Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Serious Business

Comments

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

Polished game, seems to be lots of content, solid premise, pretty good combat.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it's yet -ANOTHER- solo quest grinder, and I absolutely can't force myself to level through another solo quest grinder (especially when the average quest gives 1-3% experience, and you often have 15-20 thrown at you at once).

Until MMORPGs move away COMPLETELY from solo quest grinding, I have a feeling I'm done with the genre.  Sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon.

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I don't get it...the OP hasn't been edited and it's crystal clear what they're talking about....how are people so confused about this ?

Notice how pretty much every poster whos confusing it with game downloads, is attempting to spin its "sales/game downloads" number in a negative manner. I think its crystal clear why they are so confused :P

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by MMOManiacs
    I don't get it...the OP hasn't been edited and it's crystal clear what they're talking about....how are people so confused about this ?

Notice how pretty much every poster whos confusing it with game downloads, is attempting to spin its "sales/game downloads" number in a negative manner. I think its crystal clear why they are so confused :P

Could it be that they are here merely to voice their negative opinion about the game, and not really discuss the article's subject at all?

Hmm.

Well, I use mods myself.  My favorite is 'Lockdown' it turns the game's combat into 'pretty much' TERA.  Which makes me extremely happy with this game. 

http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220693-lockdown

There is a link for it, hope people try it out and are as happy with it as I am.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

beat me to it lol

On topic, Carbine seem to be on the ball and doing as they said they would. 

The final paragraph is very true in my case, this is the first game i haven't hit max level so quickly, Wow, FFXIV, Tera, i hit max level swiftly. Being playing since headstart and only 18, been spending so much time with housing, crafting and making money which surprisingly hasn't bored me yet. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I guess the "lets have our game look like WoW" approach must be working.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    I dont care about numbers. Even if its 500k or 5m, the point is i have great fun. This is really what matters to me.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I guess the "lets have our game look like WoW" approach must be working.

Because the game has had 2.2 millions addons downloaded for it? Yet another who didnt read the article :/

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol now wait, wouldn't it be hilarious if someone created a wow skin :p

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Game is really fun but the actual performance is atrocious.  I can't believe people bashed ESO for it's launch I have had 100x the problems with this game.  The game runs horribly.  CTD's, blue screens, UI not loading, d/c's from server, and the list goes on.  It's been the worst MMO launch for me in years.

Inb4 it must be my pc..... lulz

Steam: Neph

Fine here now with my 460 and phenom 4. No crashes or bugs found, did have probs at start but does seem to be gradually settling down.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

For a majority of players, Wildstar has been the smoothest launch for an MMORPG in a very long time.  No gaming company can account for EVERY computer configuration and there is likely some kind of compatibility issue with your particular rig.

As for the 2.2 million ADD-ON downloads, and the people confusing that with game downloads, you just make me weep for the species.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• JOverlordJOverlord Member Posts: 132
    I misread what It said. Just woke up a little bit before. I thought it was 2.2m game downloads. Somehow skipped over the add-ons part. 
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

I would be curious to find out if they are adding in downloads of the different iterations of each add-on.  I think I've downloaded a couple of them about 5 times due to updates.  That would skew the numbers.

Either way, 2.2 million is still a very large number considering most players don't even use them at all.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

Originally posted by Kaladin

For a majority of players, Wildstar has been the smoothest launch for an MMORPG in a very long time.  No gaming company can account for EVERY computer configuration and there is likely some kind of compatibility issue with your particular rig. As for the 2.2 million ADD-ON downloads, and the people confusing that with game downloads, you just make me weep for the species.

For most players? You got that data where? Because most players in my experience think the game runs like crap. Anecdotal evidence is Anecdotal. My 267 steam games gw2 cube world eso dawn gate Lol strife infinite crisis smite all work with no issues but If one of 300 Games on my PC doesn't work it must be my PC Right? I have a 3.4ghz i7 8gb of ram and a 7950 there's no reason for the crap performance except for their programming.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I think this thread is utterly confused.

Yes, this. Let me quote the article for everyone posting so far...

"I grabbed the Curse Client and started leafing through their massive library. Over 250 addons have been submitted which, according to Jon Wiesman, WildStar’s Lead Client Engineer, have been downloaded more than 2.2 million times."  - The article

Yet people keep saying this in some way is 'game downloads' in this thread, which is simply untrue.

This is no way relates to the number of players, except that you can bet your average player isn't downloading mods, as average players in most games don't use mods.  Meaning that there is a lot of 'advanced user' interest in wildstar.  Advanced users being people who are content creators and content users,  aka Raiders.

Which is what the game was made for, raiders.

Seems like a good showing!

It's what happens in these forums any time numbers are revealed for a game.

The rabid fans immediately pounce on the biggest number shown, and begin spinning it to somehow be an indication of "the number of people playing", declaring the game a raving success.  Anyone who disagrees, or attempts to put the information in proper context is immediately dismissed as "a hater".

