Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New mmos recently.... But wow.

GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

Anyone else played the newer mmo's like GW2, TERA, ESO and Wildstar?

I have played them but am actually seriously considering coming back to wow. I just wondered what some of your opinions are about these games, but in direct comparison to your experience with wow.

Recently...

I played ESO and left after about 3 weeks. I just couldn't bring myself to log in because I didn't enjoy the questing very much and having the pvp all in one area, while good in some respects feels lacking somehow to me. I can see why some would really enjoy the game though.

I am currently playing Wildstar and it certainly has some good aspects to it. I was very surprised by the amount of content at release and how much there is to do generally while leveling. The combat is quite fun although after playing through it, it is starting to feel a bit more like a gimmick rather than a combat system which is truly intuitive. It also currently feels a bit spammy in pvp, it feels like you have less of a true impact to me. A good game and quite surprising though as I was unsure about giving a go.

That said about the former games mentioned, wow is still a beast to be reckoned with. There is something that still draws me back, I am just unsure about taking the leap and if I should resub or not. The simplicity and the direct approach with regards to progression is quite appealing still. The Warcraft franchise is certainly one with a lot of charm. The combat is easy to do, but hard to truly master and each class is fairly unique. Very tempting to return and with a new expansion on the horizon, the temptation is a bit greater.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow is a bit of a mess at the mo, suggest playing wildstar until wod comes out then play wod for a bit - they make the hard decision :)

Gw2 is good, but it's a different style of mmo.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Graveblade

I have played them but am actually seriously considering coming back to wow. I just wondered what some of your opinions are about these games, but in direct comparison to your experience with wow.

Recently...

I played ESO and left after about 3 weeks. I just couldn't bring myself to log in because I didn't enjoy the questing very much and having the pvp all in one area, while good in some respects feels lacking somehow to me. I can see why some would really enjoy the game though.

I am currently playing Wildstar and it certainly has some good aspects to it. I was very surprised by the amount of content at release and how much there is to do generally while leveling. The combat is quite fun although after playing through it, it is starting to feel a bit more like a gimmick rather than a combat system which is truly intuitive. It also currently feels a bit spammy in pvp, it feels like you have less of a true impact to me. A good game and quite surprising though as I was unsure about giving a go.

That said about the former games mentioned, wow is still a beast to be reckoned with. There is something that still draws me back, I am just unsure about taking the leap and if I should resub or not. The simplicity and the direct approach with regards to progression is quite appealing still. The Warcraft franchise is certainly one with a lot of charm. The combat is easy to do, but hard to truly master and each class is fairly unique. Very tempting to return and with a new expansion on the horizon, the temptation is a bit greater.

As far as I can tell the only thing you don't like about the newer crop of games is the combat system which has moved away from a passive hit Tab + Numbers and target dies.  That type of combat is what I find boring so I am glad to see it go.  Personally I am enjoying WS a great deal and I think content wise it's one of the best MMO launches in quite some time.  Even if WS didn't peak my interest WoW certainly has nothing on offer I haven't already done or seen 1000000000000000000x at least WS might be familiar but a different skin.

Steam: Neph

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

It's a matter of opinion.

I can't play GW2 TERA or ESO because to me they seriously lack end game progression.

I can't play Wildstar because I hate the combat and lore. 

If you're looking to make a return to WoW I'd encourage it, but just know that we aren't receiving a new raid or pvp season until WoD drops at some point unconfirmed point in this year.  Siege isn't nearly as bad as dragonsoul, but the wait sure is for progression raiders.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76

I came back to WoW a couple months ago and have been enjoying it.  I have never been a WoW fanboy and I really didn't care for it much in the past but it suits me now.  I've been playing MMOs for 17 years now.  I have very limited playtime with a baby at home.  What I like about WoW is I can hop in for an hour get some stuff done, have some fun and hop out.  It really is giving me my fix on very limited playing time.

Also, WoW has a plethora of content since it's been out for so long.  The only way WoW's content is lacking is if you as a player pigeon hole yourself into only playing one piece of the game.  I've mostly been doing PVP via BGs and Arena.  Although,  I got stomped at first since I had horrible gear I have found myself getting better now that my gear is around i530.  

