Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My thoughts on this game.

kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Ok going to give my thoughts of this game without saying too much about it. It plays alot like halo games, which to me is good cause the controls feel good like battlefield. The exploration is great the map they have for the alpha is full of suprises and can't wait to see the full map. The random missions they have are decent there is alot of variety in them so they all feel fun. The level design is amazing lots of detail and almost everywhere has great amount of coverage so you cam use it to your advantage. Last but not least I played the strike mission and defeated it. it was soo much fun it gave me the rush I used to get from raiding in burning crusade. I played firefall and defiance and think that destiny is soo much more of a quality game than these combined.

Comments

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I hesitate to compare it to raiding in mmorpgs. I don't think that's the right comparison. Fire fall and defiance are good comparisons, but both of those games are far from what Destiny is proving to be as we test it out in alpha. Halo is an excellent comparison and thankfully it feels alot like halo, the main difference is the persistent world now where people can drop in. I think Bungie has fine tuned their npc mechanics and the ai are definitely smarter, I noticed they don't all stay grouped up, the take cover, they shoot through narrow gaps, they still have aggressive tactics but it's not as blatant. The devil fight with my fireteam was a blast, it definitely feels good. Pvp is great and in typical Bungie fashion, they don't push the limits so far that game quality drops out, 6v6 matches right now and I'm sure there is room for larger battles, but 6v6 felt good. I know what great minds Bungie has with respect to pvp instances, we are in for some good times.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The first thing that got my attention, was how not next gen Destiny is, it might run at 1080 but i am struggling to understand how they were unable to make the game run better than just 30 fps, pretty sure most people would prefer a game that actually ran with a decent frame rate, even if they had to drop the resolution a little, kind of wonder if this really is the best they could do, because if it is, then Bungie isn't half the game developer that their supposed to be. image
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Looks stunning. But i cant help but think defiance..... and thats not good.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I was in the defiance beta and even bought the game at release, I still dont see how they are similar. I really am enjoying the Destiny alpha, the ground mounts are so fun to drive.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by DMKano

Destiny budget - $500 million 

You are going to compare that to 2 games whose combined budget is not even $100 mil?

Ok.

These are really the only ones you can compare this game to, or would you rather me compare it to SWTOR since they have close to the same budget?

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Kanester
    Looks stunning. But i cant help but think defiance..... and thats not good.

I had the same feeling but once I played it's soo much better, and I can't play defiance for more than an hour.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I'm playing it tonight with some friends and was expecting this game to be at least as deep as Halo or Borderlands 2. The character system looks pretty sweet, but I'm concerned those are the only subclasses. If that's the case - then that needs to improved on. I'm also concerned this game actually has less zones than say Warframe. They really hyped this game up to be massive in scope and I'm already starting to worry it won't. The gameplay is solid though, as would be expected of Destiny and I can't believe this is alpha. The game releases in September and it seems development terms are changing their definition. 
  • legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81

You are going to compare that to 2 games whose combined budget is not even $100 mil?

Ok.

So budget determines how much fun/good a game is nowadays?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I would say that "up to a point" budget matters. A bad game will still be a bad game but a good game could be seriously hamstrung by a lack of finance.

To be fair however we don't know what the budget for Destiny is. It is being created by Bungie not Activision. What we do know is that Activision reported in their quarterly results that they had budgeted to spend $500M on the game. Which generated - and is still generating - headlines; free publicity - wonderful stuff. Is it $500M this year however or $500M budgeted over the next 10 years? 

As far as the size of the game goes perception may be crucial. Depends what it launches with of course maybe there is a lot more content however:

• thought of as a subscription mmo it could well feel "small" at launch;
    • thought of as a one-off B2P game that provides X hours of content and co-op play and I don't see it being a problem
    The world will subsequently grow with the annual instalments. And there must be the possibility of side missions being released as DLC. 

Perception. May be crucial. If Activision generate lots of publicity however it may not matter one iota.        
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by legendsolo

Ok.

So budget determines how much fun/good a game is nowadays?

To some degree yes. No budget = no polish, no little details, and full of bugs.

Good ideas don't make good games. Good implementation does .. and that costs.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Not sure if this is known yet, but will this game be more of a lobby mmo or an open world map in the vein of wow? Can I just walk out of a city and expore the landscape or do I need to pick up a quest in the main city before I venture out?