Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: The Strain Has Infected Me

Comments

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by BlazeIV
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Public dungeon sounds interesting

People kept saying this about old school public dungeons, lamenting them, and chastising the modern practice of instances and phasing.  With the recent release of TESO and their plethora of Public Dungeons, that old idea has been proven completely and totally false.  The public dungeons prove to be so amazingly immersion breaking, it is horrific.

Public dungeons went the way of the dodo for a while, and for good reason.  They need to stay that way.

I'm pretty sure it was the bugs, glitches and bots that broke immersion in TESO's public dungeons. I think Carbine can make these work. Also, I agree with MikeB. SWG had amazing public dungeons Pre-NGE.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by MikeB

People kept saying this about old school public dungeons, lamenting them, and chastising the modern practice of instances and phasing.  With the recent release of TESO and their plethora of Public Dungeons, that old idea has been proven completely and totally false.  The public dungeons prove to be so amazingly immersion breaking, it is horrific.

Public dungeons went the way of the dodo for a while, and for good reason.  They need to stay that way.

Star Wars Galaxies, on the other hand, had public dungeons that had to be sought out in out of the way places. These were often difficult and required players to team up to find success in. They were just places to seek out adventure in the game world. Some of my most fun grouping experiences were in these areas (Fort Tusken, Geonosian Caves to a lesser extent, The Warren ). I don't feel ESO really disproved anything about public dungeons. Used properly and in the right type of game, they can be incredibly fun experiences that offer ample opportunities to make new friends and allies (or hunt enemies!).

I never did manage to get that bounty hunter jetpack... Oh the regrets!

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

The public dungeon certainly surprised me, in a good way. However things are about to get very chaotic in there being on a PvP server and such......I have a feeling this place is going to turn into a warzone over which faction gets to use it.

Can't wait. Also happy about another place to mine at and do dailies. Another way to max out my elder points for the week.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Yawn.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by kikosforever
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Originally posted by greatskys

Personally I would like more news about how they are going to sort out the games optimization. It doesn't matter how much content they put out if its pot luck whether your machine will play it or not . I know they have acknowledged that there is a problem and they are working on it but I can guarantee you its not just down to AMD processors because I'm using a Pentium i7 3.4 ghz , 8 gb ram and a radeon 6800 hd card . (cards obviously not the best but it had no problem playing TESO on high settings at 40-50fps in the open world where as in Wildstar it only gets 20-30fps in a similar open world enviroment on low settings not to mention it looks like a game I would have played in 2004 when at those settings  )

Graphics drivers all up to date , PC cleaned of all dust , no unwanted programs running in the back ground  , running in DX9 and a host of other solutions too numerous to mention that all failed to work . Feel free to list more but I can pretty much guarantee I've tried it and I dont feel inclined to upgrade my card yet when it plays every single other game I wish to play just fine on high or ultra settings .

I'm sure someone will say its my PC but explain why when  all other games work fine and why forums are full of people with similar problems . If you are thinking of buying this game get a buddy key first because there is no guarantee if it will work on your rig whatever its specs . Some mid range PCs will run it better that high ranged ones . Its a good game but its this is what will limit its success . 

Optimization is a big deal, don't think they are over looking it.  There will be a solution sooner than later.

Agree

Future content team is a separate team and according to Gaffney its 33% of the total team and will go up to 50% when problems of launch settles down.

So they are together adding content and fixing the problems. They cant and shouldnt stop producing new content because of some bugs or optimization problems for some ppl. They must do them both and they are.

Just for the record, in their yesterdays twitch they announced a patch, coming at the end of this week, with client optimizations.

Thats good news but they really need to offer a free trial even if its a two day  one when they do . Theres no way I would ever buy this game without trying it to see if the optimization has improved after such a patch . 

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Leiros

I'm pretty sure it was the bugs, glitches and bots that broke immersion in TESO's public dungeons. I think Carbine can make these work. Also, I agree with MikeB. SWG had amazing public dungeons Pre-NGE.

