Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyforge: Any Class, Any Time, Anywhere

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During this week's E3, the Skyforge team is on hand to show off one of the game's most unique features, The Ascension Atlas. With the Ascension Atlas, players can customize their characters in a plethora of ways. In addition, Skyforge will allow players to take on any class, in any role, in any situation, at any time anywhere in the game. According to the video, this allows parties to customize themselves based on specific boss encounters, fill empty spots on a dungeon/raid roster and much more. Check it out for more details.

This week, players will get a glimpse of Skyforge’s unique Ascension Atlas, the Sunken Temple location and three new character classes: the weapons-centric Gunner, the ruthless Beserker and the merciful Lightbinder. The Ascension Atlas is a unique system that lets players customize their character in billions of ways with adapted skills, talents and spells. This interface displays all the directions in which players can develop their characters.p

In Skyforge, players develop from immortals, to mighty champions, to powerful gods gaining and developing their mortal followers and powers along the way. Empowered by the faith and skill of their followers, gods battle invading armies in intense, merciless combat to protect their home world. Skyforge features unique action combat and a massive variety of classes and character customization options as players grow from immortal to invincible gods.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    horrible VO for that video but looks pretty solid.. i love games you can freely switch roles so ill give this more of a look
  • mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    I stopped reading the point it said action combat

so hardcore

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

That's when I started caring.

Ironic.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    That looks pretty good. Kind of a blend of tera/vindictus with a PoE skill tree.  
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    That looks pretty good. Kind of a blend of tera/vindictus with a PoE skill tree.  

yea the skill tree reminded me very much of PoE or the sphere grid thing from FF

• blankmindblankmind Member UncommonPosts: 8
    LOOKING GOOD
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by seraphynx
    horrible VO for that video but looks pretty solid.. i love games you can freely switch roles so ill give this more of a look

The VO made me chuckle a bit. I expected him to say, "MONSTER TRUCKS! Ford versus Chevy. Sunday Sunday Sunday. One day only!"

I'll keep an eye on the game. I like action combat and class versatility so, sure.

haha that is just what i was thinking!! but sounds so cheesy lol

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What is the point of even having classes?  I suppose some will like the flexibility, but if you eliminate all the choices, why even bother to play?
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I immediately perked up when it said action combat.  Your point is?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    What is the point of even having classes?  I suppose some will like the flexibility, but if you eliminate all the choices, why even bother to play?

instead of having say 8 set classes you could just mix and match abilities from any and make your own class.. that to me is extremely more fun and interesting. When I play a game with set classes there's a million others playing the same exact class using the same exact skills.. Having an open system allows you to actually make your own classes which to me is way more fun than static classes.. not sure how open Skyforge is though doesn't really say how many points you get and if you can cross class and such

I like Archeages system where it just gives you a base 10 classes and you mix and match to make your own class.. to me that is a lot more fun than any standard pick one class and that is it system

With Skyforge you can play one character and be every class and not have to worry about 10 alts to play everything which to me is a huge plus

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

oversized weapons :-(

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MistborneMistborne Member UncommonPosts: 26
    The class system reminds me of Final Fantasy X, which I find exciting. I like the flexibility of changing class on the fly as well, much like Final Fantasy XI. Even if we have access to every class at every level that doesn't mean we have gear to properly use the class, so you'd still have to invest time and energy in developing gear sets.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    So classes mean nothing in this game? Conveniences like this are killing MMO's.
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    So classes mean nothing in this game? Conveniences like this are killing MMO's.

depends how much gear means.. you would most likely still have to gear out each class anyway.. id' rather have this then roll 10 alts to experience all the classes.. also not sure if you can multiclass or not with this system it seems like the grid is connected so not sure if you could overlap and make your own combo class.. i dunno but that would be something id like a lot

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is not a unique idea and neither is it good.

