Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My problem with ESO

smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129

Staff

Resto gives magicka back - everyone plays resto

Destro gives best AoE -  everyone plays destro

It's really that simple for me. It grinds my gears how they didn't have the forsight to see everyone and their dog using staffs. 

Just watched a speed trial video, one person had a sword, everyone else staff.

/rant

Comments

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    What about those who used damage spells and a resto staff?
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129

Exactly... The fact that resto gives magicka, means you have no reason whatsoever to use any other weapon. Unless you are a class that doesn't have many AoE spells. In that case, bam swap to destro alt weapon. 

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    And you gleaned this all from a 'speed trial' video?
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129

No, from playing the game... The video just set me off 8P

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

The OP makes a great point.  If you play MMORPG"s like me, to immerse yourself into a virtual world, creating an interesting, unique class, you are shit out of luck.  If you do not follow the linear, high dps, sustainable class, as described on all the forums, you will not get into the latest and greatest group content.  Just try and get into a group if you choose to be a nightblade, dual-wielding dagger class. Nope, you must carry a fricken healing staff.  Wow, that makes a lot of sense.  

The bottom line is, that it is just horrible developer design.  I am not saying that  nobody should create a Nightblade class and use a staff. That defeats the purpose of open class systems. But  the majority of level capped Nightblades are forced into pigeon-holing their characters because the game developers created a bad system.  

I also find it rather stupid to have to level to cap (50) in your own factions land. Then by another bad decision, head to the enemies lands and grind out two completely different areas,  for  added Veteran levels, that were only added into the game because Zenimax caved into peoples complaints. 

I read in another thread that they should have just designed the game the way it was intended. You quest in your faction lands. But you can open pvp in instances of the other factions lands. Either that, or you are factionless when you start the game and can quest anywhere. But eventually you can choose on your own which faction you want to join. That way, if you want, you can quest through all the lands at your leisure, but choose your faction and you are committed to one area. 

As a level 42 player, I am still enjoying the game, although the quests are getting a bit repetitive. But Do I see myself grinding out  my faction enemy lands after this?  ESO may lose another subscriber.  That is not immersive at all. I guess time will tell. 

• TreadpoolTreadpool Member Posts: 3
    This is a very interesting thread. I didn't realize things get this way at VR1 and above. Even in later "normal" levels it seems. I'm not a min/max player, but I sure don't want to feel gimped. Will have to level a bit more and find out for myself I guess.
  • KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Quesa

OP is right.  Everyone is using light armor and staves, regardless of class.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Khondor

Yeah, when 11 out of 12 people in a trial has a staff out, there is an issue, especially if your the one (me).  I think the issue is magicka based skills are so much better at sustained dmg. That's why staffs are winning out in PvE. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139

Yes. I have two Templars, one is in heavy armour and uses a 2h sword, the other is in light armour and uses a restoration staff. Guess which has the best dps and survivability...?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by jacktors

I read in another thread that they should have just designed the game the way it was intended. You quest in your faction lands. But you can open pvp in instances of the other factions lands. Either that, or you are factionless when you start the game and can quest anywhere. But eventually you can choose on your own which faction you want to join. That way, if you want, you can quest through all the lands at your leisure, but choose your faction and you are committed to one area. 

um,

the stuff in yellow is how it originally was intended. All the stuff in blue I "assume" is just someone saying how they would have liked it.

Because none of that stuff was ever intended.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • prowesssprowesss Member Posts: 69

[mod edit]

If you only have one problem with ESO, I'd say you're doing a really good job of staying optimistic. 

I chose the Xfinity speed test because it does not reveal my ISP.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I hit Veteran a while ago, I am using bow and stave with heavy armour. I see tons of guys in heavy armour, guys with two handed, guys with duel wield. So that's rubbish.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

OP's point is valid and accurate from my experience and from what I've seen in the VRs.

I have a VR12 Templar (yes, I farmed anomalies from VR7) which is much more effective with dual resto and 7/7 light armor, though I originally intended for him to play heavy armor, 2h/s&b.

However, I still have his heavy armor and 1h+shield, because it's fun in pvp when I'm with my guildies. I love knocking people down with s&b skills. I assume Zen will be fixing the stamina build and heavy armor issues before the console launch.

