Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I am so tired of questing

Comments

• MacShwangusMacShwangus Browntown, AKPosts: 32Member
    Originally posted by Gaeluian
    Here's a novel idea, don't quest! simple. Don't accept any quests. See how easy that is? I doubt you'd be happy with any MMO.

Rofl these people say don't quest if you don't like them. But they mention no good alternative for leveling. Because there isn't one. They truly take the retard cake.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,317Member Uncommon
    When I get tired of questing I do something else. When I get tired of grinding mobs I d do something else. When i get tired of pvp I do something else. When I get tired of dungeons I do something else. Crafting. ..

There is loads to do. Get the picture.

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,467Member Uncommon

You know when questing looks real bad?When you calculate how many hundreds,thousands of hours you spent doing nothing but running back n forth to npc markers or running around looking for a new yellow marker over an npc head.

As for seamless zones,no that is not really a plus there are good qualities to zones although i would admit they are sort of a fake world but they do make up for other lacking ideas like being able to climb a hill to avoid a fight.Or how about seamless games but the creatures give up chasing you after a very short while.

I know this much,you can never organized grouped questing,that is why it is always solo activities.However when forming old school groups and camping mobs,you are forever in battles and not chasing yellow markers.You are chatting and having fun playing your player,not running around wondering where that next quest is.Oh yes and group camping,the choice is YOURS where and when,questing is a connect the dots type of gaming and you have almost NO choice in the matter.usually quests don't even open up until you did the laid out path before hand.

In group camping,yellow markers don't tell me when and where i can play,instead i can fight any creature in the game if i want,yes i might die but the choice is still mine.

Samoan Diamond

• BoltharBolthar Winter Springs, FLPosts: 62Member

IMHO While questing is boring and as other say don't do it do something else, I do see an underlying problem with questing.

All MMOs these days use questing as a crutch!

Why not do this -

Reintroduce things like Factions into games - Think of Everquest prior to Luclin (maybe even after that but that's when I left). With this however you then can get quests ONLY if your within a specific faction range. This then adds a totally second dynamic to questing in fact it would be neat if the quest giver is one faction quest turn in is a second faction and you have to work on both to get it turned in.

Also make it so when you finish a quest it also makes other quests open up based on the actions of the first quest. E.G. If you are asked to do a quest you can decline it and get a lower quest or do it and get a middle quest or do it within a time frame and get a higher tiered quest as a reward.

This way not EVERYONE is on the same quest path at any given time and you have many different routes to take when questing. this dynamics would greatly make things a lot better.

I also think they should turn a lot more quests into MAJOR quests like they did (sorry again to use another EQ reference) where it was an EPIC quest line. I love it when you have a whole new side story line. Things like this are what make questing fun.

Questing to get 6 pelts from rats and turn them in isn't very fun.

• ArskaaaArskaaa KauhajokiPosts: 842Member Uncommon
    i also like kill more then do quest. quests todays are just boring; go to A, click there, go to B,click there... and u cant even move fast becouse u get mounth higher level or need a lot money.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Suwannee, GAPosts: 527Member
    If we are not rewarded with a new chest piece every other quest then what would be the point of playing?

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Bolthar

IMHO While questing is boring and as other say don't do it do something else, I do see an underlying problem with questing.

All MMOs these days use questing as a crutch!

Why not do this -

Reintroduce things like Factions into games - Think of Everquest prior to Luclin (maybe even after that but that's when I left). With this however you then can get quests ONLY if your within a specific faction range. This then adds a totally second dynamic to questing in fact it would be neat if the quest giver is one faction quest turn in is a second faction and you have to work on both to get it turned in.

Also make it so when you finish a quest it also makes other quests open up based on the actions of the first quest. E.G. If you are asked to do a quest you can decline it and get a lower quest or do it and get a middle quest or do it within a time frame and get a higher tiered quest as a reward.

This way not EVERYONE is on the same quest path at any given time and you have many different routes to take when questing. this dynamics would greatly make things a lot better.

I also think they should turn a lot more quests into MAJOR quests like they did (sorry again to use another EQ reference) where it was an EPIC quest line. I love it when you have a whole new side story line. Things like this are what make questing fun.

Questing to get 6 pelts from rats and turn them in isn't very fun.

Too complex and not enough free choices.

It is simpler to just choose from a option menu of where to kill and what to kill, and the reward is listed right next to your option.

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,763Member Uncommon

There were 3 MMOs that ruined my desire to ever quest (not Everquest lol) again.......

