Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is ZM deleting my TESO sale posts on the forums?

I made a few posts on the official forums that point people to Walmart sales and Best Buy price matching to get the base game for $9.99.

They have all been deleted and I was given a warning! What is going on, does ZeniMax not want more people to join their game? I even posted a receipt for a few people to get Best Buy to price match, but that is the thread that got me my warning. What is going on with these guys?

Look at my threads:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Qt0dxu1Ey68J:forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108592/teso-selling-for-9-99-at-walmart+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/112715/eso-is-just-9-99-at-walmart

Not my thread:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/entry/signin?Target=discussion%1GR72GH0%1Halready-sold-for-9-99-at-walmart

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/110120/dafuq-9-99-at-walmart

There are a few more, but they are all being deleted as soon as they are created! Why is ZeniMax doing this?  They can still be read via Google's cache system, but ZM is deleting them like there is no tomorrow.

Really, can someone please tell me why anyone would delete sale threads on the official forums? Is saving other people money that bad? Heck, they are even deleting the Amazon threads where people post the game is $29.99.

I love the game so far but their CSR's seem to be really crappy and Nazi like.

Comments

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

I don't live in the states and  I don't have a clue why ZM is deleting your posts IF the information you provided is 100% accurate.

Out of my curiosity, can you post the Walmart or Bestbuy links? I already bought ESO, but some people I know might be interested image

• MarkAnd81MarkAnd81 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

I don't live in the states and  I don't have a clue why ZM is deleting your posts IF the information you provided is 100% accurate.

Out of my curiosity, can you post the Walmart or Bestbuy links? I already bought ESO, but some people I know might be interested image

I believe it may be over now. As of today actually. I told a few friends about the sale, and most managed to snag it at $9.99.

I learned about it from this excellent review http://www.amazon.com/review/R2M7PSMDT36F1L/ which I got to while browsing the Amazon TESO page after following another link from the official forum saying the game was on sale for $29.99. Saddly the official TESO forum thread has long since been deleted. No idea why????

After I followed that link, I saw the review and it mentioned Walmart having the game for $9.99. Calling a few stores around me, I managed to find a copy for $10, and had them hold it for me. The price is in store only, not online.

Ebay was also recently full of the Walmart versions of the game that sold for a very low price. Look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-PC-MAC-2014-Walmart-Exculsive-w-20x16-Cloth-Map-/121360474031?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c41a5dfaf

Just today the price seems to have jumped back up, but Amazon still has it for $29.99, and some ebay sellers are still selling the Walmart copy for $15-$20.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I'm not going to go read the ESO forum rules but sometimes posting links to commercial entities can get your threads deleted and/or your account banned (in general, not just ESO).

MMORPG.com for example has these rules:

Advertisements

• MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected].

Referral Links
    • MMORPG.com does not support its members posting links for which they are entitled to reward. This constitutes advertising on the forums. If you wish to purchase advertising with us, please contact [email protected].

Copyright and Press Material
    • Reposting material in its entirety from other sources is against our rules. Quotations from things such as news articles are fine, provided it is cited and (if possible) linked to. We ask others to respect our content and ask our readers do the same for other people's content.

Now, you might notice that you've seen links like those on the forums before. Rule enforcement is up to the mods, so depending on the context  they may or may not be allowed to stay up. I wouldn't be surprised if Zenimax had some forum rules regarding external links.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-PC-Mac-PC-Games/20895851

43$

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/video-games/the-elder-scrolls-online/pcmcat322500050019.c?id=pcmcat322500050019

59$ sold out of imperial editions.

It has been stated several times (in other threads from MMORPG.com as well as other sites) that the $9.99 offer only goes towards physical copies of the game at that particular store. This goes for both Walmart and Best Buy.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

43$

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/video-games/the-elder-scrolls-online/pcmcat322500050019.c?id=pcmcat322500050019

It has been stated several times (in other threads from MMORPG.com as well as other sites) that the $9.99 offer only goes towards physical copies of the game at that particular store. This goes for both Walmart and Best Buy.