Till then, I'm leveling a couple of alts to 50 the way I want to (because "play the way you want" doesn't truly work in the upper VRs, no matter what diehard defenders of this game say). By the time I get those guys to 50, I assume Zen will have made some progress on sorting the issue OP has raised.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by d_20

OP's point is valid and accurate from my experience and from what I've seen in the VRs.

I have a VR12 Templar (yes, I farmed anomalies from VR7) which is much more effective with dual resto and 7/7 light armor, though I originally intended for him to play heavy armor, 2h/s&b.

However, I still have his heavy armor and 1h+shield, because it's fun in pvp when I'm with my guildies. I love knocking people down with s&b skills. I assume Zen will be fixing the stamina build and heavy armor issues before the console launch.

Till then, I'm leveling a couple of alts to 50 the way I want to (because "play the way you want" doesn't truly work in the upper VRs, no matter what diehard defenders of this game say). By the time I get those guys to 50, I assume Zen will have made some progress on sorting the issue OP has raised.

VR leveling is a mess... and highlights other deficiencies such as the "all or nothing" re-spec since many people need to do it merely to survive in VR solo play. Often it's just a matter of a couple of morph tweaks needed but you need to do a total respec to be able to do it.

Solo questing in VR zones is a totally different experience than 1-50 questing. Not only is the content significantly more difficult, even if you do re-specc to the handful of builds that are viable, but the pace of rewards and the very slight scaling of armor and weapons stats available after you put in the many hours required to go up a rank makes the progression feel rather pointless.

And no, it's not just a simple matter of "so... join a group" when the more important parts of the content - the main regional story lines, are clearly designed for solo content with many solo-only instances.

I have never been a fan of the "quest in the other alliances" post 50 content but when it was first described it didn't sound like it would be the only post-50 leveling path. PVP and adventure zone leveling were supposed to be equally efficient leveling paths. At least we now have Craglorn which is much, much more fun than the VR quest leveling.

But even with that, the tiny incremental progression from one VR rank to the next given the amount of effort required for advancement, makes it feel like an almost pointless grind. And that is a very serious problem that speaks to the very basics of game - any type of game - design. There has to be a reasonable relationship between effort and reward and VR quest leveling in ESO isn't even remotely reasonable.

I see a lot of silly reasons that people post about why they quit ESO but disliking the VR experience isn't one of the silly ones. I find myself logging and leveling alts and avoiding VR play until they do something to make it fun...it just isn't fun at the moment and if I want to experience the other alliances, I'd rather do it with an alt 1-50 and play it the way it's really designed with a reasonable effort / reward set-up.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Iselin

VR leveling is a mess... and highlights other deficiencies such as the "all or nothing" re-spec since many people need to do it merely to survive in VR solo play. Often it's just a matter of a couple of morph tweaks needed but you need to do a total respec to be able to do it.

Solo questing in VR zones is a totally different experience than 1-50 questing. Not only is the content significantly more difficult, even if you do re-specc to the handful of builds that are viable, but the pace of rewards and the very slight scaling of armor and weapons stats available after you put in the many hours required to go up a rank makes the progression feel rather pointless.

And no, it's not just a simple matter of "so... join a group" when the more important parts of the content - the main regional story lines, are clearly designed for solo content with many solo-only instances.

I have never been a fan of the "quest in the other alliances" post 50 content but when it was first described it didn't sound like it would be the only post-50 leveling path. PVP and adventure zone leveling were supposed to be equally efficient leveling paths. At least we now have Craglorn which is much, much more fun than the VR quest leveling.

But even with that, the tiny incremental progression from one VR rank to the next given the amount of effort required for advancement, makes it feel like an almost pointless grind. And that is a very serious problem that speaks to the very basics of game - any type of game - design. There has to be a reasonable relationship between effort and reward and VR quest leveling in ESO isn't even remotely reasonable.

I see a lot of silly reasons that people post about why they quit ESO but disliking the VR experience isn't one of the silly ones. I find myself logging and leveling alts and avoiding VR play until they do something to make it fun...it just isn't fun at the moment and if I want to experience the other alliances, I'd rather do it with an alt 1-50 and play it the way it's really designed with a reasonable effort / reward set-up.

