Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 favorite classes in your mmo/mud history?

Comments

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

1. Guardian (Guild Wars 2).

This class (or profession as the game calls them) is by far my favorite class in any game. I really feel like a guardian angel when playing this guy. The weapon skills, particularly hammer and mace are great and give my a perfect balance of healing and control, while being able to tank. The visuals on some of the skills are also captivating.

2. Druid (World of Warcraft)

Vanilla Druids were cool at that time because I was actively studying real life druidry and I wanted an outlet to roleplay that. This class has always been a spiritual reminder for me. With the updates that brought about the solar and lunar mechanics, it got even deeper. Of course, the healing is amazing with these guys and is my standard reference point.

3. Monk (Guild Wars)

This is really where I learned to heal. The artstyle, the icons, the names of the skills, and the sheer healing power made this an incredible class to play. A true workhorse, this class could tank, heal, dps, farm - everything. It was a great representation of just how good the class system in Guild Wars was. 

4. Mesmer (Guild Wars)

With monk just inching ahead on my list, Mesmer is just as loved. I loved the control, the mentalist/psion flavour to the class. While I love healing, I also love wearing away at my enemies. Mesmer does just this. 

5. Medic (Wildstar)

Even though I'm playing the spellslinger for reasons I've yet to understand, I love the medic way more. Much like the guardian and monk, this a healer class that is more than just a health bar saver. The combination of healing with control is a very comfortable experience. 

Honorable mentions:

Loremaster (Lord of the Rings Online)

Great class, made me feel like Gandalf. This was the class I started with before abandoning it for the more practical Hunter. I loved collecting the pets and trying to figure out what my role was. Unfortunately, Moria was not kind to this profession and I left for the Hunter.

Spellslinger (Wildstar)

One of my two Wildstar guys, I've chosen this guy as my main because he's Exile, where my friends are. It's a great class, with some fun stuns and some decent healing. This game has a very deceptive learning curve, with this class being among the more difficult. 

Paladin (World of Warcraft)

The concept of a Paladin has always been appealing, but the first 15 levels were boring. I'm glad I stuck with it, because this class is great as it ages. It's much like the Guardian, with a more aged combat system.

Runekeeper (Lord of the Rings Online)

I loved the pendulum mechanic of charging my attunements and delivering either extreme damage or healing. The little rock was also a lot of fun. The enjoyment of this class was diminished by the stilted feeling of the combat system in general. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Of the games I've played the longest:

WoW - Priest & Paladin
    LOTRO - Minstrel
    TSW - Assault Rifle/Fist combo
    Rift - Cleric
    Wildstar - Esper will be my main

For solo play, I like classes I can tweak to take on anything. For group play, I generally spec heals.

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited February 2016

This message was edited on 8/16/15 at 5:30:00 AM

Post edited by J_Hurry on
    LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

In no particular order:

WoW: Affliction Warlock and Assassination Rogue

Rift: Mage - Nercomancer/Warlock

SWTOR: Sith Sorceror

SWG: Bounty Hunter (not really a class but you get my drift)

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    When Elite: Dangerous comes out, mine's probably going to be "Imperial Courier" and that will probably be it!
  • GurosanGurosan Member UncommonPosts: 24

really enjoyed these over the years of gaming,

in no particular order:

Dervish -GW

Disc priest -WoW

Wizzard -Mu online

Shadow officer -RYL

Ninja -Rakion

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

In no particular order:

Disc Priest -WoW
    FOmarl -PSO
    Chloromancer -Rift
    Droid Engineer -SWG
    Darkness -ToR

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

1. Hunter - Wow

2. Shaman - Wow

3. Mage (Harbringer) - Rift

4. Marauder/Warrior - FFXIV

5. Sith Inquisitor - SWTOR

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

GW 1:  Mesmer

GW 1:  Necromancer

LotRO:  Rune-Keeper

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

1. Retribution Paladin(WoW)

2. Vengeance Juggernaut(Swtor)

3. Dirty Fighting Scoundrel(Swtor)

4. Lancer Dragoon (FFXIV)

5. Assault Vanguard(Swtor)

these are the classes & specs i enjoy most in both PvP & PvE.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

