Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Made It To Level 12... *sigh*

umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Perhaps you guys can help me here.

I'm an MMO gamer. Long time. I've played since I was a 9 when UO came out. Later I got roped into Evercrack and WoW has been my off-and-on mistress for a long time. I may stray, trying other MMOs that attempt to be like WoW but slightly different. For a variety of reasons, within a month, I'm convinced these games are always trying to Out-WoW WoW and just failing miserably.

I've seen Wildstar hyped for awhile now. I assumed this game would be like all the rest. I will not use the term "WoW-Clone" as some consider it a very loaded, hatefilled term. Needless to say, however, I saw the same amount of "WoW Influence" that other games have had and didn't do so hot, like Rift. Despite this, Wildstar did so much better than ESO. It was praised by many as fresh, fun, innovative and interesting. A free guest pass fell on my lap... so I said screw it, maybe I'm wrong.

Well, got to level 12 Stalker Exile Human... and just couldn't take it anymore. 

From the marching from quest hub to quest hub... to seeing hundreds of players and never having need to speak to any of them... to rushing from point A to point B... to pushing 2 buttons to blow up every mob I'm looking it... moving out of ridiculously loudly telegraphed attacks (or not, not like the enemy lives long enough to kill me even if I do nothing)

This is the same game I just left. 

By level 12, I was just bored to tears. I felt like I was wasting my time. It was like playing a WoW alt - just wasting time I could be using to play my main. Moverover, I missed my guild - the friendships I made. I spent half the time talking to them on TS. They'd ask me: "So, how's Wildstar?"   And I'd reply. "Not much different than WoW."

Don't get me wrong - pound for pound, I think the combat is an improvement and I could sit there double jumping for a few minutes. That was a great addition. But is this what I'm supposed to pay $60 dollars for? Why? Why don't I just save $45 this month and renew my WoW sub. 

So I guess I'm asking... what is it about Wildstar that's unique, that's made you shell out $60 with no regrets? Moreover, what is it about WoW that you hate so much and that this game fixed? I honestly want to know. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this **** and should just accept that I've outgrown the genre. Lord knows enough people have just said: "MMOs don't sound like your thing."... but if they knew how I felt when I played UO for the first 1-2 years, Evercrack for 3 more, and WoW when new content hits, I think they'd have a hard time saying that. 

But WoW's serving up a 15 month content draught and I want to feel excitement again! So why isn't Wildstar making my pulse beat above 40 here? 

Thank you for reading. 

Comments

• KaidenXIIIKaidenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by umcorian

But WoW's serving up a 15 month content draught and I want to feel excitement again! So why isn't Wildstar making my pulse beat above 40 here? 

Because you are dead inside .................. from trying to much overhyped and undelivering games.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

your only lvl 12 that took what ....3 hours

did you try the pvp, or lvl to 15 for the adventures, or lvl to 20 for the dungeons, or unlock housing...not to mention the endgame. The pve over-world follows the wow model, this has been known and if you had done any research at all you would know this.

since you play wow:

it would be like someone starting that game and playing to westfall or the barrens and critiquing an entire game based on that experience.

whether you eventually like the game or not is irrelevant if you don't even give the game a chance since you've formed an opinion based entirely on a fraction of a percent of the content.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Pemmin

did you try the pvp, or lvl to 15 for the adventures, or lvl to 20 for the dungeons, or unlock housing...not to mention the endgame. The pve over-world follows the wow model, this has been known and if you had done any research at all you would know this.

since you play wow:

it would be like someone starting that game and playing to westfall or the barrens and critiquing an entire game based on that experience.

whether you eventually like the game or not is irrelevant if you don't even give the game a chance since you've formed an opinion based entirely on a fraction of a percent of the content.

I'm not critiquing the whole game. All I said was I got to level 12 and was very bored.  Obviously, didn't try the things I need to be higher level for and I'm not much of a PvPer, but I'll give it a go. 

And, no - it took about 6-7 hours. I messed around on a couple of other characters (Esper and Medic) to see which class I liked the feel of better from the get go. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I didn't like the game so I didn't play it. Some times you just have to admit that it's not the game, it's you and move on.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I played CB and agree with you....I couldnt get past level 15....it was so boring, cliche and railed.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

... I'm not critiquing the whole game. ...

But you do. Revealed your opinion is.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

since you play wow:

I'm not critiquing the whole game. All I said was I got to level 12 and was very bored.  Obviously, didn't try the things I need to be higher level for and I'm not much of a PvPer, but I'll give it a go. 

And, no - it took about 6-7 hours. I messed around on a couple of other characters (Esper and Medic) to see which class I liked the feel of better from the get go. 

I don't know too many MMO's that cause me to say "I'm having the best time of my life right now" at level 12.

Unless its hype driven.

Make it to a higher level, maybe then you will enjoy it. Carbine didn't fuel their hype cannon to full capacity before they launched their game. It is what it is.

