Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shards Online: Citadel Undaunted by Failed Kickstarter Campaign

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

Crowd-sourcing might be game development's New Hope, but developers like Citadel Studios are discovering how difficult it can be to pull off. In the face of its failed Kickstarter campaign, Citadel this week sent out a gracious message of thanks and further expressed their determination to get their game made.

Inviting players to join them in community roundtables, the team is refocusing their efforts on three things:

• Funding: We still need funding to get Shards Online to an alpha state. We are exploring multiple avenues and we will be sure to update you guys as we make progress.

• Community: We are going to continue to work directly with our community. There are many ways you can help us as we move forward. From showing support, to feedback on our direction and vision, to playtesting and helping us build our knowledge base. We will involve all of you every step of the way. 

• Development: We are refocusing and working on a plan to get to alpha quicker and more efficiently. We are creating a development roadmap with tighter deliverables and more checkpoints along the way to release. This will actually be the topic of our second community roadmap (stay tuned for details on this)

For  more information about Shards Online, visit the game's official website or follow the project on Facebook.

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am sorry but after SC,cash grab(main last KS donate) ,I am not supporting any project on KS... thanks to Chris and his family/closest friends
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by BMunchausen

Development: We are refocusing and working on a plan to get to alpha quicker and more efficiently. We are creating a development roadmap with tighter deliverables and more checkpoints along the way to release. This will actually be the topic of our second community roadmap (stay tuned for details on this)

I'm no expert on this, but shouldn't this have already been prepared for months ago?

Please let me know if I'm wrong here. I mean, reworking a roadmap sounds understandable in the event that it failed but not having one before going to Kickstarter sounds unprofessional. Maybe I'm just misreading it.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I tried the free alpha weekend and nothing in the game grabbed me.  For those excited about the game on here, I hope it eventually sees a release.  
  • Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Blaze_Rocker
    Originally posted by BMunchausen

Development: We are refocusing and working on a plan to get to alpha quicker and more efficiently. We are creating a development roadmap with tighter deliverables and more checkpoints along the way to release. This will actually be the topic of our second community roadmap (stay tuned for details on this)

I'm no expert on this, but shouldn't this have already been prepared for months ago?

Please let me know if I'm wrong here. I mean, reworking a roadmap sounds understandable in the event that it failed but not having one before going to Kickstarter sounds unprofessional. Maybe I'm just misreading it.

I'm positive they did have a roadmap they are just working on making it a "tighter" one and adding more checkpoints. What that means I'm not entirely sure as it's pretty vague but they are essentially reworking it due to the failed kickstarter.

They had one setup for the kickstarter and contingent upon it getting funded, now that it didn't they basically have to rework it so that they can get to an alpha state in a reasonable amount of time without the funding from the kickstarter. That means they wont be creating the 4 huge worlds for alpha they had planned but rather 1 world for example.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Ahh, thanks.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Why a 2.5D game...
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

This is a part of something I am writing in relation to another game which also failed it's KS campaign... continued anyway... and is now pretty much dead in the water (even though it's not a bad game)  The same thing can be applied here.

Lessons:

If you plan to develop a game regardless (with or without community support) then don’t ask for community support/backing.  You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.  In this case the ‘bad’ publicity of ... failed crowd funding attempts.

If you do go the crowd funding (community support) route and fail... then you should really be prepared to swallow your pride.  You gambled and lost.  Any professional gambler will tell you not to chase your losses.

Don’t underestimate the power of word of mouth.  Crowd Funding and Viral Marketing work both ways.  They can destroy the reputation of a product with poor community feedback (even if it is unjustified).  With ‘early access’ products there is the added problem that the final product might be significantly improved from the product that attracted the early (bad) reviews?  But the online community cannot be expected to know that, or believe that, and it is unlikely they will take the necessary time to find out.

Shards has failed.  They should stop development now.  Continuing is simply chasing their losses.

They may end up developing the game.  It may even be good.  But there are simply not enough people interested to make it worthwhile commercially.

And if it's not commercial - it won't last.

Vanguard is a great game... not commercial... closed.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    I am sorry but after SC,cash grab(main last KS donate) ,I am not supporting any project on KS... thanks to Chris and his family/closest friends

blaming a developers family for your lack of trust in crowdfunding when they game isnt even in alpha yet?

Sounds pretty extremist and or over sensitive to me.

Give it time, SC is a very ambitious game, it probably wont end up being all they want it to be, but I am sure it will still be a good game well worth the pledge. Assuming otherwise is just baseless at this point.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Star Citizen looks good, but I think Elite looks better....imho.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I just don´t get it,  why bother with KS if you can develop your game without it.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Azrile

I just don´t get it,  why bother with KS if you can develop your game without it.

More money equals easier/faster development. I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by fodell54

More money equals easier/faster development. I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

By that logic Star Citizen released last month...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Gyrus

By that logic Star Citizen released last month...

Not even remotely. Completely different games, different development teams and a different scope.

In this case more money would have sped up development time significantly as well as given far more content for the alpha release. To say otherwise is just complete nonsense.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Geebus80

blaming a developers family for your lack of trust in crowdfunding when they game isnt even in alpha yet?

Give it time, SC is a very ambitious game, it probably wont end up being all they want it to be, but I am sure it will still be a good game well worth the pledge. Assuming otherwise is just baseless at this point.

They ll done game for sure,no doubt , but I am sure they take donated money for personal stuff not  only  for game.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Geebus80

They ll done game for sure,no doubt , but I am sure they take donated money for personal stuff not  only  for game.

I heard they even bought beer with backers money ! If I didn't like beer so much myself I would of asked for a refund 

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

Having tried to read between the lines, I think they also knew that even if the Kickstarter failed, the fact there was a large amount of backers anyway would be something to show potential investors as proof there is at least some interest for the project.

• pl.LukePpl.LukeP Member Posts: 1

They have stated in roundtable video that the  KS was to be used to develop full scope of the game, as it was presented  on KS page. (four worlds etc)

At this moment that full scope is off the table.

Platform development and limited content is happening though (again, see the video).

More details mid-july.

I am assuming  "limited" to mean proof-of concept for all systems - especially user content creation and modding,

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Kuviski

Having tried to read between the lines, I think they also knew that even if the Kickstarter failed, the fact there was a large amount of backers anyway would be something to show potential investors as proof there is at least some interest for the project.

That doesn't work. I backed a game 2 years ago and the leader never managed to find any sponsor. 

The game is now stuck with her writing a few lines of code each week since the KS money is long gone and she had to dismiss all her devs.

I can easily see this game going the same route.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Logrus_CSLogrus_CS Member UncommonPosts: 87

While the KS campaign may have failed it did show that there was interest in the game. One of the mistakes was not building the community before the campaign. However the community  built during and since have been extremely supportive. So we are continuing to develop but unfortunately we wont be able to do things like outsource asset creation to fast track.  

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    The open weekend they did was a mess .. Not really inclined on donating anything.