Hello Iselin. I am only level 45, as I said before release, I go very slowly due to the rest of my life and I never cared about end level. As I tend to agree with most of what you write (not everything lol), I'm concerned that when I get to VR1 that I won't enjoy it. As I stated in another post, I prefer the leveling alt method to going to other factions and would have preferred that they made VR1 end level content only. At first I thought it was  a good idea to avoid alts since you can pretty much play whatever you want with one character, I've changed my mind a little because I do feel the class templates are more confining than Zenimax made them out to be. With that said, I guess I won't know until I get there, but there is a good chance I may follow the route you took and just level alts.What I wont do is level alts and then play through those same factions repeating content with one character.

There Is Always Hope!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It seems to me as with the tutorial "fix" I use that term very loosely, it's always best to stick to an original design that fits with the core of the experience, rather than use make shift content to quell what would be there anyway with a property like this, forum hysteria.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by keithian

Hello Iselin. I am only level 45, as I said before release, I go very slowly due to the rest of my life and I never cared about end level. As I tend to agree with most of what you write (not everything lol), I'm concerned that when I get to VR1 that I won't enjoy it. As I stated in another post, I prefer the leveling alt method to going to other factions and would have preferred that they made VR1 end level content only. At first I thought it was  a good idea to avoid alts since you can pretty much play whatever you want with one character, I've changed my mind a little because I do feel the class templates are more confining than Zenimax made them out to be. With that said, I guess I won't know until I get there, but there is a good chance I may follow the route you took and just level alts.What I wont do is level alts and then play through those same factions repeating content with one character.

One thing I can say is that they're aware of the problem and although they haven't talked about specifics, they've said that improving VR gameplay is a priority... at the rate you're going there might not be a problem once you get there :)

And Craglorn IS a very nice zone that isn't just for VR10+ players. You can go there as soon as you get to VR1, group up and find some nice quests and other things to do. It's really mostly the solo play that suffers in the VR levels.

And IMHO, the fix doesn't have to be just about content balancing. I really do believe that they didn't think enough about the post-50 reward system. They desperately need to give different and better perks for completing VR content... powerfull new abilties you can only get after 50... morphs of the morphs... an extra ultimate-like slot with a separate cool-down / build-up system... something....

In the meantime I just started a DC alt and am having fun with all the quests that are new to me. (My highest character is VR7 but I haven't finished the Ebonheart Pact yet so I'm doing DC quests for the first time.)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Scot

I hit Veteran a while ago, I am using bow and stave with heavy armour. I see tons of guys in heavy armour, guys with two handed, guys with duel wield. So that's rubbish.

I don't think its rubbish at all.  I've noticed more and more that people are running around in light armor with staves regardless of class. 

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127

I'm sure by the time we can level to 55 they will tweak the classes so another class other than the dragon knight will be OP and a different weapon as well. I'm hoping the bow will be late in the list. To many games with nothing but archers running around gets old. The game is young still and everything gets fixed with time. I am enjoying the game and have 2 of each class so not to gimp my toons while being able to do every profession and weapon type. So glad to be away from the cartoon mmo's and this should get me to EQ next hopefully. Not like EQ next will give me the old EQ1 feeling back but lets hope.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

To start with, they're buffing medium armor (and some weapon skills) significantly.  We'll see how that plays out.

The VR zones are difficult to balance because PvP and PvE have opposite needs.

For PvP you want balanced classes and balanced characters.  If you're a PvP-first player, you don't want to have to sink 300+ hours in PvE leveling to be able to play the game you want.  For PvE - well, you'd prefer that your character would feel more powerful as you level up; so you'd like a VR12 to be measurably stronger than a VR1.

So if you got a lot stronger during the VR run you'd be compelled to do it to be able to PvP effectively.

Personally, I think that they should drastically boost lower level characters in PvP, so that you can do just fine there if you show up at moderate level (e.g. once your skill lines are filled out, around level 30-35).  And then make the PvE power curve have internal sense.

I'm running alts up - not because I hate the VR content, but because my character there is basically "done" and I'm just mopping up stray skill lines and diversifying his build.  It's more fun to see what a sorceror or dragon knight is relative to a nightblade (my main); I enjoy all three approaches.