Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Big drop in price?

124»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Posts: 2,067Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

FFXI is not scarce or rare. It's the newest edition with all expansions. It's also not near the end of its life-cycle it just released a new expansion and is going strong on subscribers.

----

It's one of the longest running successful MMOS.

I should have been more explicit. The retail box copy - and this thread is about retail boxes - of FFXI is no longer being made. A mixed bag of retailers still sell it at a mixed bag of prices. "High" prices in several cases. What you can buy at amazon .com for $29.99 is the digital download.

We can expect the same to happen for TESO. Currently the price has dropped because retailers have more stock than they want. They make no profit on unsold stock; infact it costs them money: insurance, warehouse space, making sure it doesn't get damp, staff etc. So they reduce the price, pulp it, sell it on to TKMaxx - whatever - clearing space for the next "big thing".

When the retail box copies of TESO are "mostly sold or pulped" the retail box copies will become harder to find and the prices will probably go up. Just like FFXI. You will still be able to buy the digital download however - currently $59.99. 

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scot
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Unlike a B2P where you can keep the box price high a P2P will drop of quickly. If someone wants to present evidence that TESO is dropping of faster or slower than average then fine. If not I think it is fare to say its dropping at an average rate.

Most stores like Walmart are allowed to set their own price, so I would not be surprised if you found a copy for 2$ if they wanted to get rid of old stock. In gaming 'old stock' means last months release.

Let's be fair and compare it to an 11 year old P2P Fantasy MMO with only 500k subscribers.

----

Final Fantasy XI still sells for $30 on amazon. 

----

TESO is like that half dead mouse your cat drops on your doorstep because it got tired playing with it.

Final Fantasy XI is actually an example of what happens to a lot of products as they become "scare" - namely the price goes up somewhat as the product nears the end of its life cycle. You want some old RAM for example - good look finding any of that cheap.

FFXI is not scarce or rare. It's the newest edition with all expansions. It's also not near the end of its life-cycle it just released a new expansion and is going strong on subscribers.

----

You cannot compare any old MMO with a new one in the area of price. SWTOR, RIft, TSW (was it P2P?); they are the only comparable MMOS I can think of. TESO is 30$ on Amazon atm.

Also still no proof of all these 10$ copies from Walmart that are supposedly on sale when the game is ~40$ on Walmart online.

More than likely they are just selling old stock that they need moving, its kind of telling that Amazon UK is selling the game for £20 now, which is well below the original price, even Wildstar is selling for £27, but i think one of the most telling features is that Amazon UK is not offering customers the option of buying the digital download version. Of course the other problem is that even at the reduced price, the game doesn't seem to be shifting any boxes, maybe Amazon will eventually do the Walmart thing and reduce the price yet again, their only other option is probably going to be to get their money back from Zenimax for unsold boxes.image

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,762Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Unlike a B2P where you can keep the box price high a P2P will drop of quickly. If someone wants to present evidence that TESO is dropping of faster or slower than average then fine. If not I think it is fare to say its dropping at an average rate.

Most stores like Walmart are allowed to set their own price, so I would not be surprised if you found a copy for 2$ if they wanted to get rid of old stock. In gaming 'old stock' means last months release.

Let's be fair and compare it to an 11 year old P2P Fantasy MMO with only 500k subscribers.

----

Final Fantasy XI still sells for $30 on amazon. 

----

TESO is like that half dead mouse your cat drops on your doorstep because it got tired playing with it.

Final Fantasy XI is actually an example of what happens to a lot of products as they become "scare" - namely the price goes up somewhat as the product nears the end of its life cycle. You want some old RAM for example - good look finding any of that cheap.

----

You cannot compare any old MMO with a new one in the area of price. SWTOR, RIft, TSW (was it P2P?); they are the only comparable MMOS I can think of. TESO is 30$ on Amazon atm.

Also still no proof of all these 10$ copies from Walmart that are supposedly on sale when the game is ~40$ on Walmart online.

More than likely they are just selling old stock that they need moving, its kind of telling that Amazon UK is selling the game for £20 now, which is well below the original price, even Wildstar is selling for £27, but i think one of the most telling features is that Amazon UK is not offering customers the option of buying the digital download version. Of course the other problem is that even at the reduced price, the game doesn't seem to be shifting any boxes, maybe Amazon will eventually do the Walmart thing and reduce the price yet again, their only other option is probably going to be to get their money back from Zenimax for unsold boxes.image

Wildstar is now only £24.55 on Amazon in fact, OMG the price is falling, the game must be crap! In the four hours since Phry posted it dropped £2.05. Obviously I have no proof there was a price drop, but you don't need proof to post anything on here!

Will we do that sort of post on the WS forums? I should hope not, but they deserve some of the same nonsense we are getting.

Wanting to shift stock is always going to make the price go down, when are our gaming pundits going to realise this? Well they think of themselves as pundits anyway. :)

• icanread88icanread88 Hamilton, ALPosts: 10Member

The reason for the price drop is the same reason for the lawsuits, for double charging customers for their second month & not giving it to them, for locking the horse and imperial race behind a paywall, launching the game when it should still be in beta, etc. They are desperate to make back the money they have invested in this game. Millions were invested in this game because it was a rather safe investment with all the TES fans out there, they figured it would be easy to make their money back. Unfortunately though they decided to make DAoC2 with TES lore, instead of a TES game, and many TES fans either beta tested the game, or knew someone who did. The TES fans weren't fooled into buying this garbage as easily as the investors had hoped, so now they're pulling out all the stops to make their money back on this game before they decide to pull the plug.

I actually pity anyone who bought this game thinking they would get a TES game. You've been had.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Lake Orion, MIPosts: 479Member

Buying the game for $30  Versus someone who bought the game when it first came out, you've only saved yourself $30 and didn't enjoy the first few months of play.

If and when this game goes free to play or no box fee, you still had to wait to play.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO BarcelonaPosts: 212Member
    Nvm-found it-

124»