Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] H1Z1: Color Me Optimistic

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

You may have already seen that earlier this week H1Z1 was the recipient of our Rising Star award at E3. When I first watched the stream where John Smedley, President SOE, announced H1Z1 I was more than a little concerned in the direction the development of the game would take. I am a firm believer that survival horror games have to encourage players to survive, and typically that is with a stick, not a carrot; and that stick is permanent death. That aspect of the game never really came through in that announcement for me. After my meeting with Adam Clegg, one of the developers working on H1Z1, to discuss development on the Survival Horror MMORPG I have started to believe this game can do well in the genre.

Read more of Rob Lashley's H1Z1: Color Me Optimistic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

really looking forward to this one.. cant wait to get testing it..

an mmo version of Dayz/rust sounds about perfect to me.. bring it on.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    As an additional perk for you SWG fans we will be launching on PS4 first with timed exclusives. Come on home, this one's for you.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

What!? This is the game that Smed was talking about when he mentioned "a new home for SWG fans"?

Wow! When I first heard about this game, I thought they were a bit late, as the whole Zombie / Undead fad is nearly over. I mean...  it's like some chick waking up today and wanting to purchase a "New Moon" T-shirt.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I'm on the fence...  Bits I have seen have looked horrible but its pre alpha so I shall sit and wait.

More interested in EQ:N but i'll prob be too old to game by the time that hits...

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Perma death and no permanent progression in an MMO?! That sucks...

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

You forgot the 3rd type.

Griefers

World builders

Whiners

Other than that, looking good!

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Crusades
    As an additional perk for you SWG fans we will be launching on PS4 first with timed exclusives. Come on home, this one's for you.

Where did they state they would be launching on PS4 first?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by DMKano

Color me pissed off - this is for us SWG fans remember....

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

Yeah color me "big middle finger" to this slap in the face.

Well to be honest... Apart from the Star wars bit... that we know will not come back. It has the following features

A big open world to explore (just like SWG.. ok SWG had its world instanced in to different "planets" but in the end it is the same thing)

A deep and meaningful crafting system (just like SWG)

A open character development (according to soE... Just like SWG)

Interesting PvP mechanics (that i would claim outstrips SWG by a mile)

So in my mind it is a nice game for the people who liked SWG... That is not the same as being a good game for the people who want a carbon copy SWG or a new SW MMO... But they never claimed that either.

This have been a good conversation

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Crusades

Yeah, because SWG fans home is on a PS4.

What the fuck did I just read.

• jayndsunjayndsun Member Posts: 14
    this genera  is soo tired .. there is a better Post apocalyptic MMO out now its called  Fallen Earth
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    So it looks like a complete copy of Day Z? Complete with permadeath? Yeah this is going to be a hit....
  • Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    Is this the game he was talking about when he stated SWG fans would have a home to come back to or is there something else to be announced I hope its the latter because the above looks like absolute crap.

Edit: Ok after checking I now realise this is what he was talking about which makes me also realise he has no fucking clue what he is talking about the fat balding deluded tit.

• OniDaimyo77OniDaimyo77 Member CommonPosts: 30
    No one except assholes will play this.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Its unfortunate smed promoted this game as an swg homecoming. It has some interesting ideas and could probably be its own mmo. But the swg expectation was put on by king bs artist and its going to end up hurting an otherwise promising looking game

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46
    If you had followed the E3 interviews you should all know H1Z1 won't be a MMO and the map is only 64km² which is much smaller than DayZ.
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    This sounds less and less appealing everytime they talk about it. I think the Zombie survival genre is pretty much full.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

This sure sounds alot like DayZ. If they can add building and make crafting important, or turn the real threat of survival into protecting yourself from zombies and the elements, hopefully both, I'd say they're on the right track to gaining positive attention. Otherwise, on paper, the two games look very, very similar, and I can play Epoch modded servers to get my fill of crafting and building without needing to buy a new product.

Still, I don't think there could ever be too many games in the zombie or survival horror space. I love the shit out of them, so I can't really complain.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

When Smed dropped the hint about "a new home for SWG vets", the first thought that popped into my old SWG character's head was not "Yeah ! Survival game with permadeath and zombies !"

I was a Master Chef in SWG, not a Master Sergeant.

So this game will have "complex crafting" like old SWG ?

Lol, gimme a break, they'd be lucky to squeeze 25% of that complexity into Hizi... The fans of these kinds of games would have a brain seizure if faced with SWG crafting in all its undiluted glory.

Besides, the characters don't live long enough to be there to empty their factory hopper at the end of a full template run... image

You'd probably have to be reincarnated 4 times just to get one batch of Corellian Brandy finished, lmao...