The rabid haters take the numbers and immediately try to dismiss them in any way they can to make the game sound like it's failing horribly and not doing well at all. Occasionally, they'll flat out accuse the developer of lying. Anyone disagreeing with them or putting the information in proper context is called "a fanboy".

Members of both groups - the rabid fans and rabid haters - will often pull numbers out of thin air and begin doing interesting mathematical gymnastics with them to prove their point...

Then there's the third category... the ones with no strong feelings either way, reading the information to be exactly what it's described as and attempting to explain it in context to the other two camps. Occasionally, these people will question the data in terms of whether it's well qualified or not in the article. For example, is the company giving straight-up information, or are they using carefully chosen language to make it *sound* impressive, though it really isn't on closer inspection. A common example is the difference between the number of actual active subs, versus the number of registered accounts (which aren't necessarily active). Which ever is the bigger number, is the one the developer/publisher will typically go for.

When a "third category" member points this out, they're accused of being either a "fanboy" or a "hater", depending on who they're responding to and/or disagreeing with.

This is basically what plays out for every news article involving numbers, for pretty much every MMO. Welcome to MMORPG.com's forums lol.

Nobody I'm my guild has any problems with performance now as far as I am aware, things have gradually improved,. I'm at med settings now with a phenom 955 @3.4 and 460 , and I get a steady 30 now (I've capped @ 30) carbine hav aknowledged issues and that's allways a good thing.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Nobody I'm my guild has any problems with performance now as far as I am aware, things have gradually improved,. I'm at med settings now with a phenom 955 @3.4 and 460 , and I get a steady 30 now (I've capped @ 30) carbine hav aknowledged issues and that's allways a good thing.

If I was you I would consider myself having performance problems.  I can play the game just fine and get a solid 30-45 FPS the problem is I should be easily hitting double that number with the graphical fidelity in this game.  There's no reason a game like ESO runs at a solid 60-80FPS even with 100 players on my screen and WS's engine chokes so hard.  The other joke is I can turn everything to Very Low and it hardly makes a difference performance wise compared to Very High or w/e it is.

Originally posted by Nephaerius

For a majority of players, Wildstar has been the smoothest launch for an MMORPG in a very long time.  No gaming company can account for EVERY computer configuration and there is likely some kind of compatibility issue with your particular rig.

As for the 2.2 million ADD-ON downloads, and the people confusing that with game downloads, you just make me weep for the species.

For most players? You got that data where? Because most players in my experience think the game runs like crap. Anecdotal evidence is Anecdotal. My 267 steam games gw2 cube world eso dawn gate Lol strife infinite crisis smite all work with no issues but If one of 300 Games on my PC doesn't work it must be my PC Right? I have a 3.4ghz i7 8gb of ram and a 7950 there's no reason for the crap performance except for their programming.

And most players in my experience are having the former rather than the later experience.

Yes the game could use some optimization, but frankly when talking on MMO launches, needing some optimization as it's primary problem makes this game's launch the best in all of MMO history (pretty much)

I mean every other launch I can recall had a plethora of problems, cough ESO and it's zone roll backs every few hours unplayable first dungeons and horrible lag / desync issues.   Then you could look at WoW and it's horrible launch, or Aion's sitting hours to be in ANY server, same thing for SWG, lets check out DAoC, yep balls deep queues for days.

Wildstar had queues, on SOME servers, there was still never a queue for me on my server of choice, and many others, it's bugs are being rapidly addressed, and I've seen far less issues than any other game when it comes to 'launch pains'.

All of which is why the 'advanced users' are enjoying this game (the people who download mods are a small part of the gaming community). 

If I was you I would consider myself having performance problems.  I can play the game just fine and get a solid 30-45 FPS the problem is I should be easily hitting double that number with the graphical fidelity in this game.  There's no reason a game like ESO runs at a solid 60-80FPS even with 100 players on my screen and WS's engine chokes so hard.  The other joke is I can turn everything to Very Low and it hardly makes a difference performance wise compared to Very High or w/e it is.

The human eye (generally) can't perceive a difference past around 25-30 fps.  Hence why games like Halo 3 are locked at 30fps, and why movies are 24fps.  So... not sure what kind of eyes you are using or why you need it to have dramatically more FPS than a human can even see but... yeah...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

And most players in my experience are having the former rather than the later experience.

Yes the game could use some optimization, but frankly when talking on MMO launches, needing some optimization as it's primary problem makes this game's launch the best in all of MMO history (pretty much)

I mean every other launch I can recall had a plethora of problems, cough ESO and it's zone roll backs every few hours unplayable first dungeons and horrible lag / desync issues.   Then you could look at WoW and it's horrible launch, or Aion's sitting hours to be in ANY server, same thing for SWG, lets check out DAoC, yep balls deep queues for days.

Wildstar had queues, on SOME servers, there was still never a queue for me on my server of choice, and many others, it's bugs are being rapidly addressed, and I've seen far less issues than any other game when it comes to 'launch pains'.

All of which is why the 'advanced users' are enjoying this game (the people who download mods are a small part of the gaming community). 