Wow.  Don't even think SWTOR went to 9.99 that quick.  Sales must be horrendous and they are liquidating their physical stock.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    It's $9.99 at my local walmart as well.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

As we are all Zenimax employee's, hang on...no we are not, so we have no idea. You could put a help question in on the official forum?

I notice that Walmat online price for TESO is 43$, if you can get it cheaper, good luck to you.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

It was $9.99 at my walmart a few days ago- I posted about it then and what ended up being the case (not going to try to find the post/thread) -

I was curious as hell if it was mismarked- It wasnt. Evidently most wal marts were doing this (but not every one) so believe it or not- This is real. Why zenimax would delete these threads ? I dont think it looks good....

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Promoting retail companies is probably against the ESO forum rules.

It could also be argued that those posts are of little value on the official forums, seeing as the greater majority of those forum folk already own the game. At worst the post could be seen as an attempt to troll by insinuating that the game is dying because it's "in the bargain bin".

As for Walmart (or any major store) liquidating physical stock, it's quite normal 3 months after launch. They have to clear shelf space for new launch games that will be "hot sellers". No MMO in history has kept on selling at launch-month volumes indefinitely.

If the price of the digital copies drops dramatically, then it would be safe to conclude that "demand has dropped significantly". 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Have not personally confirmed this myself.  There were a few people saying that this was going on.  Someone made a joke about not even buying it at that price.  Though I'm pretty sure they did regardless.

If it's still going on I might go pick it up just to have it on my desk.  Probably won't use it until the game goes Free to Play and I get some kind've premium status for owning the game before the -- some would say -- inevitability of such.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

There are numerous online cdkey resellers that me and my guildies regularly use, that sell ESO at below 20 now, and in CBT at less than 30 (and totally legit, quick and professional). Not providing any links as apparently it's against mmorpg.com policy.

Google is your friend, one of the very few examples for which globalization is good ;)

Same for 60d gamecards (for ESO and other games), quite the bargain - 2months at same monthly rate of the 6month official sub price..

As for the OP: they are deleting because they want to sell directly their overpriced rate of 59.9 or whatever it is on their website..

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by junzo316

43$

Wow.  Don't even think SWTOR went to 9.99 that quick.  Sales must be horrendous and they are liquidating their physical stock.

It's just select stores believe me, we've been checking...My WIfe works between two Walmarts in the pharmacy in our area, she's been checking ever since that thread popped up.. Still the walmart asking price at both, there have been no sales in our area.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by samvenice

There are numerous online cdkey resellers that me and my guildies regularly use, that sell ESO at below 20 now, and in CBT at less than 30 (and totally legit, quick and professional). Not providing any links as apparently it's against mmorpg.com policy.

Google is your friend, one of the very few examples for which globalization is good ;)

Same for 60d gamecards (for ESO and other games), quite the bargain - 2months at same monthly rate of the 6month official sub price..

As for the OP: they are deleting because they want to sell directly their overpriced rate of 59.9 or whatever it is on their website..

Links?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Maybe it is being deleted because Zenimax want you to buy the digital download from them?

Anyway its $29.99 on Amazon .com for the retail box copy with free shipping.

$29.99 from Gamestop for the retail box.

Or you can buy the digital download from Amazon .com or GameStop for .... roll of drums .......$59.99.

Warning: your shopping experience may vary. You can pay more. You may also find cheaper prices in selected stores.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by samvenice

Links?

Maybe he edited later but it says "Not providing any links as apparently it's against mmorpg.com policy."

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK something fishy about your links,they all look the same and do not look like links for sales to the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by junzo316

43$

It's just select stores believe me, we've been checking...My WIfe works between two Walmarts in the pharmacy in our area, she's been checking ever since that thread popped up.. Still the walmart asking price at both, there have been no sales in our area.