WoW is the only MMO subscription I currently have open and it will most likely continue that way.  This coming from a guy that used to have 4-5 subs open at once.  The accessibility and the wealth of content really make it suit me.  I'm also looking forward to what the new xpac brings.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    As far as I can tell the only thing you don't like about the newer crop of games is the combat system which has moved away from a passive hit Tab + Numbers and target dies.  That type of combat is what I find boring so I am glad to see it go.  Personally I am enjoying WS a great deal and I think content wise it's one of the best MMO launches in quite some time.  Even if WS didn't peak my interest WoW certainly has nothing on offer I haven't already done or seen 1000000000000000000x at least WS might be familiar but a different skin.

Well it is not that I don't like it as such, I do welcome different types of combat systems. I think the reason I focused on that on Wildstar is because the combat system seems to be a large factor of appeal to a lot of people and how it is advertised, just like some other games have done in the past, take Age of Conan for example. Personally I don't mind the combat either way whether it is a more arcade style like Wildstar or tab targetting like on wow. I come from EQ and UO and have played tons and tons of mmo's over the years but never have I truly enjoyed an mmo's combat system over another to the point that it results in my favour towards that game. :)

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Wow is a bit of a mess at the mo, suggest playing wildstar until wod comes out then play wod for a bit - they make the hard decision :)

Gw2 is good, but it's a different style of mmo.

This is good advice.  I second it.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    tried panda lvled 2 chars to 90 priest and pala did a few raids got tired fast and pvp was so bad. so i left and now playing swtor and wildstar
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Well it is not that I don't like it as such, I do welcome different types of combat systems. I think the reason I focused on that on Wildstar is because the combat system seems to be a large factor of appeal to a lot of people and how it is advertised, just like some other games have done in the past, take Age of Conan for example. Personally I don't mind the combat either way whether it is a more arcade style like Wildstar or tab targetting like on wow. I come from EQ and UO and have played tons and tons of mmo's over the years but never have I truly enjoyed an mmo's combat system over another to the point that it results in my favour towards that game. :)

I will say character control is extremely fluid and responsive in wow compared to anywhere else for sure.

Steam: Neph

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Nty. WoW has nothing to offer anymore. Old combat, old story, everything seems old for me and i was a huge fan of it for almost a decade. I know that once again the same thing will happen. I ll play for a month in WoD release and after that, boredom will come. Jumping in orgrimmar, doing old content for mounts/gear, chasing achievements and looking the chat for the first DIRGE of the day.

So no thanks, not going to get back to this trap again.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

Wildstar smashes wow right now. The other games still can't touch it. WS gameplay is similar, combat slightly different, but level of difficulty increased, one must be on their A game to succeed.

WoW still good, but WS is WoW evolved and more difficult

• XunejoXunejo Member UncommonPosts: 22

I will say character control is extremely fluid and responsive in wow compared to anywhere else for sure.

This is really sole reason that makes it hard for me to find a new mmo. Movement is, for me, the most important aspect of a game. Even though I'm not playing WoW anymore (and do not feel like returning), I adored the fluidity of the movement. It's also the reason I love playing Blizzard games. Even though D3 gets a lot of criticism, the movement in the game is amazing, same for SC2.  

I think GW2 actually comes closest to it, but it's still not quite the same feeling.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Crusades

Wildstar smashes wow right now. The other games still can't touch it. WS gameplay is similar, combat slightly different, but level of difficulty increased, one must be on their A game to succeed.

Riiiiight.  Really copying WoW mechanics and adding features that none of which are Carbines own unique design since they just copied from other MMOs is not evolving an MMO.  WS is just more stagnation of the genre.  Claims back by zero facts since most of the "evloving" has not been experienced by the players.  In fact one can argue that WS is de-evolving since they are taking on features that WoW for good reason abandoned.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Recently...

I am playing WoW solely for getting some characters prepped for WoD.  When 6.0 hits and the 1st Gharrosh kill you get after 6.0 hits is a garanteed heirloom weapon drop to be used in WoD and significant drop chances afterwards are two reasons to keep going with WoW if that interests you.  So I say resub when 6.0 hits or a bit earlier and gear up your toon in prep for it.

