Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: The Best of E3 2014 Awards

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It’s that time again, folks - the time of year where E3 has come and gone and we meaninglessly list out our favorite games from the show. Okay, it’s not entirely meaningless. E3 is one of the biggest events in gaming and it’s a great place to get a first look and first hands-on with some of the year’s best and brightest titles. There was quite a lot of back and forth this year, but as always each game can only win one award with Best of Show going to the title we believe represented itself in the most well rounded fashion. So without further ado, here are MMORPG.com’s Best of E3 2014 Awards.

Read more of our Best of E3 2014 Awards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I agree with the choices for the most part. 

I felt that Splatoon looked pretty darn innovative for a 3rd person shooter though. 

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    The Division and H1ZI are the only two I am interested in. If Destiny get ported to PC I will include that too. I'm tired of fantasy so am not particularly interested in those.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

The Division/ Destiny = good placements. no Borderlands2 prequel or Dead Island 2 California= best trailers!?

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

So, basically no "true" MMORPGs, right?  You've got a listening of hybrids, survivor horror games, single player RPGs, and the winner is a console game that's heavily instanced, heavily limited on many aspects that would even make it an MMORPG in the first place.

Congratulations on what seems to be the most pathetic E3 for MMORPGs in...ever? 

The games that are clearly missing and will eventually add proper to the genre are going to be Camelot Unchained,  EverQuest Next, The Repopulation,  and a few others [NO!, I will not list ArcheAge because it's just Englishifying an Asian MMO, which has some of the worse combat I've ever seen.  The combat of the game is 3-steps back from what other companies have done.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    You forgot best in show: Nintendo.  I find it funny that people just write off Nintendo, but it's the console company you don't have problems with UI.  No problems with some lame attempt at voice commands (MS admits they messed up with Kinect with the new $399 version).  And it's the cheapest of the three by $100.  Wii-U is the only console I'll be buying this generation, because it's the only real console left.  The others are computer wannabes, and if I want to play on something like a computer, I might as well just play on my computer that has 10x the power of consoles right?

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Hybrid MMO...is that code for heavily instanced, allot of people playing in small instanced areas?
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Hmm. The Division. After being hyped for Watchdogs and Division, and after seeing what Watchdogs finally looked like and played like, I will confess my interest in The Division has dwindled.

Maybe they can redeem themselves with something more than a juvenile romp through less than promised graphics. I sure hope so.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

Better get used to "hybrid" MMOs, looks like they are the wave of the future, taking other genres (FPS, Driving Games, AcrionRPGs, etc.) and crossing them with various levels of MMO and coming up with something new-ish.

Personally I think this is a good thing, and will bring some new blood into a stagnating genre.

T

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

Watchdogs really didn't interest me at all, but The Division looked great at E3, it was the game I came away most interested in seeing.

T

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

If you like Nintendo make sure to check out Xenoblade Chronicles X. It was a good looking RPG.

Here is a link to some video of it.  
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    If you like Nintendo make sure to check out Xenogear Chronicles X. It was a good looking RPG.

I wish it was called "Xenogears" but its actually Xenoblade, it is a great series.

Originally posted by Siphaed

So, basically no "true" MMORPGs, right?  You've got a listening of hybrids, survivor horror games, single player RPGs, and the winner is a console game that's heavily instanced, heavily limited on many aspects that would even make it an MMORPG in the first place.

Congratulations on what seems to be the most pathetic E3 for MMORPGs in...ever? 

The games that are clearly missing and will eventually add proper to the genre are going to be Camelot Unchained,  EverQuest Next, The Repopulation,  and a few others [NO!, I will not list ArcheAge because it's just Englishifying an Asian MMO, which has some of the worse combat I've ever seen.  The combat of the game is 3-steps back from what other companies have done.

H1Z1 is a true mmorpg

• tedgptedgp Member Posts: 33
    Since when did MMORPG.com's viewws mean anything.   They get paid to give games good ratings.
    Originally posted by Soandsoso
    Hybrid MMO...is that code for heavily instanced, allot of people playing in small instanced areas?

There is no instanceing whatsoever in H1Z1. It is a fully open seamless world that can hold thousands of players.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Seeing as two huge AAA MMOs already launched prior to E3 (Wildstar and ESO) it's not surprising this was more of a hybrid MMO show this year.

