Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a newer MMO, can't find right fit.

BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

Okay let me tell you what I have played in the past.

1)Everquest - Played from start until Planes of Power release then got made each "expansion" was a new cost and they were doing expansions every few months.

Loved - Large world, many charater types, casting system made you presetup for each fight so a lot of trial and error, LOVED the world factions that you could become negative or positive to, loved the crafting system. Loved that quests literally took you around the entirety of Norrath.

Hated - No housing

2) Rappelz - Played as free to play until 89 and any lag death would take away enough to ruin a long 8 hour grind and make my playing worthless.

Loved - Pet and skill card system, the class skills, the world layout, rest bonuses.

Hated - no housing, no crafting, gimmicky gemming to try and do more damage.

3)Runes of Magic - Played as a free to play player for multiple years left when they turned off gem buying on the auction house forcing anyone who did CS to have to pay money instead of grinding for it.

Loved - Housing, character system with unique skills based on your two types.

Hated - That both character types you really had to pick one or the other as your "main" and you picked the alternate class just for the boost to your main. Quests ran out quickly and the only way to level was with dailies.

4)Flyff - Played until 90

Loved - the travel feature and the easy finding of groups

Hated - the sheer monotony of the kills and lack of quests.

5)SWKOTR - Played until max level at opening.

Loved - Not much.

Hated - How actions in selection didn't change storyline much just changed if you got light side or dark side points, hated how the story between classes besides the main quests were all the same making replay ability not fun, hated how there was no use for crafting at all really.

6)Guild Wars 2 - Played until max level for start and then was hacked for first time ever and they would not restore account.

Loved - Graphics and skills based on weapon type was a nice gimmick.

Hated - How your level was determined by the area, lack of support on my first hacked account in 15 years+ of mmos when I had the account linked to my phone but got no notification and the person got logged in.

Those are the major ones I have played I have done the few day start/put down on a lot large number of games. WoW, D7D Online, LOTRO, DC Universe Online, Diablo 3, 9Dragons, Fiesta Online, RF Online, Vanguard

Okay so now you see the past so on to what I am looking for.

1) Has to be released or in the near future please don't suggest something I am going to be waiting months to years to play.

2) Has to have a nice/useful crafting system

3) Can have plenty of grinding but needs to have multiple areas per level you can do so because I love exploring.

4) I would love a GREAT questing system.

5) Should have some kind of housing.

6) Has a good skill system not just something where you level and you have a new skill or new skill level and that's it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348

FFXIV ARR.

Housing, Great Crafting, Sub-class skill system(well ok, its pretty much everyone gets all the same skills for each different class/job but, no game released/releasing is gonna have some amazing skill system).

Has generic hub quests, but the story is better than most mmo's. Also multiple zones for each level range.

Personal housing comes in next major patch, but you wont have enough money to get one anytime soon anyway so thats fine.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I'd agree with FFXIV:ARR its a gem, its out now and in a few years after two expansions it will easily be the best themepark on the market.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

FFXIV Is a good choice.

Wildstar seems like a good fit for you. It has a decent housing system, the different "paths" your character can choose gives you 4 unique quest paths. Lots of exploration to be had. It's a fun game I have been enjoying it.

I will warn you, the non-path related quests are cookie cutter and WoW level of boring. But the paths make up for it a good bit.

Has a decent skill system. Multiple zones to level in for each level range.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Try Darkfall: Unholy Wars.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Lustmord

Considering that isn't even remotely what he wants? I mean if he's gonna try a PVP-centric game may as well go with EVE not some MMO that's getting run into the ground repeatedly.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Well I don't really think a game that requires years of effort to catch up, countless hours pouring over spreadsheets, and generally agreed the worst community hands down in an online world helps him either.

We are getting off topic though, he's not looking for a full PvP centered MMO.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Considering that isn't even remotely what he wants? I mean if he's gonna try a PVP-centric game may as well go with EVE not some MMO that's getting run into the ground repeatedly.

Contrary, he lists EQ1 as an example.

He likes big, open worlds. He likes exploring around the world.

He likes housing.

He likes pre-loading abilities to define his character- very much like the custom roles system coming up.

Darkfall is a pvp-centric game, yes.. but there's still tons of pve to do in the game.

And with the quest systems they are bringing out, which they said they don't want the quests to be progression driven- ala WoW- but more story/lore driven, ala EQ1....