My only problem at ESO launch some quests I couldn't complete due to de-sync, log out, log back in, issue resolved. You mention Aion's launch the only issue was Queue times.  Here's Wildstar - Every time I select my character from selection it takes all day to show the loading bar, once the game loads it takes another day to show the UI and everything else (if I reload the game everything happens in seconds), about 50% of the time the game will crash here, I restart the game and log in and get in with no issues.  I get random timeouts/dc's from the server when my net is just fine (I'm streaming video at the same time without interruption).  Got a random blue screen the other day.  I have desync in WS and huge lag spikes as well. 

Better launches than WS in my experience: GW2, SWTOR, Defiance, Age of Wushu, Darkfall Unholy Wars (yeah I said it lol), TSW, FFXIV 2.0, Rift, Tera, DCUO, STO, Aion (the only launch problem was queues), I mean pretty much every game I've played since 2009 has had a better launch than this game.

Worth pointing out - I was subbed to ESO and cancelled my sub and subbed to WS so I am enjoying the game and am not on an ESO is better rampage.  Like I mentioned earlier my PC is on the high end, I have 300 games working just fine, and I'm no dummy when it comes to PC gaming but I appreciate your "advanced users" have no issues comment lulz since downloading an Add On or mod represents technical skill.

The human eye (generally) can't perceive a difference past around 25-30 fps.  Hence why games like Halo 3 are locked at 30fps, and why movies are 24fps.  So... not sure what kind of eyes you are using or why you need it to have dramatically more FPS than a human can even see but... yeah...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

First in case you don't know that data about the human eye is totally false so you may want to stop spreading misinformation and siting wikipedia as your point of reference.  For starters your eyeball is not a camera and doesn't see in Frames Per Second so.....

Moving on I have to guess it's been your misfortune to play on a toaster your whole life because if you play a game at 60FPS and 30FPS it's impossible to tell me you don't notice the difference.  It's easily noticable.  Now if you want to compare 60 FPS to 120FPS sure there's little if any difference unless you have a 120hz refresh rate on your monitor. It's cool if you don't mind 30 FPS but for me that's basically unplayable.  Especially when I'm playing a game that has the graphical quality of a cartoon.

As an experiment go play so DMC (the reboot on PS3) and then play it on PC. The difference due to FPS alone is staggering. 

double post srry

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by delta9

i got a 7 day trial from a friend, i thought id give it a proper go and still i do not like it at all

graphically it looks terrible, instanced housing is just why bother, combat is crappy and it was just a yawn fest hand held hub to hub theme park - appealing to some maybe but not to me

the stats of downloads will be hyped fairly significantly due to the 7 day trials

Yet another person who thinks the article is talking about game downloads. :/

Wrong, I know they are talking about addon downloads, I downloaded quite a lot in my trial and other people who had the trial also downloaded more that I know of, so my point still stands :)

i got a 7 day trial from a friend, i thought id give it a proper go and still i do not like it at all

graphically it looks terrible, instanced housing is just why bother, combat is crappy and it was just a yawn fest hand held hub to hub theme park - appealing to some maybe but not to me

the stats of downloads will be hyped fairly significantly due to the 7 day trials

Yet another person who thinks the article is talking about game downloads. :/

Wrong, I know they are talking about addon downloads, I downloaded quite a lot in my trial and other people who had the trial also downloaded more that I know of, so my point still stands :)

Yeah the data provided here is pretty useless for drawing any conclusion with an ounce of substance.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

someone else who did not read the article.

I'm sorry you didn't like the action combat, it's very similar to TERA, GW2, Age of Conan, SMITE, a lot of very popular and well received games, so it's you, not the game.

Graphically it looks like a TV show, or something Pixar made, Pixar makes a lot of very popular things, again, that seems like its on you, not the game.

The housing is universally praised for it's complexity, diversity, and variety... again not sure if that is the game's fault.  Yes it's instanced, they simply could not provide the same experience if it was not.  They plan on making houses hook up in the future, I wouldn't be so quick to discount it, you can easily visit neighbors houses and invite friends over, housing is one of their best selling points.

I really love how they did questing in this game. There is literally NEVER a dull moment, it has the reward down perfectly when it comes to number of things achieved.  Always something to do and always satisfying.  Yes it's quest hubs, but they added a lot of variety to them, the calls coming in, the random quests you pick up off objects and quest drops are rather evenly balanced to create an experience that is really satisfying and well paced.

I couldn't be happier with Wildstar, It has the perfect blend of all the mechanics I wanted in a Theme park game.  Respectfully I think the problem is your expectations of the game, not the game itself.

I like how people assume I did not read the article when I did!

I enjoyed GW2 and AoC but Wildstar nah the combat doesn't feel the same to me.

It does not look like a TV show, yes it maybe looks like a old cartoon at best but its just horrid imo.

Some may praise instanced housing, I and others dont. That is just the way it is.

I am glad you and others enjoy mind numbing no thought involved questing though! But it is not for me, ofcourse all the reasons I do not like the game are my personal thoughts same for those who do like the game.

I will keep my hopes up for a real MMO like The Repopulation and stay firmly away from these boring themeparks!