I think WS may have a chance to make it work better. Time will tell :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Foomerang Public dungeon sounds interesting
    People kept saying this about old school public dungeons, lamenting them, and chastising the modern practice of instances and phasing.  With the recent release of TESO and their plethora of Public Dungeons, that old idea has been proven completely and totally false.  The public dungeons prove to be so amazingly immersion breaking, it is horrific.   Public dungeons went the way of the dodo for a while, and for good reason.  They need to stay that way.
    It all depends on the game. ESO's public dungeons are part of your organic path through a zone and you often even have quests going into them. They also aren't terribly challenging. This means players are mostly just a nuisance when found in a public dungeon.

Star Wars Galaxies, on the other hand, had public dungeons that had to be sought out in out of the way places. These were often difficult and required players to team up to find success in. They were just places to seek out adventure in the game world. Some of my most fun grouping experiences were in these areas (Fort Tusken, Geonosian Caves to a lesser extent, The Warren ). I don't feel ESO really disproved anything about public dungeons. Used properly and in the right type of game, they can be incredibly fun experiences that offer ample opportunities to make new friends and allies (or hunt enemies!).

Also, running into a bunch of players in an MMO is the exact opposite of 'immersion breaking' for me.

In any case, I wouldn't shut the door on public dungeons just yet. Let's see how Carbine handles one. My personal opinion is that these are a better fit for sandbox games, which is why they may seem a bit out of place here and perhaps in ESO, but I'm more than willing to give Carbine the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed. And again, I think the path system is the real ace up the sleeve here. It creates not just a more interactive environment, but an interactive environment which involves players working together using non combat abilities. It really sets itself apart from other themeparks in that way.

Going to disagree on the paths part.  If there's one thing in wildstar I think they needed to put more effort into its the paths, scientist press G on random things for experience, settlers collect randomly placed items to build temporary buff stations, soldiers just grind more mobs etc.  There was nothing exciting or special about any of the paths actual gameplay. I think the concept of having a progression bar alongside leveling is brilliant, but their system was very underwhelming for me personally.  

Glad they are staying true so far to pumping out content on a good timetable though, blizzard needs to step up in that department. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Agreed. And again, I think the path system is the real ace up the sleeve here. It creates not just a more interactive environment, but an interactive environment which involves players working together using non combat abilities. It really sets itself apart from other themeparks in that way.

Going to disagree on the paths part.  If there's one thing in wildstar I think they needed to put more effort into its the paths, scientist press G on random things for experience, settlers collect randomly placed items to build temporary buff stations, soldiers just grind more mobs etc.  There was nothing exciting or special about any of the paths actual gameplay. I think the concept of having a progression bar alongside leveling is brilliant, but their system was very underwhelming for me personally.  

Glad they are staying true so far to pumping out content on a good timetable though, blizzard needs to step up in that department. 

I think they were referring to how the paths work together sometimes in the game, such as the areas where a scientist opens up a secret door for others to access, or an explorer places a spot down for settlers to build buff stations. The solo part of the paths is just a way to level them and feels good for completionists, but where they have the potential to shine is by allowing team work to achieve things together in a non-combat manner.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I take it you have not experienced some of the more complex path content. As a settler, I repaired a broken teleporter which anyone can use for a set amount of time. The teleporter took me to a cave where I found a bunch of broken robots. I repaired them all but needed a scientist to get them working. I asked in zone chat and a scientist grouped up and charged up 8 robots making a small army. Now what... we clicked around and noticed a valve of some sort that we couldnt do anything with. We asked in zone chat and a soldier came down to join us, pulled the valve and a bunch of mutant worm things came out of the walls. We fended them off with the help of the robots and got a ton of xp, an achievement, and a vendor npc showed up with some level appropriate blue gear.

I think the path system is a great way for letting players interact with each other and the environment in ways that go beyond tank,heal,dps. Its exciting that this system is in place as a core aspect because the possibilities are practically endless.

• BooksBooks Member Posts: 80
    Will the patch finally keep me from getting motion sick when I look at the game for more than 5 minutes?
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

A release so soon after game release is a good strategy to grab extra hype and headlines, but I can't help but feel the game suffered overall to bring this. Leveling up is the most boring experience I've had in an MMO in a long time short of ESO.