The fact that it has a subscription, is really the only thing that would deter him, based on the post.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Elder Scrolls online looks like it fits exactly what you're looking for.  Not my cup of tea but it has a good questing system.  Alot of skills to choose from and have to unlock by getting skill points.  (My favorite part of the game) A huge world to explore.  I believe you get the best stuff from crafting.  Only one problem, it's still very buggy and bots are all over the place.   Oh yeah, no housing.  So not exactly what you're looking for.  lol

• BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

Thanks guys. Please keep the suggestions coming as I will be sure to check them out. Let me clarify things for people based on the responses.

1) I do NOT PvP. The closest game I got to PvP was RF Online but I always went to zones where it was already controlled by our race. PvP does NOT interest me in the least.

2) You ask why I don't try single player games? I play a ton of them. I really like the online games for their economy, non static nature, being able to make new friends should I choose, and so on. This was a reach out on that venue and I was hoping to find a game I could play for awhile without getting bored in 6 months.

3) You ask why not go back to one of the ones I played. I have in fact gone back to a few of them the problem is all have undergone SO many changes from when I played they are no longer that game that had what I loved about them. For example Rappelz I loved being a priest before the 3rd chapter patch but as of the 4th chapter patch they made it so priests playstyle is entirely changed making it something I didn't enjoy. Everquest really started losing me with the Alternate skill point system introduced by The Shadows of Lucin. I really wish that MMOs in general didn't change underlying gameplay to the point where the entire game is different.

4) I am not only for free to play games many of these were  pay to play. I am however anti microtransaction because I feel that most business turn this into a pay to win scenario, like flyff and those darned protect scrolls or lose your item your upgrading, the good part abou flyff was you could get those from in game shop without spending real money.

I have tried EQ2 I could not get into it. It seemed anything I wanted to do wanted some kind of payment and I just got this feeling it was a microtransation payment sucking waiting to happen. I didn't even get far enough to find out about if it had housing or skills or anything of the sort. The Elder Scrolls online is not appealing to  me yet. From what I hear its all about the grind and very little else maybe in future patches if they do.

I'll take a look at the other suggestions. Thanks again and any others thought of feel free to post.

• wazmowazmo Member UncommonPosts: 4

I feel your pain Bolthar, as I'm in the same boat these days. Coming from the old D&D days to EQ(Beta-Luclin), DAoC, WoW (which I found halfway decent until that LichKing exp), LotRo (actually had some good RP for a while), and recently GW2 (what a joke. the whole server seemed to run around in a circle the whole time killing these 6 or 7 bosses that kept spawning /boggle) and now ESO (which is a broken mess, and RP is non existent) I can find any games that hold my interest for more than a week or so at a time. I mean, I'll jump on eqemu and get my nostalgia fix now and again, but I cant commit to any servers or be bothered to try and make any friends and hang around. Let alone that most people playing are 6 boxing or more and just running entire parties through content. 

At any rate, I'd love to find that One game that makes me think about what I'll be doing when I get home from work and unwind with it. SP games are well and good, but the social aspects that an MMO bring used to be my driving force. Now I find myself shaking my fist at the screen and quitting after playing for more than half an hour if I watch any of the inane drivel being spouted on the general chat channels. Kids these days, and I use that term loosely, make me want to.. do some pretty bad things. I have little to No interest in PVP, but that seems to be all that games cater to now. 

I rambling and drifting now, but if you ever come across anything worth while, hit me up. Would love to find somthing worth playing again.

• Jasper300Jasper300 Member Posts: 62

I recommend "The Secret World".

It is unique, has a great story.

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291
  • BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

wazmo I think you and I are similar minds. The GW2 thing was something I tried and tried to make myself like but I just couldn't. I REALLY hate the entire level scaling thing and the fact that at max level your as wimpy towards a start area bee as you were when you first started. Thanks for letting me know about ESO because I was thinking about trying that. My son is now 12 and I am thinking whatever I get into may be my first online game I may let him onto finally so really trying to mesh both his likes and mine.

The Secret World I didn't get past the tutorial. I didn't like the skill wheel thing it seemed gimmicky. I also didn't get into my characters story at all. I really wanted to like it but since its outside of my futuristic sci-fi/high fantasy settings it was hard to even get as far as I did.

EQ2 I tried and got to level 20 but then it seemed like everything was trying to point you towards a microtransaction of some kind. I don't mind subscriptions but don't push me to a cash shop each time I want a bit more bag space or I want to unlock a different character. Just give me a subscription and don't call it free to play.