The stores in your area probably sold their entire stock already, so they don't have any "loose units" to clear off the shelves.

The customer profile for each store is not identical, so certain things may sell faster than others. I'm sure the individual stores are allowed to clear excess stock or discount slow-moving items. 

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    My bet is the post itself went south as soon as those that paid $60 or more realized that they could have waited and paid $10 bucks... or those that are still being charged $60 think they are being overcharged et al.  Nothing good ever comes of these posts.  Which is yet another reason why they get deleted.
  • MarkAnd81MarkAnd81 Member Posts: 19

Hmm. Very lame policy if they don't want to save their subscribers money. MMO's like TESO make money from sub sales, not game sales. 

Getting more people into the game at $10 is a lot better than not getting anyone in at $60.

Whatever. Stupid policy is stupid.

I also love how some people go out of their way to point out the deal doesn't exist because on line prices don't reflect that, even if Amazon is selling it for $29.99 anyway. Apparently it is also incredibly difficult to google Elder Scrolls Online $9.99, see countless threads, receipt screenshots for price matching, etc. Or you know... Actually call a Walmart.

The game going down in price is a good thing. Stop pointing people to the official site. If they can't buy a Walmart or Ebay copy (some are selling at $14-$15 for the Walmart copy), then they can still buy from Amazon for half the price that ZM wants for it.

When did gamer's get so mean and vindictive?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by MarkAnd81

Hmm. Very lame policy if they don't want to save their subscribers money. MMO's like TESO make money from sub sales, not game sales. 

Getting more people into the game at $10 is a lot better than not getting anyone in at $60.

Whatever. Stupid policy is stupid.

I also love how some people go out of their way to point out the deal doesn't exist because on line prices don't reflect that, even if Amazon is selling it for $29.99 anyway. Apparently it is also incredibly difficult to google Elder Scrolls Online $9.99, see countless threads, receipt screenshots for price matching, etc. Or you know... Actually call a Walmart.

The game going down in price is a good thing. Stop pointing people to the official site. If they can't buy a Walmart or Ebay copy (some are selling at $14-$15 for the Walmart copy), then they can still buy from Amazon for half the price that ZM wants for it.

When did gamer's get so mean and vindictive?

Been that way for quite some time now, well, at least on these forums anyways.

I agree, getting more people into paying a sub would seem to be the goal, but perhaps somehow retailers like Walmart have a deal with Zenimax that they only have to play them  a portion of the final selling price.  If so, then 9.99 sales might really be cutting into the profit margin.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/

Nice little site for comparison purposes.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

"I also love how some people go out of their way to point out the deal doesn't exist because on line prices don't reflect that, even if Amazon is selling it for $29.99 anyway. Apparently it is also incredibly difficult to google Elder Scrolls Online $9.99, see countless threads, receipt screenshots for price matching, etc. Or you know... Actually call a Walmart."

It seems some Walmarts are offering at this price in selected stores. But I am basing that purely on posts here, I googled "Elder Scrolls Online $9.99," and did not find one receipt screenshot, I looked at price matching sites and found 20 to 40$. Perhaps your Goggle is better than mine? :D

I am not sure that industry insiders would agree that it is all about the sub. The baulk of players only play for one or two months and then leave every MMO for the next one, or go back to solo games. Certainly though reducing price will mean more end up on the sub.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Scot

<snip>

I am not sure that industry insiders would agree that it is all about the sub. The baulk of players only play for one or two months and then leave every MMO for the next one, or go back to solo games. Certainly though reducing price will mean more end up on the sub.

I share your opinion.

I wonder whether Zenimax insiders over-ruled their instincts; became the latest team to think they could emulate WoW; fell into a "sales don't matter, its all about the long term subscribers" approach. Believed maybe that they could get 20M subs by Christmas. Will they change course when they launch the console version? 

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

There will be reasons why certain content gets deleted on forums, even you dont understand why..