Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes Black Desert a sandbox?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I know I can just do the research myself, but it honestly is simpler to ask. I'm pressed for time!

What makes Black Desert a Sandbox MMO?

How big is the world?

World Housing?

PvP?

Thanks!

Comments

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I just asked the same question two threads down :p
  • LeNinjaKittenLeNinjaKitten Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I know I can just do the research myself, but it honestly is simpler to ask. I'm pressed for time!

How big is the world?

World Housing?

PvP?

Thanks!

The world map takes approximately 2 hours real time to cross from one side to the other. There's no teleportation of any sort so it must be traveled by foot or mount.

Housing is pre-built and instanced, or what PA refers to as "Phased" - This means houses are accessible in the open-world making it possible to explore the inside, however the player inserted content (decorations and such) are visible only to the player that purchased the home. No loading screen is required to view a player's "phase" of a house. Because of this, multiple players can purchase the same home. It has been stated that there may be limited un-phased/instanced housing in the future.

PvP is 100% open-world. PA plans to implement an Arena but no details on this have been released aside from they are unsure whether the Arena will be open-world or instanced.

PvP is probably the most notable Sandbox feature of Black Desert. Guilds have the ability to control certain areas of a map by seiging and claiming a castle. Once taken they can place Taxes on the surrounding Towns which effect all players.

Black Desert also has no instanced content aside from the phased housing and possibly Arena - the game has no loading screens once you log in. All raid bosses and dungeons are open-world.

As stated in sera's thread asking the same question there's also the trading caravans players must partake in to transport goods from one city to another.

www.EminentHQ.com - Competitive PvP Black Desert Online Guild
    i haven't seen much on the crafting and commerce aspects of this game which needs to be pretty big if it wants to be a community based game sandbox
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by LeNinjaKitten
    Originally posted by Dauzqul I know I can just do the research myself, but it honestly is simpler to ask. I'm pressed for time!   What makes Black Desert a Sandbox MMO?   How big is the world? World Housing? PvP?   Thanks!
    The world map takes approximately 2 hours real time to cross from one side to the other. There's no teleportation of any sort so it must be traveled by foot or mount.

Housing is pre-built and instanced, or what PA refers to as "Phased" - This means houses are accessible in the open-world making it possible to explore the inside, however the player inserted content (decorations and such) are visible only to the player that purchased the home. No loading screen is required to view a player's "phase" of a house. Because of this, multiple players can purchase the same home. It has been stated that there may be limited un-phased/instanced housing in the future.

PvP is 100% open-world. PA plans to implement an Arena but no details on this have been released aside from they are unsure whether the Arena will be open-world or instanced.

PvP is probably the most notable Sandbox feature of Black Desert. Guilds have the ability to control certain areas of a map by seiging and claiming a castle. Once taken they can place Taxes on the surrounding Towns which effect all players.

Black Desert also has no instanced content aside from the phased housing and possibly Arena - the game has no loading screens once you log in. All raid bosses and dungeons are open-world.

As stated in sera's thread asking the same question there's also the trading caravans players must partake in to transport goods from one city to another.

Sounds more like a hybrid. I'm curious to see how phased housing works. Could be a pretty nice solution to not having true open world housing.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

If it is or isn't a sandbox really doesn't matter to me.  

Would rather have this game ... right this minute... than all of the other games combined.  Sadly we won't see it here for at least 2 years or more.

Originally posted by Foobarx

Would rather have this game ... right this minute... than all of the other games combined.  Sadly we won't see it here for at least 2 years or more.

sounds like they almost got a publisher locked so probably will be a bit sooner than that.. but i just can't find a whole lot of info on the actual game systems to get that excited about it aside from the neat looking combat and great looking character models..

Originally posted by seraphynx
    i haven't seen much on the crafting and commerce aspects of this game which needs to be pretty big if it wants to be a community based game sandbox

Crafting actually plays a pretty big role in the game. You can progress through the game almost 100% by only taking advantage of the Economy.

It has such a big role that Guilds are even signified into 2 categories:

1. Combat (PvP/PvE)

2. Economy (Trading & Crafting)

There was a third one (Religion) but it has be removed.

