Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Skyforge: Hands On At E3 2014

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This time around, the Allods Team studio has enlisted the help of veteran RPG developer Obsidian Entertainment to bring Skyforge to Western Audiences.  This week at E3, we were able to go hands-on with the alpha build of the new MMORPG, and get a feel for the combat and Ascension Atlas: the progression tree for Skyforge’s characters.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Skyforge: Hands on at E3 2014.

The Berserker… going berserk.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I actually liked what I saw of the combat for this game as well.

Sadly, hub-based games are a general no-go for me. I've tried to get into them a number of times, but have always quit them very rapidly (the only one that somewhat succeeded was Global Agenda, which I played  for 100 hours).

A persistent world is just one of the things I "need" in an MMO before it starts to actually feel like ... an MMO. That's a personal sentiment though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Sadly, hub-based games are a general no-go for me. I've tried to get into them a number of times, but have always quit them very rapidly (the only one that somewhat succeeded was Global Agenda, which I played  for 100 hours).

A persistent world is just one of the things I "need" in an MMO before it starts to actually feel like ... an MMO. That's a personal sentiment though.

Agreed. Can't do lobby games.

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    This one looks very promising....talk about an oddball from no-where!
  • Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    So excited for this !! I don't care about "Hub Based" games. Look at Neverwinter and how great their doing.
    Originally posted by wormed

It's not lobby. It's like Neverwinter.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Too early to tell, not any real details on the base game so I will wait and see.
  • Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Who in the world would say Allods is any kind of a hit...   I wish the studio luck but Allods was probably the crappiest game I have ever tried. 
  • seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Allacore69

while i don't mind much as I like vindictous, NW is pretty much a lobby game.. not quite as much as vindictous but really not that far from it.. NW is in no way an "open world" type game like say wow

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Bill I have a question for you - when you say some skills are "lock-on", do you mean TERA style aim, then paint target to lock on, then click again to use the skill, or standard tab target style lock on? Is the game actually built for TERA style reticule aiming, or is it more Wildstar-ish?

I was mildly interested in this game before due to the combat and graphics, but the lack of healers made me very sad as a long time healer. However your description of their role system as "choose your own" as well as the focus on animations instead of hideous and lazy telegraphs is reigniting my interest!

This lock on mechanic, however has me questioning things. I'm a hardcore action combat TERA style fan, so things like GW2 and Wildstar just do not float my boat. Call me picky, but I know what I like!

Originally posted by seraphynx

while i don't mind much as I like vindictous, NW is pretty much a lobby game.. not quite as much as vindictous but really not that far from it.. NW is in no way an "open world" type game like say wow

There's a huge difference between a game like Vindictus and NW. Neverwinter has a game world like any other, it's just each zone is instanced instead of letting you walk between them. Aion did the same thing but was very much a traditional MMO. I'm ok with that style as long as the zones feel big, open, and well designed and the game feels like a standard MMO world. I don't need to walk from zone to zone and with how high quality graphics are in some games, it's just easier to instance the zones. I prefer good graphics to "open world" WoW style to be honest.

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Leiloni

There's a huge difference between a game like Vindictus and NW. Neverwinter has a game world like any other, it's just each zone is instanced instead of letting you walk between them. Aion did the same thing but was very much a traditional MMO. I'm ok with that style as long as the zones feel big, open, and well designed and the game feels like a standard MMO world. I don't need to walk from zone to zone and with how high quality graphics are in some games, it's just easier to instance the zones. I prefer good graphics to "open world" WoW style to be honest.

there's a difference between having loading screens and between zones but making them actually feel connected and part of a full world ie GW2 and how NW does it.. in NW it feels like a lobby game with how the zones are setup and how the skirmishes are basically another instance of the same zones you are playing in lends to it feeling even more so like a lobby game..

NW is more "Zones" than anything. Even though Neverdeath Graveyard is NOT a major hub, you still have vendors and stuff like that and COULD use it for a main hub IF you wanted to. I believe the same will happen with Skyforge.

Bill I have a question for you - when you say some skills are "lock-on", do you mean TERA style aim, then paint target to lock on, then click again to use the skill, or standard tab target style lock on? Is the game actually built for TERA style reticule aiming, or is it more Wildstar-ish?

I was mildly interested in this game before due to the combat and graphics, but the lack of healers made me very sad as a long time healer. However your description of their role system as "choose your own" as well as the focus on animations instead of hideous and lazy telegraphs is reigniting my interest!

This lock on mechanic, however has me questioning things. I'm a hardcore action combat TERA style fan, so things like GW2 and Wildstar just do not float my boat. Call me picky, but I know what I like!

