Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth a shot for $9.99 + tax? What is the Explorers Pack?

Saw this was clearanced out at Walmart and thought I should give it a try.

I am pretty disappointed with WildStar ATM and want a good MMO to mess around in, but don’t want to spend any money on something that I won’t enjoy.

On the box it tells me that it comes with the Walmart exclusive explorers pack that will give me a cloth map and let me play as any race? What’s this all about? Can’t I play any race anyway?

Is the game worth $10 bucks, or should I get The Old Republic instead? That’s also $9.99 at Walmart.

If you played TOR, how does this game compare? What would be a better investment?

Thanks!

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Both games have a strong single player story and depending on what you are looking for may or may not be your thing.  My personal take is the personal story line is a little more substantial in ESO but the companion quests give TOR a dynamic that ESO doesn't have.  Both games where enjoyable 1-50 to me and went downhill fast after that.

You can play the solo quests in TOR for free if you want and I don't think there is really any large disadvantage to doing that other than maybe number of action bars you get.  I think the box gives you those extra action bars but I may be mistaken.

TOR might be a bit more fleshed out end game and group wise than ESO because it's been out for a time but honestly I don't think of either game as really strong in that area.

The explorer pack removes the faction lock from races.  It lets you play any race in any faction instead of being locked to specific ones.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

The explorer's pack just gets rid of the faction race locks, rather than three factions with three races for each you can play any of the nine races in any faction. 

ESO is a game built around the solo questing experience, if what you want to do is solo quest then this is probably a good fit, if not, don't bother with it.  For the last 20 or so days I've had an active ESO subscription and haven't bothered to log in.  However I have player SWTOR a fair amount in that time, for me personally I would take SWTOR over ESO no question.  If you like Star Wars enough that this is even a consideration then the answer is probably SWTOR.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

You can just download SWTOR and play for free; no need to buy the box. You might want to spend $5 for "privileged" status that gives some "perks" although you don't need to. You don't have to pay a subscription so you can take as long as you want running through the storylines. This option will almost certainly be available until SWTOR closes - so no need to decide "today".

Is TESO worth $9.99? As others have said solid storylines. And if you like Skyrim then you should like TESO. No its not the same but its close enough. (If, btw, you haven't played Skyrim then Skyrim Legendary is probably the better option; main game + 3 xpacs for probably the same price.)

Back to TESO. Your $9.99 only buys you 30 days play time. So if you can only play a little the question might be: is the 1-50 storyline worth $24.99; or $39.99 etc. There are also three 1-50 story lines. You can roll alts or do them with a single character (stories won't feel as "personal"). TESO doesn't come out on consoles until "the end of the year" so F2P this year is not an option (I doubt it will). So the $9.99 (or whatever) price will only be available until the boxes sell out. How many copies they have will determine how soon they sell out, whether the price drops further etc.

Put another way: both games are good value compared to Wildstar at full price. Whether you like either game - that is a matter of taste; like Wildstar you may like neither.

• MarkAnd81MarkAnd81 Member Posts: 19

I will do just that. Going to buy TESO during my lunch break today, and download/try TOR for free.

I thought you get more stuff for buying TOR, but after asking around, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks all!

Loving TESI so far. Thank you all for helping me decide.
  • Both games are fun 1-50. After that, call it quits. If all you spend is 10 bucks, it's more than worth your sawbuck.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Do all Wallmart outlets sell things at different prices ? The link bully put up and my own search revealed no Wallmart selling the game at $9.99. So which Wallmart is the OP going to that is selling the game at 9..99 when every other Wallmart is selling it at $43.05. Where is this Wallmart OP I would like to check this out and determine the price for myself.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by kitarad
    Do all Wallmart outlets sell things at different prices ? The link bully put up and my own search revealed no Wallmart selling the game at $9.99. So which Wallmart is the OP going to that is selling the game at 9..99 when every other Wallmart is selling it at $43.05. Where is this Wallmart OP I would like to check this out and determine the price for myself.