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129
    None of the classes grabbed me. Can't play the game if I don't enjoy the classes. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

A game can have a list of things it does different but if the way of progression is solo fed ex questing then it wont matter. We have to start speaking with our wallets and stop buying these types of games. We are just as much to blame as the devs for making the same types of games over and over year after year. I hope every game that comes out like this fails fast and hard because that's what they deserve.  image

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

As sad as this may sound to some,.. but WoW still has more social interaction then most other MMOs on the market.

Social interaction is what makes a MMO interesting. And don't let the trolls tell you otherwise. MMOs played solo are just skyrims with weak grafics (drawback taken for massive multiplayer and usually taken without regret).

There is just no reason to play the current gen of solo - "MM"Os. Since you are a older player like me and started with UO, EQ and WoW, you will not find any enjoyment in anything else but those games.

• EQ still has that social game, that farming, those open dungeons and world bosses. Meaninful crafting and progression BEFORE highest level.
    • WoW still has the same nice raids and instances and there are plenty of nice guilds around for everything you want to focus on.
    • UO i don't know,... to be honest i forgot about it once i saw Everquest and i still come back to EQ and WoW only ;-)
    There is no replacement yet, and i don't see a promising replacement on the horizon either sadly. Just return to the fun games, or stop MMOs, since MMOs "we" used to love are no longer in production.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

im stuck at 25 on my warrior, 16 on medic, 9 on stalker and 6 on spellslinger...

i never play alts but i can't seem to want to log in and play this game, i don't know. i want to like it and i think that i do in fact like it but for some reason I can't bring myself to start questing again. maybe i burnt myself out rushing to VR6 in ESO in less than a week when that game came out and still haven't recovered,  i don't know.

i'm having trouble wanting to play any games right now though so it might not just be wildstar. i log into something for 5 minutes, sit there and stare at the screen wondering what i want to do and then just log out and go do something else. like that for every game... kinda feels like burnout.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Going form Themepark MMO to another will generate a lot of boredom. You should really mix up the game genre if you start to feel bored with one type.

I think playing WoW and then moving into WS will definately bore you because it's just another themepark. 

Go try one of the upcoming sandboxes, or even an existing one. should get you out of the MMO doldrums for a bit.

For me i was coming off of playing ArcheAge Alpha and the Russian release so i needed a bit of the old Themeyparky, WS is just different enough for me to enjoy it.

TESO... umm well i wont even go there, but it was bad enough for me to not even include it as a Themepark or Sandbox, more like a forced labor camp.

Lolipops !

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Maybe try a different class...I started with medic got to 16.  I dont exactly like it at the moment like, but wanted to be a healing class.  Usually i play a rogue class so i made a stalker.  Stalker for me is 100x easier than medic.  You can stealth past mobs and much faster killing.  It is kinda boring in a sense and as a melee class the first world boss is very difficult to even get close enough to hit.  The stalker is going to be my money farming alt.  He has mining and survivalist just to get/sell wood/ore/leather.  If people are bored of WoW i dont see how they wouldnt like wildstar, but who knows.  Maybe people are just bored of the genre in general.  Just too much stuff on the market now a days.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

From the marching from quest hub to quest hub... to seeing hundreds of players and never having need to speak to any of them... to rushing from point A to point B... to pushing 2 buttons to blow up every mob I'm looking it... moving out of ridiculously loudly telegraphed attacks (or not, not like the enemy lives long enough to kill me even if I do nothing)

You are supposed to enjoy that kind of stuff. It's the popular choice therefore it's the only way to play. 

But about the overhype thing.. Haven't we seen this before? Like with EVERY single MMORPG release? We are thirsty! Gamers in general are very thirsty (look at how many people are playing, enjoying and planning on buying that BF4 mod Hardline for 60 bucks, but thats besides the point)

Bottom line is, if you fall for the hype because you are afraid you will miss something or you feel you just HAVE to run with the herd, it is your own issue. The game nor it's players can or will fix that for you, ever..

Don't worry umcorian, sometimes it's okay to be different man.. You see that herd praising that game that YOU KNOW you've seen and played before, you don't HAVE to follow suite simply because they are the greater and you are the lesser. Stick to your guns and while all the big name reviews and praise come forth during launch month, just find yourself a nice single player game and lose yourself. Just check Steam, tons of nice long indie games to get lost in RPG wise..

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    The more I hear about Archeage the more it sounds like the next game I will sink my teeth into. Wildstar I just keep thinking: "WTF am I doing, what is this, who is that, is this fun?, that was cool!, am I having fun with this?, That boss was incredibly difficult, that 3+ group boss was surprisingly easy..." "Hoverboard!" Oh and my personal favorite lately in PvP: "cool the guy was right in front of me and I use my cone-shaped knockdown and.....yep, it didn't work, fantastic!! but thankfully it's on cooldown for another 25 seconds..."
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP - should have tried the betas.

I did and I found WS one of the most boring MMORPGs I've played in 15 years - which is why I never bought it.