Otherwise there are some very nice singles player games coming out later this year to take up your time.  Wastelands 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, Pillars of Eternity (well this is being released bout the same time as WoD) are reasons why I am not even touching WS or ESO.  WS if it stands the test of actual critical reviews that are not biased with the "OOOooohhhhhh SHINEY!!!" effect I might give a twirl but that won't happen till next year after WoD ages a bit.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    With all these so called Wow smashers out there,and non of them still can't top it and never will. People get bored and want to try something new is all thats happening and most of them go back to whatever older game they were playing. Its just because not one of these new games brings anything new to the table. And that even hurts them more if they ask for a sub. Wildstar is the new kid on the block so all the hype and fans of the game have center stage now. Lets see how it is 6 months from now. I bet some of those players will go back to Wow like the OP did.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

You people should think about the big pictures for a minute and stick to facts.

Wildstar forces you to pay attention during leveling and WoW doesn't.  When you're comparing a game, you have to include all aspects of it though.  Heroic end game and high mmr pvp in WoW is not easy, hence the absurdly low completion rates etc.  I predict wildstars will be pretty low as well. But the key difference there is that they don't force you into any difficulty in WoW, which is why it appeals to so many. Where as wildstar, you can't be a noob in the level 20 dungeon like you can in WoW's.

But since all aspects are being considered here, let me tell you about wildstars limited combat system compared to a complete one.  Before you say WoW is spam 12345 and stand there either without mentioning what type of content you're doing.  If you do say that, I'm gonna assume you never did anything hard in WoW recently because if you try stand there on any heroic fight or even a normal mode and try to get away with that, you will die guarenteed, and perform terribly while you're alive. One must be on their A game in WoW as well to get anywhere, because LFR isn't getting anywhere. You have to use a lot of abilities in both high end pve and pvp strategically, and stay mobile. You can spend 2 minutes on a twitch stream and learn that.

The issue here is no matter what content you're doing in wildstar, you're spamming 1234 and the dodge button, and occasionally venturing out to 5-8. That being said I actually think the content itself in wildstar is pretty well designed.

So if you would please rephrase your statement to, leveling in wildstar requires more attention than WoW's leveling to actually be valid, though I know being valid is hard for people still brainwashed by hype, that would be lovely. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    WoW won't have any new content until the the next expansion so there is no rush to resub.  I would recommend hanging out in Wildstar for two more months then coming back to WoW when the hype train for WoD is in full swing.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by furbans

Riiiiight.  Really copying WoW mechanics and adding features that none of which are Carbines own unique design since they just copied from other MMOs is not evolving an MMO.  

The irony. ( hope I don't need to explain to you what that means )

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85

So I jump from MMO to MMO trying to get the original feeling I got in DAOC and the 2004 edition of WoW.

I still get the joy of exploration and wonder in a few of the new MMOs but a lot falls flat.

ESO; I was happy with, until they nerfed the ever living dog piss out of templars, because of how bots used them to farm, if I am understanding correctly. I had odd play times, I went from being able to solo VR3-5 content in the quest hubs to dying constantly regardless of my build. I'm not keen on healing a mob to death in 30 minutes or more. I cancelled and moved on.

Wildstar; Right now, I feel like it is WoW in space. I love the combat. I have a fun time with exploring and double jump. I do wish the hotbar had two more slots, as on a PVP server I'm either set up for PVE or PVP, finding a medium for both usually ends up with me dead. I dig it, most of my friends who quit WoW with Cata are there now, though they all would rather not level. I'll probably stay here a while.

WoW - It's doing too little too late. Graphics overhaul? Other games did it sooner and faster. Whole engines, mobs character races, zones, worlds gear. I don't understand what the issue is. Smaller studios have done it with less. And now they trickle info for WoD out. Tell us too soon, give us too little. It leaves me disinterested.

My biggest catch for new MMOs is people to play with. Many communities are tight knit. Breaking into them is difficult, but getting together old friends to play is a pain too. There seem to be way more trolls these days, or brash, rude and absurd players. I might just be old, but I want to play the game with like minded people, not troll all day and be a douche in all the trade channels while telling everyone to L2P.

One thing that WoW, and all the older MMOs have over the new ones is leveling path. Both ESO and Wildstar have a very limited leveling path. Making playing an alt while waiting for friends to level up or log on boring as all get out. Things should be getting bigger not smaller, options should be getting more vast, not shrinking.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by furbans

Riiiiight.  Really copying WoW mechanics and adding features that none of which are Carbines own unique design since they just copied from other MMOs is not evolving an MMO.  WS is just more stagnation of the genre.  Claims back by zero facts since most of the "evloving" has not been experienced by the players.  In fact one can argue that WS is de-evolving since they are taking on features that WoW for good reason abandoned.