The ones where the game isn't selling.

Pretty sure each store is run individually so if they're not selling in a certain store they can sell them for however much they want to get rid of the stock.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Not sure whether you don't know how stores operate or are simply bashing the OP - and others - who have seen the game listed cheaply. $9.99 has also been reported at Target. 

And $43.06? Where is this Wal-Mart trying to sell at nearly twice what Amazon.com has it listed at - they need to be named and shamed!

At some point stores set their own prices. In "this Wal-Mart" TESO has been put in the "clearance" category. Note: the store is also selling SWTOR at $9.99. At least game is still running even if that is over priced by $9.99. I can't be alone in having seen closed mmo games still being offered for sale. 

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    It's ok, I got 240 hours of the game and I bought it at full price just cause I was bored.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"My personal take is the personal story line is a little more substantial in ESO but the companion quests give TOR a dynamic that ESO doesn't have.  Both games where enjoyable 1-50 to me and went downhill fast after that."

Might I suggest that whatever MMO you pick, TESO or WS, you just take your time. Enjoy the game and you won't feel the need to game hop so quickly.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Honestly if those are your two choices...play rift....it's a theme park just like the other two but does everything better except for the pre max lvl solo content imo...I played all three..quit swtor as soon as I hit max, quit eso at v9...but played the hell out of rift...oh and I almost forgot it's totally FREE! With almost no penalties for not spending money
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by gervaise1

You can just download SWTOR and play for free; no need to buy the box. You might want to spend $5 for "privileged" status that gives some "perks" although you don't need to. You don't have to pay a subscription so you can take as long as you want running through the storylines. This option will almost certainly be available until SWTOR closes - so no need to decide "today".

Is TESO worth $9.99? As others have said solid storylines. And if you like Skyrim then you should like TESO. No its not the same but its close enough. (If, btw, you haven't played Skyrim then Skyrim Legendary is probably the better option; main game + 3 xpacs for probably the same price.)

Back to TESO. Your $9.99 only buys you 30 days play time. So if you can only play a little the question might be: is the 1-50 storyline worth $24.99; or $39.99 etc. There are also three 1-50 story lines. You can roll alts or do them with a single character (stories won't feel as "personal"). TESO doesn't come out on consoles until "the end of the year" so F2P this year is not an option (I doubt it will). So the $9.99 (or whatever) price will only be available until the boxes sell out. How many copies they have will determine how soon they sell out, whether the price drops further etc.

Put another way: both games are good value compared to Wildstar at full price. Whether you like either game - that is a matter of taste; like Wildstar you may like neither.

Buying SWTOR for $5 more would give him that improved status afterwards anyway. . so for the extra $5 he is going to get a month of VIP. . that might also include 500 cartel coins.  I am not certain if the included time would come with that.  but if you are going to spend $5. . spend the $10 and enjoy SWTOR without limits for a month.

They are both well worth $10 in my opinion even if you only play for the included month.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I'm with the guy who said if your choices are ESO or SWToR....go Rift.  Haha.  I am playing ESO right now, but Rift is free and one of the most polished MMOs out so it is no risk at all. 

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by MarkAnd81

Saw this was clearanced out at Walmart and thought I should give it a try.

I am pretty disappointed with WildStar ATM and want a good MMO to mess around in, but don’t want to spend any money on something that I won’t enjoy.

On the box it tells me that it comes with the Walmart exclusive explorers pack that will give me a cloth map and let me play as any race? What’s this all about? Can’t I play any race anyway?

Is the game worth $10 bucks, or should I get The Old Republic instead? That’s also $9.99 at Walmart.

If you played TOR, how does this game compare? What would be a better investment?

Thanks!

