Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elite: Dangerous: E3 Preview - Every Star in the Universe

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

At E3 last week, we had the opportunity to take Elite for a test spin. Not only that, but we were given some time with, wait for it… the Oculus Rift version! Garrett and Bill were generous enough to let me take it for a spin since I had never tried the Oculus Rift prior to this, and there is only one word to describe the experience: MIND-BLOWING!

Read more of Terry O'Brien's Elite: Dangerous: E3 Preview - Every Star in the Universe

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    awesome space sim game,I am hope MP 'll be great too

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Any rumours or speculation on release date?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Why do they call games like this simulators when they are nothing close to a space flight simulator?  It is just another arcade game.  It is ok to enjoy arcade games, but not ok to call in a simulator in any shape or form.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Why do they call games like this simulators when they are nothing close to a space flight simulator?  It is just another arcade game.  It is ok to enjoy arcade games, but not ok to call in a simulator in any shape or form.

Space sim game, not space sim simulator.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    You can pay 150 $ and play in Beta right now if you wanted......I think it is a little too much for a game that isnt a MMORPG but others may disagree..

• DrazoDrazo Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Because it simulates space. 

And what do you mean arcade? It seem to me the exact opposite of arcade.

Originally posted by firefly2003
    You can pay 150 $ and play in Beta right now if you wanted......I think it is a little too much for a game that isnt a MMORPG but others may disagree..

Essentially, it is 50 USD for Beta access.

50 USD for the game + 50 USD for all expansions that will come in future + 50 USD for beta access = 150 USD for whole package.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I've been waiting for this game since I burned out my last C-64. From what I've seen, this modern version looks fantastic, and I fully expect it to recapture some of the magic from 30 years ago.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

There are a large portion of gamers who play these games who grew up on Microsoft Flight Simulator.  That is a simulation.  Where the ingame cockpit looks exactly like a real world planes AND the plane handles as close to real life as possible.

Games like that are considered simulators.

This game is an arcade game.  It's easy to jump right in and play and does not have a learning curve, despite what the author says....well, not to seasoned flight simulator veterans.

And yes, people are elitist about it.  Fans of actual flight simulators look down at games like Elite.

I am not saying it is a bad game, but it is not a Simulation.

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

There are a large portion of gamers who play these games who grew up on Microsoft Flight Simulator.  That is a simulation.  Where the ingame cockpit looks exactly like a real world planes AND the plane handles as close to real life as possible.

This game is an arcade game.  It's easy to jump right in and play and does not have a learning curve, despite what the author says....well, not to seasoned flight simulator veterans.

And yes, people are elitist about it.  Fans of actual flight simulators look down at games like Elite.

please tell me about your real life space flight experiences ....

oh wait .. we don't have any yet.

It uses a Newtonian Physics model, thus simulating what it would be like to control a vehicle in space ... sounds like a simulator to me ....... but hey, what do I know?, i'm not an astronaut or astrophysicist.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

please tell me about your real life space flight experiences ....

oh wait .. we don't have any yet.

It uses a Newtonian Physics model, thus simulating what it would be like to control a vehicle in space ... sounds like a simulator to me ....... but hey, what do I know?, i'm not an astronaut or astrophysicist.

I'm not a pilot but I understand the physics of how they fly and the mechanics of how the plain works. I don't think real life experience has to be undertaken to understand how a ship would "fly" in space.

Violating newtons laws of motion are what make most space "sims" fun.  People tend to think of small fighter type plans as agile like an in, atmosphere dog fight. But unless they just decide to come up with some imaginary population a fighter isn't actually a practical war ship in space at all.....but it's fun. That's the catch 22 of saying it's a space sim or "realistic"

Realistic isn't near as fun as saying fuck it, we can do this.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Turn off flight assist and you end up flying with full Newtonian physics. That to me is a simulator and not an arcade game.

Also with the whole of the Milkyway being in the game (So that would be 100 billion on release of the game going to 400 billion solar systems as they expand the game.). That is far more than any arcade game so again simulated galaxy map guess its a sim then.

You need to do some research into the game before posting stuff you don't know about.

Also the game is set in the far future by about 1000 years to our current time, what is to say that humanity hasn't mastered space flight to make it easier?

• DrazoDrazo Member UncommonPosts: 25

First of all, ofcourse it is not a FLIGHT simulator, that has only been mentioned as a strawman to argue agains.

Many would consider it a SPACE simulator tho. That's not how frontier themselves market it, but they do simulate our galaxy pretty damn accurate.

You are right about one thing tho, it's easy to learn. But when you play more you'll find out it has a lot of dept to it that is challenging to master. And it has absolutly nothing to do with arcade.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    I can put you into a VR mask and "Simulate" you working at Burger King. It doest mean the Simulation is accurate but its trying to immerse you into the job of working as a fast food employee. Just because you have a burger throwing mini-game to make it fun doesnt make it less of a simulation, it just makes it less accurate to reality, but it isnt Simulating reality, its simulating a unique experiance. 
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Boardwalker
    I've been waiting for this game since I burned out my last C-64. From what I've seen, this modern version looks fantastic, and I fully expect it to recapture some of the magic from 30 years ago.