Originally posted by tedgp
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

There is no instanceing whatsoever in H1Z1. It is a fully open seamless world that can hold thousands of players.

Its also sandbox

Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Seeing as two huge AAA MMOs already launched prior to E3 (Wildstar and ESO) it's not surprising this was more of a hybrid MMO show this year.

Not surprising either that ESo spectacularly  failed and is going F2P soon, and wildstar is a decent game but Players are twigging on that to play it you pretty much need to be a hardcore player.  It's a niche game at best, similar to H1Z1.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

If you like Nintendo make sure to check out Xenoblade Chronicles X. It was a good looking RPG.

Agreed 100%. For me, Dragon Age Inquistion was barely a blip on the radar - Xenoblade Chronicles X looked amazing, and as another person pointed out above, Nintendo overall really stole the show this year. My personal favorite was Splatoon with its whacky, inky fun.

<3

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I really can't stand early trailers that show no game play what-so-ever and then see people say oohh I'm excited about that. What's to be excited about....that clip could be for anything!

I love it when they add them to the begining of a game or mix in real footage but they piss me off when they try and pass them off as what the game will play like.

As to the list I think most of them are already on gamers watch lists so can't really argue with any of them :)

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    Originally posted by Kaneth

I agree with the choices for the most part. 

I felt that Splatoon looked pretty darn innovative for a 3rd person shooter though. 

Not an mmo or rpg, doesn't belong here, but did look like a cool party shooter. H1Z1 looked horrid.

Since when did MMORPG.com's viewws mean anything.   They get paid to give games good ratings.

You don't get paid to come to this site, if you don't like it  there are plenty other games site. Obviously they are doing something right if you are here posting?

It did look pretty good, think they didn't get as much attention due to the Zelda tease. Im still drooling over the Zelda trailer :) 

• jedi_nightjedi_night Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Stop saying "hybrid mmo". It's not even close. It's a persist at MOG at best. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed games like guild wars, and am looking forward to playing the division...but stop putting a false label on things.

A driving fact of "MMO" is MASSIVE! Having a massive amount of people working together toward goals on ONE server at the same time. These "hybrids" as you sling around, are simply online multiplayer games. By your (and the overal community at large) logic, EVERY game that has thousands of people playing it online, with persistent charachters, crafting, clan functionalty and so on, is an mmo. By your logic games like Call of Duty, Mortal Combat, DOTA and just about EVERY other game in existence right now is an mmo.

I don't dislike any of those games either. I play quite a bit of DOTA, COD, rust etc., but they are NOT mmos. And to all those here younger the me that would like to argue that they are... No, they are not. Games like EQ, wow, eve, planet side, DAOC...these are true to the definition mmos. Not having these facets don't make modern ORPGS bad, but can we pleases stop classifying them what they clearly are not.
  • darksaber8570darksaber8570 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by jedi_night
    Stop saying "hybrid mmo". It's not even close. It's a persist at MOG at best. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed games like guild wars, and am looking forward to playing the division...but stop putting a false label on things.

A driving fact of "MMO" is MASSIVE! Having a massive amount of people working together toward goals on ONE server at the same time. These "hybrids" as you sling around, are simply online multiplayer games. By your (and the overal community at large) logic, EVERY game that has thousands of people playing it online, with persistent charachters, crafting, clan functionalty and so on, is an mmo. By your logic games like Call of Duty, Mortal Combat, DOTA and just about EVERY other game in existence right now is an mmo.

I don't dislike any of those games either. I play quite a bit of DOTA, COD, rust etc., but they are NOT mmos. And to all those here younger the me that would like to argue that they are... No, they are not. Games like EQ, wow, eve, planet side, DAOC...these are true to the definition mmos. Not having these facets don't make modern ORPGS bad, but can we pleases stop classifying them what they clearly are not.

Amen bro... well said I could not have said it any better.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Retired

You don't get paid to come to this site, if you don't like it  there are plenty other games site. Obviously they are doing something right if you are here posting?

There is a conflict of interest when you get paid from one company and then review their game.  This is an incredibly valid point and has created issue in the past.  Remember when Pirate 101 won game of the year at the same time, MMORPG entered into a relationship with the games maker, Kingsisle Entertainment?   Pirate 101 is pretty much lifeless and even back them had minimal players.