Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] H1Z1: Color Me Optimistic

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

The market for hardcore perma-death pvp MMO's is so small, I don't know why a big development house like SOE would try to get into it.  As a MOD, not a full fledged MMO, Day-Z was great but none of the games since have had any traction...  War-Z, Rust, Nether, Day-Z full, each one attracts extreme hacking and only a small dedicated customer base. 

I don't understand this game, the crafting looks great but if I die I lose all my mats and recipes and have to start over.  Why would I bother with the crafting system when I know that the next time I play I could lose all my progress?  If they have a server with a ruleset that allows me to keep the recipes and mats I learned/earned, I may give it a try but sticking a complex crafting system into a perma-death pvp game is just poor game design.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by Talonsin

The market for hardcore perma-death pvp MMO's is so small, I don't know why a big development house like SOE would try to get into it.  As a MOD, not a full fledged MMO, Day-Z was great but none of the games since have had any traction...  War-Z, Rust, Nether, Day-Z full, each one attracts extreme hacking and only a small dedicated customer base. 

I don't understand this game, the crafting looks great but if I die I lose all my mats and recipes and have to start over.  Why would I bother with the crafting system when I know that the next time I play I could lose all my progress?  If they have a server with a ruleset that allows me to keep the recipes and mats I learned/earned, I may give it a try but sticking a complex crafting system into a perma-death pvp game is just poor game design.

Ya me too,  on the i do not understand this. I foresee a great disturbance in the force.. think it will be named  NGE 2

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Why does SOE have to be so misleading?This is NOT perma death,this is nothing more than what every game does,it is a penalty for fake dying,just more harsh than most.Mounds...foot lockers,pretty weak design you ask me,they can do MUCH better.

I would like to hear about what the game offers for fun,some hardcore penalty does not bring the fun.

IMO this is just SOE trying to reach out to a certain market that they believe is not yet flooded.However they tried that kids game to hit that market and failed,they tried the TCG market and failed,we already know the changes in swg that failed,SOE is receiving some real poor direction,idk if it is all Smedley but they are not being lead very well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DMKano

Color me pissed off - this is for us SWG fans remember....

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

Yeah color me "big middle finger" to this slap in the face.

Do not claim "us" in such posts please... It was Smedly for ^&*(% sake.  nothing but a walking sales pitch, do you get this mad at Keloggs when you don't enjoy your frosted flakes?

Who the heck gets this mad about sales pitches, it kinda shows signs of belief in them. That's on you...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

What!? This is the game that Smed was talking about when he mentioned "a new home for SWG fans"?

Wow! When I first heard about this game, I thought they were a bit late, as the whole Zombie / Undead fad is nearly over. I mean...  it's like some chick waking up today and wanting to purchase a "New Moon" T-shirt.

Yes.  What he meant wasn't another Scifi IP, or Star Wars IP, he meant a game based on the same basic design ideas that made SWG what it was.  I won't try to speak for most of the players, but I only know of a couple people in my guild on starsider that only played the game because it was star wars IP.  Majority of players played longer then average because they loved the systems in place that allowed the things that made swg be great.  It wasn't the lightsabers or blaster pistols I will tell you that! =D

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Microtransaction gear and permadeath? Lol, awesome combo.  How can anyone think that's a viable business model?

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    gear= Cosmetic,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Talonsin

It works just fine with Project Zomboid, though that has to do with a loss of character skill levels rather than crafting recipes, and I could argue that's a bit more rough (talking hours to develop a single skill, some far longer). While I can understand why people might have a knee jerk reaction to perma-death related mechanics, if there's nothing to lose in the process of a character's death, then there's no point in making it permanent. Some people might be instantly turned off by this idea, and that's alright: there are handfuls of games that don't require you to suffer through perma-death mechanics if you don't want to experience that.

I think it's going to work just fine, as a design choice, and it's worked fine in games before it. This is probably the least of my concerns regarding H1Z1, though, since we're talking about a product that already has a successful and much larger audience (DayZ) as its direct competitor.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

What if they reskinned it and made the zombies into rakghouls.

Joking aside. I wish there would be just a good Star Wars mmo in general.....Sandbox or not, just make it massive and let us play as wookies.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I am no car expert, but can cars actually run on distilled animal fat?  I understand there are ethanol cars, but I believe those have to be specifically designed to use ethanol.  I have never heard of a distilled animal fat run car.  Is that possible?
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Ha ha, this game is going suck sooooo bad. WTF, Sony?
  • fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37

This game looks SUPER SICK!

I'll be giving it a try, that's for sure!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by Ehliya
    I am no car expert, but can cars actually run on distilled animal fat?  I understand there are ethanol cars, but I believe those have to be specifically designed to use ethanol.  I have never heard of a distilled animal fat run car.  Is that possible?