Resources with up to 7 attributes, all of which change in value randomly every 3-4 weeks, along with the spawn locations and resource density ?

Given the setting of Hizi, there can't be any complex manufacturing. You'll be scavenging parts and re-assembling or (at best) re-purposing those pieces of material. The recipes may be "complex", like a halberd made from a sharpened hubcap, a roadsign pole, a bit of wood, some nails, wire, leather straps, etc., but one "Roadsign Poleaxe" is going to be the same as any other really.

• SinkaelSinkael Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by tawess

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

Well to be honest... Apart from the Star wars bit... that we know will not come back. It has the following features

A big open world to explore (just like SWG.. ok SWG had its world instanced in to different "planets" but in the end it is the same thing)

So in my mind it is a nice game for the people who liked SWG... That is not the same as being a good game for the people who want a carbon copy SWG or a new SW MMO... But they never claimed that either.

I don't know when I think of SWG this isn't really anything like what comes to mind, if this is truly the game Smed was talking about, it just goes to show how out of touch with SWG he really was.

The crafting system seems basic and not something you can make your primary play style, it may be "important" but this game obviously revolves entirely around the combat aspect of play.

Where is the non-combat related game play, Dancing, Politician, Bio-Engineer, Tamer, Whatever the hell the skill line was that let you do people hair.  What about housing and meaningful guild system?  

What made SWG great and what Smed and SOE couldn't figure out was the options it provided to us, not everything revolved around "kill 10 foozles" or blow up that base or kill that jedi.  I remember spending many nights online and never leaving the cantina, or spending hours planet hoping looking for the best spot to put my factories, or spending a week just putting together my shop.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

Come play The Repopulation. It is your sanctuary. 

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    It seems SoE will always treat SWG vets like crap they haven't learned a thing.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Sinkael
    Originally posted by tawess

A zombie survival game 

For SWG fans.....

I don't know when I think of SWG this isn't really anything like what comes to mind, if this is truly the game Smed was talking about, it just goes to show how out of touch with SWG he really was.

The crafting system seems basic and not something you can make your primary play style, it may be "important" but this game obviously revolves entirely around the combat aspect of play.

Where is the non-combat related game play, Dancing, Politician, Bio-Engineer, Tamer, Whatever the hell the skill line was that let you do people hair.  What about housing and meaningful guild system?  

What made SWG great and what Smed and SOE couldn't figure out was the options it provided to us, not everything revolved around "kill 10 foozles" or blow up that base or kill that jedi.  I remember spending many nights online and never leaving the cantina, or spending hours planet hoping looking for the best spot to put my factories, or spending a week just putting together my shop.

Ummmmmmmm, maybe you should go take another look at the SWG promotional material. It's basically like, lightsaber, lightsaber, blaster, explosion, blaster, blaster, lightning, lightsaber, lightsaber, "You can be a Bounty Hunter, or a Jedi, or Something else!!!!" Lightsaber, lightsaber, explosions, spaceships, spaceships, blaster, lightsaber, end! Explosion! 

It's not like they're going to openly promote that you're going to be bored out of your skull. However, based on some of the early information I heard, things like ammo are going to be extremely scarce, to the point where you actually don't want to use it. The game is supposedly NOT a game where combat is your primary goal. 

Also, didn't Smed say it was the "Spiritual Successor to SWG?" I seem to remember plenty of former SWG players saying that they didn't care about the IP and if Star Wars was stripped from the game, they would play it. Maybe it's time to eat that humble pie because this is nothing like SWG, but if the game hits the mark and people still complain about SWG I'll call you out. Personally, I was all about the IP, so SWTOR did just fine to satisfy my need for a Star Wars MMO. I might play this, but I think I'll probably be spending more time over in The Repopulation to get my sandbox fix. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    More Zombie garbage......sign, ill pass
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

I had high hopes for this game, the direction it was showing, & it's concept.  There's no way I'll toss real monetary value at this game though if I could lose everything permanently b'c of some "griefer".  Hopefully they'll include a few different server rule-sets with this in mind.

This does seem to be the next emerging genre in MMOs.  H1Z1 will have competition, but nonetheless it's looking quite good.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

... However, based on some of the early information I heard, things like ammo are going to be extremely scarce, to the point where you actually don't want to use it. The game is supposedly NOT a game where combat is your primary goal. 

<snip>. 

That might be some vague intention on the part of the devs, but reality will crush that little flower instantly.

What is the defining aspect of all these Survival games ? Surviving being attacked by other players. That is always the greatest and most constant danger, and the most frequent cause of death.

"Kill them before they kill you ! Unless one of your friends stabs you in the back first..." image