Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

FFXIV review

drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,247Member Uncommon

I have been playing FFXIV since launch and thought it was about time to do a review of my own:

1. Graphics 9, I think most people would agree this is very awsome unless you hate anime style graphic.

2. Story 8, The story certainly isn't the best FF story but for an MMO its quite good and has depth in the story, in the memorable characters you meet and is also very well written. My only problem is that some of the voice acting is very mediocre.

3. Gameplay 7, Battle is pretty average and par for the course. They have a good thing going with the balance of it but they could do a little more in my opinion. I think giving more cross class abilities would help for starters.

4. Content and Endgame 8, This game has a ton of content to try, beast tribe dailies, treasure maps, leves, dungeons, raids, guldhests, the logs like hunting and so on, retainer missions, fates, main story, side stories, pvp, as well as regular questing. The only reason I don't give it a ten is because endgame progression is to linear and could use some horizontal style progression.

5. Crafting and gathering 8, You can have fun and make alot of gil from this robust and very well implemented crafting system it's just a shame they can't make gear closer to par with the end game gear.

Closing thoughts: This game isn't without it's problems but scores a solid 8 in my book and definitely worth a try and with 2.3 just around the corner bringing Bounty hunts Yoshi's version of NM's, front line pvp, chocobo raising, and all the other stuff you expect  I feel the game will just get better and better over time.

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Not a bad review, pretty accurate imo. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NoxeronNoxeron KarlskronaPosts: 19Member Uncommon

I agree mostly, but my opinion is very biased, which is why I'm not a reviewer. I would have given it higher. A 9 at least ;P

I haven't played much since patch 2.2 because... Life. Damn life. And money.

I haden't read or seen anything about 2.3 before this, might be worth it going back :)

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    I think once ArcheAge is finally released in the West, FFXIV is going to drop like a rock. 
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,247Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I think once ArcheAge is finally released in the West, FFXIV is going to drop like a rock. 

Well I doubt it, they are two very different games aiming for two different audiences in my opinion. That being said I think AA will do very well over here.

• nbtscannbtscan Phoenix, AZPosts: 778Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by drivendawn

Well I doubt it, they are two very different games aiming for two different audiences in my opinion. That being said I think AA will do very well over here.

Agreed.  Final Fantasy is a game that guides players through their experiences for the most part.  Archeage is a game that's like "Choose Your Own Adventure".  Games that have no quantifiable "end game" won't appeal to people that prefer the themepark model.

• reeereeereeereee Posts: 1,203Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by drivendawn

Yeah I have a hard time seeing what FFXIV and AA have in common other coming from Asia.

• mayankingmayanking south houston, TXPosts: 162Member Uncommon
    ehh not sure this is really a review anyways i agree with everything but end game. i'd give that a 4-5ish 
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,247Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mayanking
    ehh not sure this is really a review anyways i agree with everything but end game. i'd give that a 4-5ish 

It's a basic review not an in depth one I'll admit though.

• danwest58danwest58 Cincinnati, OHPosts: 985Member Uncommon

News Flash AA has been release to NA and EU since September of last year.  Guess what the game is a total failure and a P2W game.  I know I played it and If I was not going to keep up with paying more than my sub each month I would fall behind.  AA is a big sandbox failure because you cannot have a cash shop in a sandbox game.  You end up having what you have in AA which is a Wallet war.  I know One Guild on my Server was only the top Guild because they spent 10s of thousands of dollars to get what they had.  Thats a massive failure and will not bring in anyone to hurt FFXIV.  O and since AA and WOD Launch FFXIV has had increased in population not lost.  

• HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by danwest58

News Flash AA has been release to NA and EU since September of last year.  Guess what the game is a total failure and a P2W game.  I know I played it and If I was not going to keep up with paying more than my sub each month I would fall behind.  AA is a big sandbox failure because you cannot have a cash shop in a sandbox game.  You end up having what you have in AA which is a Wallet war.  I know One Guild on my Server was only the top Guild because they spent 10s of thousands of dollars to get what they had.  Thats a massive failure and will not bring in anyone to hurt FFXIV.  O and since AA and WOD Launch FFXIV has had increased in population not lost.  

The post you responded to is from last year.

"Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79