1- Paladin -- Wow

2- Druid feral -- WoW

3- Hunter -- Asheron's Call

4- Thief -- Gemstones

5- Hunter -- LOTRO

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

1. Enchanter (Everquest)

2. Blood Mage (Vanguard)

3. Druid (WoW)

4. Engineer (Warhammer)

5. Necromancer (Everquest)

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

0. DDO Multiclasses

1. Bard (DAoC)

2. Bloodmage (Vanguard)

3. Mentalist (DAoC)

4. Druid (EQ)

5. Warrior (WoW)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    1. Death Knight in WoW.  Perfect amount of hybridization of melee and magic.
    2. My Axe/Life Magic/Melee Defense specialized Gharu' in Asheron's Call
    3. Fire Tanker in City of Heroes
    4. Smite Cleric in DAoC (pre-nerf) or Quarter-Staff wielding Friar (post Cleric nerf)
    5. Dual Wielding Dagger, Cast on Crit Spectral Throw Shadow in Path of Exile
    You'll notice a theme of Hybrid style classes, Melee & Magic is the bee's knee's for me.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

EQ1 - Druid

EQ1 - Necromancer

WoW - Druid

WoW - Paladin

I like the concept of the D&D Ranger, but haven't really liked any implementation I've seen so far.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

The Chronicles of Spellborn - Skinshifter

Actually, every class in that game was amazing.

....Actually, the entire game was amazing.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    • Guild Wars 2: Warrior
    • WOW:  Hunter
    • Shadowbane:  Rogue Barbarian
    • Asheron's Call:  Item Archer (more of a build than an actual class)
    • Tale of Pirates: Ami/Explorer

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129

1. EQ1 - Shadowknight   by far my favorite class from anything. Havent found anything even close to it yet. 

2. Warhammer online - Warrior Priest I think it was called, loved that class. 

3. DAoC - Thane... Lightning zomg!!

4. City of Heroes - Controller, Earth/ I went Earth/Empathy but reqretted it later, wasn't about to level another Earth controller heh.

5. EQ2 - Inquisitor, melee specced goodness. Loved the epic. 

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

EQ - Monk

DAOC - Orig. Necro

DAOC - Paladin

EQ - Enchanter

EQ - Mage - SK - Necro -- pretty much all tied.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Gorwe

It is interesting how many games have been mentioned(some expected. others not so much). Guild Wars was expected and tbh I expected more votes for Mesmer and Dervish as were WoW, EQ and AC. The amount of votes that went towards WAR was what surprised me. It just reinforces my thought that with enough effort you can ruin almost any game. EA and Mythic showed exceptional ability and effort here. RK/LM/Warden didn't surprise me one bit. Those, alongside the Burglar, are classes that LoTR:O is known about.

SWTOR massively surprised me. For a game that nobody likes(hates even), there are quite some votes that went towards them(mostly towards the Inq and the BH/RT pair). When paired with almost universal disapproval of all those stories(wherever you look it's IA{ok, I get it}, Smuggler{wtf???} and SW{ok I get this one as well}), sometimes it makes me wonder the real objective truth behind all those posts. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if BH was de-facto the most liked class(story? Not so much).

Swtor is in a pretty good spot now and it has some pretty nice classes.. it's just that folks tend to be very unforgiving with bad launches(look at ESO) but after awhile they might just turn around and prove that they got what it takes.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645

I'll wade through the muck and double my post count for this...

EQ Bard - weaving and instrument swapping. Could solo kite pretty much anything with room and time if I was so inclined. Excellent support character with songs for just about any situation. The difference between an average bard and a good one was substantial.

Huge gap, then, in no particular order:

EQ SK

Warhammer Warrior Priest

EQ Monk

EQ Druid

I've played a ton of MMOs, but the original EQ obviously was my favorite. A lot has changed since then. Not much for the better, in my opinion.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

1. Rift Chloromancer Mage - Healing through ranged damage

2. WAR Warrior Priest - Healing through melee damage

3. DAoC Theurgist - Ranged damage + group utility (speed, bubble, mezz, roots, etc.)

4. WOW Warlock - especially the affliction spec.

5. WOW Monk - any of the 3 variants... they did a great job with that class.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

1. Evie - Vindictus (coolest class I've ever played in any game)

2. Sorcerer - Tera

3. Chloromancer- Rift

4. Hunter - Wow

5. Necromancer- AOC

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    1. Paladin (DAoC) - my fingers still hurt from twisting chants, but I enjoyed every minute of playing him.

2-5. Almost any class from WAR. I thought those classes we all incredibly awesome and pretty damn unique. Specifically, the Witch Hunter (though his mechanic wasn't uncommon, the lore and look was completely awesome), Warrior Priest, and the Bright Wizard.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

Any ranged non-magic class without a pet.  So an archer, or sniper etc.   

I hate it when I enter an mmo and the only ranged options are a magic user (mage usually) or hunter with some idiot pet and its broken AI to constantly piss me off.