Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Destiny: E3 PvE Preview: Halo Evolved

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Two things surprised me at our hands-on PvE preview today of Bungie's new MMO darling, Destiny.  In the first case, I was astounded by how well the game played and looked in its alpha state.   In the second, I was astonished by how I well and truly CRUSHED AT IT.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Destiny: E3 PvE Preview - Halo Evolved.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

hmm it seems all the MMO content in this game is going to be limited to the hub city and these public events. it sounds like you won't actually see any players outside your group until you "join" the public event and then it's like a separate instance.

That's sad if it's true, I prefer other players randomly sharing the same world.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    This game rocks!!
    Just did a boss fight amezing.
    Pvp is also fun, but I need to learn to use a controller. Im a sniping hunter. I couldnt find a way to chat?! I could dance or sit etc with gamepad ^^

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212
    @Dreamo84 You do run into other players in the exploration portion of the game world. Now it's not quite like your traditional MMO where everyone is out there etc but the game dynamically matches you with players on the fly and you can group up, take on events etc.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Mmm I'm not sure who this game is being marketed too after reading up on it the past few days. Seems to not really be part of any genre and lacks identity.

We will have to wait and see, but I haven't seen anything yet that makes me very excited about the gameplay or the way the world is set up. I think this game may end up having an identity crisis like Defiance did.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• willaguy12willaguy12 Member Posts: 2
    I played the alpha on PS4 and I can genuinely say that I am surprised with how good the game is. It's hard to describe exactly what it is, especially in a preview like this. My guess is that it will sell well with word of mouth of how it plays and feels. Also looks amazing!
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

hmm it seems all the MMO content in this game is going to be limited to the hub city and these public events. it sounds like you won't actually see any players outside your group until you "join" the public event and then it's like a separate instance.

That's sad if it's true, I prefer other players randomly sharing the same world.

Mmm...there are people wandering around at the same time you are...you have various modes of play, I had a blast and plan on pre-ordering it. If you did not play the alpha preview, try and get in on beta coming in july.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Glad I got a chance to play this it felt like halo meets PSO. It definitely felt very fresh and the gameplay is very well done and really fun.I know a lot of people won't like this but its miles ahead of other games like it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

No offense to anyone I just don't see why it matters what it is, MMO, CO-OP, what-have-you...or how much it cost to produce. AT this point I view "not sure what to call it" as a good thing, not to say the game itself will be good, have no idea, it really isn't my thing to begin with. However at least it's something different than the norm.

The same could be said about The Division as well as a few others. I'm just glad to see a game(S) that isn't a MOBA, THemepark, or FFA Sandbox. It's strict adherence to labels that causes stagnation and stillborn creativity. Glad to see people stepping out of them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Still not seeing anything to justify $500mil cost.

As the most expensive MMO in history, I expected a lot more - especially actual MMO aspects.

The devs never called this an mmo. They describe it as this http://www.destinythegame.com/game

"first-person action persistent online world"

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

No you do see random people in the world while you play in PvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCamuS-jH-A skip to 12:00+