Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF is up with the auto-walking feature?

2»

Comments

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    I noticed this feature is many Asian mmos. It seems to be something they are really into. This is one reason among many why I simply cannot get into Asian mmos. The cultural differences in consumer expectations are too different.

Doesn't seem that different to me.. just as many saying its not a big deal as those saying it is.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

Funny thread. How exactly is auto walking immersion breaking?

How is it really much different than taking a carriage,airship,boat or auto horse  in so many other games? People do walk to get from point A to point B in the real world too! How many people stand around then say a couple magic words and 'Poof" they are instantly home?

OP sounds more like they are just finding reasons to pick at something. After all the solution is extremely simple...if you don't like it, don't use it. But I personally think it is more realistic to see people walking along the road then bunny hopping threw the forest.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

That video shows the auto-walking to destination as well as stating there isn't any type of teleport or fast-travel system (except death) which I like.  As long as they are able to balance the distance and the wanted perception of size for the world, it will be fine.  I also think it fits in well with the trade system, as mentioned before, which has regionalized storehouses and auction houses.

Gives a bit more into the depth of the core game and it impresses me quite a bit.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by bcbully

I love auto path in games where I have to quest or travel long distances. Click where I'm headed, pan around and look at the scenery. 

I don't get why anyone would have a problem with it.

Because if the game is boring enough to feature something to make traveling easier it might as well feature fast travel.  Forced time constraints are one of my biggest turn offs in an MMO.  Anything that artificially makes you slow down is an anathema  to me.

travel in an open world gives it size and perspective. Fast travel kills that and it may as well just be instanced. The only other way to remove the distance is make the game so linear that you never have to do anything but go forward.

If you really put it into perspective auto walk is like any other form of automated travel mmos have had in the past. Ships, gryphons, horses have all been automated in past mmos but they only went from point A to point B. Having the ability to set your own way points is the only real change this has made but people act like it's something new never before seen and a blow to all mmos ever made when really it's just expanding on what has always been offered.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Quesa

That video shows the auto-walking to destination as well as stating there isn't any type of teleport or fast-travel system (except death) which I like.  As long as they are able to balance the distance and the wanted perception of size for the world, it will be fine.  I also think it fits in well with the trade system, as mentioned before, which has regionalized storehouses and auction houses.

Gives a bit more into the depth of the core game and it impresses me quite a bit.

Yep I agree in some ways.  It is better than teleporting, that's a good thing at least.  Mostly what I object to (as I've talked about a few times above) are things which are immersion breaking.  What sucks  is when you are taken out of the mind of your avatar, and your avatar begins to do things without you.  That I see as the very definition immersion breaking.

We'll see though. In most ways I think it's a shame, and Archeage has really opened my eyes as to how fantastic it can be to be forced to travel around in the world, instead of fast travel which a few of the MMOs I've played lately seem to favor.  

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Torcip

It's an Asian MMO, anything to make the botters job easier is awesome...

No but really, it's just something all Asian MMOs seem to have for some reason and that's likely not going to change.

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    Originally posted by gelraen

I've been so hyped for this game and devouring all of the information that I can on it. But then yesterday I came across a video detailing that you can set your character to auto-walk from one point to another.  WTF!   That's so lame, I can't believe they'd include a feature like that.  All of the trouble that they've gone to to create this detailed, immersive world.  All of talk they've been doing about creating a virtual reality where you can really live and get involved with the world.  Then they include an immersion breaking auto-pilot like that.  Doesn't that seem like a bizarre inclusion to anyone else?

Pretty disappointing, imho.

You cant really judge the feature until you play the game for a month or so. Autowalking helps in such MMORPGS because sometimes you have to run the same path too many times, and it gets very boring, so instead, you set it to autowalk while you browse the net or eat some food.

And if your real problem here is immersion break, which I doubt, then just dont use the autowalk = no immersion break.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Neat video, looks like a lot of fun to me.

IMO the auto walk doesn't really matter at all. If I had to choose between that and "teleport anywhere" like in GW2 i'll take the auto walk every single time.

Its a fun and fair compromise imo.

If anything is going to ruin Black Desert, this isn't it.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Kirexy

Played the beta, was initially disappointed by figuring it out. But, the auto walk feature isn't that bad because they made it logical. Taking the auto walk feature may not always be the optimal way to reach a destination, because auto walk always makes you travel by road. So if you want to go to a specific area, auto walk will sometimes take a looong turn instead of just crossing some kind of field.

What this does is that you essentially only use auto walk when you travel from town to town, since you would be using the roads anyway.  Most of the times, moving manually is the fastest way to travel. And you can also run into things using auto walk....