My 2c - NEVER buy a MMO before trying first - just don't do it.

exactly! i actually wanted to like the game.. but i could'nt find anything appealing

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    You aren't bored of the game, acording to your post,you missed wow and your guild so......im not a psychiatrist but i did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I don't know too many MMO's that cause me to say "I'm having the best time of my life right now" at level 12.

UO,  Earth and Beyond, DDO WOW and to a lesser degree EVE all made me say that.   These were all games that I literally could not stop playing until I was exhausted.    Earth and Beyond almost killed me the first few days I had it.

I am with the OP completely.  There are minor differences, but most games have that same ´trudge to the next quest hub´  feel to them.   Every game since WOW was released has the same progression, one quest hub to the next, one zone to the next.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Welcome to why WoW clones fail.  Why would I leave behind my friends, characters, stories, resources, relationships and a world I've invested years in to start all over with nothing in a new game that is exactly the same.
  • steelslingasteelslinga Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by KaidenXIII

Because you are dead inside .................. from trying to much overhyped and undelivering games.

Bingo! you fell for the pretty colors and all that crap about "next gen!"  did you get to beta test? did you bother to read the forums and see how many bad reviews it had?

I did 1 beta weekend, maybe 1-2 hours next beta weekend and didn't bother for my 3rd beta weekend invite. to me it just looked weak.. and to pre order plus sub... no chance in hell but thanks.

people need to quit throwing money at shiny new things just because you read some bs that the devs posted.. if you have been gaming that long I am guessing that you like myself bought into SWTOR or TSW.... great games but after that mistake I refuse to buy anything that promises to be "next gen!" or fall for promises made by devs and companies..  I've said it before in posts here about " are you going to buy wildstar or elder scrolls online?" neither ...

try it before you buy it.. if you don't get that option.. then play something else...just read on this website that Line of defense package is 99$ and they brush it off to "that way only serious testers will buy in" pure bs.

last year sucked for new games being launched... this year we are swamped and the forums are packed with threads like this.. slow down .. put your credit card away son... find something to keep you busy till a few of the higher end F2P mmo's launch later this year.. then you can try it and if you like it you dump some cash in..

while i'm on the subject of throwing money around... forget kickstarter also... I quit chasing dreams a long time ago and i'm sure as hell not about to fund someone elses...

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Just say it. It's ANOTHER WoW clone.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    @OP..  It sounds like you're just burned out.  Try a different genre?  Maybe try something else besides video games?  Take up some projects and hobbies for a year or two, then come back to the genre, and it will feel fresh again.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by steelslinga
    Originally posted by KaidenXIII

Bingo! you fell for the pretty colors and all that crap about "next gen!"  did you get to beta test? did you bother to read the forums and see how many bad reviews it had?

I did 1 beta weekend, maybe 1-2 hours next beta weekend and didn't bother for my 3rd beta weekend invite. to me it just looked weak.. and to pre order plus sub... no chance in hell but thanks.

people need to quit throwing money at shiny new things just because you read some bs that the devs posted.. if you have been gaming that long I am guessing that you like myself bought into SWTOR or TSW.... great games but after that mistake I refuse to buy anything that promises to be "next gen!" or fall for promises made by devs and companies..  I've said it before in posts here about " are you going to buy wildstar or elder scrolls online?" neither ...

try it before you buy it.. if you don't get that option.. then play something else...just read on this website that Line of defense package is 99$ and they brush it off to "that way only serious testers will buy in" pure bs.

last year sucked for new games being launched... this year we are swamped and the forums are packed with threads like this.. slow down .. put your credit card away son... find something to keep you busy till a few of the higher end F2P mmo's launch later this year.. then you can try it and if you like it you dump some cash in..

He did mention the free guest pass, son.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

If I got bored trying to get to 12 or beyond, it's not a game for me. I have a hard time understanding why people say "you have to get further" in any game. No...I don't. I have to like it from the start. Why? Cause there's tons of games to play. 12 seems early to quit, but in certain games it takes longer to reach 12 than others. If you can reach 12 in 30 minutes, boring IMO.

Stop telling others what to like. If they get bored and wonder what the deal is, they may have a point. Whether you are a huge fan of the game or not.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by observer
    @OP..  It sounds like you're just burned out.  Try a different genre?  Maybe try something else besides video games?  Take up some projects and hobbies for a year or two, then come back to the genre, and it will feel fresh again.

It's easy to blame the person for their lack of interest, I've been accused of being burnt out but actually it was just the games being so incredibly dull that I was fed up of. Only two themepark games have held my interest; Lord of the Rings Online, back before everything became solo friendly and you needed people to do Book quests and other areas. That and The Secret World, which gave me the freedom I enjoy, I could pick up quests from wherever I wanted rather than following a chain as is usual in the genre, plus the dungeons and ambience were fantastic.

Wildstar has appeared on my radar but I'm really not sure if I'm going to enjoy it. Like I said, I've enjoyed two themeparks out of what feels like dozens. What's so special about Wildstar? Will it keep my interest? Do I have freedom or is it quest chains and pointers guiding you around by the nose?