When you select your guild's category (or role), you can learn Guild Skills as your guild progresses and levels - These skills are dependent on the selected guild role, so you'll either obtain skills geared more for combat or more for economy.

Here's is a Crafting guide with some Tutorial videos (in English) if you're interested:

http://www.eminencebdo.com/forum/m/23223519/viewthread/13152568-gathering-crafting

I honestly don't see the EN release taking more than 1.5 years tops.

This "2 years" rumor is derived from an article posted on MXDWN. Honestly it's an extremely unreliable article. A lot of the information stated in it is simply wrong - in fact PA answered similar questions the day before stating the opposite. Not to mention less than a year ago PA responded to a user comment on their Facebook stating that a 2016 EN release would be very bad for the game.

Crafting actually plays a pretty big role in the game. You can progress through the game almost 100% by only taking advantage of the Economy.

1. Combat (PvP/PvE)

When you select your guild's category (or role), you can learn Guild Skills as your guild progresses and levels - These skills are dependent on the selected guild role, so you'll either obtain skills geared more for combat or more for economy.

Here's is a Crafting guide with some Tutorial videos (in English) if you're interested:

http://www.eminencebdo.com/forum/m/23223519/viewthread/13152568-gathering-crafting

I figured it would just seen little on it.. i watched those crafting videos which look pretty good.. interested to see how the whole commerce of the game works and how it ties into the world pvp and territory wars..

1. Combat (PvP/PvE)

I figured it would just seen little on it.. i watched those crafting videos which look pretty good.. interested to see how the whole commerce of the game works and how it ties into the world pvp and territory wars..

Well if you want the best gear for PvP as well as sieging equipment you gotta have a crafting buddy. ;D

1. Combat (PvP/PvE)

Well if you want the best gear for PvP as well as sieging equipment you gotta have a crafting buddy. ;D

yea but really says nothing about how the commerce works in this game which is a pretty huge deal for a game like this.. like what is the supply and demand system.. are certain resources only obtained in certain locations where a guild could control that section and cut off that resource to other players and things like this that add a bit more meaning to the open world PVP aside from just controlling some areas that let you adjust taxes

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

sounds like they almost got a publisher locked so probably will be a bit sooner than that.. but i just can't find a whole lot of info on the actual game systems to get that excited about it aside from the neat looking combat and great looking character models..

Jesus...really?

Did you at least TRIED to look for the info?? There is like 6 diferent threads discussing every feature there is on this site only on the very first 2 thread pages

Well heres my thread I made which covers basicaly everything we know

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/944/view/forums/thread/412753/Steparus-very-indepth-review-of-closed-beta-2-lots-of-cool-info.html

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Pigozz

If it is or isn't a sandbox really doesn't matter to me.     Would rather have this game ... right this minute... than all of the other games combined.  Sadly we won't see it here for at least 2 years or more.

Jesus...really?

Did you at least TRIED to look for the info?? There is like 6 diferent threads discussing every feature there is on this site only on the very first 2 thread pages

Well heres my thread I made which covers basicaly everything we know

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/944/view/forums/thread/412753/Steparus-very-indepth-review-of-closed-beta-2-lots-of-cool-info.html

All he talks about are neat but all things that could be in a theme park mmo..still haven't seen much of what makes this a sandbox mmo
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

1. Combat (PvP/PvE)

yea but really says nothing about how the commerce works in this game which is a pretty huge deal for a game like this.. like what is the supply and demand system.. are certain resources only obtained in certain locations where a guild could control that section and cut off that resource to other players and things like this that add a bit more meaning to the open world PVP aside from just controlling some areas that let you adjust taxes

This right here is huge for this game. I have only been following it casually, but if you want a meaningful owPvP system, then you need meaningful risk vs reward. Capturing territory to gain control of a tax slider isn't it.

Are all zones (maybe minus starter areas) open to capture by guilds? If so, what about zones containing bosses/dungeons?

Resources control as stated above.

How do NPC Mobs in the area affect controlling Guilds vs Invaders? Do the mobs give the controlling guild an inherent advantage or can invading guilds parlay with the NPCs?

Will there be NPC faction grinds for guilds giving them an advantage in zones where they have high rep?