There are two main reasons why I think this REALLy sucks in terms of keeping the world realistic and immersive. Firstly, I think it's very important to immersion to see other people in the world - whether they're just traveling between towns, fighting in nearby bushes, fishing on the side of a lake, whatever.  Just seeing people other makes it feel like a living breathing world.  The presence of an auto-walk feature undermines this immersion - making you doubt that the people running down the road are even playing game at all = most likely they are AFK running between point A and point B, breaking the illusion of the living world.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with making the player actually control their way between destinations.  I've been lately playing a lot of the Archeage english alpha, and that game is quite hardcore about travel - you need to control your character across the land and sea pretty well all of the time.  The side effect of this is that Archeage is actually the most immersive MMO I've ever played (and I've played most).  Almost always when traveling to a distance destination, some sort of adventure will unfold and I'll get caught up with things happening in the world.  This goes a long way to making the world feel alive.

Anyway, I'm quite sad that Black Desert will go this route, and quite surprised.  It seems to me that everything else in the game is build so carefully with immersion in mind.  

Two problems that I see with your arguments.

1) People walking along a road or sidewalk is immersive.  It's far less immersive for us to see people running through other peoples yards, across the street or over rooftops.  If you think it's important to see people in the world to maintain immersion, then people walking along the road is far more immersive than say, teleporting from one area to another or hopping on a transport ship.  People walking along the road MAKES the world feel more immersive and alive, as if the world is living and breathing beyond the players characters running around jumping ever two seconds.

2) No, there is nothing wrong with having players manually move from one area to the other just as there is nothing wrong with having someone use a teleporter or transporter-on-rails to get from one point to the other.  How is teleporting immersive over seeing people traveling along a path designated for travel?  I actually think this is a novel idea where one can travel, at a much slower rate, automatically while still adding immersive elements to the game (the character becomes an immersive element during this travel) versus clicking on a teleporter to automatically transfer you to another area or hopping on a railed transport that runs back and forth.  

I think you are completely ignoring how this will improve the immersion and the look and feel of the game.

i cant agree more with this post, they made a mechanic like autoRun to support a really immersive environment, while the same time the player is able to go afk or relax... i dunno what else the OP expected ... does he has anything better to offer ?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I've been so hyped for this game and devouring all of the information that I can on it. But then yesterday I came across a video detailing that you can set your character to auto-walk from one point to another.  WTF!   That's so lame, I can't believe they'd include a feature like that.  All of the trouble that they've gone to to create this detailed, immersive world.  All of talk they've been doing about creating a virtual reality where you can really live and get involved with the world.  Then they include an immersion breaking auto-pilot like that.  Doesn't that seem like a bizarre inclusion to anyone else?Pretty disappointing, imho.

You do not like auto-pathing? Do not use it. Problem solved...?

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by loulaki

1) People walking along a road or sidewalk is immersive.  It's far less immersive for us to see people running through other peoples yards, across the street or over rooftops.  If you think it's important to see people in the world to maintain immersion, then people walking along the road is far more immersive than say, teleporting from one area to another or hopping on a transport ship.  People walking along the road MAKES the world feel more immersive and alive, as if the world is living and breathing beyond the players characters running around jumping ever two seconds.

2) No, there is nothing wrong with having players manually move from one area to the other just as there is nothing wrong with having someone use a teleporter or transporter-on-rails to get from one point to the other.  How is teleporting immersive over seeing people traveling along a path designated for travel?  I actually think this is a novel idea where one can travel, at a much slower rate, automatically while still adding immersive elements to the game (the character becomes an immersive element during this travel) versus clicking on a teleporter to automatically transfer you to another area or hopping on a railed transport that runs back and forth.  

I think you are completely ignoring how this will improve the immersion and the look and feel of the game.

i cant agree more with this post, they made a mechanic like autoRun to support a really immersive environment, while the same time the player is able to go afk or relax... i dunno what else the OP expected ... does he has anything better to offer ?

Yes, if you'd bothered to read the thread, I've mentioned a less immersion breaking alternative a couple of times.  I think there could be many different alternatives which didn't directly release control of the character, while still offering faster travel.

How about you offer a reason why you think autoRun "really supports" an immersive environment - I'm curious why?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

How about you offer a reason why you think autoRun "really supports" an immersive environment - I'm curious why?

So feature is there to either support or break immersion? There is no other function for the feature or neutral state?

Dat b&w perception...

Your complain about autopathing is ridiculous and moot as is your suggested "alternative" - if people are encouraged to take predetermined paths, you can just implement auto-pathing as you won't notice the difference from the outside view.