Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: What's the Big Deal About Glyph?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our last column on ArcheAge we had some announcements, random experiences, and PvP chatter. Rather, this week we're here to discuss Trion World's Glyph and what the big deal is about ArcheAge. So stay a while and listen if ArcheAge is your game!

Read more of Jeffrey Lerman's ArcheAge: What's the Big Deal About Glyph?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I don't understand the topic of your article at all. what are you trying to say exactly? i think we random players in this forum already established that the best thing about AA are : pvp, farming, ships, crafting and gathering. why did you even bother writing about mediocre pve content(which the game devs don't even advertise or care about providing in a quality form) when we random players already established that it is crap? you have to go through them; yeah everybody did but they are not moaning over it, get a grip on yourself, you are writing column in mmorpg.com for goodness' sake.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MelancholyxMelancholyx Member Posts: 8
    What's the Big Deal about this article? Why are you writing a column about a game that 'isn't grabbing' you?
  • dag220dag220 Member Posts: 5
    Since when mmorpg.com is the complaints departement? Noob!
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

so you are saying that going from quest hub to quest hub makes for a boring game.  Guess what Jeff you just described almost every MMO that is on the market. I wish I read and spoke Korean like you do because I have not a clue what the storyline is about being that all of the cut scenes etc are in Korean. Or is your main complaint that the game does not give you a pirate ship along with noob armor at lvl 1 ?

While you are considering that can you name all of the MMOs available that offer a crafting and , commerce, PvE, PvP from 1 on 1 duels to large scale realm vs realm complete with castle sieges, player placed and free form decorated housing, ships varying from rowboats to large warships with fishing and pirate boats tossed in not to mention the hang gliders, mounted combat, farm wagons, automobiles, underwater farming and exploration complete with treasure maps etc etc etc.

Now you don't get all that by following breadcrumbs from quest hub to quest hub, it does take a little effort and it will not happen by level 10, but then I am not real big on instant gratification and do not mind  working a bit for the things I want to acquire ingame

Not saying AA is perfect by any means but I just find it funny reading all the complaints about how all the new games are WoW clones then when one comes out that offers a lot of other player options the  writer plays the game like  WoW and complains it is boring because at lvl 5 he did not get a pirate ship as a quest reward. Of course perhaps that is the only way the reviewer has ever played an MMORPG so he can be forgiven

I miss DAoC

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    If they post an article about liking a game they get flamed, if they post a complaint they get flamed. Should they even bother posting articles?

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

so in a nutshell you are saying in this article that we are forced to use another launcher program like steam and origin and u-soft.

And you are saying this will make games drm free....which I hate to point out is a lie if you have to use the launcher the program.

And then you proceed to say some differing points about the game.

About that launcher....I hate to point this out....but the game industry is filled with idiots....the people for example who are making and pushing those launchers are simply making a drm that is even easier to hack and rob the company.

And worse....once they deactivate the launcher...all those games wont be accessible....its the problem that they could easily fix but do not...I know how they could fix it....but its not my place to tell them.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

It just goes to show how different we all are. I've played every major MMO within the last 10-12 years. ArcheAge is the only one since SWG / EQ2 that has really "grabbed" me.

Some people just like to be told what to do and where to go in these MMOs. I don't. ArcheAge is a very fun game.

Originally posted by Dreamo84
    If they post an article about liking a game they get flamed, if they post a complaint they get flamed. Should they even bother posting articles?

all of the cut scenes are in Korean in the Alpha yet in the review "People have even stated that the lore and story following the questline hasn't helped." I have to wonder how many Korean speaking /reading people are in the N American alpha the author has spoken with to make that statement

I miss DAoC

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I haven't played the game yet, so I can't say if it is good or not, or will grab my attention, but what is the point of having someone who clearly hates the game do the column for it? I read the article looking for more info on the game only to find one long b*tch-fest, not on actual flaws of the design of the game or mechanics, but on how the writer feels everything is boring to him and how he can't understand why others would like it. Just a useless, pointless rant. Wow, just wow.

if you don't like the game, please hand the column over to someone who does so we can get some actual info about the game.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Not saying AA is perfect by any means but I just find it funny reading all the complaints about how all the new games are WoW clones then when one comes out that offers a lot of other player options the  writer plays the game like  WoW and complains it is boring because at lvl 5 he did not get a pirate ship as a quest reward. Of course perhaps that is the only way the reviewer has ever played an MMORPG so he can be forgiven

This sums up this article perfectly. Some players just don't belong in the sandbox world.