Wait your dissapointed by Wildstar, and are going to try ESO? You have that backwards. Wildstar is miles above ESO.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

(ESO and SWTOR) are both well worth $10 in my opinion even if you only play for the included month.

agree

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Depends if you are looking for a solid team based game or a solo game that has some teaming in it. In a lot of ways both are story driven but SWToR does have 2 advantages that would have me spending my money there first. 1. All content can be teamed. ESO forces you often to play solo and the content you can team is buggy and a pain. Phasing all over the place often making it just better to solo. As most do leveling. 2. ESO has some big bugs and big growing pains to get over. They have made some bad design choices that has upset a lot of players. SWToR is already running and has a solid community of happy gamers. IMO, ESO is not worth the money in its current state. Maybe it will be in 6 months much like SWToR was not worth the money at launch.
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

Of those two choices, SWTOR hands down.  ESO is not worth the sub in its current state.  If you only want to play the free month, maybe it's worth $10, if you are a huge ES fan.  And with that said, SWTOR does SW better than ESO does ES.

Also, as stated, Rift is a solid choice if you are looking to pass time.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Not sure whether you don't know how stores operate or are simply bashing the OP - and others - who have seen the game listed cheaply. $9.99 has also been reported at Target. 

And $43.06? Where is this Wal-Mart trying to sell at nearly twice what Amazon.com has it listed at - they need to be named and shamed!

At some point stores set their own prices. In "this Wal-Mart" TESO has been put in the "clearance" category. Note: the store is also selling SWTOR at $9.99. At least game is still running even if that is over priced by $9.99. I can't be alone in having seen closed mmo games still being offered for sale. 

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?povid=P1171-C1110.2784+1137.2772-L0&search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find&_ta=1&search_query=elder%20scrolls%20online&_tt=Elder

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by p4ttythep3rf3ct

Of those two choices, SWTOR hands down.  ESO is not worth the sub in its current state.  If you only want to play the free month, maybe it's worth $10, if you are a huge ES fan.  And with that said, SWTOR does SW better than ESO does ES.

Also, as stated, Rift is a solid choice if you are looking to pass time.

How do you know he/she would agree?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 21

For $10 it's worth it. Assuming you like to do solo questing.

Play a different class to 50 in each faction and then uninstall.

If you really want to play the vet levels just be sure to use light armor and restro/destroy staff unless you like to paper cut mobs to death.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

For 10 bucks its very worth it.   Even subbing for a month your still getting a deal (and i dont care for the game!).

Im surprised at Wal Mart actually,  I lived in an area previously that didnt really carry any PC games, Ive moved to another state and the Wal Mart closest by has a pretty nice Gaming section (and by nice i mean cheap!). 

I picked up xrebirth for 7.00 bucks and Sim City for 5 bucks.    The prices arent always that low but they seem to clearance out the poor sellers or bombs.  ( They have more titles for cheap i just already own them, and some im still waiting to get cheaper :P)

Originally posted by zevian

For 10 bucks its very worth it.   Even subbing for a month your still getting a deal (and i dont care for the game!).

Im surprised at Wal Mart actually,  I lived in an area previously that didnt really carry any PC games, Ive moved to another state and the Wal Mart closest by has a pretty nice Gaming section (and by nice i mean cheap!). 

I picked up xrebirth for 7.00 bucks and Sim City for 5 bucks.    The prices arent always that low but they seem to clearance out the poor sellers or bombs.  ( They have more titles for cheap i just already own them, and some im still waiting to get cheaper :P)

Ugh. Sim CIty 5 was a waste of money, even for $5. I can't beleive I bought it on sale for $19.99. Worst money I ever spent. TESO on the other hand is just epic. I am hopelessly addicted to it, and I tried a lot of other MMO's.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by MarkAnd81
    Originally posted by zevian

Ugh. Sim CIty 5 was a waste of money, even for $5. I can't beleive I bought it on sale for $19.99. Worst money I ever spent. TESO on the other hand is just epic. I am hopelessly addicted to it, and I tried a lot of other MMO's.

Sim City 2013 was wrapped up in the debacle that saw John Riccitello 'step down' as CEO of EA, parachute a man in who has no background in the industry and that what you get. A game released which was nearly unplayable and a emphasis shift from gaming quality to security of their return on investment. Cart before the horse has never worked.