Unfortunately I guess Wildstar is going for quantity over quality.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
    new update already?!? im only level 30... gotta pick up the pace
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

I take it you have not experienced some of the more complex path content. As a settler, I repaired a broken teleporter which anyone can use for a set amount of time. The teleporter took me to a cave where I found a bunch of broken robots. I repaired them all but needed a scientist to get them working. I asked in zone chat and a scientist grouped up and charged up 8 robots making a small army. Now what... we clicked around and noticed a valve of some sort that we couldnt do anything with. We asked in zone chat and a soldier came down to join us, pulled the valve and a bunch of mutant worm things came out of the walls. We fended them off with the help of the robots and got a ton of xp, an achievement, and a vendor npc showed up with some level appropriate blue gear.

I think the path system is a great way for letting players interact with each other and the environment in ways that go beyond tank,heal,dps. Its exciting that this system is in place as a core aspect because the possibilities are practically endless.

lol nice story :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

So the tl:dr for this is:

"They're re-using zones, had this content done long ago but saved it so they could hype it up as an addition to the game, and it mostly features "new hats and decorations" but so what, shut up!!!!"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Since wildstar has so much content that many think there's actually too much going on, this habitual whining is misplaced here.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    For those who can't patch repair the client, restart your pc and run as admin and click repair again fixed it for me. I hope this helps atleast 1 person who has been having problems with this.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by Books
    Will the patch finally keep me from getting motion sick when I look at the game for more than 5 minutes?

For many people prone to motion sickness in video games, getting the custom FOV addon for Wildstar and changing the FOV up to 70+ can help a great deal (I know from first hand experience).

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by SethiusX

For many people prone to motion sickness in video games, getting the custom FOV addon for Wildstar and changing the FOV up to 70+ can help a great deal (I know from first hand experience).

GTX 760's have tons of  frame drops and will slowdown from stuff like fog.  Even 780's report big drops in heavy towns and the like.

So you might want to make sure you have a monster before you start using custom stuff..

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Open dungeons in ESO are pathetic excuses for open dungeons don't give any credit to ZeniMax. Put Vanguards dungeons up against ESO and you will see just how pathetic ESO public dungeons are.

Originally posted by zellmer
    Originally posted by SethiusX

GTX 760's have tons of  frame drops and will slowdown from stuff like fog.  Even 780's report big drops in heavy towns and the like.

So you might want to make sure you have a monster before you start using custom stuff..

My Radeon 6970 has no difference in fps between the custom FOV addon on or off. My second computer has a GTX 750, and there is no difference in fps between this addon on or off either. If you have a different computer, I cannot guarantee it won't affect you, but this is my experience.

• ValentinelessValentineless Member Posts: 51
    content update already. i am impress with carbine speed of this, most probably the next one would not be as hasty as this in the first month of release. if so, then more points to them. but keep up the work

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Public dungeon?? Woo hoo!!! I always preferred those to the instanced, group-locked ones.

Games with awesome public dungeons: AO, DAoC, the two EQ's, and SWG. I never will understand why they were forgotten for so long and why WoW never got one.

The fluff stuff is nice too. I am also hoping that there will be tons of fixes too and I have no doubt that there will be.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• darkness2468darkness2468 Member UncommonPosts: 47

The big turn off for me is i cannot get into there new combat system there should of been an rpg sttyle its a shame i managed to get to 23 but i guess thsts it.

Depressing really i do like the game but there should be other options for combat movement over games have done it.

Im going to name a recent one swordman online.

Choices should be given.

• RolleZRolleZ Member UncommonPosts: 42
    They should fix the darn game before adding crap. (memory crashes/BSOD/reboots performance issues etc.)
  • BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by RolleZ
    They should fix the darn game before adding crap. (memory crashes/BSOD/reboots performance issues etc.)

Weird cause i haven't had any of those things  while playing... 

I suggest you check your pc.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!