1) WoW

2) EQ2

3) LoTRO

After playing thsoe 3 for a little over a year each, I never wanted to quest again in a MMO......After a few years away fro the heavy questing MMOs, I can now handle them in very small doses but it is still not my preferred way of playing.

• BoltharBolthar Winter Springs, FLPosts: 62Member
    IMHO mine has many free choices because you can choose or not choose any one and even decide based on faction. Sure its complex but that's what makes it interesting and NOT cookie cutter. Anyone who wants a quest to simply be a click and kill should do the "I'm not going to quest and just grind the exp" thing because in my opinion that's what makes questing in modern MMOs so mind numbingly boring.
  • tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

What I'd also like to see in this virtually quest-free world:

1.) Items sold to a vendor should end up being in his shop inventory, probably to limit, let's say 5. Once a day or two, this inventory should be reset. Apart from crafting and item drops, these vendors should be the main source of leveling gear. I find it exciting to visit a village just to see what gear players have sold a particular vendor that I may be able to use.

2.) Because of the point above, I think there should not be an auction house. Probably. Maybe.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix GSPosts: 836Member Uncommon

Questing become bad when you have to do quests (as fastest ways) to level up and you need search certain level to do other contents.

Basically it not you tired of questing but tired of leveling to search the "goal" level.

lately i start to grow hate about have to leveling to be able to play with my friends who have more time to play than me.

Only few levels difference and unable to play the same contents as other in multiplayers game , it make me feel bad in many ways.

• daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,145Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tuppe99

All I want is a AAA quality MMO with large, seamless zones with all that we expect from a zone - villages with inns, vendors, crafting stations, NPCs that walk and talk and work.

Guess much better AI would be required that is currently possible.

But I don't want a quest hub. All I would like to see is a vendor or two that sell stuff for whatever resource is found in this zone, be it a currency dropped by the mobs or obtained with gathering professions. Some NPCs may even offer gold for a number of items handed in, for example 50 silver for 20 pelts that can be farmed from the wolves in this zone. Etc, etc.

So instead of fun questing you would just mindlessly wander around and kill stuff, gather, ...? Maybe for you but that is NOT fun as I understand it. For me questing is ESSENCE of gaming.

There may be a story arc in each zone, told via dungeons or instances, I don't care. But the zone itself in the open world should be virtually quest-free.

I suspect that I am in a vast minority here, but I can dream....

Not sure how many would love that .... but for sure not me. And we can all only dream about things that are not profitable. If you would own company and had money ... would you invest in something that only maybe few thousands people would play? Guess not.

• free2playfree2play Toronto, ONPosts: 1,869Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Theocritus

There were 3 MMOs that ruined my desire to ever quest (not Everquest lol) again.......

1) WoW

2) EQ2

3) LoTRO

After playing thsoe 3 for a little over a year each, I never wanted to quest again in a MMO......After a few years away fro the heavy questing MMOs, I can now handle them in very small doses but it is still not my preferred way of playing.

I stick up for LotRO all the time but I never even tried to defend to Quest grind. It is a bit better now but you need a lot of variables at play. There are exper buffs loots and store items that double exper, add those to a blue bar from V.I.P. and destiny point buff, add in a double exper weekend and you can mob grind levels now.

I don't see a problem with building an MMO around Quests and Quest hubs but they should all come with some item that disables quest exper and in so doing they balance off mob exper to match quests. It just seems like options are some evil taboo in Online games. One or the other. No variables.

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    When I get tired of questing I do something else. When I get tired of grinding mobs I d do something else. When i get tired of pvp I do something else. When I get tired of dungeons I do something else. Crafting. ..

There is loads to do. Get the picture.

There's a lot of mmorpg's where grinding mobs is not a viable alternative to questing.  For instance, DCUO, the experience for killing enemies is miniscule.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Posts: 1,180Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tuppe99

All I want is a AAA quality MMO with large, seamless zones with all that we expect from a zone - villages with inns, vendors, crafting stations, NPCs that walk and talk and work.

But I don't want a quest hub. All I would like to see is a vendor or two that sell stuff for whatever resource is found in this zone, be it a currency dropped by the mobs or obtained with gathering professions. Some NPCs may even offer gold for a number of items handed in, for example 50 silver for 20 pelts that can be farmed from the wolves in this zone. Etc, etc.

There may be a story arc in each zone, told via dungeons or instances, I don't care. But the zone itself in the open world should be virtually quest-free.

I suspect that I am in a vast minority here, but I can dream....

Im with you, i would rather grind mobs at this point than ever do another kill task or fetch rat tails again. quest hubs must go, when i log into a game if i see a NPC with ! or ? above his head i just uninstall right then and there.