What about gear in general? - will it break over time? 

Is there loot drop on death? If so, what is the system in place?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

How big is the world?

World Housing?

PvP?

Thanks!

Is there going to be different rule set servers?  Not a fan of open world non-consensual PvP.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

It's about as much as a sandbox as Archeage.

It's no EVE Online for sure, but it's better than most.  It seems MMOs are slowly introducing sandbox like features such as open world PvP, territory control, and important crafting but are stopping short of implementing them in a way that makes the game a sandbox.

It's like the difference between a cheap display sword compared to a hand forged sword.  On the outside they appear to be the same, but try to hit anything with that display sword for an extended period of time and you'll quickly realize the difference.

Originally posted by drakaena

1. Combat (PvP/PvE)

This right here is huge for this game. I have only been following it casually, but if you want a meaningful owPvP system, then you need meaningful risk vs reward. Capturing territory to gain control of a tax slider isn't it.

Are all zones (maybe minus starter areas) open to capture by guilds? If so, what about zones containing bosses/dungeons?

How do NPC Mobs in the area affect controlling Guilds vs Invaders? Do the mobs give the controlling guild an inherent advantage or can invading guilds parlay with the NPCs?

Will there be NPC faction grinds for guilds giving them an advantage in zones where they have high rep?

These are the questions I'm trying to find info for
    That's dissapointing L2 system was OK but I didn't find it that good

Originally posted by drakaena

I'm going to answer these questions but there's something I really want to stress - the game hasn't even finished the Closed Beta testing for it's native region. There's a lot of under-developed content still, and OWPvP is one of them. The first time they ran a siege in CB the system simply didn't work and it had to be rescheduled. The next time it was nothing more than PvPing in a castle. No one has been able to use siege equipment, or construct command buildings (I'm not sure what the purpose of this is but I believe it's related to Guild Tents), or even fight over more than the simple Calpheon castle.

They also plan to develop "Territory Wars" - this is different from Castle Sieges but there's no information available on it and at the current rate I dont see it being available at KR release.

It's been stated that they plan to have 8 controllable castles - this is currently more than the amount of "zones" that are available so I'm going to assume yes.

Controlling a Castle does not effect mobs/bosses, dungeons, resources or anything aside from town taxes (though maybe Territory Wars will?).

Gear has repairable durability which decreases with use (like most games). It's maximum durability also gets decreased with enhancement. You can repair maximum durability by sacrificing an identical item (this may become quite problematic for gear difficult to obtain).

It is possible to drop items on death - this is effected by your Karma (or Tendency). The lower your Karma the higher your chance of dropping an item, or multiple items. There is also the chance of having an enhancement on an item decreased a level.

Originally posted by azzamasin

Is there going to be different rule set servers?  Not a fan of open world non-consensual PvP.

The Russian servers have been given the option to have both PvP and PvE servers.

So the option exists, it will simply be up to the Publisher. I do not know what the specific differences are between PvP and PvE servers. The PvP on/off toggle prevents you from attacking other players (however players can still attack you). My assumption is that on PvE servers this toggle will prevent you from attacking other players as well as prevent players from attacking you.

sounds very much like L2.... hopefully it improves on L2s system a bit i found L2 lacking in that aspect personally
    Originally posted by DMKano

There is no 100% pure sandbox MMORPG in existence.

Many so labeled "sandbox" games like EvE/Wurm/ArcheAge have sandbox features but they are not pure sandbox games.

BlackDesert has some sandbox features sure - but IMO it's nowhere near a sandbox game.

Remember the KEY to sandbox is - players are given tools to create and change all parameters of gameplay (including game rules which is why no MMORPG is a true sandbox).

The less tools are given to players to affect the world and gameplay the less of a sandbox the game is.

I don't considering changing rulesets the defining aspect of a sandbox game...Landmark to me is really only true sandbox game i can think of being made.. players are given all the tools.. will even be able to create dungeons/quests.. everything in that game is based on the players design.. just waiting till they add the rest of the features because right now it's just a building simulator but once it's complete should be a pretty neat sandbox game.. either way I like hybrid games as well like SWG, AC, AA...