Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous: Newsletter #28 - Premium Beta 2 Release Date

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

Elite Dangerous announced this week that Tuesday, June 24 marks the start of its Premium Beta 2. Highlights of this phase include:

• Three new star systems: Aulin, a K7 yellow/orange star with a high population and lush greenery, LHS 3006, an ore-rich, M5V orange/red star with low population, and Styx, an M4 orange/red dwarf star with no registered population.

• The "Hauler," a new entry-level trading ship. The first Zorgon Peterson, it's lightweight but only has one hardpoint.

• High resolution screen capture.

• German localization has also been added.

In other news, David Braben held a live chat this week about the game, the transcript of which can be read here.

Though Premium Beta includes a lifetime Expansion Pack, it ends soon. Players interested in purchasing it can still do so here. Otherwise, to join the Premium Beta 2, visit this page on the game's official website.

Comments

• I wonder what kind of hardware you'd need to run the release version of the game with Oculus Rift and getting good framerates. As I understand it, rendering to the Rift will be more hardware intensive, and I read somewhere a fsteady framerate of 75+ would be needed for a good Rift experience.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Any idea when will standard beta start ?

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

I played the old Elite A LOT! Loved it!

I'm gonna play this once it releases. No way I'll pay the ridiculous amount they want for beta.

Not getting Oculus Rift, Just recently got my first 27" monitor. They're getting really cheap now. I'll be buying 2 more for a eyefinity setup. :)

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Corvusco
    It seems that 120$ is the new trend for Alphas/Betas. God help us!

Yeah, and I wonder what percentage of those "testers" ever actually provide any useful feedback / bug reports?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Ya i am not a fan either, of this pay to play beta stuff.

But this $150.00 at least comes with all the future updates, if they do not weasel out somehow:P Just so hard to trust game companies anymore for me.

But if i was sure i would play this game much, i might go for that deal. Just not sure that i believe that they can control the PVP game play the way they want to. So i will wait and see how it goes a while after release.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

sorry but this game is so useless. Why is everyone now making space sims, when Star Citizen comes out?

also there are dozens of other complete space games already, Vendetta Online and Battlestar Galactica for example.

the price is a total ripoff anyway , simply unbelievable what people pay money for these days

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by DocBrody

sorry but this game is so useless. Why is everyone now making space sims, when Star Citizen comes out?

Have you seen it?  Why don't you like it?

Personally, as a vet of the original Elite too BTW - the best Space Sim ever was the I-War games.  I-War 2:Edge of Chaos (by Particle Systems) has never been beaten  IMHO.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

also there are dozens of other complete space games already, Vendetta Online and Battlestar Galactica for example.

the price is a total ripoff anyway , simply unbelievable what people pay money for these days

i am waste 30$ for SC cash grab crap and don't care for it anymore , I waiting for Elite Dangerous and supporting that game with 150$ (not going to play beta) they are make great work ,  already

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

So much butthurt. Don't forget Elite was the grand-daddy of space sims so if anyone has a right to make a returm it's them.

Perhaps this write-up will help educate you? - http://themittani.com/news/e3-2014-elite-dangerous-impressions

So £100 is a rip-off but your Star Citizen gets a pass selling ships that are (in some cases) nothing more than concept art at £100 a pop? I'd rather pay an upfront fee which includes all expansions than have some slimy pay-for-convenience model.

----

4x screenshots look great, Seriously tempted to get a rift for this game.

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Have you seen it?  Why don't you like it?

Personally, as a vet of the original Elite too BTW - the best Space Sim ever was the I-War games.  I-War 2:Edge of Chaos (by Particle Systems) has never been beaten  IMHO.

I so loved the flight physics in I-War. It's one of the reasons I don't play space games anymore, nothing compares to it.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Any idea when will standard beta start ?

Guestimates are end of July / early August, would give testers ~7 weeks of beta. 

The gamma will probably start on the 20th Sept (30th anniversary date).

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Wait, so your contention is that because there's a company selling hyper-expensive screenshots for a nonexistent game, that makes a game with a beta that's actually playable (for a given value of 'playable', anyway) 'useless'?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I think you may be a bit behind the curve, the new standard is closer to $150 for Alpha access.

Then there's the fantastically priced options at the higher end of some Kickstarter projects, which make $150 look more like a monthly sub...

Soon, someone may strike upon the idea of the "Pre-Kickstarter Package" ! Imagine how much they could charge for THAT !? 0.o