Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"No Man's Sky"

GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but I just found out about it from E3.  This game looks amazing.  I'm extremely excited!  It's coming to PC and PS4..  What do you guys think?

Original trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s

Trailer analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF-9t4_4bYw

E3 2014 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWMcquMohE

edit:  IGN says that it is an MMO..  If that is completely true, I do not know.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Comments

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I watched the segment for this game and was thinking this would be an interesting "sandbox" style game for people that like the sci-fi genre.  Would need to know more about it, but it was certainly intriguing.  I wonder if it's simply just exploration or if there's more involved.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    It still looks good, but I still doubt they can pull it off without screwing something up.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    It looks very ambitious. I hope they can pull it off.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    I watched the segment for this game and was thinking this would be an interesting "sandbox" style game for people that like the sci-fi genre.  Would need to know more about it, but it was certainly intriguing.  I wonder if it's simply just exploration or if there's more involved.

Well theres combat too, both ground and dog fighting since in the first trailer they showed him holding a pistol when on the ground.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by nbtscan

Well theres combat too, both ground and dog fighting since in the first trailer they showed him holding a pistol when on the ground.

I guess I meant more of is there any overarching story at all or if this game is simply what you make of it, between the planet exploration and the occasional fighting.

Edit:  Just read this bit on their website:  "Choose whether to share your discoveries with other players. You won’t see them, but they’re exploring the same universe in parallel; perhaps you’ll make your mark on their worlds as well as your own."

Kind of a bummer as people that play MMOs want some kind of interaction with players, so it seems like this is just going to be a huge single player game in essence.

Course there's also this little blurb:

"And one mistake could see you lose everything. In No Man’s Sky, every victory and every defeat is permanent."

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

After seeing that it's not really multiplayer, it seems a lot less interesting. Unless they have a real interesting procedural system, I can see this game getting a bit boring after visiting a few dozen planets.

It doesn't have to be MMO, but I'd like to play with at least a few other people.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by jusomdude

After seeing that it's not really multiplayer, it seems a lot less interesting. Unless they have a real interesting procedural system, I can see this game getting a bit boring after visiting a few dozen planets.

It doesn't have to be MMO, but I'd like to play with at least a few other people.

I can understand why it was like this before when they were just 4 indie devs that probably couldnt afford servers and such but maybe now that they have Sony backing them up, they can achieve that.

• richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84

All I can say is... wow.

It'll be too bad if there's no multiplayer though. :  Seems crazy to do that in a game such as this.

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

Originally posted by richarddoyle

All I can say is... wow.

It'll be too bad if there's no multiplayer though. :  Seems crazy to do that in a game such as this.

Even if there were no PVP, I'd like to fly around with my buddies, but Shawn made it sound like how everyone gets placed on a new planet and you could potentially be separated by several light years, you could possibly never even meet up with them.

Either way, sounds like it could be an interesting solo player experience, but like others have said, I think the charm would wear off pretty quickly after exploring like 10-20 worlds.  Seems like you'd just be doing the same thing over and over:  discovering new planets and life forms, engaging in combat occasionally, and upgrading your ship.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    While in concept it might be interesting, it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  Just flying around, shooting stuff and exploring would get boring pretty quick if there's no point to it all and there doesn't sound like there is.  Discovering random creatures, flying over random planets, shooting random enemies, where's the fun in any of that?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I live for exploring things and frankly it sounds like a dream game.

However, there is always doubt when it comes to something like this.....

How truly random are the maps and how many different creatures, environments is is pulling from? Having a random generator is only good if it has enough randomness to generate. But then there's also the issue of making the randomness make SENSE to some degree. 

Starbound is a good example of this (Or at least the older versions...haven't played in a while) as it has a ton of planets...but they don't feel "Unique" enough to really even bother with. Its the feeling of "Seen one and your done". 

I would love a game like this if done right. However I do not think a group of indie developers have the capability to pull of this high of quality to the scale that is needed for this to be truly good. If it is I will be keeping an eye out for it.

TL:DR - Without a TON of effort put towards the random generation system and the models it pulls from, it would become a fairly mediocre game (Though still probably fun while it lasts, but it would be short-lived)

• mogi67mogi67 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by jusomdude

They’ve previously described it as asynchronous multiplayer. Think Dark Souls or Spore. Things that you find and do can be thrown into other peoples’ games if you choose to turn that on.

Originally posted by Bruhza

I live for exploring things and frankly it sounds like a dream game.

However, there is always doubt when it comes to something like this.....

How truly random are the maps and how many different creatures, environments is is pulling from? Having a random generator is only good if it has enough randomness to generate. But then there's also the issue of making the randomness make SENSE to some degree. 

Starbound is a good example of this (Or at least the older versions...haven't played in a while) as it has a ton of planets...but they don't feel "Unique" enough to really even bother with. Its the feeling of "Seen one and your done". 

I would love a game like this if done right. However I do not think a group of indie developers have the capability to pull of this high of quality to the scale that is needed for this to be truly good. If it is I will be keeping an eye out for it.

TL:DR - Without a TON of effort put towards the random generation system and the models it pulls from, it would become a fairly mediocre game (Though still probably fun while it lasts, but it would be short-lived)

The color palette and fauna of each planet is dependent upon the elements that compose it.  This is done procedurally. The composition of the planet decides the color of the sky, the terrain, and so on. It's not just a set of pre-fabricated puzzle pieces that are randomly assembled to make a map. 

Originally posted by Cephus404
    While in concept it might be interesting, it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  Just flying around, shooting stuff and exploring would get boring pretty quick if there's no point to it all and there doesn't sound like there is.  Discovering random creatures, flying over random planets, shooting random enemies, where's the fun in any of that?

From Sean Murray (No Man's Sky lead)

The universe as such will be a really dangerous place for you," he continues. "It will start out not so dangerous, but as you try to journey to the centre of the galaxy, things will mutate a lot more and will make your gameplay experience much more dangerous. Undertaking that trip will require lots of preparation. It will require you to, without going into too much detail, build up your character, build up your ship. I don't know how much I want to say about how you go about doing that, but you will have to co-operate with other people to make that journey. You will feel very vulnerable in this universe, and not necessarily empowered, but you will have the ability to travel great distances very fast and you have a lot of freedom." He pauses for a second, considering things. "A lot of freedom but maybe not masses of power."

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Sounds AWESOME!

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    I can't wait. Looks like Minecraft on steroids!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

One huge detail they haven't mentioned more is the fact that the asteroids were entirely destructible.   Where the projectile impacted it, it destroyed it, allowing the player to "carve" through it.

I'm wondering if this is also true for the planets as well.  In other words, will we be able to DIG like in minecraft?  Or will all of the resources were are supposed to collect be on the surface, in caves, and underwater?

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    only important question when is it coming to PC