Is an Aston Martin that much different to a Ford car i.e. it has an engine, boot, wheels, steering etc?

You're criticism of Wildstar is based on your love of WoW and sentimentality.

Wildstar has taken all the best bits from all of the 'cars' on the market and made a 'supercar' - of the themepark variety.  so if you like a themepark 'car', then Wildstar is that choice.

People are playing Wildstar and enjoying it immensely.  WoW is tired, lacking in new content and nothing ever develops very much.  Housing after 10 years!  Dear oh dea.  People have been asking for years, but Blizzard never listens - it just takes the monthly subs for delivering little or no new content.

• thormondthormond Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Recently (like a month ago) I tried some oldschool private server TBC action and I'd say it was so much better experience than current WoW and most of these new-gen MMOs until endgame PvP balance came out (enh shaman sucked big time compared to rouges with warglaives, too much CC on certain classes, etc). It's like they were pretty close to perfection in target-based MMOs and then cata ruined everything
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

There are many reasons why people go back to WoW, such as, friends & family, content, pvp, raids, combat, familiarity, etc.

For me personally, it's the controls & movement of the game, which is crucial in pvp.  They just feel natural.  When you strafe and jump, the latency response time is great, without any delays, and if there is any, it's due to hardware lag.  This is where most newer MMOs fail.  Take GW2 for example, and try strafing and jumping in that game.  It doesn't feel natural at all.  When you jump, your head hits an invisible ceiling, and the physics are all wrong.  The strafing also has a slight delay with the animations, which is intended to be more stylized, as one dev admitted.  In Rift, it feels different too, and many other newer MMOs.  The animations, movement, and response time, is key to good design, since it's supposed to connect the user and client, and this is where WoW continues to shine.  (Many people will disagree with me here, but that's fine. lol.)

Another aspect of WoW that keeps me coming back, is the immersive, seamless zoning, in the open-world.  It's not all seamless, but the majority of the world is.  You can literally run from one end of the continent to the other without a loading screen.  This can't be done in Swtor, or FFXIV.  I'm not sure if this is possible in ESO, Tera, or Wildstar, but too much instancing kills the immersion of an open-world, and this is where WoW got it right, until they started adding phased instances.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If only Blizzard would release more contend then i would be back in a heartbeat.
    But their way of shitting on their subscipbers has reached new heights with every expansion.

I would still be subbed to it if only it was for exciting updates.
    But no way in hell i keep playing the same contenf for months on end let alone a year.

I think WoW is still king of the hill and other mmo just fail to deliver.
    ESO was a 3 week adventru before i puked it out.

Also Tab Target wins against console controls, hated it in GW2 / Tera / ESO / Wildstar.
    Specialy in PvP if you want to land CC or just focus fire a target.
    To this day nothing has been the responsiveness of WoW's combat.
    Wich says alot about other studio's :P

If only Blizzard would add more frequent upates for their playerbase....

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Also Tab Target wins against console controls, hated it in GW2 / Tera / ESO / Wildstar.
    Specialy in PvP if you want to land CC or just focus fire a target.
    To this day nothing has been the responsiveness of WoW's combat.
    Wich says alot about other studio's :P

If only Blizzard would add more frequent upates for their playerbase....

There is something about Tab Targeting. All of these new combat systems were created to be different and better, but when it comes down to it, I would rather use my many abilities rather than 5-8 of them at a time. I sometimes think aiming and dodging isn't fun and that it is just as repetitive as any other combat system, and sometimes gets annoying quite frankly.

I am excited for Archeage, WoD, and the new Rift Expansion. We will see which one holds my attention, but coincidentily they all have Tab Target and I am perfectly OK with that.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Nope OP, I myself won't go back to WoW unless Blizzard gets smart and hosts some 1.12.1, 2.4.3, and 3.35 version servers. Everything else was just a mess. Yes, I will probably buy WoD but won't play. Its more for collection purposes now, like a series of legendary comic books that have gone into bad production.

Honestly, I'm quite happy and having a "Vanilla WoW " feeling with Wildstar.  It has brought back some of those nerdy feelings I got years ago.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    You're right, WoW still is the only one worth putting time into. The thing is, I don't want to play wow anymore. I am trying my hand at FFARR on ps4.