I much prefer the way FFXI did it as it kept some meaning in your class role.It really begins to look cheap when you can just switch to any class at any time,FFXIV did this and i did not enjoy it.In FFXI you had to return to your home/Mog to change up your class,that is much more realistic.

Imo it also makes developers lazy as they can just set their Bosses to meet one certain type setup and not be versatile in any way.

Without knowing HOW this game does the individual classes,you SHOULD have to skill up each class first before being able to just auto switch.

Developers just need to do it right,keep grouping versatile but keep the class role as well.

So what role are you playing in this game.......i am a Healer,no wait ,i am a Tank,no wait i am a dps no wait i am support ...grrrrrrrrrrr.So what is it ,what exactly is your role,well i don't really have one,i just switch my weapons and abilities on the fly.

It's like saying what kind of car do you drive,well it's a Civic,no wait it's a F150,no wait it's a SUV,no wait it's a Minivan...grrrrrrr what exactly are you driving?Well it's not really any kind of car,i just switch the motor ,cargo room,body style all on the fly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

This is not a unique idea and neither is it good.

I much prefer the way FFXI did it as it kept some meaning in your class role.It really begins to look cheap when you can just switch to any class at any time,FFXIV did this and i did not enjoy it.In FFXI you had to return to your home/Mog to change up your class,that is much more realistic.

Imo it also makes developers lazy as they can just set their Bosses to meet one certain type setup and not be versatile in any way.

Without knowing HOW this game does the individual classes,you SHOULD have to skill up each class first before being able to just auto switch.

Developers just need to do it right,keep grouping versatile but keep the class role as well.

So what role are you playing in this game.......i am a Healer,no wait ,i am a Tank,no wait i am a dps no wait i am support ...grrrrrrrrrrr.So what is it ,what exactly is your role,well i don't really have one,i just switch my weapons and abilities on the fly.

It's like saying what kind of car do you drive,well it's a Civic,no wait it's a F150,no wait it's a SUV,no wait it's a Minivan...grrrrrrr what exactly are you driving?Well it's not really any kind of car,i just switch the motor ,cargo room,body style all on the fly.

You know when you don't like any thing in any game it eventually just becomes meaningless to even post about it.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

I despise "action combat" myself. The giant weapons and crazy-quilt mix of technology and magic doesn't work for me either.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

k dude

• brEEziexbrEEziex Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Ascension Atlas, this sounds like FF X all over again
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by azzamasin

His point was obvious and I agree with it.  I'll go one further and state that I'm tired of the bandwagon effect that seems to permeate the MMO genre.  There isn't enough variety in this industry as every developer can't seem to resist copying the latest and dullest MMOs on the market, hence the trend to cater to action combat junkies to the exclusion of anything else over the last few and upcoming years.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

His point was obvious and I agree with it.  I'll go one further and state that I'm tired of the bandwagon effect that seems to permeate the MMO genre.  There isn't enough variety in this industry as every developer can't seem to resist copying the latest and dullest MMOs on the market, hence the trend to cater to action combat junkies to the exclusion of anything else over the last few and upcoming years.

Yeah they need to do something new like a tab target game because those are a much more sophisticated player base and lucky for you, you just happen to be part of that group too !

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

And your point being that nothing should ever change and we play the same tired tab tard trinity template for the next 10 years. No thank you I'm down to try something new.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I'm not sure what to make of this one.  It seems like it might be pretty cool. I like the graphics and skill system.  Not a big action combat guy...but watching the combat in the video it looks kinda fun. Hmmm
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Well that looked pretty decent IMO..  I'll keep an eye on it...
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Yeah they need to do something new like a tab target game because those are a much more sophisticated player base and lucky for you, you just happen to be part of that group too !

Once again, you guys miss the point entirely as you completely ignore my primary gripe of bandwagoning and the exclusionary effect it has on the genre.  Doesn't help that you guys also have a habit of disregarding any point of view that doesn't match your own which leads to your obnoxious use of "....and your point is?" .