I think there should still be some kind of quest but they should be actual quest like somthing bad ass that you and your friends set off to do. and they should be somthing you have to figure out maybe from NPC rumors or from asking other players. not just click npc follow line to the X kill mobs till done BS.

• FoobarxFoobarx Poway, CAPosts: 451Member
    I'm so tired of the end-game grind fest.  I'd rather collect 150 billion rats than kill the same boss fifty billion times for an epic cloak.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Lancaster, UKPosts: 2,141Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gaeluian
    Here's a novel idea, don't quest! simple. Don't accept any quests. See how easy that is? I doubt you'd be happy with any MMO.

That would be ideal if mob, pvp or dungeon grind offered the same xp as quests. They don't so you are forced to quest. The best solution would be to remove levels and end game and allow players to do what they want from the beginning. If you want to Raid from the start, go for it make everything with a difficulty that is scalable with the players or groups. Instead of a 'gear score' have a 'skill score'. Scale up (or down) groups so everyone is even.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Posts: 1,180Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foobarx
    I'm so tired of the end-game grind fest.  I'd rather collect 150 billion rats than kill the same boss fifty billion times for an epic cloak.

very true, that is why i loved asherons call loot system so much.

was totally random and you got the best loot off mobs. or from chest. keys collected off mobs or doing quest.

plus all loot could be used for crafting, so even junk loot could be worth somthing.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILPosts: 1,559Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

Just a question , if you tired of questing , what kind of things you want to play in MMORPGs ?

I mean , what you will do and want to do when you login if not questing ?

Simulation, survival, true crafting where you design the outfit / tool,  and genetic breeding.  Basically a good looking version of Minecraft and Sims in a fantasy (elves dwarves dragons drow) setting.  WITH NO OPEN PVP !  At least not on my server.  Tho I would like constructive PvP via a story line quest system (playing cops and robbers, pirates and buccaneers, vampires vs humans).  And all 100% modable.  Note story quest line isn't the same as "quests."  Exploration thru portals to other worlds/dimensions where you visit other possibilities - a western area, outspace, alien planet, pokemon-like world with millions of little animals you could collect to fight with you, a vampire diseased area, martians on the moon, a wizard's realm, dinosaur valley, Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, etc etc etc.  I am pro zones but there better be something new I've never seen before when I cross one!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Foobarx

They need random dungeons, and an option menu of where and what to kill.

Sort of like D3 or Marvel Heroes. End-game is always grind .. the trick is to make grinding fun (by giving choices and variation of what to grind .. and an difficulty option).

• HrimnirHrimnir Qeynos, COPosts: 1,597Member Uncommon

IMO questing in its current form is one of the main reasons MMO's are failing so miserably as a whole.

Questing isnt necessarily bad in and of itself, its always the implementation, and/or the lack of other options.

Traditionally post EQ, questins is the only viable way to make XP gains in any reasonable manner.  Yeah, you could kill mobs, but you gained XP at about 1/10th the rate of doing quests, got 0 items, faction, etc etc.

IMO leveling should be done through a minimum of 3 things, quests (which i will define later in detail), group based content (dungeon runs, etc), and standard mob kills.

So, let me clarify what i mean by quests.  Lets take a hypothetical.

You've just made level 12, you've gone to the new mountainous area you saw in the distance, the ground has become lightly covered in snow, up ahead in the trees you see a building.  As you move closer you see more buildings, eventually you reach the area to discover a small town.  As you are walking up to the town, some guards in a tower yell down at you to halt and declare yourself.  You tell them you are simply an adventurer looking for a safe haven.  They tell you its ok to move into town, but to please go see the Sergeant at the main gate before you wander around.  The seargent eyeballs you and tells you that if you want to use their buildings, eat their food, and warm yourself at their fires, then you need to prove yourself.  The sergeant tells you they are in need of some wolf pelts to use for new clothing, bring me 5 of them and you will prove to me you don't have bad intentions.  So you go out, bring back 5 pelts.  Now, as you return, the sarge tells you that you might want to talk to to the captain of the guard.  You do some shopping, sell some crap, restock your food/water, whatever.  You decide to go talk to the captain.  The captain says, "hey, we've been hearing some rumors of bandits up in the hills west of the town, if you happen to be out in that area and find anything, let me know."   So, you go to do some killing, gain some xp.  Maybe while you're chasing down a bear you notice a campfire, so you sneak up to it and see a few guys who could be bandits sitting around the fire, looking at a map.  Eventually when you go back to sell again, you stop by and tell the captain what you found.  He tells you thank you and you move on your way.  Maybe a couple hours later you come back and he says. Player X, come here please sir.  You come up to him and he tells you they did some research and if you're interested they could use someone to do some more in depth scouting.