I'll be holed up for 2 weeks stuck in bed so these suggestions (any that are viable) will be checked out during the beginning of July.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Bolthar

wazmo I think you and I are similar minds. The GW2 thing was something I tried and tried to make myself like but I just couldn't. I REALLY hate the entire level scaling thing and the fact that at max level your as wimpy towards a start area bee as you were when you first started. Thanks for letting me know about ESO because I was thinking about trying that. My son is now 12 and I am thinking whatever I get into may be my first online game I may let him onto finally so really trying to mesh both his likes and mine.

The Secret World I didn't get past the tutorial. I didn't like the skill wheel thing it seemed gimmicky. I also didn't get into my characters story at all. I really wanted to like it but since its outside of my futuristic sci-fi/high fantasy settings it was hard to even get as far as I did.

EQ2 I tried and got to level 20 but then it seemed like everything was trying to point you towards a microtransaction of some kind. I don't mind subscriptions but don't push me to a cash shop each time I want a bit more bag space or I want to unlock a different character. Just give me a subscription and don't call it free to play.

I'll be holed up for 2 weeks stuck in bed so these suggestions (any that are viable) will be checked out during the beginning of July.

besides the already mentioned ffxiv and wildstar, did you tried eq2 or lotro as p2p games? both games actually (afaik, for eq2 i am sure since i play it, not 100% sure about lotro since i have lifetime sub) have subscription option where you dont have to bother with microtransactions (well unless you want more then i think 8 chars in eq2)

• wazmowazmo Member UncommonPosts: 4

I've seriously stopped trying to find any MMO worthy of my time now. There's just nothing out there that captures my interest, and with little prospects on the horizon. I totally agree about the micro transaction thing also, I gave EQ2 a try(quite a while ago) and found the same issues. That and the game was dead, I literally saw No One playing the game. 

My oldest son is also 12 and we've actually being playing 7DaystoDie, a minecrafty, voxel, zombie survival builder game available on Steam. Actually kinda fun ( read Alpha ;) and gives us something to play together. Also broke out Wizardry 7 and 8 again, so I'm doing the solo thing mostly. 

Keep the suggestions coming tho, always willing to check something out I might have missed!

Edit: I also picked up The Secret World. Combat was Horrible! And the few people I ran into seemed to be mentally challenged.. Story had some promise, but I didn't play more than a couple hours, so I don't have much of an opinion on it really. Think I spent $60 on that one also, 

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169

I would totally recommend DFUW if he could replace his expectation for good questing with a ruthless open world full loot pvp environment.  Although I hear they are making quests...

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Well I don't really think a game that requires years of effort to catch up, countless hours pouring over spreadsheets, and generally agreed the worst community hands down in an online world helps him either.

We are getting off topic though, he's not looking for a full PvP centered MMO.

Woo hoo, your hater misconceptions are off the chart, so let me help enlighten you:

1. You can "catch up" in EVE faster than you can in most traditional, level-based MMOs, you just don't understand how its training works. I could explain in great detail the significance of skill caps and only being able to fly one ship at a time, but I'm lazy.

2. I've played EVE since 2006 and looked at a total of 1 spreadsheet, which is less than I've had to do in many other games.

3. To me, EVE has the best community, hands down. The people I play with are mature, knowledgeable, and quite helpful. Not sure the experience that you've had, but mine has been nothing but positive.

To the OP: I second TSW and Wildstar. Both are fun games in their own right. And TSW's skill wheel is not "gimmicky", it's innovative and a joy to play with once you understand it.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39

1. EVE has a great and mature community and its the best sandbox out there. But If you dont like open "world" PvP, forget it.

2. TSW is the best themepark nowadays imo (and in the opinion of a lot of people since its always top 3) and the skill wheel is great, but Its really a matter of taste. I love the "deck" system where you have all abilities but can only conbine a number of them. Its a lot like GW 1 a game that I really like even today. Also, TSW is not a fantasy MMO, so not for everyone, but for me its great. I am tired of elves and dwarfs.

3. GW 2 would be a good game for you, but since you had problems with the custom service (i never had) I understand youir opinion. Its a great game, but sadly they lacked in a) make a game for the funs of GW1, with a lot of horizontal progress; b) make a game for the ones that didnt like GW1, with a lot of vertical progression. Theres no endgame or skills enough... I have 7 lvl 80 chars there, with all the aesthetic things you might want, but Its very hard nowadays to play the game since Season 1 of WvWvW was terrible... and WvW is not enough for an end game.

4. You can try Wildstar, but the game is not for me. Too much like WoW and I am tired of it. But If you liked WoW, Wildstar is a better version of it, although I think they are making a big mistake with the raids concepts. Only time will tell.

The things above are just my humble opinion.