has changed ?

nope i still plau GW2 since it's release and i enjoy it ... but i am casual guy, i dont visit it everyday and to be true now i wait for 2nd of july to see the new changes ... the living story part, last year, kept me in PvE, and it's PvP although it's limited is enjoyable.

also the artstyle aesthetics of the game. makes me to never getting bored of it, having full 3 folders of screenshots (everytime you hit 999 screenshots you have to move them in order to able to take more.. ) this game is one of the best MMORPGs in visual terms, so far ...