Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] General: My Best and Worst of E3 2014

2»

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

No mans sky does look bloody godo and it better come to PC..

Totally disagree with Battlefront being in the worst list.. hell even just the snippet of in game footage was bloody amazing.. I think DICE is gonig to blow everything out the water with this one..

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Somewhere in nowherePosts: 2,327Member Uncommon

Yup, definitely Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky for me too.

Those have the potential to last me for hundreds of hours. Heck, I'm actually spending a good bit on something like "Planet Explorers" right now.

I'm excited for the new Battlefront, but agreed that the snippet isn't much of a reveal. Of course we'll need to wait until next year for info on that.

Originally posted by nbtscan
    No Man's Sky has been the most intriguing game I've seen, unfortunately I feel it's going to be a bit limited in what you can do.  Exploring planets, engaging in the occasional dogfight and upgrading your ship is all fine and good, but 20 planets later do you think most people will want to continue on?

That's true up to a point, they will need to put things in there that keep people coming back. But that's possible, look at Starbound: same procedural planets all over the place. But there are hidden fortresses, bases, powers that people keep looking for.

Of course modding is also a big part of that, which will be much more complex to do in this game. Still, it isn't impossible as a voxel based game like Planet Explorers has an ingame creator for 3D objects for example.

It also depends on how good their empire building gameplay is. That's something most of these games haven't yet perfected.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• PiscorePiscore Las PalmasPosts: 144Member Uncommon

My List:

The Witcher 3

End.

l2p

• elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon

Best of E3:

Skyforge

No Man's Sky

FFXIV Shiva and Ninja reveals

Halo Master Chief Collection - I've never played the originals, not owning an Xbox all those years and this year I'm switching from Playstation to Microsoft, well because of this collection right here.

Worst of E3:

Nintendo - what is up with this company?  Where did the company I remember as opening the door on in home video games go?  Where have my Metal Gear, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, dragon warrior, Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros etc. Nintendo soaked days of the 80s and 90s gone? /cry

Kingdom Hearts 3 - Oh, I want the game, badly.  But the teaser for this...still nothing to show?  What is with E3 this year and showing snippets of games that should be halfway done but seem to be just getting going? 

All these stupid Dance games, gah, do people really buy/play these?  I don't know anyone who does.

• loulakiloulaki PatrasPosts: 918Member Uncommon
    seriously where is "The Division" ???

• keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    The show was all about Virtual Reality with Morpeous and Occulus Rift. Played both. Makes 3d look like a gimmick. It is all closer than you think. This is the future, not any of what anyone has listed above. Those games will be temporary fill gaps.

There Is Always Hope!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,557Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by keithian
    The show was all about Virtual Reality with Morpeous and Occulus Rift. Played both. Makes 3d look like a gimmick. It is all closer than you think. This is the future, not any of what anyone has listed above. Those games will be temporary fill gaps.

They need games though, like imagine Alien Isolation or No Mans Sky supported by these.

• elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon

The cost of those things alone will hinder how long it takes them to hit mainstream.  A good 10 years or more before the average gamer can even think of buying one.  So, I'll enjoy my temporary games for the next decade + thanks.

• Originally posted by keithian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt3SC-XkYw8
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member

Best: Farcry 4 - Looked absolutely awesome. 

Worst: Destiny - Looked absolutely horrible. Nothing original about this game and to me this was just an opportunity to give PS4 players a chance to play a Halo like game. Pretty lame.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,558Member Uncommon

Before they become mainstream, one obvious problem needs solving - bulk + weight on top of your head is only good for short gaming sessions.

Try wearing occulus for 3 hours... which many MMO gamers do.

• Best :

Destiny

Uncharted 4

Metal Gear Solid V(Manly tears)

No Man's Sky

Bloodborne

Batman Arkham Knight

Rainbow Six

Witcher 3

Zelda

Worst :

Dragon Age 3

Assassins Creed Unity

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare

• KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXPosts: 956Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Before they become mainstream, one obvious problem needs solving - bulk + weight on top of your head is only good for short gaming sessions. Try wearing occulus for 3 hours... which many MMO gamers do.

DMKano is correct.  I tried the Oculus Rift and was only mildly impressed.  I used to play 2.5 hours a night, and 8 - 10 hours on the weekend.  In neither case could I imagine wearing 379 g (13.4 oz) on my face for that long.

On a side note, I used to be all about 3D in the movies.  Now I don't want anything to do with them.  Those glasses are tolerable at least.

I saw a demo of a surface to space engine last year.  I don't remember if it was the same group as NMS.  This seems like the perfect engine for any Sci-Fi IP.  Any Sci-FI IP would work, but this group just doesn't seem to have any IP here to work with.  I want to start naming IPs and getting mouths watering but it does no good.

I have always been impressed with Destiny.  But the thing that shocked my from the trailer was the VO's statement that Mercury was made into a Garden.  The rest which I assume is non-game play footage, looks great.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph SarajevoPosts: 1,070Member Uncommon

best  ; No Man's Sky

worst ; Destiny

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

2»