Anyways, not to get long winded, but the idea is that the questlines are there alongside the xp you gain from killing mobs.

The other idea is that the quests are actually quests, not tasks.  They may start out as tasks, but they eventually morph into actual quests with multiple steps.

I like the idea that you have to prove yourself to the people before they open up their more important tasks for you.  This also gives you a sense of belonging and value.  Eventually these quests could morph into group level stuff, i.e. in the above story maybe the end result is they ask you and some friends to infilitrate the bandit camp and kill the bandit leader, or maybe destroy some critical/key equipment of the bandits so they can't execute their planned attack or blah blah.

The point is though the XP should be significant from the questing, but you shouldnt be able to level SOLELY by questing.  I.e. in some games when they have you go collect 10 beaver pelts, you get say 12000 xp from the quest, but each mob you killed only gave you 100xp each.  Its a stupid disparity.  In my hypothetical game, you might get 12000 xp from the quest, but you also got 1500xp for every beaver you killed.

Later levels would get to the point of basically requiring group content to level.  I.e. in a level cap of 60, you could probably reasonably solo to the late 40's and then it would start requiring group content, maybe not full 6 person groups, maybe you have to duo or trio with some people maybe by the mid 50's you have to start doing full group content.

Now, that doesnt mean there can't be very long "epic" solo quests you can do at end game.  Those could still be part of the game, but flesh them out, make them mean something.

In my opinion the majority of your loot should come fron gorup content dungeon runs, stuff like that, and the really "special" items should come from raids.

I *hate* the idea of sets of armor coming from raids.  I don't mind sets coming from dungeons.  Maybe the dungeon you're raiding is filled with a bunch of dwarves and you are looting dwarven forged mithril breastplates, and dwarven forged mithril gaunlets, and eventually you get a full suit of dwarven forged mithril armor which is decently better than your fine steel armor you had before.

But stuff like say the Dragon Scale Breastplate you got from killing the dragon should be SPECIAL.  Or maybe the dragon killed some elf king long ago and in his horde you find a shield and sword that was forged especially for the elven king and was imbued with mystcal elven powers, etc etc.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• supremewowsupremewow NY, NYPosts: 67Member

I like no quests, or quests like : Kill 700 of X mobs, 300 of Y mobs and also 5 raids to receive a good reward. 

Also , what I would really like to see in MMO's is clan(s) building a small town(s), or a castel(s). With the following :

Once the building process starts, all players who are , or who will come by to that region, should receive a public event, asking them to gather goods in order to help building the said town, or castel. 

Once the town or castel is finished, the ones in charge with it, can add NPC's with quests. Custom quests with custom rewards. Like for exemple :

In the area around the town, there are different mobs with different drops, which said clan needs the mats for .. whatever reason. Now, they add the NPC , then a quests which ask players who accept the quest, to gather X mats from X mobs , to receive the Y custom reward which the clan adds to the quest. 

Or, there is this lake near the town, and the clan needs fish for again, whatever reason. Now players who accepts the quest, can go  and fish at the lake, then come back to the town to receive the custom reward. 

Or, add a farm in or near the town, with a custom quest made by the clan, where players can work on the said farm and receive X reward.

There are lots of possibilities and all made by players. 

Killing mobs is a lot better then quest hubs. As someone already said, take Diablo 3 for exemple. 

A game like this can be done, if a serious game company wants to do it, and from my point of view, it could be a big success. 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Phoenix, AZPosts: 958Member Uncommon
    Is Archeage skill based lvling? If so, other than not being sci-fi it would be my new home.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• ShrillyShrilly Citra, FLPosts: 381Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by immodium

I would like to see what Skyrim did. Remove quest XP all together. Keep quests for the story but XP is given to the activites involved within the quest. Not for handing them in.

Quests could still give coin/loot. Just no XP.

Could work. +1

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 LondonPosts: 724Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    Originally posted by immodium

I would like to see what Skyrim did. Remove quest XP all together. Keep quests for the story but XP is given to the activites involved within the quest. Not for handing them in.

Quests could still give coin/loot. Just no XP.

Could work. +1

Same. Separate it into mobs for xp and quests for some non xp reward: story, gear, coin, faction, keys whatever. That way you can pick and mix which quests you want to do and/or if you find a nice spot while questing you can get off the conveyor belt and grind mobs for a while.

The main problem with the current questing model (for me) is you have to do all the quests because the exp from mobs is so low. Separating the two allows people to just go off and explore and fight the mobs they find then come back and quest for a bit etc.