Go to the Skyforge forums section here and check out all the info on the game.  As far a "lock on" it's like DCUO where if you have the choice to use a lock on button such as tab, but it was stated you dont have to. I never do in DCUO. I even turn it off lol.

Remember guy's in Russia, Allods is like WoW to them. It's their #1 mmorpg. Now Gpotato screwed up the NA version by putting in a cash shop and making it P2W.

Gpotato IS NOT THE PUBLISHER ANYMORE. It's Obsidian. 

Obsidian already stated IF they add a cash shop for us it will be cosmetics and the like. No weapons and armor to P2W or anything like that.

Gpotato is owned by Webzen. This is why I will never touch a webzen game ever again.

• tiborbtiborb Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Dragonsfire9
    Who in the world would say Allods is any kind of a hit...   I wish the studio luck but Allods was probably the crappiest game I have ever tried. 

Allods is a GREAT game, ruined by the item shop.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

You're confusing seamless with open.  Neverwinter is zoned but open world MMO.  The zones are non-instanced but are non-seamless.  Whereas WoW is Open World as well as Seamless.  GW1 is the model you're looking for when describing a lobby game.  The only open world is the main cities, all adventuring takes place in instanced areas.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by tiborb
    Originally posted by Dragonsfire9 Who in the world would say Allods is any kind of a hit...   I wish the studio luck but Allods was probably the crappiest game I have ever tried. 

Thank god Obsidian is publishing the game. Poor Gpotato is stuck with webzen making their games P2W.

• Tr3izeTr3ize Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by tiborb
    Originally posted by Dragonsfire9

Very true, Allods was great when I started playing it during beta and gradually degraded as the cash shop got more and more items in it.

Eventually Incense got changed to only available in the cash shop and I quit the game. For those not knowing the game, Incense is basically a powerful buff you could get when using an item or going to an NPC, so powerful you could do higher lvl quests with ease. When they changed it to a cash shop item, they also nerfed everything, effectively making people unable to quest decently without Incense.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

allods was interesting but so mismanaged it's not even funny

might have had a shot at being the best wow clone

Go to the Skyforge forums section here and check out all the info on the game.  As far a "lock on" it's like DCUO where if you have the choice to use a lock on button such as tab, but it was stated you dont have to. I never do in DCUO. I even turn it off lol.

Yea I've been to their forums but Bill has actually played the game, so a first hand impression will be much better.

• OfficialSkyforgeOfficialSkyforge Member Posts: 8

We think that you should try it out before you decide it's not the game for you (although the beta hasn't started yet).  The "hub" as you put it more of a fast travel system rather than a simple mission selector.  

It's not quite "lock-on and attack" combat.  The combat design is inspired by the top features of the best action and fighting games. It's essentially "mouselook" control, with optional direct targeting, enables players to deal breathtaking combo strikes, devastating finishing attacks and show off their larger than life powers. You will dive into dynamic battles, both entertaining and satisfying!

Remember guy's in Russia, Allods is like WoW to them. It's their #1 mmorpg. Now Gpotato screwed up the NA version by putting in a cash shop and making it P2W.

Gpotato IS NOT THE PUBLISHER ANYMORE. It's Obsidian. 

Obsidian already stated IF they add a cash shop for us it will be cosmetics and the like. No weapons and armor to P2W or anything like that.

Gpotato is owned by Webzen. This is why I will never touch a webzen game ever again.

To clarify: Skyforge is being jointly developed by Allods Team in collaboration with Obsidian Entertainment. It's being published by My.com which is part of the Mail.ru group.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Adopting FFX's class design build is interesting.FFXI's one character for all classes is also very good.

The bad side has already been witnessed first hand in other games.Instant class switching cheapens the feel of a class,example i don't like the instant class switching in FFXIV..I actually liked having to go home in FFXI to change classes.

I hope it is not like NW or a few other games where you have very limited spells/abilities.

10 starting classes is good IF they have extensive tools,again not like NW where you have basically 3/4/5 choices.

GROUPING is the key,the modern era of games have totally forgotten why they make it a MMO.Example do each class perform class abilities in a group or is it basically everyone soloing inside the group.Example do we rely on your healer,your tank,buffs and debuffs ect ect.

I really look at a game like NW because limited choices just had me hitting a few buttons over and over and every new ability just basically replaced an old one.It was fun for about a month then i got bored and seems everyone else did as well.If grouping is done well it creates friends and keeps players coming back because no matter what anyone says,soloing gets boring real fast.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    wow this realy good i cant wait