I would see your point more if this was a general article, but isn't this from the game's weekly column? We should expect to have someone a little more non-biased writing it. I'm not saying that they have to like everything, but what's the point of writing an article on a game every week just to bash it? It'd be like having a hamburger factory's weekly sales paper written by a member of PETA.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

I would see your point more if this was a general article, but isn't this from the game's weekly column? We should expect to have someone a little more non-biased writing it. I'm not saying that they have to like everything, but what's the point of writing an article on a game every week just to bash it? It'd be like having a hamburger factory's weekly sales paper written by a member of PETA.

By non biased you mean someone that will praise the game?  I don't think you can get any more non-biased than asking someone who was neutral about the game going in to write the articles.

This is a site that has spent the last 3 years throwing endless praise and publicity at Trion (who deserve an absolute shit ton of criticism that they rarely get from this site).  Someone says they dont like the questing in AA, the story and lore is weak (and you can tell this without the cutscene translations), and we don't need another platform.  None of this is a remotely shocking opinion.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Roll on beta...  I fuckin love this game..  At the moment I'm having more fun watching the twitch streams than I do when I log into TESO...

Crap fact since I bought the imperial edition...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by syriinx

By non biased you mean someone that will praise the game?  I don't think you can get any more non-biased than asking someone who was neutral about the game going in to write the articles.

This is a site that has spent the last 3 years throwing endless praise and publicity at Trion (who deserve an absolute shit ton of criticism that they rarely get from this site).  Someone says they dont like the questing in AA, the story and lore is weak (and you can tell this without the cutscene translations), and we don't need another platform.  None of this is a remotely shocking opinion.

Author of the article is missing the point, you don't play ArcheAge for the quests, nor for the storyline, they are just backdrops that support the real game play that we who enjoy the title are looking for.

I'm level 48 now, done almost all through questing.  They've supplied me gear which has been adequate for leveling, allowed me to bank some cash, explore much of the world, and somehow outwit the many reds trying to kill me along the way, especially after level 30.  (and kill them in return).

As for story and lore, that comes from the players.  Last night a same faction guild was going purple and ganking some of our members.  We rolled out in force, and basically slammed them into the ground until we eventually got an apology from the offenders for their transgressions.  We don't accept apologies in this area.....so the rivalry will likely continue. 

I've sailed across the sea on trade runs with the guild and succeeded in some cases, and in others, gotten totally wrecked by the enemy faction waiting for us in port.  We've built our farms and cities in the northern continent, and battles the enemy on many occasions in defense of our territory.

I will however agree with the thought that we don't need another platform.  I hate Steam, and it's annoying updates when I reboot, and not looking forward to more of these launchers being on my computer.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

The author should know that the only opinions allowed about AA are positive ones, unless you don't like the game, then the only ones that should be expressed are the negative ones.

They need to invest more in developing a new type of article that changes based on the veiws of the readers.

Originally posted by steelwind
    Originally posted by Jackdog

This sums up this article perfectly. Some players just don't belong in the sandbox world.

I don't consider AA to be a sandbox. SWG was a true sandbox, SWG had no storyline or questing to speak of at release.  AA is more of a sandpark and once you are past lvl 10 or 12 you can either do the storyline and quest chain or ignore it altogether. For me that choice is a good thing. I consider the first 15 levels a tutorial and the quests of those levels  gets you your first mount, a rowboat, a small farm and a flimsy glider. Other quest lines will teach you trade runs, crafting and even mining quests which have + stats mining gear as a reward

I am holding at lvl 25 now on my main and along the way did some levels by questing and some by crafting, mining, trade runs and farming. Even stalked and killed a couple of mid 30 level reds last eve just to see if my baby wizard could do it. Lots of things to do in this game besides follow a bread crumb quest chain for those who want to.

I miss DAoC

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Kyleran

As for story and lore, that comes from the players.  