Here's hoping bud..  Old timer here as well :)

I'll be dropping the cash on this and Star Citizen with a side of O-Rift...  Wish they would hurry the f**k up with it all...

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

There are different kind of simulations. What you describe are Flight Simulators.. simulating the experience of flighing. Elite is a Space Simulation.. it is a Simulation of the Galaxy. That is a difference, and you can't compare it. So yes.. flighing is not simulating.. it is uses not newtonian pyhsics this time around(as the last Elite), and is more arcade style dogfighting. But that is not the point. But what it does is that it simulates the galaxy.. it does have all of the Stars accurately. So it is more like a World Simulator, and not so much like a "Action Simulator" what Flight simulators are basicly are. 

So yes... it is a Simulation.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by Apraxis

There are different kind of simulations. What you describe are Flight Simulators.. simulating the experience of flighing. Elite is a Space Simulation.. it is a Simulation of the Galaxy. That is a difference, and you can't compare it. So yes.. flighing is not simulating.. it is uses not newtonian pyhsics this time around(as the last Elite), and is more arcade style dogfighting. But that is not the point. But what it does is that it simulates the galaxy.. it does have all of the Stars accurately. So it is more like a World Simulator, and not so much like a "Action Simulator" what Flight simulators are basicly are. 

So yes... it is a Simulation.

It's a space sim that uses atmospheric flight thus the heavy handed yaw nerf.  So yes it is a sim but only up to a point.  Still will be good fun, there no need to get stuck on semantics as long as people know what it offers and doesn't offer.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The more i see of this game the more i think its going to rock...

Cant wait

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well the game wont be that much when its released.. its only that much if you really want to get in and help test the game.

They said during the kickstarter the price was that high because they did not want thousands of peole buying into beta who just wanted to play a game they wanted to get people who actually wanted to test a game to find and report bugs.. people willing to put $150 into a game usually want it to work when released to will gladly help find bugs and make the game better.. if it was say $10 to get into beta then most of those people would only be wanting to play a new game and not test to find bugs.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Well the game wont be that much when its released.. its only that much if you really want to get in and help test the game.

They said during the kickstarter the price was that high because they did not want thousands of peole buying into beta who just wanted to play a game they wanted to get people who actually wanted to test a game to find and report bugs.. people willing to put $150 into a game usually want it to work when released to will gladly help find bugs and make the game better.. if it was say $10 to get into beta then most of those people would only be wanting to play a new game and not test to find bugs.

You are not actually paying 150$ to get into beta.  The game itself if pre ordered is 50$ plus another 50$ for all expansion passes which equals 100$.  Increase the game pre order to 75$ to get into the standard beta , they are in the "first beta stage right now" next phase is "standard beta", for a total of 125$

So to recap

100$ for the game when it goes live along with the expansion pass

or

125$ for the game including standard beta access plus the expansion pass

or 150$ for immediate access plus the game plus all expansion passes.

so really it is a package deal with access right now costing you an extra 25 to 50$ depending on if your willing to wait for the live release or want standard beta access.

So myself I think it is not about wanting limited people for first beta but more about milking for more money.

Source

EDIT: you also have the option to just get the game when it goes live for 50$ but you get no future "expansions" or alternately you can pay 75$ for game+standard beta but no expansion pass.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by Gdemami

50 USD for the game + 50 USD for all expansions that will come in future + 50 USD for beta access = 150 USD for whole package.

I would think that if you are willing to pay a company in advance for their game ($50) and for all future expansions (an additional $50) that you have shown enough commitment to their game to warrant beta accees. 

Originally posted by Zeddakis
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I would think that if you are willing to pay a company in advance for their game ($50) and for all future expansions (an additional $50) that you have shown enough commitment to their game to warrant beta accees. 

Agreed which I why I feel they are "milking it". Like you I think beta access should be a perk for supporting the game by pre ordering it.

• Gryphon0468Gryphon0468 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    They're not "milking it". It's a continuation of the Kickstarter tiers, just like Star Citizen.
    Originally posted by Gryphon0468
    They're not "milking it". It's a continuation of the Kickstarter tiers, just like Star Citizen.

That is the great thing about opinions we can all have different ones, to me spending over 100$ for a game is "milking it".  Also SC had alpha access for cheaper AND they pretty much let people know they were "milking it".

I spent 60$ bucks for a ship + 6 months insurance on it + alpha access + all future content, If I had to pay for the game too I would not have spent any money till release.

The way I see it is a good console game is what 60 to 100$ counting taxes so any mmorpg that charges more than that is "milking it" IMHO.

Feel free to disagree.

Originally posted by Asm0deus

That is the great thing about opinions we can all have different ones, to me spending over 100$ for a game is "milking it".

Funny how you deliberately leave out the one who actually spent those money out of the equation....