Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: My Best and Worst of E3 2014

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Another year, another E3, but this time I’m not at the show. Like the rest of you, I’ve been fixated on every stream and piece of information I can find. Overall, I can say this year’s E3 is turning out to be an OK show, but nothing altogether spectacular.

Read more of Michael Bitton's My Best and Worst of E3 2014.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The motherfunking BATMOBILE! Also Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky.

Don't really know about worst of E3. Probably the CGI trailers with little to no in-game footage. There were lots of those.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    No Man's Sky has potential to be a deep experience, hoping it's not dumbed down by marketing. :)
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    No Man's Sky has been the most intriguing game I've seen, unfortunately I feel it's going to be a bit limited in what you can do.  Exploring planets, engaging in the occasional dogfight and upgrading your ship is all fine and good, but 20 planets later do you think most people will want to continue on?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Meh, I don't know. Destiny introduced some gameplay footage that looked really nice. Maybe you're feeling a little bit of that over-hyped vibe. 

I kind of agree with you on the other two. Not because I think they're the worst games, but because I simply want more info. I was hoping that battlefront was going to be showing full-on gameplay footage. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

Your opinion is your opinion so respected. But totally disagree.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/10/destiny-extended-hands-on-preview

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Like:

Alien Isolation

The Division

Mortal Kombat

Rainbow 6

Destiny

Zelda

Sims4

Battlefront 3

Meh:

Witcher 3

Farcry 4

Dragon Age

Sunset Overdrive

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

1)Zelda

2)Zelda

3)Zelda

Not Like:

1)Zelda not out

2)Zelda not out

3)Zelda not out

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Witcher 3

Dragon Age

Battlefront

Could care Less

Zelda

Most everything else is wait and see for me.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Like:

Alien Isolation

The Division

Mortal Kombat

Rainbow 6

Destiny

Zelda

Sims4

Battlefront 3

Meh:

Witcher 3

Farcry 4

Dragon Age

Sunset Overdrive

You have the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 on your "meh" list?! You either hate RPGs with a passion or are just plain crazy man!

Smile

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

No Man's Sky all the way, if there is at least some ground based combat in it to go along with that space combat...I am totally in it.

With Destiny, I think they just used horrible footage at the conference because what they showed on the floor the next day that IGN was playing...looked so much better.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Best:

Witcher 3

Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain

Zelda

Splatoon

Yoshi's Wooly World

BLOODBORNE!<3

Assassins Creed Unity with campaign coop

EDIT: i forgot to mention Little Big Planet 3

Worst:

Assassins Creed male only coop.... seriously, Ubi? you wont force me to play male on AC multiplayer(coop) so ill probably pass this time.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Like:

Alien Isolation

The Division

Mortal Kombat

Rainbow 6

Destiny

Zelda

Sims4

Battlefront 3

Meh:

Witcher 3

Farcry 4

Dragon Age

Sunset Overdrive

You have the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 on your "meh" list?! You either hate RPGs with a passion or are just plain crazy man!

I love RPG's but I hated Dragon Age 1 and 2.  SO boring.  The new one does look pretty awesome though.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

If all Destiny is, is halo with new skin then that's just fine with me. I loved Halo 1,2, and 3. The thing is, it looks like more than just Halo with new skins, time will tell, but either way it's going to be a solid game me to enjoy as well as many others. 

Battlefront 3 .... if it runs anything like Battlefield 4 then we are screwed - the game has so much potential but it's got alot of mishaps and Battlefront 3 most likely will have the same. Console can improve simply by limiting the number of players in mulitplayer to 40 or less. PC - servers always could use help unless they are run by the company and typically BF series has not been.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    hmm seeing my most anticipated games on your "meh" list doesn't bode well for playing anything new this year. No offense but I hope you're wrong :)
  • TumoraTumora Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Legend of Zelda should be a mmo by now...
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Metal Gear Solid V

Witcher 3

Dragon Age 3

Bloodborne

Legend of Zelda

Destiny

The Division

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Batman Arkham Knight

No Mans Sky

Dreadnought

Doom 4

The Order 1886

yea I know I liked a lot and could prolly add more to it

I really dont have dislikes lol

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

The good: Xenoblade Chronicles X was very impressive, same as Elite: Dangerous, Splatoon and EVE Valkyrie.

The bad: I was not impressed with all the same-same FPS shooters, rehashed and sequels. Looking at you Destiny.

The ugly: I really though that Star Citizen would have looked better for 40+ million raised and all this time in development.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i was really interested in The Order 1886 but after watching this video about the game im not interested anymore. Those devs have no clue about what they are doing. Disturbing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJh9ut2hrc&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    hmm seeing my most anticipated games on your "meh" list doesn't bode well for playing anything new this year. No offense but I hope you're wrong :)

Well, Battlefront and ME4 obviously weren't coming this year anyways. I was just hoping to learn more about them. Destiny was the only one I actually saw a ton of and still came away "meh" on. There's a bunch of really sweet stuff coming out this year overall.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    E3 is pretty much an investor showoff, and the video game industry is getting more and more formulated and instutionalized as the years go on......just like Hollywood and the music industry, totally kills serendipity and originality, im 39 years old now, and I get why most entertainment is geared toward the 18 to 35 year old demographic. Not knocking being young, but if you are young and don't quite get what I see, youll know it sooner or later, I get older and expect more substance, and apparently that cost to much money......But on the other hand most younger people can have more time on their hands to play games, idk
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Man No Mans Sky looks very interesting...  That shit better be coming to PC!!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

No mans sky does look bloody godo and it better come to PC..

Totally disagree with Battlefront being in the worst list.. hell even just the snippet of in game footage was bloody amazing.. I think DICE is gonig to blow everything out the water with this one..

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Yup, definitely Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky for me too.

Those have the potential to last me for hundreds of hours. Heck, I'm actually spending a good bit on something like "Planet Explorers" right now.

I'm excited for the new Battlefront, but agreed that the snippet isn't much of a reveal. Of course we'll need to wait until next year for info on that.

Originally posted by nbtscan
    No Man's Sky has been the most intriguing game I've seen, unfortunately I feel it's going to be a bit limited in what you can do.  Exploring planets, engaging in the occasional dogfight and upgrading your ship is all fine and good, but 20 planets later do you think most people will want to continue on?

That's true up to a point, they will need to put things in there that keep people coming back. But that's possible, look at Starbound: same procedural planets all over the place. But there are hidden fortresses, bases, powers that people keep looking for.

Of course modding is also a big part of that, which will be much more complex to do in this game. Still, it isn't impossible as a voxel based game like Planet Explorers has an ingame creator for 3D objects for example.

It also depends on how good their empire building gameplay is. That's something most of these games haven't yet perfected.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

My List:

The Witcher 3

End.

l2p

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Best of E3:

Skyforge

No Man's Sky

FFXIV Shiva and Ninja reveals

Halo Master Chief Collection - I've never played the originals, not owning an Xbox all those years and this year I'm switching from Playstation to Microsoft, well because of this collection right here.

Worst of E3:

Nintendo - what is up with this company?  Where did the company I remember as opening the door on in home video games go?  Where have my Metal Gear, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, dragon warrior, Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros etc. Nintendo soaked days of the 80s and 90s gone? /cry

Kingdom Hearts 3 - Oh, I want the game, badly.  But the teaser for this...still nothing to show?  What is with E3 this year and showing snippets of games that should be halfway done but seem to be just getting going? 

All these stupid Dance games, gah, do people really buy/play these?  I don't know anyone who does.