I will agree that story is unimportant.  In any MMORPG.  Lore, however, is not and it doesnt come from the players.

If the game world isnt compelling Im not playing.  I know there are some that don't care about that sort of thing, but I still feel its important, even in a sandbox.  Sandbox gameplay isnt of interest to me if its not immersive, and i don't consider ArcheAge remotely immersive because of the game world.

Keep in mind I dislike PvP, so ArcheAge isnt for me anyway.  I still tried it and dont mind supporting it because it will make some people happy.  I might have come to enjoy even the PvP aspect of the game if i didn't find the whole thing so damn soulless (and I hate Labor Point system as well).  but its a nice change of pace for the people that do want what AA delivers.  And it certainly delivers a lot.

Sandbox gameplay isnt of interest to me if its not immersive, and i don't consider ArcheAge remotely immersive because of the game world.

Keep in mind I dislike PvP, so ArcheAge isnt for me anyway.  I still tried it and dont mind supporting it because it will make some people happy.  I might have come to enjoy even the PvP aspect of the game if i didn't find the whole thing so damn soulless (and I hate Labor Point system as well).  but its a nice change of pace for the people that do want what AA delivers.  And it certainly delivers a lot.

would you mind giving a summary of the lore and  the storyline. I don't read or speak Korean and I am curious

I miss DAoC

No, I don't mean that it should be written by someone who will only praise the game. But the author clearly states that from the moment he was given the assignment to write the column he was hesitant because there was nothing about the game that he liked. It would be different if he was doing a one time review of the game and he didn't like it. Fine, his score should reflect that. Its his opinion, and we shouldn't argue against that. But this is the weekly column for the game that he is writing. That means that each week no matter what topic or aspect of the game he is writing about we can expect that it will already be tinged with negativity. I would expect that something that is continuously updating readers on a particular subject to have a bit more objectivity.

Notice, the entire second half of the article doesn't even match with the title or first portion of it. What does his feelings about Glyph have to do with Archeage? How is Glyph detrimental or beneficial to Archeage or affect it any way besides launching it? In the article it says he would explain this, but all we ended up with was a rant on how the game itself doesn't "grab him" and how he doesn't understand how people could like farming.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Can anyone bother to explain in plain terms what the article is all about, my head hurts after reading this column.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    AA questing is fun if you do it like this https://youtube.com/#/watch?v=yBwLZSi7I-Q
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

I will not be playing Archeage if it requires a store client to play. In fact, I will no longer play Rift if it requires a store client to play. I already stopped giving Trion my money when the rumor of Glyph becoming a store started and will not give this company another dime until I know for sure they are not going to try to force this crap onto me. GoG will be taken off my go to list when Galaxy rolls out as well.

There are enough non-client digital store options out there for me to pass on these companies pulling this crap...even if it comes down to there only being Amazon digital, I will just use them. Anyone that doesn't use a client will get my business.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Oh goodie... another distribution store.  I already use Steam, sorry... no interest in Origin, no interesting Glyph.  The whole point of making a distribution store is to get people to centralize and buy everything through it.  Steam does it well.  Origin does it very poorly.  For me to bother with using Yet Another Storefront, they'd have to make it better that Steam *AND* allow me to transfer ALL of my steam games into it.

We know that isn't going to happen.

Sorry ArcheAge.  I think it's a good game, but unless I can just buy it seperate from this new storefront, I'll pass on it, just like I pass on EA games now.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    He's making a very valid point though. The first truly AAA sandbox in a decade and we have to struggle through mediocre quests to get to the sandbox stuff. I am in the alpha and the questing is pretty bad. I still have some hope for the game once I get into the meat but it is a rather curious design choice.

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147

He's making a very valid point though. The first truly AAA sandbox in a decade and we have to struggle through mediocre quests to get to the sandbox stuff. I am in the alpha and the questing is pretty bad. I still have some hope for the game once I get into the meat but it is a rather curious design choice.

The more enjoyable stuff really starts around 30..even a pretty casual player could hit 30 in a week or so..many need that time to get decent enough in the combat system to start doing PvP anyway... Leveling in AA is crazy fast for a Korean made game