I think maybe diesel could do that.   The original diesel engine was not designed to run on petroleum.  Surely there have to be some internal combustion engine afficianados who can give out the real scoop.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Bunnyking

Microtransaction gear and permadeath? Lol, awesome combo.  How can anyone think that's a viable business model?

Quite easy to do, actually ! 

All the cosmetic clothing you buy just respawns in your backpack (that you also bought) each time you respawn...

Or you could buy XP enhancers...

Or signal flares (so that your buddies can find you more easily when you first reappear in the world)...

I'm sure SOE could come up with a few hundred more.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Bunnyking

Quite easy to do, actually ! 

All the cosmetic clothing you buy just respawns in your backpack (that you also bought) each time you respawn...

Or you could buy XP enhancers...

Or signal flares (so that your buddies can find you more easily when you first reappear in the world)...

I'm sure SOE could come up with a few hundred more.

That might work, but I still think perma-death won't be in the final release.  Too controversial.  Basically means the game will only appeal to the ultra hard core and that won't pay for a game.  If they keep perma-death in the game the servers will be off line within a year.

Perma-death and MMO just do not work together no matter how you try to build it because you cannot attract enough of a audience to actually pay for a game.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    ha ha crafting in a permadeath gankfest. Why bother? How can you spend anytime crafting when the game will be chock full of griefers. And really there is no point in the zombies it will be just like Day Z, War Z and everyother zombie pvp fest, the zombies are more or less ignored because players cannot resit the option to kill off the other players instead. Why can't they make a horror survival game that isn't just another pvp arena?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

For those of you dismayed by Sony's deafness, State of Decay is on sale now on Steam.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

It isn't even for SWG fans. It was Smedley's dumb ass marketing again. Just like when he pissed off the EQN devs by saying that they were toying with the idea of Permadeath in EQN. He will say whatever he can to get people to look at his games. He could literally say "OUR NEXT GAME IS FOR FANS OF POKEMON" and a week later their "next game" will have a trailer and it would be a pirate slots game.

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    From what i have seen of the game it looks like pieces ripped directly from infestation and content made for dayz mod with some retexture/skins.

Hopeful its good. However, im not expecting.
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

^ this.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    who wants zombie crap,i need a good star wars game.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Dauntis
    ha ha crafting in a permadeath gankfest. Why bother? How can you spend anytime crafting when the game will be chock full of griefers. And really there is no point in the zombies it will be just like Day Z, War Z and everyother zombie pvp fest, the zombies are more or less ignored because players cannot resit the option to kill off the other players instead. Why can't they make a horror survival game that isn't just another pvp arena?

These are more fps than mmo pvp. I love mmorpg pvp. I like shooters. I don't play survival shooters.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

The theme is played out, but the gameplay concepts aren't IMO. Open World survival, they just need to make sure that the zombies are so dangerous that players are encouraged to move in groups.

For people calling it a "gank fest" please explain your vision for how a game like this is supposed to play. I'm curious.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

A free to play game such as this is a griefers and hacker paradise! All it's going to take is a few grief hackers/exploiters each day to make a lot of peoples efforts in a perma death system a futile effort. Planetside 2 has shown how SOE deals with hackers, not very well. Most hackers will be running around for 8 hours or more before being kicked off and banned, then returning with a new account and HWID spoof. Good luck during holiday times when SOE staff go home to their families, the hackers really come out for a few days of unchallenged griefing due to lack of what real time monitoring there is during SOE staff working hours.

EU servers will come worst off due to the the times SOE's staff are on.  They really need to rethink the perm death, as the automated anti hack now in place in PS2 doesn't help when hackers have a line up of throw throw away accounts to use. There are whole  communities whose purpose is to grief players and drive them away in MMO's, and the reason this perma death approach is not going to work in the games favor long term. You'll end up with a small hardcore group who will drive SOE's attempts to draw new players in away. 

I've not heard any details of the perma death system actual function, so I'm not sure if you get a complete whipe, or if you retain anything things from your previous experience. If you get to keep the cabin you built , stored things in,, and you still have that after you die, that would be much better if you could keep things you hoarded and stored after each death in a house you own SWG style.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

The theme is played out, but the gameplay concepts aren't IMO. Open World survival, they just need to make sure that the zombies are so dangerous that players are encouraged to move in groups.

For people calling it a "gank fest" please explain your vision for how a game like this is supposed to play. I'm curious.

How the game is "supposed to play" is completely irrelevant. Given the genre (survival game) and the permadeath rules, there is only one possible outcome: GankFest.

The only way to change that outcome is to change the rules significantly, but that may produce a game nobody would want to play. Kinda like taking a game called "EverQuest" and removing all the quests because they are boring.